• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just moved into a new place, what should be on the list of things to do in the first few days?

Lady Jane

Banned
I have never had so many bathrooms to make welcoming, but I will try it out. Thanks for the good advice!

Np and also go for a different color pallet for each bathroom. The rugs usually control the pallet. Our master is silver and our guest is beige. And a tray for books to sit on top of the toilet is always a nice touch but you don't have to go that far. In my experience, filling in a bathroom from scratch can be $200-$350.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
I also just got a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath

Did you not get a home inspection done? Not sure where you live and how common that is before buying.

We didn't either due to the market right now.

Go around and flush the toilets and run the taps on all the sinks. Flick on lights and check doors.

Do you like your window blinds? Seriously consider a good set of blackout curtains for the bedroom. Sleep is a lot nicer with them I find.

Say hi to your neighbours and be friendly. Can be pretty beneficial to befirend them. Just being on simple friendly terms is a good idea.

Congratulations OP.

Edit - If it gets cold where you live and have a furnace I would consider getting someone out to check it out and make sure it's all good. At the very least check the filters yourself and replace if need be.

And figure out exactly where your water shut off is.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

I also just got a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath

Did you not get a home inspection done? Not sure where you live and how common that is before buying.

We didn't either due to the market right now.

Go around and flush the toilets and run the taps on all the sinks. Flick on lights and check doors.

Do you like your window blinds? Seriously consider a good set of blackout curtains for the bedroom. Sleep is a lot nicer with them I find.

Say hi to your neighbours and be friendly. Can be pretty beneficial to befirend them. Just being on simple friendly terms is a good idea.

Congratulations OP.

Edit - If it gets cold where you live and have a furnace I would consider getting someone out to check it out and make sure it's all good. At the very least check the filters yourself and replace if need be.

And figure out exactly where your water shut off is.
Congrats to you!

I'm a renter, not a buyer, and walked in unseen (my brother put eyes on it). Taps and sinks and lights need a bit of TLC, but it's nothing I can't handle. Window-blinds are on a lift mechanism rather than the traditional pulley cord. Blackout curtains are definitely in the works as I used to work graveyard and we're far enough north to get late/early sun.

Water Shutoff is amazing advice and it is noted as a priority, thanks a ton!!

Fbh

If you have kids make them draw family pictures and ensure they don't draw weird shadowy figures in the background that they describe as "their new friend".

Make sure you don't have shitty homeowners insurance, understand generally what it does and doesn't cover. Know the age of the roof, as well as major appliances. If you have any exterior masonry at all, check the grout and try and get maintenance on it every 3-5 years. Check the basement for water intrusion if you have one, check the attic for the same/mold. If the house is old (pre-1970s), don't demo shit unless you are certain there isn't asbestos.

You have just accepted a huge responsibility. Start putting money aside for general maintenance and emergencies - don't be one of those fucking morons that thinks homeowners insurance covers everything. You generally will be responsible for plumbing repairs (in the home and excavating in the yard), appliances breaking down, HVAC breakdown, ground water intrusion, mold (even if you have mold coverage), rot, insect/rodent/bird infestations, utility company related losses, settling and foundation issues, general wear and tear/deterioration, etc.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Organise all your stuff.

And then repair + tidy anything that needs it.

Then improve your home.

Its like the sims but real life!

Aesius

Just bought a house in February.
  1. Change your air filters.
  2. Change your locks.
  3. Clean out your dryer vent (can be a DIY job or you can hire someone to do it for like $200).
  4. May consider getting your HVAC ducts cleaned, but can just have someone inspect them to see if its needed.
  5. Check the outside of your home and look for areas where water may intrude or reach the foundation and address those ASAP.
  6. If you care about your lawn, start taking care of it right away, otherwise weeds will take over quickly.
  7. Buy plungers and toilet brushes for every toilet.
  8. Buy cleaning sprays, paper towels, and trashcans for every bathroom + kitchen.
  9. Locate your main water shutoff, breaker panel, and every GFCI outlet (some may be outside), as you'll have to reset them on occasion.
  10. Check your attic insulation level. If it's less than R-38 (10" to 14"), consider adding more. It will pay for itself after a few summers and winters.
  11. Look for dead or dying trees and make plans to get them cut down ASAP.

Mistake

Making welcoming bathrooms. Matching set of rugs, hang art, have a plunger, toilet wand, and trash can (with a lid) next to every toilet, and a soap dispenser next to the sinks.
Or op can make one welcoming, and one unwelcoming. A rug that irritates your feet, no plunger, toilet dagger, a glued shut trash can, and soap that makes your hands bloody

Last edited:

Trunx81

Buy plungers and toilet brushes for every toilet.
Why did it take so long for this advise? FIRST thing you do is buy new toilet brushes. You don’t want to know what’s on the old ones.

Typical things are salt and pepper, but as you’re a cook, I’m sure your kitchen supplies are good. Otherwise I would recommend good knives (also for your killings).

•Try your bed in different corners of your room. Sometimes, bad sleep can just come from the wrong facing direction.
•Waking up to early because the blinds don’t close enough? Get some foliage for the windows.
•LED stripes are cheap and can make homes look really nice
•Get scented candles
•Get some nice pictures on the walls
•Talking about hanging pictures: Buy some good tools, especially a drill. Don’t cheap out on them and they can be your friends for a lifetime
•Buy some throw-away plates, knifes, forks and glasses for your first party. You don’t want to clean the next day
•Prep a bit, like: Every time you go for grocery shopping, take one extra can of food that can also be eaten cold in case of a outage
•Powercords. You can never have enough
•Toaster. Sandwich maker. Rice cooker. A GOOD coffee machine
•NeoGaf Gold

dr_octagon

Banned
That sounds like something the murderer would say!
Jamie Lee Curtis Halloween GIF by Entertainment Weekly

KrakenIPA

•Try your bed in different corners of your room. Sometimes, bad sleep can just come from the wrong facing direction.
Thanx Trunx81 for the advice! But quoting here, I always felt this was true but never explored it. Once my bed is in a place I rarely move it.

Does this sort of thing happen?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Not sure what area you live, but depending on climate, find out how your home handles heavy rain storms and flooding. Some homes/areas are prone to flooding. You don't want to be caught off guard during your first rain storm with a basement full of a foot of water.(if you even have a basement). But in general make sure nothing is leaky in terms of handling weather.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Jerk off/have sex in every room.

Top Bottom