• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just replayed Star Fox 1, and the frame rate didn’t bother me at all.

MagnesD3

Got any tips for that Crusher in the B route, I was trying to complete that game a couple years back and got fed up with blowing an hour just to die to that thing where I really couldnt tell what was happening. I plan to go back sometime.

Crayon

6f575bed-59d1-4e77-afb2-060176880785_text.gif

Scotty W

Got any tips for that Crusher in the B route, I was trying to complete that game a couple years back and got fed up with blowing an hour just to die to that thing where I really couldnt tell what was happening. I plan to go back sometime.
No tips for that friend. I have always found B and C routes too difficult. Maybe I will do a replay with the Switch’s rewind function soon.

MagnesD3

No tips for that friend. I have always found B and C routes too difficult. Maybe I will do a replay with the Switch’s rewind function soon.
Darn, I guess I'll have to research harder, I remember when I attempted (multiple times) it was awful and gives the player 0 feedback about what you are doing wrong..

Last edited:

Banned
I should have mentioned “in 3d games”, after blast processing power, of course.

yeah, but the PS2 era also made 60fps really common again.
it was only really at the early 3D phase where 60fps was basically mostly impossible.

and then came the dark ages... the era of wannabe movies that want to look as realistic as possible...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s so cool. I want to a timeline where consoles never passed snes and genesis. All that improved were cart tech.

AngelMuffin

That’s because along with Doom, it really had no business running on the SNES and was a complete novelty for the time.

Wow, I'm not alone. I was shocked at how intuitive it felt to me, I had little problem hitting the things I wanted and (mostly) recognizing what the art direction was trying to create.

Before you cry nostalgia, I never played it prior to the SNES Mini.

Last edited:

Rykan

It didn't bother you because the game was made with that framerate in mind. There's almost no camera movement, and all movement in the game is very slow. That's why it works.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's still my favorite Starfox, framerate has never been an issue for me.

I always go the easy/standard route and I can usually beat it without dying. Just a damn fun game with great controls and a rocking OST. I know the other are technically better games but I always have the most fun with the first. Great pick up and play game, you can finish it in like 30 minutes.

edit- played on actual hardware with a CRT. It feels fine for me too on the SNES mini.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Wait until you activate Raytracing.

(We really were lucky to grow up during the pre-fps hype era)
LOL not only it was an outlier among the vast majority of others SNES games that doubled it, but also you say "FPS hype" as if we were just pretending to prefer 60 fps "just because others say they do". No buddy, as with graphics fidelity, people's standards evolve

It's so good, bro. Have you tried Starfox 2 on the SNES mini? Short, but good.

Starfox 64 is also gold-tier.

Whoever says they can't go back to older games due to a trivial reason like frame-rate, is missing out on some gaming goodness. I don't care, because that means more for me!

Knightime_X

Try ExciteTruck on snes.
It's also 15fps but somehow feels far worse than StarFox.

I think the novelty of being 3d on a 2d platform gives it a free pass to some extent.

Last edited:

nush

People can get used to anything. It's why I'll never understand this constant gamer outrage that always happens over even the most minor things.

Spoiled, entitled manbabies that have never before experienced true suffering. Sprite flicker that makes the game look like it's being deleted while it's playing, frame rates in the single digits, games loading off cassette for 20 minutes before failing (multiple times), color pallets of double digits if you're lucky and audio of a lower quality than the ping a microwave today makes when it's finished cooking.

A little bit of screen tearing, a little longer loading or a few dropped frames and their world is crushed that their expensive gamebox isn't perfect.

Chastten

Banned
Honestly, I genuinely feel bad for people who 'can't go back to 30 fps' and some such nonsense.

If a game is good, it's good and I'll play it. Doesn't matter to me how many framerates and fps's and resolutions and pixelshaders and gigaflops it has. Also doesn't matter what generation the game is from. I can go from playing at 120fps on PC to 30ish on Switch and it takes me all of 2 minutes to get used to the difference.

Honestly, I genuinely feel bad for people who 'can't go back to 30 fps' and some such nonsense.

If a game is good, it's good and I'll play it. Doesn't matter to me how many framerates and fps's and resolutions and pixelshaders and gigaflops it has. Also doesn't matter what generation the game is from. I can go from playing at 120fps on PC to 30ish on Switch and it takes me all of 2 minutes to get used to the difference.
The feeling of 60fps is much better. Devs should focus on performance over IQ tbh. Still, I do agree that after a while anyone gets used to whatever frame rate. The point is that the game needs to be good enough to hold your attention during this period.

It didn't bother you because the game was made with that framerate in mind. There's almost no camera movement, and all movement in the game is very slow. That's why it works.
This. The game's design wasn't centered around moment-to-moment gameplay, where a dropped frame could mean a missed shot like in an FPS.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Did that one have the fucking frog that wouldn't shut the fuck up? Fuck that fuck and the fucking horse he rode in on.

Last edited:

Crew511A

Back in the Saturn days, I had no idea the Daytona USA port was considered bad because of its framerate. It obviously looked worse than the arcade, but we still played it for hours. I had no idea until years later I was supposed to be disappointed with it.

Wonko_C

It always felt super choppy to me. But things like when the ship was entering bases and stuff, with those cinematic camera pans you could feel the incredible scale of the surroundings. The only time I felt impressed by scale again was when I tried VR for the first time.

I would sell my soul to Andross to be able to play the original StarFox remastered at 120fps with VR support. Same flatshaded low poly models and all.

Chastten

Banned
The feeling of 60fps is much better. Devs should focus on performance over IQ tbh. Still, I do agree that after a while anyone gets used to whatever frame rate. The point is that the game needs to be good enough to hold your attention during this period.
Well, ofcourse. And 120fps feels much better than 60. And 240 feels much better than 120. Etc, etc. But that doesn't mean that 30 isn't perfectly playable to me. Hell, even lower than that, depending on the type of game, is alright for me. I have no trouble admitting that Ys 9 ran like crap on the Switch, but I still enjoyed the hell out of that game because I don't give a damn. After playing for roughly 5 minutes I didn't notice it anymore because I was enjoying the actual important stuff of a game, namely the combat and gameplay loop. Out of all the things I need from a game to be 'good', graphics and performance are close to the bottom of the list. A banging soundtrack and sound effects are so much more important than graphics to me. As are combat, characters, story, and pretty much everything else.

Honestly, I dread the day I become like most of Neogaf, where I dismiss a game because it occasionally dips to 55fps and the grass doesn't move natural when stepping on it, or whatever bullshit people on here come up with to trash a perfectly alright game. That will be the day when I quit gaming forever.

Back in the Saturn days, I had no idea the Daytona USA port was considered bad because of its framerate. It obviously looked worse than the arcade, but we still played it for hours. I had no idea until years later I was supposed to be disappointed with it.

Same. I live in Euroland so back in the N64 days a lot of games ran at 17fps or something because of our 50hz TV's. Or even less than that in splitscreen multiplayer. Didn't even notice this was a thing until the early 00's. I was fine with it back then, and still don't really care.

cireza

Low framerate is less an issue with games scrolling forward or super slow paced games. It is the worst for side-scrollers or free camera movement.

Last edited:
Could not say the same. While I am generally not super sensitive about framerate, Starfox and its almost stroboscope like artstyle or also eg Original Goldeneye are not really fun anymore.

Top Bottom