• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I [kinda...] Called It... API War: Microsoft acquires Bethesda/ ID, Power Move, "Direct X only", and the Fate of Vulkan

in July, did i know Microsoft was gonna buy one of the biggest 3rd party game studios like Bethesda and ID software?

no

Did I feel that Microsoft, getting an upcoming game like Cyberpunk 2077 to be exclusive to DirectX, would try to pursue more DirectX exclusive games at the API level?

maybe, it seems like a really good power move.

Make no mistake about this acquisition, Bethesda and ID, with Id software supporting OpenGL, have probably contributed a lot to Vulkan and it to them. So them being now bound to Microsoft (for Xbox, we will have to wait and see if they make all their game console exclusive) Vulkan could loose a big developer like ID who has supported OpenGL in favor for ...*cough* driver heavy *cough cough*, DirectX.

Last edited:
IIRC DX12U compares very favorably with Vulkan in terms of low-level API access and resource usage. It does suck that Vulkan might lose iD Software through this deal, but I kind of don't see anything technically preventing them from supporting both Vulkan and DX going forward.

It's not like MS can refuse Vulkan from being Windows-compatible, that'd be illegal. The main advantages Vulkan have are slightly higher FPS averages on weaker cards because it uses both GPU and CPU. I guess with getting iD Software through the Bethesda deal, if iD were big reasons in those benefits popping into Vulkan then they can apply that to DX12U and future DX.

Doesn't really hurt Vulkan IMHO; heck with Sony getting more into PC they could probably invest more into Vulkan if they'd like and I doubt Khronos would be upset with that.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Let's be honest, Vulcan never stood a chance to begin with - with billions of computers all over the globe running on Windows, it was a given MS' solution will come out as the dominant one, especially considering that the vast majority of games were already using DX11, the devs were already used to their libraries, while OpenGL titles were nowhere to be found, the transition to low-level APIs was over before it even started. I still remember how damn long it took Vulcan to take off, even harder than DX12 already, it had huge promises, like never before seen cross-platform support, including Linux, "coding to the metal" and what's not, it was suppose to be THE API to rule them all, but it wasn't before Doom showed up that Vulcan showed what it's capable of, the hype went trough the roof, but just as it all started with Doom, it also pretty much ended there, outside Doom/Wolfenstein titles Vulcan is barely utilized, and now is even falling behind the upcoming DX12U - it doesn't have RT yet, let alone the upcoming next-gen features, so even more reasons for the devs to use DX12 instead. Maybe some kind of an unexpected event will occur in the near future that will drastically change the landscape, but I personally have little to no hopes for that.

Robochobo

DX12(b) has always been something of an outlier in regards to when and how it's used. In the newer Total War titles the performance increase has been anywhere from 10-40% to framerate depending on GPU/CPU (AMD more often than not sees higher gains for obvious reasons). I'm actually excited to see if XGS can not only leverage idTech for first party games, but use the expertise those engineers have for other suitable engines and improving DX12U in general. I understand Microsoft is a software company in general but having actual engineers and opposing views from people who've actually worked in video game development will hopefully push them to take PC seriously as a platform. As consoles begin to inch closer to PC albeit with modification and customization, the performance and stability gains for both can and should take serious steps forward. I think it's a huge boon for developing for PC and lower end spec users.

Njocky

Banned
All we expect from Carmack after this is to go spend his lunch breaks at 343 industries. Let's just say his aura could be beneficial given what's going on there.

sn0man

OP. Shit! This is a good point. Vulcan has been a great part of the gaming community as of late. This makes me sad as id felt equal parts badass games and badass open source support.
But aren't Microsoft also a member of the Khronos group?
If Microsoft open sourced directX that would be a boon to the industry as a whole. Sadly I’m not seeing that happen, but hopefully they will.

CloudNull

Banned
OP. Shit! This is a good point. Vulcan has been a great part of the gaming community as of late. This makes me sad as id felt equal parts badass games and badass open source support.

If Microsoft open sourced directX that would be a boon to the industry as a whole. Sadly I’m not seeing that happen, but hopefully they will.
There is hope. Microsoft is opening up the walls a bit. The new terminal they just launched is awesome and PowerShell it’s gettin support to work with Linux. Not sure how the gaming side feels about it but at least windows is opening up.

sn0man

There is hope. Microsoft is opening up the walls a bit. The new terminal they just launched is awesome and PowerShell it’s gettin support to work with Linux. Not sure how the gaming side feels about it but at least windows is opening up.
Yeah they bought GitHub and haven’t trashed it yet. I’d really like to see them invest in or push technology out for Vulcan if they won’t provide open source direct X. I’d even be okay with a commitment that put Vulcan as a second tier effort. Like DX13 in 2021, then bring those features to Vulcan in 2022 kind of thing.

Apocryphon

Carmack seems relieved since the existing powers and Zenimax hate him.

I'm positive he's glad he isn't working there but the guy singlehandedly built the platform that led id Software to prominence and he already fought tooth and nail to keep their engines open. That he released id Tech 1 - 4 to the public for free along with the source codes for Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake shouldn't be forgotten or glossed over.

Doom 2016 was a massive success without him and Doom Eternal is one of the best FPS games ever, but none of it would have been possible without Carmack. I'm glad he's at Oculus as a consultant, and out from under a company like Zenimax, but the end result is that we probably lose Vulkan and MS pushes DirectX.

This acquisition IS about the games, but its also about the underlying technology and MS isn't going to keep Vulkan around long term.

Hudo

Yeah, I would also love for nVidia to open source CUDA... All these proprietary APIs are just locking you into their eco system.

Kumomeme

this is interesting take. i wonder what gonna happened with vulkan. MS surely gonna push directx12 unless they actually give freedom to bethesda.

Brofist

Carmack wouldn't have let this happen.

mkYjfrh.png

I swear to god if Microsoft tries to kill Vulkan support I'm gone. Linux it is for me. The cards are finally starting to look good enough to make the switch anyway with the likes of DXVK so it is viable to consider.

I swear to god if Microsoft tries to kill Vulkan support I'm gone. Linux it is for me. The cards are finally starting to look good enough to make the switch anyway with the likes of DXVK so it is viable to consider.

I've been really impressed by Valve's support, Proton feels like magic at times. Played a load of C&C Remastered with it and could barely tell it is a Windows game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah i doubt MS wants to get rid of vulkan development as they will want to support as many devices as possible going forward. I mean Microsoft are contributing memers to Khronos.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Yeah they bought GitHub and haven’t trashed it yet. I’d really like to see them invest in or push technology out for Vulcan if they won’t provide open source direct X. I’d even be okay with a commitment that put Vulcan as a second tier effort. Like DX13 in 2021, then bring those features to Vulcan in 2022 kind of thing.

Just wait. I died inside when I found out they bought GitHub. There's zero reason to believe they won't completely fuck that into the earth somehow, from a historical analysis.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just wait. I died inside when I found out they bought GitHub. There's zero reason to believe they won't completely fuck that into the earth somehow, from a historical analysis.
The thing with github is that you can transfer your repo to another git service in minutes, so they kind of have to play nice.

Razvedka

Banned
The thing with github is that you can transfer your repo to another git service in minutes, so they kind of have to play nice.
God willing another entity rises up to take the mantle. Hell, it'd be awesome if the platform itself was decentralized and a FOSS initiative itself vs under the control of any company or government.

pr0cs

Hasn't happened yet, github is better after they bought it than before, the fact I can make private repos now without having to pay is awesome. And it's GIT, nothing stopping you from making your own server or converting your projects to a different host.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
God willing another entity rises up to take the mantle. Hell, it'd be awesome if the platform itself was decentralized and a FOSS initiative itself vs under the control of any company or government.
but git itself is free and open source, github is just a service that wraps around it. There are a load of other great online services already (e.g. GitLab, Bitbucket etc.) you can even spin up and host your own service if you want.

PhoenixTank

Expect a revolt at id if Microsoft dictate which API to use.

That said an awful lot of games exclusively use DirectX anyway, so the status quo isn't changing in general.
Hell it might result in Bethesda Game Studios moving from DX11 to DX12 a bit sooner, which would be a good thing.

Last edited:
I've been really impressed by Valve's support, Proton feels like magic at times. Played a load of C&C Remastered with it and could barely tell it is a Windows game.
Proton has been pretty great as well as the Glorious Eggroll variants of Proton. What's holding it back currently is the incompatibility with Easy Anti-Cheat and VKD3D (Vulkan to DX12). I'm more of a singleplayer, so the former doesn't affect me much. However, with more games running on DX12, VKD3D will become a problem if it doesn't catch up.

Just want to point out the perspective we had in July:
Nah. Doesn't smell like the old Microsoft tricks (EEE or anything like that). A whole lot of new games are DirectX only, while some have Vulkan, or are Vulkan only.
As for why DX12:

Less burden on that side, and in theory reduces bugs on PC. Ask any software dev about the difference between theory and practice, though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wanted to add that: yes Mantle and later Vulkan seemed to provide a solid kick up the arse to Microsoft regarding DirectX.

Now, this month:
Interesting point. If iD was a big contributer to Vulcan then this acquisition makes perfect sense. It's a classic MS move.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Just want to point out the perspective we had in July:

Now, this month:
Two different people have two different opinions? Not sure what you're getting at...
I posted in this thread as well and my perspective hasn't changed beyond an extra caution to Microsoft: Trying to tell id what to do with idTech would be a grave misstep and I'd see it starting a talent exodus. I believe the absolute furthest it could go would be DX12 on Xbox with both DX12 & Vulkan on PC.

Of note as well, here is the full list of those working with Khronos Group, and thus have any access to or any say in how Vulkan progresses.
Taken from here.
Yes, id are on the list, but they have plenty of company.
Academic
Ajou University
China Academy of Information and Communications Technology
ETRI
Imperial College London
Institute for Computer Science and Control
Kyungpook National University
National Tsing Hua University
Nihon University
Oregon State University
Seoul National University
State Key Lab of CAD&CG, Zhejiang University
Tampere University
Universita di Bologna
University of Bristol
University of Salerno
University of Toronto
University of Windsor
Zuse Institute Berlin
Associate
3XR Inc.
Almalence Inc.
Arcane Technologies
Basemark Oy
Binomial LLC
Blaize, Inc.
Cappasity
CodeWeavers, Inc.
Crank Software Inc.
Cylindo LLC
Daedalean AG
Darmstadt Graphics Group GmbH
DreamView
Emersya
GO2FUTURE
Holochip Corporation
inVRsion SRL
KALRAY, Inc
LunarG, Inc.
MIGENIUS PTY LTD
NSITEXE, Inc.
OLV
OTOY Netherlands B.V.
Oxide Games
Pluto VR
SIRU Innovations Oy
Stream HPC B.V
Taskcan Technologies
The Brenwill Workshop Ltd.
The Forge Interactive
Threedium Ltd
ThreeKit, Inc.
Traverse Research
UX3D
VNTANA Inc.
Contributor
3D Incorporated
Acer Inc.
Activision Blizzard
Adobe
AImotive
Alibaba (China) Co., Ltd.
Amazon Corporate LLC
Analytical Graphics Inc.
Autodesk, Inc.
Axis Communications AB
Beijing Jingdong Shangke Information Technology Co., Ltd
Broadcom Corporation
Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
CEVA
Chaos Software Ltd.
Codeplay Software Limited
Collabora
Collins Aerospace
Continental Automotive GmbH
Core Avionics & Industrial
Coretronic Corporation
Dassault Systemes
Deloitte Consulting LLP
Digital Media Professionals
DisplayLink Ltd.
Electronic Arts, Inc.
Facebook, Inc.
Futuremark Oy
Gaijin Entertainment LLP
Hitachi Industry & Control Solutions, Ltd.
HP Inc.
HTC America, Inc.
id Software LLC
Igalia, S.L.
KDAB
Khronos Group
Linaro Limited
LIV Inc.
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Magic Leap, Inc.
Matrox Graphics, Inc
MediaTek Inc
Microsoft Corporation
Mobica Ltd
Mozilla Corporation
Nintendo Co., Ltd.
NOKIA OYJ
NXP
Red Hat, Inc.
Renesas Electronics
Shanghai Zhaoxin Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
Shopify, Inc.
SiliconArts, Inc.
Socionext, Inc.
SURVICE Engineering Company
Synopsys, Inc.
Takumi Corporation
Target
Texas Instruments
The Boeing Company
Think Silicon
Tobii Technology AB
UChicago Argonne LLC