• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know we all think differently, but is there any real reason to get upset by a video game?

Akt

Banned
I mean, for instance, when a sequel "ruins" the masterpiece, or a remake ends up something completely different from what we expected, or makers include wokeness, etc...

Maybe I am just not THAT much into games anymore, or I just love to see the chaos unfolding before my eyes, but who cares?

No game is ever that sacred, that it shouldn't be put to sleep, raped, and left on the road left to rot, and die, while wondering why it didn't stayed in its home village, and instead decided to go to big city, to chase big dreams, and neon lights.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
AccurateUnfinishedBergerpicard-size_restricted.gif

killatopak

Being upset is fine. It's a sign of expectation. It's a sign of investment towards something.

The moment you are indifferent towards something means you don't really care for it to matter anyway.

There are levels though. There are reasonable ways to be upset and there are manchild temper tantrum upset.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yes Silent Hill HD collection where even the acclaimed artist can see where they butchered it. You’ve got too much at stake when you have the rights to an IP and you’re trying to keep its legacy alive.

Outside of that…
It’s also an entertainment industry with copyright laws attached to everything and NDA’s can get your butt sued. It’s a big deal. It’s just the rest of the world moves on regardless what happens. I’m sure if you started to mess with copyright you’d feel the heat.

Arachnid

Yeah, IMO. People spend years of their lives waiting on these products. It makes perfect sense to be upset or irritated when it doesn't deliver. I never understood people who try to downplay those feelings. Let others vent, as long as they aren't actively malicious or attacking others/devs.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm on the same boat, whenever someone says that "the direct/state of play/E3/whatever didn't show what they wanted and it infuriates then" I am like "come on, just go play or do something else, wtf?"... Like gaming is their only reason to exist because their lives are too empty out whatever lol

Markio128

I think it’s okay to be upset by poor gameplay/performance/bugs, but not by a developer’s storyline/vision. That just reeks of childishness.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's human nature to be disappointed or angry at something you like being tarnished.
The problem comes with accepting other people's opinions.
And when it's your opinion you are invested more about your opinion then the actual subject.
Which is ironically the problem with Social media too.

I ain't going to judge anyone, as long as you behave yourself within what is reasonable I think it's ok to be upset.

I was fucking upset with Mass Effect 3, I could never have predicted they would disappoint me to that degree, it was one of my favorite series and now I legit hate it, I find it absurd that people even gave Andromeda a chance.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm still pissed about Dark Souls 2.

The first game was one of my favorite games back then (still kinda is) and it was mostly because of the world design and it's atmosphere, so seeing the mess of disjointed and incomplete levels that was Dark Souls 2 was a real big disappointment.

The lazy boss design (another thing I loved about the first game) and graphical downgrade before being released didn't help either.

So yeah OP, ifyou want to put this game to sleep, rape it, and left it on the road to rot and die, be my guest.

But yeah usually it's just fine, don't use to get pissed with games, be it playing them or whatever.

Catphish

I got so mad after losing a game of NFL2K1 online, on the last play of the damn game, that I stormed into the bathroom, grabbed the towel slung over the shower curtain, yanked down with such great anger and ferocity, that I snapped the fucking curtain rod in an explosion of plastic shards, projectile rings, and whatever springy, shooty metal bits were inside. Bahhhh, fuck!

Fast forward 10 minutes later to me standing in the checkout line in Walmart, beer buzz ruined, positively seething, clutching my new shower curtain rod like a fucking polearm, boring a hole through the goddamned conveyor belt with my blazing eyes of rage...

Good times. :messenger_pouting:

Batiman

Banned
I’m not a big fan of how they remade FF7 but the story changes weren’t the issue for me. I’m cool with things changing in remakes sequels etc. I find it funny how people say it ruins the older experience or something as if they ever went away. It’s like people complaining Disney Star Wars ruined the OT. Like it didn’t go anywhere? You don’t have to watch the new content. Same goes for games

I'm still pissed about Dark Souls 2.

The first game was one of my favorite games back then (still kinda is) and it was mostly because of the world design and it's atmosphere, so seeing the mess of disjointed and incomplete levels that was Dark Souls 2 was a real big disappointment.

The lazy boss design (another thing I loved about the first game) and graphical downgrade before being released didn't help either.
But yeah usually it's just fine, don't use to get pissed with games, be it playing them or whatever.

Dark souls 2 gives me that same feeling in a dream where you're reaching out in front of you but you can't quite grab the person's hand.
4.jpg

As flawed and as disappointing as it is, the game still has this odd beauty to it that I finally managed to somewhat experience again thanks to Elden Ring.

Over someone saying a game you like is bad, no. Over a game being ruined by the devs? Yeah. If you weren't passionate about games to some degree I don't think you'd be here.

Upset when someone criticizes your game hardware... or tv 🤭 of choice, no.

Swift_Star

Banned
I mean, for instance, when a sequel "ruins" the masterpiece, or a remake ends up something completely different from what we expected, or makers include wokeness, etc...

Maybe I am just not THAT much into games anymore, or I just love to see the chaos unfolding before my eyes, but who cares?

No game is ever that sacred, that it shouldn't be put to sleep, raped, and left on the road left to rot, and die, while wondering why it didn't stayed in its home village, and instead decided to go to big city, to chase big dreams, and neon lights.
I can’t stand to read people crying over “wokeness” anymore. Let creators do whatever they want to ffs.

Discussion, analysis, debate or whatever; you can be upset or disappointed....or not feel anything about it.

But as a Swift_Star said, there is this annoying narrative/agenda on both camps that derail any genuine discussion, even about those topics themselves.

Discussion, analysis, debate or whatever; you can be upset or disappointed....or not feel anything about it.

But as a Swift_Star said, there is this annoying narrative/agenda on both camps that derail any genuine discussion, even about those topics themselves.
Wanting political agendas out of games does not equate to putting them there in the first place.

PhaseJump

Banned

UJbm.gif

Top Bottom