• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like Firefox but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakhov

Banned
I need to get rid of some problems that are really annoying me.

One problem is sometimes when I try to reply on a message board like here, after a few words/letters, firefox won't allow me to type further so I'll have to go back and hit reply and try again wich is really annoying. How could I fix that, does it happen to you?

One other problem with forums is on the reply pages, the reply space is always smaller than in IE, why is that?

Also, one other thing is from time to time I'll go into my favorites or any menu or whatever and Firefox will just freeze and freeze my whole computer wich is mega annoying :p

And yes before you ask, I have the new version.

Vlad

I've noticed that reply boxes on some boards tend to be smaller, too.

I downloaded Mozilla a few days ago, and while I'll stick with their email client, the browser does leave a lot to be desired. I'm sick of it popping up an error box telling me that "The document contained no data" every time it can't load something on a page. Not only that, but it seems to be a LOT slower than IE, too.

Malakhov

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Seems like the annoyances out-weight the benefits. I like Avant personally.
Not when you browse forums a lot.
I browse GA forums, an Hockey Forum, an Aquarium/Fish forum extensively daily so...

If I can't fix this I'll have to go back to IE.

I haven't had any of these problems. Sometimes I run into a page that won't display a video in Firefox, but that is what the IE View extension is for.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I tried Firefox when there was that big orgy thread about it in the old GAF, but I uninstalled it within ten minutes due to it loading pages -- images, specifically -- slow as molasses. I'm unfortunately stuck on dial-up at home, so any additional time I'm stuck waiting for loading is especially painful for me.

Plus, I'm so used to hitting ctrl-n to open up new IE windows, then tabbing through them and other program with alt-tab, that the different tab command in Firefox really threw me off. It was irritating to go from DreamWeaver to Firefox with alt-tab, but then have to switch between my Firefox windows with something else. I ended up just opening up multiple Firefox browsers, which made me realize I might as well be using IE.

This thread reminds me, though, that I'd like to try their email program, since Outlook has ten million security holes.

Malakhov

Banned
What's IE view? I have that extension that lets you open pages in IE when Firefox refuses to load something but I don't think that's IE View.

arter_2

wow i found it alot faster the only problem i have run into is some sites video dosn't run becuase it uses a windows media plugin and ie and fire fox fight.

SickBoy

I've got to say that this is the first time I've heard of some of these problems. I almost exclusively use Mozilla (full bloated version, not Firefox) now and have very little problem with anything. Used to be some made-for IE pages didn't display right, but that's very rare for me now.

IE's fine, but Mozilla is a much better alternative for me.

-SB

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I run Firefox in XP and 2000 and have no problems displaying/loading this or any forum. It loads pages faster than IE, blocks adds, and with the extensions you can add to it the browser just is so convenient, fast, easy to use. Just Mouse Gestures + Tab Browser Extensions make Firefox >>>> IE.

IEView allows you to open the page you are currently viewing in IE for pages that are IE specific.

Haven't quite experienced the problems you're speaking of, except for the smaller text boxes, which I'd chalk up to the differences between IE and Moz formatting pages (Most pages are designed for IE, of course). However, IE's shitty CSS support is a killer for me.

arter_2 said:
wow i found it alot faster the only problem i have run into is some sites video dosn't run becuase it uses a windows media plugin and ie and fire fox fight.

That has to do with ActiveX, which FireFox doesn't support that well, however, there are some registry settings you can edit, but for those rare instances (I'm guessing IGN) I'll use IE.

Malakhov

Banned
It's really annoying, I could live with the reduced reply space but I'd like to get rid of the "can't type anymore" bug while replying to threads and the sudden freezes.

I love Firefox and I wouldn't like having to replace it, I find it much much faster than IE.

My main problem with Firefox is that I occasionally get the error:

Cannot find file "/".

When going to fark.com occasionally. I'm thinking that it's a caching problem on my end.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah I don't get those problems and have never heard of them either. Netscape 7 is better than IE too.

Never had a single problem, and I do find Mozilla a lot faster than IE even with the bulkieer version. PCs games be so different. Oh, and I prefer Mozilla over Firefox just because Im more used to the whole Netscape feel of everything being rolled into one.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Malakhov said:
One other problem with forums is on the reply pages, the reply space is always smaller than in IE, why is that?

Because the forum software was written by clueless people. You can fix it by using the User Agent Switcher extension and pretending to be IE.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Unfortunately it's missing the #1 Firefox feature, which is it's incredible speed. And it still has IE's worst feature, which is it's incredible lack of speed.

I like Firefox but I miss the complete/polished feel of Netscape, so I may try Mozilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom