• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I lost a job on a thank you note

Status
Not open for further replies.

IISANDERII

I understand cutting the guy a break, but leaving the thread unlocked so that 100s of people continue to enter the thread, waste their time browsing it for more details, then post "wtf op" is just as mind-boggling as OP's original lack of detail.

Call it backseat modding if you like. I feel like I should be able to express my reasonable opinion without the threat of being banned, no?
That is the lamest excuse I've heard in a while.
You do know you can click the OP's name, pull up his profile to see all his posts don't you? That's what I do, no way I'm going to sort through a 9pg thread, no matter how frequently the OP is posting. And if you want to follow the discussion, then there's no basis for "wasting time browsing for more details".

UFRA

That is the lamest excuse I've heard in a while.
You do know you can click the OP's name, pull up his profile to see all his posts don't you? That's what I do, no way I'm going to sort through a 9pg thread, no matter how frequently the OP is posting. And if you want to follow the discussion, then there's no basis for "wasting time browsing for more details".

That's his point. What discussion is there?

It's pages upon pages of people saying "WTF, where is OP?"

So if someone keeps going through each page, hoping at some point the OP posts, it is indeed a waste of time.

Not to mention, as others pointed out, that profile post history is not always up to date. Sometimes recent posts are missing.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Don't you see guys, this is what he has done for this thank you note; he did get the job offer and needed to reply saying thank you, but thanks to his lack of communication skills the man never acknowledged or replied back on his job acceptance! We are living the world through his eyes in this very thread!

/twist

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
This is one of those kinds of threads I talked about before, where you see it near the top of the first page for days or even weeks on end yet never click on it because the title does nothing for you.

But you keep seeing it bumped and bumped and eventually it kind of gets on your nerves until you're finally like, "Well I gotta get in there" but you find out that you missed out on an awesome and/or hilarious thread.

This is like that, only without the last part.

I agree, I need some sort of resolution...this thread is making me feel pent up in weird ways.

What you're feeling is a thirst for blood. You have a hard on for public humiliation/sacrifice, which is a normal, natural thing to feel. Once OP is banned, you, I and everyone else will experience release...

Ban OP, plz. And Evilore, I trust you'll do what needs to be done about Cyan. Since he's shown weakness in front of the masses, his integrity has been irreparably compromised.

Lamel

Banned
OP I'M COMING FOR YOU YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Warcraft-General5.gif

pgtl_10

Wow! I apologize for creating a thread and forgetting about it. I didn't realize the thread would explode with comments.

In the note, I used the word "drooling" and I skipped words because I was so excited for a job. I also crossed out words and handwrote the note. I didn't write in a straight line.

Here is what I said:

I thank you for giving an oppertunity to interview with. Simply put, I want to for you or with you where ever you are. If you still were a prosecutor I'd choose (Deleted to protect identity) over (Deleted to protect identity). You are direct, honest, and sincere. I've interviewed with judges, private attorneys, and state attorneys. Most if not all look at a candidate with little regard to their well-being. When you asked me why my salary figures were so low, I was surprised.
Most people would have drooled because they could hire someone for cheap. You however, told me implicity, that I'm far more valuable than I give myself credit for. It didn't take me five minutes to realize you would be a great teacher, co-worker, and friend. That's rare to find.

My writing is better than the quote above. I was so high on emotion after a great interview that I U-turned on the highway to go buy thank you cards. I wanted to write what my heart was telling me. I didn't pay attention to anything I wrote. I wanted to hand deliver the note and delivered the note just 30 minutes after the interview.

The interviewer told me in the interview that she felt I would not be happy working both legal and non-legal work. The interviewer had liked me during the interview. I had my best interview ever.

When I got rejected, I asked the interviewer for feedback. Here's what the interviewer said:

I’ve scanned a copy of your thank you note (see attached). The sentiment was appreciated, but I suggest you read it out loud and scan it for spelling errors. You interviewed well and should be proud of that. The position requires a skilled communicator, both oral and written. I suggest you work on your writing skills and continue working hard.

I was devastated and embarrassed. How did I let my emotions get the best of me? How can I look at myself as an attorney? I showed the letter to my friend. She went berserk which made me feel worse. It was at that point that I realize that I need to trust myself and my advice rather than always listening to others.

A day later I was still in deep depression and emotional pain. I even thought about taking a bullet to my head. My pain would end.

Later I sent a nasty text to my friend. I told her that she always underestimates me and that I will become an attorney. I was at emotional highs and lows. I then went to my school’s library to look for more jobs. My friend responded to my text saying she was hurt by what I said. At that point, I sat on a window sill and asked myself “Will I be happy if I became an attorney?” I never asked myself that question.

I went to sleep early and got up around 3 AM. I went to Jack in the Box to get a burger. The whole time I was thinking about whether I be happy becoming an attorney. I realize that I stayed through law school because I was afraid what others might think if I quit. I wanted to become an attorney since the age of 12. I’m 28 so that’s 16 years in pursuit of a career. Some point during those 16 years I no longer wanted to be an attorney. I was doing something because I feared the thoughts of others.

I have been to five different mental health professionals since starting law school. I was never bitter before I entered law school. I never let criticism personally affect me or go into deep depression. Attorneys tend to have very high strung personalities. I am very relaxed. Attorneys tend to have egos. Humility is one my strengths.

I realize that being an attorney goes against who I am as a person. I want to do what makes me happy. Being an attorney does not make me happy. Once I realized that, I was relieved like no other. A huge burden has been lifted and I can be myself.

It turns out my family all support my decision. My cultural background is geared to place emphasis on one’s honor or one’s perception by others. I assumed my parents would not like my decision but they instead supported me. I learned something about them. They will always respect and love me no matter what I do.

Now I will explore and find a career that I want. I’m not sure what career I want but I have time. I worked through law school and have a job so money is not an issue. I am relieved and happy that I could come to this conclusion and be alive to tell you about it. I matured and am happy that I wrote that letter. My therapist was even thrilled that I learned to care about myself rather than worrying about others.

My life is now clearer. I thank God and all those that help me get to this point in my life.

DoomGyver

Hey OP, might as well send a resume to Hallmark.

edit: I did not expect an update. Don't feel bad, most people don't get their career decision right the first time around.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
For future reference, clicking "Subscriptions" will show you all the threads you made or replied to from newest to oldest.

tumblr_lnw66as5fR1qd0nalo1_500.gif

In all seriousness I respect that. What's meant to be is meant to be. You'll find what makes you happy. Be proud, so many people plod through life doing what makes them miserable. Too afraid to face the truth and go after their happiness.

You did. That's a good thing. Much respect.

/brofist

pgtl_10

I apologize again. I also didn't read this thread. This part of my life is still fresh. My emotions are still not settled so I didn't want to come back to this thread. I saw 4 private messages and decided to post.

TCRS

Banned
Wow, that is the most awkward and cringeworthy thanks note ever. I can understand the recruiter.

But at least you are happy now.

OP,

Good News: You clearly have the ability to carry yourself in an interview and have the 'know-how' on selling yourself

Bad News: You did blow it, but it happens. I've heard of people bombing far worse in interviews under far more embarrassing circumstances.

Chin up. Learn from the mistakes and carry on.

pgtl_10

CLOSURE. THANK GOD CLOSURE.

edit: Not gonna lie OP, I see how you didn't get the job.

Of course. If I wasn't so anxious to become an attorney, I would not have wrote that note.

I laughed hard while typing the post. I sounded like a prostitute.

I'd make a terrible hooker so I'll scratch that off my list of career choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom