• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love how "Phase Shift" in Pokkén Tournament DX keeps this fighter feeling FRESH

Neiteio

ARMS has random loot & stats so in my mind its not a fighting game at all (just my opinon based on what I've read complaints on gear affecting Ranked) but I can understand why some folks would consider it

But yeah not too many pure "Arena" fighters. I can only think of Gundam & Naruto
The ability to boost your stats in ARMS is pretty negligible. You might get a marginal increase from a duplicate loot drop, which is rare anyways. It's still an arena fighter in the sense that it's fighting with full mobility in a 3D enclosure.

Linari

Neo Member
I like the phase shift as an idea. But..... what I didn't like was how clunky and laggy the whole game felt. Wished it felt faster or you could cancel long winded animations earlier or something.

A bunch of my friends quite didn't like the constant switching between phases because of disorientation while playing.

patchday

Yeah on topic btw I am a fan of Phase Shift. It is a breath of fresh air. 2d fighters are overly abundant while Pokken at least brings some fresh ideas to the table and takes risks. I also like 3d Arenas bigtime though

The ability to boost your stats in ARMS is pretty negligible. You might get a marginal increase from a duplicate loot drop, which is rare anyways. It's still an arena fighter in the sense that it's fighting with full mobility in a 3D enclosure.

for that matter just toss in Dragonball Xenoverse if you're cool with unbalanced stats. I think DBX2 finally added an option to maybe turn that off

Injustice 2 also has items but they gave us 'competitive' modes where we can turn it off.

I'm personally not considering any game remotely close to being competitive if its overrun with random loot and no option to turn it off. That is surely a game that will never grace EVO or CEO while Pokken Tournament does.

Quebaz

What are some big/new arena fighters right now? I love the games but haven't really heard of any newer ones.

Virtual On
Arms
Gundam VS
Dissidia NT
Naruto Storm
Saint Seiya Soldiers Soul
Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Only VO, Arms and Gundam VS are worth something IMO, with Naruto Storm being broken fun and Xenoverse and Dissidia straight up bad.

SHiiFT

Neo Member
Pokken was my most played game on wii u, Had over a thousand hours on it.

I can see it being the same on my switch.

Neiteio

Upgraded performance? You mean from non native 720p to native 720p for a console that's 4x as powerful as its predecessor?
I'm just glad the game is at least 720p now and runs rock-solid 60fps in all modes. But yeah, it could definitely be better. Never said it was the main selling point!

Tain

huh I wonder what Arena fighters this post refers to beyond Naruto & Gundam

Virtual On
Arms
Gundam VS
Dissidia NT
Naruto Storm
Saint Seiya Soldiers Soul
Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Only VO, Arms and Gundam VS are worth something IMO, with Naruto Storm being broken fun and Xenoverse and Dissidia straight up bad.

VO looks great, and ARMS and Gundam Vs are good (if not great), but I didn't hate the Dissidia demo and there's also the recently-released and excellent Senko no Ronde 2 (on Steam and PS4).

Top Bottom