• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love video games

Deerock71

comedy love GIF

A.Romero

I'm not concerned about the future of video games. AAA games are probably stagnated and can't take many risks because of how much they cost to make. However, game development threshold has never been as low as it is now. Many indie games even surpass the quality of the older 16 bit gen games (viewed as the golden age of video games by many) so it's unlikely that someone looking to scratch that retro itch would run out of stuff to play.

The advent of GenAI will lower that threshold even more so many more people will be capable of creating professional performing games without breaking bank.

IMO people complaining about the state of gaming is just people that don't want to change and fail to accept that they are not the demographics companys are looking for (because of age, spending habits, ideology or whatever).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I love gaming when it's a pure creative effort on the part of the devs, who are ideally friends or bros and who spontaneously are driven to create something great, working around the clock, pushing themselves to do something amazing, or just generally doing exactly what they want with zero outside influence, censorship, or control placed on them (eg. the way countless games were once made, from classic Doom to Zelda to much more).

I hate gaming as a corporate industry, where most of the work is done by rank-and-file staffed positions who consider it just a job, who pump out a million models or environments or bad dialog like a production line. At the corporate level, it's a cynical and horrible thing all the way down.
I mean shit, doesn't this apply to all entertainment? Movies, music, art, books, etc.
Money is simply incompatible with art and entertainment. they go together about as well as water and oil. The most financial incentive should have on a game's development is "how much can we sell it for?" and that should be it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Many indie games even surpass the quality of the older 16 bit gen games (viewed as the golden age of video games by many)
to be fair, that was in the 2010s, nowadays the real nostalgia is for the 2000s. Which tbh is fair because I think that was the golden age myself in terms of creativity and new IP. Indies will need to compete more with games like Silent Hill 2 and Half Life more than they do games like Mario World and Sonic.

Last edited:
I love video games.
To the point that I feel sorry for people who don't appreciate/don't understand its wholesomeness. Obviously any form of artistic expression can bring you joy and inspiration but games are on another fucking level when it comes to creativity. With the games like Quake, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, I do fell positive about this medium...
What do you think?
me, 1996...

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah video games are the worst kind of drug. Ibet youve spent a lot of money you shouldn't have over the years.... get help!

I love video games.
To the point that I feel sorry for people who don't appreciate/don't understand its wholesomeness. Obviously any form of artistic expression can bring you joy and inspiration but games are on another fucking level when it comes to creativity. With the games like Cyberpunk, Returnal, Alan Wake 2, I do fell positive about this medium but still feel anxious about the future filled with with generic half baked titles on the subscription services or FPS "same all same all" GaaS games.
What do you think?
Now think about how those who don't have great internet feel when they'd love to play Alan Wake 2, but can't. They can't appreciate or understand the wholesomeness of games when they don't have access to them.

Otherwise I agree: gaming is great.

A.Romero

to be fair, that was in the 2010s, nowadays the real nostalgia is for the 2000s. Which tbh is fair because I think that was the golden age myself in terms of creativity and new IP. Indies will need to compete more with games like Silent Hill 2 and Half Life more than they do games like Mario World and Sonic.

I still think the same approach applies.

Hey me too! :messenger_beaming:

My wife, and some of my friends give me crap for liking gaming because it's "childish" but these same friends enjoy TV or movies as a hobby. One of gaming's biggest strength is in giving you some kind of agency or challenge while also telling a story, whereas TV and Movies especially are completely passive. Overall I feel like gaming has come so far from when I started playing as a kid back in the 80's, and some of the games you listed like CyberPunk and Alan Wake 2 really show how compelling it can be. I'm not too worried about where gaming is headed because I think there will always be options. Bad games generally get punished, and well done games make money. Market makes things better most of the time.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don’t get it… why hasn’t the OP been banned from GAF yet? He literally openly admitted that he loves that shit lmao

Fredrik

Yeah, been gaming for 40 years by now, loving it, hoping my body allows me to do it for at least another 20 years or so.

In general I feel like people are too negative now, and almost digital, games can apparently only be awesome or shit, no middle ground, and people almost boast about dropping games fast.

Meanwhile everything I play is 7/10 to 10/10, I know my gaming taste well enough to not stumble into games I would rate lower. And the games I do enjoy I spend hundreds of hours playing. I think I’ll cross the 200-hour line on Starfield this weekend. Will probably surpass 100 hours on TOTK before the year ends. Hopefully I can manage to play BG3 for minimum 50 hours too over Christmas.
Gaming is awesome!

anothertech

I love video games.

To the point that I feel sorry for people who don't appreciate/don't understand its wholesomeness. Obviously any form of artistic expression can bring you joy and inspiration but games are on another fucking level when it comes to creativity.

With the games like Cyberpunk, Returnal, Alan Wake 2, I do fell positive about this medium but still feel a bit anxious about the future. Will it be filled with generic half baked titles on the subscription services or FPS "same all same all" GaaS games?
What do you think?
Only thing better are the Gamers themselves. Cheers lads.

Fuck the haters

Tangerine

I love video games.

To the point that I feel sorry for people who don't appreciate/don't understand its wholesomeness. Obviously any form of artistic expression can bring you joy and inspiration but games are on another fucking level when it comes to creativity.

With the games like Cyberpunk, Returnal, Alan Wake 2, I do fell positive about this medium but still feel a bit anxious about the future. Will it be filled with generic half baked titles on the subscription services or FPS "same all same all" GaaS games?
What do you think?
Have you played the outer wilds?

If not, you need to! If you really love games ❤️

DaGwaphics

OP letting a bombshell secret like this drop on a public forum, that takes courage. :messenger_beaming:

If I was going to put on my Sherlock Holmes hat, I'd say that most users that frequent video game discussion boards do have some appreciation for the medium.

Humdinger

I like games. Some trends in modern videogames make it less fun for me, but games have always been a part of my entertainment diet.

I'd disagree with the remark about games being "on another fucking level when it comes to creativity," compared to other forms of art. The level of creativity found in books far exceeds that found in videogames (or TV or movies). That is because books do not have nearly the amount of hurdles and compromises that other media do.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Gaming now will continue to go on the half-baked course, with games like Robocop, Blur, Split-second, Top Spin Tennis, a definitive "soccer" game, becoming VERY few and far between....on top of that longer development times will be par the course...especially for titles like the Mass Effects of this gaming world....

Top Bottom