• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne is my favorite video game. Ever

unlurkified

Agreed x 1000%. 39 years old and it’s also my favorite game of all time for the reasons you listed and more. It was one of the most, “holy crap are you serious?!” moments in gaming for me when the tall skinny dudes that carry a sack takes you off to prison in a later part of the game and you have to make your way back.

It’s absolutely criminal that Miyazaki decided on not making a second one. Easily way better that Dark Souls or Elden Ring imo.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s top 3 of my favorite souls games for sure. Too bad we will never get another one. 😭

After playing FromSoft games on PS5 with 60 fps I just can't bring myself to play Bloodborne.

I want to punish myself with a Saw Cleaver for "putting down" the mighty Bloodborne.

There's been an unofficial BloodBorne circlejerk on NeoGAF since the game released. It's almost as big as TLOU's circlejerk and everything Nintendo shoots out.

Doom85

There's been an unofficial BloodBorne circlejerk on NeoGAF since the game released.

Join Us Pokemon Go GIF by Product Hunt
one of us GIF

Sentenza

it's a great game that I wish it wasn't kept prisoner of its current hardware.

I own both the game and its Old Hunters DLC on PS4 (Pro) as it's one of the first games I got when buying one, I played halfway through it and enjoyed most of it, then rumors of a PC port started going around and I decided to pause the playthrough waiting to experience the game in a better shape.
Needless to say my wait has been repaid with disappointment since then.

Fun fact: both this and Shadow of the Colossus (remake) at this point are my only PS4 games left that I don't also own on PC.
They were also the two ports I wanted the most, so thanks Sony, I guess.

Last edited:

skit_data

Top notch atmosphere, top notch setting and story but it's a shame Bloodbornes build variety is so lacking. Everytime I play Bloodborne I get the sense that several stats and systems are simply not completed (bloodtinge, weapons that are just objectively bad etc.). It's a shame because it beats all the other Souls-games in several aspects.

It was my first Souls game and I love it. Sadly I doubt we will get a sequel or even a PC port. Best we can hope for is that they remaster it for PS6 and no doubt they will hand it to Bluepoint to completely fucking ruin it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Markio128

It’s one of my favourite game experiences. I’d play it again in a heartbeat, but I’ve foolishly been holding out for an oft rumoured remake. I just wish someone would come out and confirm one way or the other.

I may have mentioned this before, but I tried to revisit Bloodborne when I got my ps5.

I had played it on PS4 and it was ok, not really my thing.

Unfortunately, the version on ps5 is a blurry mess and unplayable for me.

I've heard it looks much better played natively on PS4.

But, the combination of the poor image quality and 30fps left me unwilling to continue and I didn't bother even making it past the first encounter.

I'd absolutely love to see a remaster, however, ideally a full fat 4k60 upgrade - I'd definitely give it another chance, but as it stands at present I don't see myself bothering with it.

Last edited:
And might I add, as much as it sucks that it's locked to 30fps that doesn't affect the game for me. I'm used to playing at 100-140fps but playing bloodborne doesn't bother me. It's not even the framerate but pacing. I believe From Software done the best they could with the weak ass hardware of the PS4 (yes it was weak even back in 2015). Their engine doesn't suit low framerate. Dark Souls 3 was a fucking mess on PS4 too but on PS4 Pro and PC it runs much better. Their engine doesn't scale well (downwards). Even on PC if you lock games to 30fps it'll be a stutterfest.

Whats the real hook to this game? How long should one push through to play until they know its for them or not?
For me the hook was seeing where this nightmare went and making my character stronger. I think one should push through until they make use of all the bloodgem slots on their favorite weapon (+6) and play upto the first boss of the DLC. To get to the DLC one has to acquire a bloodshot eyeball in the Hunter's Dream hub after defeating Vicar Amelia boss in the Cathedral Ward (2nd or 3rd area depending on path).

Personally, I knew the game was for me when I acquired the Rifle Spear in Old Yahrnam and used its two-handed fully charged attack to take out an enemy meters away.

Its a masterpiece for sure, but i have some gripes with it.
For example i think the bosses are mediocre, most of the main game bosses are just meh.
I also think the build variety in the game is not interesting, you can do the usual Dex/STR but the Arcane and Bloodtinge builds are significantly inferior and less fun thats mainly due to the lackluster arsenal of Arcane hunter tools and the lame Quicksilver bullet system which conflicts itself with parry mechanics (which is far superior and more reliable) making both systems the Arcane hunter tools and the bullets to be essentially near worthless, unless you want to force yourself to use it which is a shame because if they invested better in them it would have been much more enjoyable to use them.
I also think the side content gets repetitive around the 4th Chalice run, same bosses, same layout, same rewards, it gets tiresome and boring and makes Elden Ring caves look great.
And ofcourse we all know the framepacing issue and how the game sometimes goes sub-30fps which makes it stutter for an action game it takes away from the fluidity of the gameplay.

The other issues i have are simply nitpicking if i want, but i'll keep them turned off now because i love the game, i just use them to demolish annoying fanboys when the need arise :messenger_sunglasses:

Yeah the game is a masterpiece and easy 5/5 for me despite its shortcomings, its not my favorite Fromsoft game though, that is between ER and DS1. But it sits at 3rd place comfortably.
I wish for a remaster, i'd like to play it with better upgrades like what Metroid Prime got.
No remake hopefully because i dont trust Bluepoint to give it justice.

Fear the Old Blood.
1. What is great about the bosses is they are bigger than life, but stagger during their own attacks when the player sticks it to them.

2. Arcane builds with Kos Parasite and Accursed Brew/Executioner's Gloves steamroll most challenges. Chikage, Simon's Bowblade, and Bloodletter do major Bloodtinge damage in their two-handed form.

3. Blood Bullet system and Caryll Runes for getting HP/bullets back for visceral attacks make Hunter Tool uses, firearm shots, and parries nearly unlimited.

4. The Chalices are more for weapon/material/rune/echoes loot than challenge. The Glyphs the community has mapped out expedite making new character builds tremendously and allow them to be maxed out. It is especially important because the game does not allow a player to respec their character like many other Soulsbourne games.

P.S. I hope it gets a PC release to adress its technical shortcomings.

sono

Gold Member
How much time do you need to play this game start to end on normal difficulty (and assuming you are working for a living and have life chores so are not playing it every waking hour) ?

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Problem was not even the (sub)30 fps, but the totally fucked up framepacing. Made it unplayable for me.
Although it seems like a joke at this point, I think sooner than later we will get a remaster/remake/PC version and then it will have the chance to really shine.

i want to play this so bad, don't have a ps5 and sold my ps4 - i need this on emulator or PC ASAP just like everyone cries - i love the game and have improved my souls skills. BB was my first of their games, i've then beaten Elden Ring, DS1 and DS3.

i had a good reason, moved to Europe for 6-12 months, if not longer, this past January - it was just going to sit in my attic. i hope a team of indie genius' some day port the game to PC lol

nial

Gold Member
Stop asking for a remaster/remake, please. The original PS4 game will always, ALWAYS be the best version.

Im loving bloodborne thus far, but the Bosses seem like they are of the pre-ds3 "poke it in the ass till it dies" variety thus far. Granted, Im not super far, just got past the charnel grounds.

I dont mind poking bosses in the ass till they die, but it seems like the soulsborne games could be roughly divided into two eras - ass poking bosses a la 1, 2, bloodborne, and non ass poking bosses a la 3, sekiro, er.

Granted, you could also divide it into a slow era and a fast era, with BB falling into the latter. Also Im not very far in so I may just be completely full of shit, and if I am pls either ignore me or, if you want, let me know im a tard

Im loving bloodborne thus far, but the Bosses seem like they are of the pre-ds3 "poke it in the ass till it dies" variety thus far. Granted, Im not super far, just got past the charnel grounds.

I dont mind poking bosses in the ass till they die, but it seems like the soulsborne games could be roughly divided into two eras - ass poking bosses a la 1, 2, bloodborne, and non ass poking bosses a la 3, sekiro, er.

Granted, you could also divide it into a slow era and a fast era, with BB falling into the latter. Also Im not very far in so I may just be completely full of shit, and if I am pls either ignore me or, if you want, let me know im a tard
Are you sure you don't have an pre occupation with "ass poking"?

Yoboman

I did the whole Soulsborne in the last year, for me its

DS3
Elden Ring
Bloodborne
Demons Souls
DS1
DS2

BB would be higher with a better frame rate, honestly gave me headaches and that's on PS5

n0razi

Better than Elden Ring by far for me.... the only thing holding it back is the technical stuff (30fps), but I could say the same for pretty much every Switch game.

Top Bottom