• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss Dead Space...

Xe4

Banned
DS1 is still one of my favorite games ever. I must have played through it a half dozen times easy. I love the atmosphere and the world and the story, the enimies the characters and just everything that makes it a freaking amazing package.

DS2 was great. I only ever did one full playthrough of it but I remember it being fantastic and I do mean to play it again some time. Wasn't as good as 1 in my opinion, bit that's just because I guess I prefer the smaller scale of 1. The new setting and characters were great, Ellie was a great addition.

Extraction was great, probably my favorite rail shooter game, and definetly the only one I've played to completion.

Haven't played DS3 and have no desire to didn't like the direction they took it.

I really want a remaster for PS4/XB1 of the three games + extraction. I think it would sell very well.

Not sure how I feel about a sequel, if somehow Sledgehammer Games worked on it I'd be so down, but that's never gonna happen.

AJ_Wings

I still replay 1 and 2 every now and then. They're still amazing.

No matter of what I've heard of 3, I'm still interested in checking it out after I grab it on a sale.

The Dead Space series was fantastic, I even enjoyed the 3rd game even though it was fairly disappointing. It's hard to choose between Dead Space 1 and 2 though, both had amazing moments. To me, DS was more atmospheric while DS2 was more chaotic, which reminds me of the comparisons between Alien/Aliens. I would love to see a fourth game or a reboot made either this generation or the next.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
DS1 is one of my favourite games ever, it's sad it took the resident evil route. I also hope DS4 returning to it's horror roots

Truant

Replaying the main series now, for the first time on PC. The PC versions are pretty decent, especially considering DS1 is almost ten years old. DS1 was one of the first games to run with a defered renderer, so I have to use a combination of nvidia downsampling and FXAA to get a decent image.

The game almost wrecked by GPU, as it was rendering a super highres image at insane framerates (500+). Thankfully the driver-level vsync worked perfectly. The games are a treat to play at 60 fps with the X1 Elite controller. Console-players would be wise to hope for a good remaster collection.

My initial plan was actually to just play DS2, but after getting to the Church of Unitology section I changed my mind and installed DS1.

Going backwards really make the improvements to the controls in DS2 shine. Isaac is a fucking tank in DS1. You can really feel Visceral trying to figure out third-person surivval horror movement, and not quite nailing it. There's a noticeable input lag, and Isaac has an almost hexagonal range of movment, as opposed to the smooth analog movement of the sequels.

The game is extremely slow. Even the necromorphs move a lot slower than in DS2, as they shamble towards you with their limbs stretched out of easy dismemberment.

I have to get deeper into DS2 before I can write anything worthwhile about it, but I'm pretty sure the feelings I had about it on release remain largely the same. DS1 felt a lot like a Shock game at times. Large interconneted levels with some sort of (mostly) combat free hub-area. Systemic world and combat mechanics. Resource management. At times open-ended missions with sub objectives that can be completed in any order.

I really miss some of these elements from DS1, but lately I've been seeing some very interesting comparisons to the Alien franchise. While DS1 was still an action focused game with far more enemies than the single threat in Alien, the change in pace and flow of DS2 maps to the changes that Cameron did with Aliens.

In a sense. The tightly paced linear adventure of DS2 is the space marines versus a Xenomorph hive in Aliens. The escalation comes not from having more enemies to fight, but rather in the urgency of the story and the structure of the game. It's a neat parallel.

Danneee

Just finished DS2 and, well, I'm disappointed. I really loved DS1 and how I felt that I was doing something on the ship and slowly progressed towards a goal, backtracking and all (it actually added to the experience imo). But 2 just felt like I was looking for the next blue door and going through copies of the exact same environment over and over again. I mean, seriously, every new area have at least two or three repeated layouts. The game didn't make me feel for the characters either and the endgame was some of the worst crap I've played.
Apart from that it's a good game, not great though. Dismembering monsters is always fun and the variety of enemies and weapons is nice, even if I just used a few of them. Worth playing through if you find it cheap or have it sitting in your PS+ library.

Thread made me go back for some more Dead Space, I was just playing 3. I still think it's a really fun game, maybe not a lot of scares (there are some), but fun to play. This is actually the first non co-op play through I've done of it, it is interesting to see some of the differences. Some things are actually a lot easier, for example there is a scene on the Tera Nova where you have to assemble some cargo containers in a puzzle-lite sort of thing to clear some tracks. On co-op mode, this part is actually really intense, one of my favourites... because once your partner starts assembling the pieces they can't really leave the interface, and necromorphs come pouring out of the vents... you have to hold them off while your partner solves the puzzles. The puzzles are relatively easy on their own, but taken combined with enemies everywhere, frantic shooting and fighting, it was a lot more stressful ;). In single player, basically nothing happens while you solve the puzzles, it's quiet.

Another one of my favourite pieces is when you are being chased by the Regenerators, and you are waiting for the tram coming. That computer voice calmly calling out the tram arrival ETA, the aliens-like siren blaring as the tram arrives, enemies crashing out of vents everywhere as you shoot and dodge like crazy trying to survive until you can get on the tram... really good stuff.

And I stand by my earlier statement that the atmosphere of the ship graveyard is top notch, I still loved every minute of it. Was that ambient space music taken right out of aliens? ;)

Since I had finished it long ago in co-op, this time I can do new game+ / classic mode which is I think a great way to get back into the game after such an extended break.

Once I finish it, I'll work backwards going to DS2, and then ending up at DS1, with a pit-stop at Extraction along the way.

I hear the mobile version is also good, I actually own the iOS one but I have only an iPod 4 so it's pretty clunky, I never got into it. As far as I can see there is no Android version? There is not even really any good playthroughs on Youtube that I could see of it.

Shredderi

Did 3 sell badly or something? Pretty surprised EA haven't made a new one for this gen. I'd buy the shit out of a DS4

I can't think of any concrete numbers but I got the impression that it sold decently for a horror game but did not reach EA's lofty "needs 5 million sales to survive" goal.

Just beat 2 tonight. Took me an hour less than my first play through. I still love it. Felt like a good refinement of DS1 and Isaac having a personality was so needed.

Next up: DS3. Never played it before!

Jumplion

I'll always maintain that Dead Space 1 is a great "my first little horror game". I'm a complete pansy when it comes to horror, but DS1 was just tense enough to get me nervous but not too paranoid, plus the atmosphere in the game is amazing.

I also love the in-game (diagetic) UI representation, it sparked my love of diagetic UI.

Dead Space 2 was also fairly solid, a bit more action-y than it probably should have been but it still had a great atmosphere to it.

I haven't played Dead Space 3 because, well... I dunno, maybe I'm missing out, but it just looked like a complete conversion from what DS2 started with the more action-oriented approach.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Perhaps moreso than the games themselves, especially after 3, I really like the Lovecraftian lore on the games. I can't seem to remember any other sci-fi game dealing with Lovecraftian themes aside from this and Mass Effect. The series' ending (locked behind DLC, BLEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH) seriously gave me a goosebump. I want to know what happens next, damn it!

Truant

Just finished 2.

I've been saying 1 is the best in the series for a long time, but replaying 2 directly after 1 made me really appreciate it more. I actually think 2 is the better game now. It holds up a lot better in almost all aspects.

Just started 3 again. Man, the intro is awful. It feels like a different IP. There's something really off and "cheap" about it. It has that UE3 anno 2009 B-tier feel to it.

Thankfully the game gets a lot better when you enter the floatilla. I actually think the first third of DS3 is one of the best parts of the entire trilogy. The music, the mood, the way the old ships subtly change even the most basic of DS mechanics and design.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to you OP, I'm replaying DS1. It is way too damn fun and I'm going to play DS2 right after finishing it.
Even after 8 years, the graphics look fantastic and I'm playing it on 360.

I feel ya.
I wish they did DS3 again but right this time. That game ruined the franchise.
I was so invested in it after the first 2 games and Extraction, what a kick in the nuts.

K' Dash

I just finished DS2 on PC again, this time I downsampled it from 4K to 1080p and it looked gorgeous, fucking amazing, I´m onto DS3 now :D

Bergerac

IMO - and I know they're very different - but Alien Isolation is this gen's Dead Space, except it's better.

They're too different to say that. In principal gameplay, DS is catharsis through combat. Isolation is catharsis through evasion. They're the opposite ends of the spectrum, and the latter, I have zero love for in the context of the horror genre.

Just finished 2.

I've been saying 1 is the best in the series for a long time, but replaying 2 directly after 1 made me really appreciate it more. I actually think 2 is the better game now. It holds up a lot better in almost all aspects.

Just started 3 again. Man, the intro is awful. It feels like a different IP. There's something really off and "cheap" about it. It has that UE3 anno 2009 B-tier feel to it.

Thankfully the game gets a lot better when you enter the floatilla. I actually think the first third of DS3 is one of the best parts of the entire trilogy. The music, the mood, the way the old ships subtly change even the most basic of DS mechanics and design.

That was the thing about the 3rd I didn't quiet get and quiet frankly I think was a ding against it - spoilers below:

At the end of the second game you hear two people talking - one voice mentions that the site Isaac was in is destroyed then the other voice responds by saying "its ok the tother 12 sites will have to pick up the pace" i.e. there are other stations with markers....although in the the 3rd its like they were like nah "aliens"

I know the marker was definitely from another world, but there was definitely a spookier element they could have added, Although I think the DLC for the 3rd tried to right the ship a little

Just this week I tried re-playing Dead Space 1, this time on PC.

With V-sync on, the joypad had a HORRIBLE dead zone which would have been impossible to play.

So, I turned V-sync off, which then caused a glitch that prevented me from walking through one of the very first doors, breaking the game.

Needless to say, I was both very disappointed and angry. What a shit PC port. I'd love to replay 1 as well...

Loved Dead Space to death but never played the sequel. Saving that for a rainy day. I even played the third game because a friend literally threw it at me.

Garlador

Did 3 sell badly or something? Pretty surprised EA haven't made a new one for this gen. I'd buy the shit out of a DS4

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any versions of Dead Space 3 on sale that AREN'T "Limited Editions"? For a "limited edition", I don't think I've ever once seen a normal version.
1369790562-00.jpg

That was the thing about the 3rd I didn't quiet get and quiet frankly I think was a ding against it - spoilers below:

At the end of the second game you hear two people talking - one voice mentions that the site Isaac was in is destroyed then the other voice responds by saying "its ok the tother 12 sites will have to pick up the pace" i.e. there are other stations with markers....although in the the 3rd its like they were like nah "aliens"

I know the marker was definitely from another world, but there was definitely a spookier element they could have added, Although I think the DLC for the 3rd tried to right the ship a little
Not sure what your complaint is here... The other sites with markers were the ones the Unitologists are "liberating" in Chapter 1 of DS3. They're man made copies of the Black Marker found on Earth hundreds years earlier that lead to the founding of Unitology. The markers on Tau Volantis were presumably made by the aliens, based on another original they had found.

Not sure what your complaint is here... The other sites with markers were the ones the Unitologists are "liberating" in Chapter 1 of DS3. They're man made copies of the Black Marker found on Earth hundreds years earlier by the founder of Unitology. The markers on Tau Volantis were presumably made by the aliens, based on another original they had found.

Not complaining, just throwing out ways they could have played around in the lore they created

I think it would have been cool to be at the sites being "liberated" instead of going towards Tau volantis, I mean as far as plot lines went it felt like the 3rd attempted to close the story too quickly.

Not complaining, just throwing out ways they could have played around in the lore they created

I think it would have been cool to be at the sites being "liberated" instead of going towards Tau volantis, I mean as far as plot lines went it felt like the 3rd attempted to close the story too quickly.
Going to another site feels like it could just have been another rehash of 2, which I feel added very little to the lore compared to 1 and 3. I guess it could have been interesting if they brought back the Oracles from the Severed DLC though, and fleshed out their origin and purpose. It was kind of dumb to just tease them there and do nothing with them in 3.

Anyway, I think Tau Volantis was them wanting to try something new, and bring back some of the mystery and discovery of DS1. It didn't really close the story, except maybe for Isaac. And even then, they ripped that apart in the Awakened DLC and left the series hanging on a massive cliff hanger.

Dead Space 1 was my Game of the Generation, absolutely loved it and must have played it through over 10 times. Dead Space 2 I loved as well. Not quite as much as Dead Space 1 but it's easily in my top 10 for the generation, possibly top 5.

And then came Dead Space 3. I played it through on co-op and had a lot of fun with it, but the whole way through I knew Dead Space had been EA'd and it would be the end of another promising series.

I have the DS1 Ultra Limited edition, the DS2 Collector's edition, and even the DS3 Dev Team edition. I hope the series comes back some day but only if it undoes the damage DS3 did to the series. DS2 was the RE4 of the Dead Space series, while DS3 was somewhere in between RE5 and RE6; a good game overall but it bordered very closely on just sinking the series entirely. If it ever comes back I hope it doesn't go full-on RE6 or worse.

Going to another site feels like it could just have been another rehash of 2, which I feel added very little to the lore compared to 1 and 3. I guess it could have been interesting if they brought back the Oracles from the Severed DLC though, and fleshed out their origin and purpose. It was kind of dumb to just tease them there and do nothing with them in 3.

Anyway, I think Tau Volantis was them wanting to try something new, and bring back some of the mystery and discovery of DS1. It didn't really close the story, except maybe for Isaac. And even then, they ripped that apart in the Awakened DLC and left the series hanging on a massive cliff hanger.

You're right, I guess it would have stagnated as far as advancing the story.

As for the bolded, I forgot about the DLC's - I guess if a sequel were to begin they could be jumping points

Garlador

It's dead. Let it stay dead. Pray your lucky stars we got two great games out of it.

I look forward to other space horror games.

We got far more than just two good games out of it.

Extraction and iOS were legit good as well.

Seriously, there's a lot more that could be done with this series. I feel like we barely scratched the surface.

Buburibon

Just this week I tried re-playing Dead Space 1, this time on PC.

With V-sync on, the joypad had a HORRIBLE dead zone which would have been impossible to play.

So, I turned V-sync off, which then caused a glitch that prevented me from walking through one of the very first doors, breaking the game.

Needless to say, I was both very disappointed and angry. What a shit PC port. I'd love to replay 1 as well...

Was that at 30fps or 60fps? IIRC, Dead Space on PC was originally capped at 30fps with the default in-game vsync option. Enabling vsync through the graphics driver instead allowed for a much more playable 60fps with no side effects.

Truant

I actually don't mind the story or the revelations made in DS3. I thought the Moon stuff was fitting in terms of the Lovecrafian themes of the story. I also liked the idea of the alien city, and the way the played the "Turn it off" thing. Pretty cool stuff which made for an interesting reveal at the end.

My problem with DS3 is the incredibly shitty love triangle, the universal ammo, the sprinting necros, and the boring ice planet. It just felt dumbed down in so many ways. I also disliked how they portrayed the Unitologists. They nailed it so perfectly with the Church section in 2. They just turned into suicidal maniacs in 3. I wish they were more in the background, inflitrating earthgov and manipulating from behind the scenes. In the Martyr novel, Altman is assassinated by what is seemingly EarthGov. It's then revealed that high ranking members are actually Unitologists. It's much more creepy to have them in the shadows, as opposed to a crazy army lead by a cartoonish James Bond villain in a NorthFace jacket.

ultrazilla

3 got too much hate which ultimately probably killed the franchise.

1. Was an outstanding survival horror game.

2. Was an amazing action horror game.

3. Was an immensely satisfying co-op horror shooter.

The key to enjoying 3 was really playing through the entirety of it with a friend.

DEAD SPACE <3 <3 <3

Spot on! My brother and I have played through roughly 75% of the game with co-op and it's an amazing experience.

I'd like to see a return to the series, especially with current hardware(Xbox One, PS4)

And Hollywood needs to get it's head out of it's ass for not giving the go ahead(yet) for John Carpenter(Halloween, The Thing) to direct the movie based on the I.P. He's a huge fan of the series and is on record saying he wants to make the movie.

Kazuhira

We got far more than just two good games out of it.

Extraction and iOS were legit good as well.

Seriously, there's a lot more that could be done with this series. I feel like we barely scratched the surface.

I can't say anything about the iOS game but Extraction was amazing and the ending was a mindfuck.
There's something cool about the fact that most of the characters were normal citizens just trying to survive the outbreak and not trying to be heroes like Isaac,i've had the same feeling when i was playing RE:Outbreak for the first time.
Shame we'll never know what was the deal with the group that wanted to steal Lexine's baby.
Also,Lex is my fave female character in this franchise.

Was that at 30fps or 60fps? IIRC, Dead Space on PC was originally capped at 30fps with the default in-game vsync option. Enabling vsync through the graphics driver instead allowed for a much more playable 60fps with no side effects.
Hm okay that's fucking stupid but good to know. I will try it again doing that.

My problem with DS3 is the incredibly shitty love triangle, the universal ammo, the sprinting necros, and the boring ice planet. It just felt dumbed down in so many ways.
Yes, aside from turning Ellie into a whiny exposition dispenser, having her fall in love with a man seemingly devoid of any positive qualities was terrible. I mean the first thing he does when things go bad is undermine her by trying scheme against her plan behind her back, and I assume shortly after that is when he contacts Danik and betrays the group.

I also disliked how they portrayed the Unitologists. They nailed it so perfectly with the Church section in 2. They just turned into suicidal maniacs in 3.
I don't remember if it was firmly established in DS2, but the mobile game reveals that it's the Daina and unitologists who released the necromorphs on Titan Station. Having most of the local membership granted "glorious" deaths at the hand of the necromorphs seemed very much part of the plan. They seemed to have gone completely off the deep end already in DS2, a far cry from the more run of the mill cult in over its head in the original.

I wish they were more in the background, inflitrating earthgov and manipulating from behind the scenes. In the Martyr novel, Altman is assassinated by what is seemingly EarthGov. It's then revealed that high ranking members are actually Unitologists. It's much more creepy to have them in the shadows, as opposed to a crazy army lead by a cartoonish James Bond villain in a NorthFace jacket.
I haven't read Martyr, only a summary, but from that it seemed like the guys who killed Altman founded Unitology for their own ends, not that they were part of some existing Unitology conspiracy.

And personally I wish they'd kept the balance of power where it seemed to be in DS1, where EarthGov was one who knew what was going on, doing the infiltrating and spying, rather than being clueless that a closely watched cult had thoroughly breached one their top secret projects.

...and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does. Make no mistake, DS3 didn't exactly leave a good impression, but it was not a horrible game by any means (although the story WAS horrible). I enjoyed it for what it was. DS1 and 2, on the other hand, were both very well-received from what I recall.

I think this generation could use a Dead Space. That series had a distinct feel to it that I'm really missing right now.

it's backwards compatible so u don't have to miss it!

Loved the whole series but 3 did end up a bit bad. If they announced DS4 and it goes back to the roots, I'd be there day 1.

What are Visceral Games doing at the moment?

It was nowhere near as scary as I was led to believe. I found Amnesia way better but I can see that the Event Horizon setting was very appealing.

Playing Dead Space 3 for the first time this week and it is very good.

Such a wonderful trilogy overall.

I can't believe the devs went on to make Hardline....disgusting

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I don't miss Dead Space, that game scared the bejesus out of me. I'm kind of drawn to sci-fi space horror stuff, which is why I tried it, but I don't do well with body horror. I made it a couple of hours before saying "Nope, I'm out".

The games were more tense than scary.

I went in with too high expectations I guess. I enjoyed it somewhat because the setting was nice but I was pretty happy once it was over. Years later, I remember literally nothing of it. I didn't leave any impression at all.

daveo42

Banned
I've softened a little on DS3 after putting a decent amount of time into it. The main story is mostly bleh and most of the large sequences appear way too obvious, with little room for surprise in combat encounters. I am still interested in some way about the DS history and the lead up to the current events in game and would love more of that than anything else. Some of the later game side stuff is fine and feels a little more DS than most of the story stuff, even with the replicated floor plans.

How was some of the co-op side missions? I've been skipping those as I don't know anyone wanting to play the game now.

The games were more tense than scary.

Pretty much. Playing DS3 now and it is way more shoot-bang-y, but the tense nature is still there, including the great way they build up the tension in some of the side quest areas later in the game. Sad that far too many areas and objectives are clearly set up for an ambush or another attack. Rarely do they let you just stew in your own sweat, not necromorph blood.

Top Bottom