• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss the F.E.A.R. series. Any fans here and what’s your current favorite non-multiplayer non-RPG shooters currently?

Bolivar687

Banned
I like all three, but 2 is my personal favorite in part because I played it first and I didn't like the repetitive scenery of the first one. I may have also been playing a weird resolution because the aiming felt off. I've been meaning to play one of the expansions so maybe now's the time.

crozier

Favorite ever: FEAR, NOLF2
Current favorite: Doom (2016)
Want to Play: Ghostrunner

On the subject of FEAR 1 AI, it took a huge dive in the sequels. Nothing touches FEAR 1 AI.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
FEAR is awesome, own them all on the PS3. First two hold up really well. 3 is cool but I've never finished it, always got bored roughly midway through. I'd totally play another one.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Favorite ever: FEAR, NOLF2
Current favorite: Doom (2016)
Want to Play: Ghostrunner

On the subject of FEAR 1 AI, it took a huge dive in the sequels. Nothing touches FEAR 1 AI.
Very true about the AI. I forget how much of a difference it makes in the first game compared to the others.

Hydroxy

My favourite non multi-player non rpg shooter is BioShock Infinite. Because of the story and Elizabeth.

HE1NZ

Banned
FEAR 1 is GOAT, but FEAR 2 is pretty passable as well. Played through it a few times and it got its moments (entire school section is great, most of the city sections are pretty awful though). FEAR 3 is not terrible I think, yeah it feels too much like a horror themed Call of Duty but I had some fun with it.
Yeah, I enjoyed FEAR 3 far more than FEAR 2. 2 was just a slog to finish.

Hudo

While Titanfall 2 and Doom (2016) have already been mentioned a couple of times (and I fully agree with both being excellent), I also wanted to mention a game called "Prodeus". It's quite fun.

Laptop1991

I miss Fear 1, it's a great game, but Fear 2 and 3 were no where near as good for me, i've got to say that currently i don't have a non multiplayer, non rpg, favourite shooter, that highlights the current state of the industry in my opinion, as not long after Fear started, we had the Bioshock's come along and a few others too.

YoodlePro

I has hooked to FEAR back in the day. It completely blew my mind as a teenager. I remember playing it with headphones at night in the dark and nearly shitting myself constantly.

I almost broke my desk and fell off my chair once.

xrnzaaas

I wouldn't mind remakes of the first two games, it's been a while since I last finished them and I'd gladly go back. A shame FEAR 3 was shit.

Tschumi

Tough ask! Might be killzone shadowfall, i got back into it after halo infinite dropped (some comparison videos between the two encouraged my latent guerilla fandom) and I've been playing it a bit since... I just don't have many games like that, to be honest second place might be Doom 3.. maybe not a perfect game, but really meant a lot to me at the time and i can ride on that nostalgia... Ah there's also bioshock infinite, can't forget that, it vibrated me better than 1 and 2, though they're great, sure...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
FEAR was the real next gen game at that time, with how dynamic bodies respond to bullets hitting different spots.
And the lighning, the particles... It was the Crysis before Crysis.

3081889-7889328803-28962.gif

PooBone

I was reminded of the FEAR series today and I really had a lot of fun with it. I know it doesn’t do anything revolutionary, but it was fun, scary, and I really enjoyed it. I hope they do a remaster of the series at some point. Anyone here a fan of the series and would you be interested in a remaster?

It made me think of the shooters currently and it feels like most are either multiplayer centric or shooter/RPG hybrids.

So I’m curious are there any single player based shooters that are pure shooters with no RPG elements currently that you’re really into? I do like the RPG/shooter hybrids, but in have to admit I do like playing a pure shooter every once in a while and one actually built for single player, where the campaign isn’t an afterthought.
FEAR is the only game Microsoft didn’t make backwards compatible from the 360 that I wanted. The expansions from Day1 were good too but that first FEAR was stellar, much like Condemned: Criminal Origins that Monolith also released a little later that year.

No FPS really compares, but Titanfall 2 has a REALLY kickass campaign, still the best FPS single player this past generation imo.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Got to give out a shout-out to Metro Redux and Metro Exodus. Incredibly immersive FPS games, especially if you play on the mode that disables all HUD elements.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly the darkness series doesn't get the love it deserves so much crazy fun.
I remember playing that on the Xbox 360 back in the day. Great little game. There was another horror game I really enjoyed called Condemned: Criminal Origins. Really immersive & spooky. The 360 has a lot of great lesser known titles.

CitizenZ

Banned
FEAR is a classic in every way, its too bad we are not getting any of them like that today(especially the AI). Today everything has reverted back to classic Doom blueprint, which is fine and there are a LOT of great titles but a SP, linear 8 hr nice kill room non pixelated experience is missing.

Top Bottom