• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I mixed rubbing alcohol and water

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 5am and I needed more to drink. Apparently this can kill me. My mother is picking me up later today because I've been homeless but I've still got some cigarettes so that's all right. Not sure when or if I'll see you guys again. It's been fun.

When you're mixing non-drinking alcohol to get your fix you have a big problem. Hopefully this is a wake-up call to get you to a better place man.

jesu

Don't do that, just chill till your mum comes.
Smoke all your cigs.

open up to your mum too, it might help more than you think.

Spwn

I guess it's ethanol based, so aside from stomach pains, I hope it won't have a lethal effect.

You should probably call a poison control center (is that what they're called?), though.

Staab

It's 5am and I needed more to drink. Apparently this can kill me. My mother is picking me up later today because I've been homeless but I've still got some cigarettes so that's all right. Not sure when or if I'll see you guys again. It's been fun.

Make yourself throw up, NOW.
Call emergency services, go get treated and then get help with your alcohol problem.

Rivitur

Banned
It can kill you sure but sounds like you should be fine aside from some upset stomach. Say hi to your mum for me :D

Not a suicide attempt. And I was already in detox.

Just wanted something else to drink and the off-sales are all closed and I don't have any money.

Harmen

Make yourself throw up, NOW.

NO, DO NOT VOMIT. This can damage the throat/upper digestive tract significantly. Call help services and follow their lead. I think drinking water to dilute it should be fine in this case, but really reach a professional helpline first.

Not a suicide attempt. And I was already in detox.

Just wanted something else to drink and the off-sales are all closed and I don't have any money.

I am so sorry for your situation, but this stuff is really dangerous and can lead to severe health problems only making life harder.

SharkJAW

Isn't rubbing alcohol isopropanol and not ethanol? Those are completely different molecules. Please be careful, OP.

If you can call your mom and she will respond then all is not lost. Get in rehab and counseling. Stay close with family until you are strong. Stop drinking it is a choice even if a difficult one to stop.

ag-my001

I guess it's ethanol based, so aside from stomach pains, I hope it won't have a lethal effect.

You should probably call a poison control center (is that what they're called?), though.
No, it isn't. Ethanol and 2-propanol will not be metabolized the same way. The poison warning is there for a reason. This is exactly why you don't drink wood alcohol (methanol), it can blind or kill, or ethylene glycol (antifreeze, kills a ton of pets each year).

Hey I think I remember you from Silent Hill threads, that's one of my top series :D

If you can call your mom and she will respond then all is not lost. Get in rehab and counseling. Stay close with family until you are strong. Stop drinking it is a choice even if a difficult one to stop.

This. Are your parents willing to let you stay with them until you can get back on your feet?

While I haven't been through exactly what you're going through, if you are having suicidal thoughts, it is best to get help. Friends, Family or even GAF. Talk to someone.

Or at the very least get on the phone and call a Suicide Helpline

Don't do it, OP. Please let your mom pick you up and try to talk to her about anything that's been bothering you severely to this level. Take care, try not to drink, maybe seek some help out for yourself.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
You have no money but you have internet access and rubbing alcohol laying around? What?

I bet he has a refrigerator too!!

OP, go to long term rehab, it will help. When you're drinking things other than actual booze, it's a problem. It'll be okay.

Ban Puncher

If you put it in your butt you'll get drunk faster.

DO NOT PUT RUBBING ALCOHOL UP YOUR BUTT

OP you can come back from this. This is your starting point, your rock bottom. If your Mom is willing to pick you up and help you then you haven't lost everything. I know, I came back from that brink too. It's not an easy path. But it is so damn worth it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There are ways to get help and having a cheap thrill that can potentially cause harm is not worth it at all. The sun will always shine tomorrow, but don't throw it all away in just a single day.

zer0das

Banned
I wouldn't be as worried about the rubbing alcohol, it is probably denatured with 10% methanol which is a way bigger concern. Although it takes a pretty trifling amount to hit the lethal dose 50 of rubbing alcohol too. I wouldn't be acting so blaise about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom