• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I know it's a big expense, but I really really suggest a 120hz monitor if you're looking to get into the 'enthusiast' bracket.

ASUS VG326H, BenQ XL2420T, and Samsung S23A700D are good choices.

ccbfan

Anyone know if a corsair 430W power supply is enough for a

i5 3570K
asrock z77 pro 4
8 gig Corsair Vengeance Ram
A SSD drive
A 1-2 TB HD
a 6850 or 6870.

A little OC on the processer (to 4.0-4.3 ghz)

There's one for real cheap on newegg.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone know if a corsair 430W power supply is enough for a

i5 3570K
asrock z77 pro 4
8 gig Corsair Vengeance Ram
A SSD drive
A 1-2 TB HD
a 6850 or 6870.

A little OC on the processer (to 4.0-4.3 ghz)

There's one for real cheap on newegg.
Spend money on a good unit for $30 more if you are powering that much with it. But, yes it can. It's more like a 380W unit though.

Ledsen

The only thing im concerned with in my setup is my temps. I'm averaging 35c~37c idle using 2600k and Hyper 212+ EVO with push/pull fans. I'm using the thermal paste that came with the evo and monitoring things with Realtemp. If i do a Prime95 stress test i get up to 70c.

It seems like those with a similar setup are reporting 28c-31c idle and 55c on Prime95. I'm not close to that.

Same temps I have (2500k, 212+ Evo, only one fan though). Doesn't sound high at all.

Want hardcore gaming then 120hz is the way to go with either benq or asus. If you want pretty colors then someone else will have to recommend, I know nothing of goods screens for that.

Personally I'd say color quality and color uniformity is the no 1 concern when it comes to gaming. I don't know which panels 120hz monitors come with, but I'd recommend anything but a TN panel. TN looks like shit in a bucket when it comes to color uniformity,

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If anyone is experiencing issues with any new Z77 boards please post.
EVGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least give me 3-5 minutes to sign up a freaking account.
Have you tried to buy any hot item on the internet?

Gotta be logged in with auto refresh + notify, because someone else will be. I know that's what I'm doing for GTX 670 stock. The only matter is whether Amazon will get some instock same time as newegg and I remember all the other non major vendors...
Thanks. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger soon.

I guess the one catch with the 7950 is that it's about two inches longer than the 5850, so I need to make sure I have legroom (unless you were already taking that into consideration).

I appreciate the help.
GTX 670 is the card to buy in 25 hours.

feel

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking into super hardcore input lag levels, just something that has very nice IQ/clarity with low enough input lag. What are the IPS monitors you guys would recommend for gaming?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks guys. BTW if you could tell me how you find these things out, that'd be great :)
Amazon pre-release page for the Galaxy 670.

I'll be staying up Wednesday night trying to get the Gigabyte 670 OC from either newegg or amazon.
TigerDirect can go screw itself for bungaling both of my two orders + listing things in stock that they don't have and charging people.
Added notifications although Galaxy is not my brand of choice.

Sethos

Banned
Thought my last parts had arrived, it was my USB Soundcard with Amplifier the Danish postal service has been bouncing around for over a week now, amateurs. Can't wait to hear what they can do over my soon-to-be-retired ASUS Xonar Essence STX with the HD650s.

ibl7pEmnTJa3J8.png

Karmum

Banned
I'm not sure why NewEgg didn't give me the traditional free 3 day shipping with UPS with my M4 order like they usually do...instead an "Eggsaver 4-7 days," and it's shipping from NJ (where I'm at) and going through the USPS. So basically, it'll probably be slow as shit. Cause it's a Shellshocker deal? Cause the package itself is small? Hope not.

Late birthday present, that's cool I guess. Kind of wanted to hook it up today though.

ombz

I'm not sure why NewEgg didn't give me the traditional free 3 day shipping with UPS with my M4 order like they usually do...instead an "Eggsaver 4-7 days," and it's shipping from NJ (where I'm at) and going through the USPS. So basically, it'll probably be slow as shit. Cause it's a Shellshocker deal? Cause the package itself is small? Hope not.

Late birthday present, that's cool I guess. Kind of wanted to hook it up today though.
Did you order off of eBay? Mine is supposed to come tommorrow through ups.

just wanna pop in and say thank you to everyone contributing/supporting the New PC OT, I've had this page subbed for a while, and when a buddy of mine needed help for D3, I was able to just pull this up and quote him some basic price points. Thanks to all who keep this updated, this is a fantastic resource.

Had a rude awakening lately, I thought all you need to buy from newegg if you were outside the US was an American address (which I arranged with my local courier company) since they don't ship internationally, but apparently they want a US credit card as well. Ended up buying from amazon anyway and thank god I found what I wanted.

Does anyone one know PC hardware websites that accept international CC besides amazon ?

I heard about TigerDirect, don't know if they accept non US CCs but anything else ?

Just out of curiosity what connection does the GPU have with the HDMI port? And just so Im clear ( I dont want to get my terminology wrong) the HDMI port that allows me to hook my pc up to my tv. I mean wouldnt the case have to have the port already built into it?

th3dude

SLI Question:

I have a 2.5gb 570. If I want to SLI, do I need another 2.5gb 570, or would I be able to SLI and 2 570s (and still use the 2.5gb of the main card)?

hyduK

Banned
Using a P8Z77-V Pro. No issues yet. Well, besides the first one having bent pins and having to be replaced. Running it with a 3770k. Haven't tried OC quite yet though.

Anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket cooler to use with a 670?

ombz

Just out of curiosity what connection does the GPU have with the HDMI port? And just so Im clear ( I dont want to get my terminology wrong) the HDMI port that allows me to hook my pc up to my tv. I mean wouldnt the case have to have the port already built into it?
The case doesn't have anything to do with video connection ports. The GPU and/or motherboard houses all of the video connections. If both your GPU and tv support hdmi you should be fine.

JB1981

The case doesn't have anything to do with video connection ports. The GPU and/or motherboard houses all of the video connections. If both your GPU and tv support hdmi you should be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong please but doesn't the motherboard support it? I mean, at least the HDMI out port to the monitor or TV or whatever.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Using a P8Z77-V Pro. No issues yet. Well, besides the first one having bent pins and having to be replaced. Running it with a 3770k. Haven't tried OC quite yet though.

Building my system this weekend with a P8z77-V, hoping I don't a have a dud. Nothing more annoying than having to RMA a mobo :/

ombz

Correct me if I'm wrong please but doesn't the motherboard support it? I mean, at least the HDMI out port to the monitor or TV or whatever.
Not all motherboards and CPUs support integrated video. At least for my PC (core i5 2500), my CPU has integrated graphics but my motherboard doesn't support this feature so I connect my monitor to my video card.

ParityBit

Building my system this weekend with a P8z77-V, hoping I don't a have a dud. Nothing more annoying than having to RMA a mobo :/

I just sent my P8Z77-V Deluxe back to Amazon. I believe it was causing an issue with my RAM when OC'ing. I got a second one from Newegg that I am going to try tonight. The reason I think it was my mobo and not my RAM is because I ran fine at stock, but when I OCed it would blue screen and reboot no matter which Kit I was using. Very unlikely to have two failing RAM kits.

I must say, I am nervous.

Nero3000

I'm looking at building a new PC and re-using an Antec Mini P180 case that currently houses a Windows Home Server. The WHS will be moved to a case with more HDD bays (probably an Fractal R3) but i worry about its power requirements.

It currently has a 350W PSU for the following specs:

- Intel E5200 (65W TDP)
- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31
- 2x1GB DDR2 800mhz
- 5 Hard Drives

Is 350W enough for that? what about with 8 HDD's?

For the new build, does anyone have a recommendation for a mATX Z77 board?

Also how big a PSU should i get for the following specs?

- Ivybridge i5 3570k
- Motherboard
- 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
- Intel 520 120GB SSD
- 500GB HDD
- GTX 670
- 2x Bluray Drives

Pirabear

Banned
·feist·;37682529 said:
1-Yes. 2-Yes, as a PhysX card, though I wouldn't bother. In some instances, it can hamper performance (particularly with non-reference cards running cheaper, slower memory). I'd sell the 430, pick up a nice replacement, OC it, and make sure the PCB is properly cooled.

Thanks! One last question, is it worth it for me to buy a SSD? I noticed that most people use it to boot their OS faster upon start up and free up a bit more HDD space. Should I even bother if I don't really care about that stuff?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I just sent my P8Z77-V Deluxe back to Amazon. I believe it was causing an issue with my RAM when OC'ing. I got a second one from Newegg that I am going to try tonight. The reason I think it was my mobo and not my RAM is because I ran fine at stock, but when I OCed it would blue screen and reboot no matter which Kit I was using. Very unlikely to have two failing RAM kits.

I must say, I am nervous.

Sorry to hear that. That's why I usually get my motherboards from my local Microcenter. I went with Newegg this time for some reason :/

The only I'm regretting is not having a modular Power supply. I hate cable management with a passion.

kennah

Thanks! One last question, is it worth it for me to buy a SSD? I noticed that most people use it to boot their OS faster upon start up and free up a bit more HDD space. Should I even bother if I don't really care about that stuff?

I was like you once. Then I used my computer with an SSD in it. It's not just faster boot time, it's faster everything. Programs start instantly. You will notice that there were wait times on things that you didn't think about before. Searches for information on your computer will be faster. Everything is just so clean an instant. It feels like you're using the future.

clav

It's faster and quieter than a standard hard drive at the cost of high GB per dollar. I wanted those two perks as I was tired of hearing the 7200.10 drive crank.

Don't expect unicorns and rainbows that it blows everything away as there are some things by design that still take a while to install (e.g. OS updates). Overall, the cost is worth it if you buy it $1/GB or less.

Microsoft really needs an updated file system to NTFS.

ParityBit

Sorry to hear that. That's why I usually get my motherboards from my local Microcenter. I went with Newegg this time for some reason :/

The only I'm regretting is not having a modular Power supply. I hate cable management with a passion.

Good luck! For the most part I have read they are really solid boards which is why I am giving it another try. Plus lots of pretty nice features!

The modular PSU is really nice but as it turns out I use a ton of connections anyways. Once I get the computer squared away I was planning on posting some pics!

1-D_FTW

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V4AK2K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon has dropped the price on their warehouse offerings to 254.09. Been watching this periodically for a while to see if I can snag a deal. Just ordered one. If it's got some defect, I've got amazon's 30 day return policy. Worth the hassle.

I expect to be dazzled, people. If 120hz isn't the bee's knees, people will be called out;)

EDIT: Somebody snagged the extra one that was left over. Gone.

hyduK

Banned
Probably my favorite part of my new build. Power button > sc2 in like 20 seconds.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

UPS 3 day died a long time ago dude.
Had a rude awakening lately, I thought all you need to buy from newegg if you were outside the US was an American address (which I arranged with my local courier company) since they don't ship internationally, but apparently they want a US credit card as well. Ended up buying from amazon anyway and thank god I found what I wanted.

Does anyone one know PC hardware websites that accept international CC besides amazon ?

I heard about TigerDirect, don't know if they accept non US CCs but anything else ?
I believe TigerDirect will be fine. Just order on the phone or on chat to make sure no problems pop up.
just wanna pop in and say thank you to everyone contributing/supporting the New PC OT, I've had this page subbed for a while, and when a buddy of mine needed help for D3, I was able to just pull this up and quote him some basic price points. Thanks to all who keep this updated, this is a fantastic resource.
NP. The i3 2120 system is more than enough for any Blizzard or Source game at 1080p, 60fps.
SLI Question:

I have a 2.5gb 570. If I want to SLI, do I need another 2.5gb 570, or would I be able to SLI and 2 570s (and still use the 2.5gb of the main card)?
Pretty sure same memory size, but honestly I have not dabbled nearly enough into this.
I'll have a used 2.5GB 570 to sell next week though hopefully if you are interested.

Shouldn't need an aftermarket for the 670 imo, but we will see. Arctic probably has some $50 cooler to sell you.

scogoth

Amazon has dropped the price on their warehouse offerings to 254.09. Been watching this periodically for a while to see if I can snag a deal. Just ordered one. If it's got some defect, I've got amazon's 30 day return policy. Worth the hassle.

I expect to be dazzled, people. If 120hz isn't the bee's knees, people will be called out;)

It' is the bees knees for any fast paced gaming. If all you want is sc2, wow, dota2, my little pony, then it's not going to do anything for you.

1-D_FTW

It' is the bees knees for any fast paced gaming. If all you want is sc2, wow, dota2, my little pony, then it's not going to do anything for you.

Nah. I'm mostly shooters, racers, and arcade style games. Plus the idie game here and there.

I've got enough old games in my backlog, too, that I can be playing at 1080/120fps till the GTX 760s come out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm looking at building a new PC and re-using an Antec Mini P180 case that currently houses a Windows Home Server. The WHS will be moved to a case with more HDD bays (probably an Fractal R3) but i worry about its power requirements.

It currently has a 350W PSU for the following specs:

- Intel E5200 (65W TDP)
- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31
- 2x1GB DDR2 800mhz
- 5 Hard Drives

Is 350W enough for that? what about with 8 HDD's?

For the new build, does anyone have a recommendation for a mATX Z77 board?

Also how big a PSU should i get for the following specs?

- Ivybridge i5 3570k
- Motherboard
- 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
- Intel 520 120GB SSD
- 500GB HDD
- GTX 670
- 2x Bluray Drives
The 350W should be ok with that. HDDs add about 10W each load, 3W idle I want to say.
mATX Z77 valuewise the Biostar one is really nice.
Do you guys see anything wrong with this? I am trying to get back into PC gaming on a budget since I just had a kid.

thanks guys.
Why would there be anything wrong with copy pasting the OP build? tsktsk.

I'd see if you can find a Samsung F3 500GB instead of the WD Blue.
I don't feel like building my own so I've been trying to find some good pre-made ones, any suggestions? ... What about this one, if I replace the GPU with say a Sapphire 7850 would it run BF3 1080p Max settings 60fps? - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TJKGTM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
A GT 520 gaming PC. Jesus christ. Upgrading to a 440? Clearly I've been thinking giving too much credit to people who buy this shit.
The FX 4100 is the worst gaming CPU you can buy. Unsure how the PSU would handle the 7850, and no a 7850 will not net you that high settings, BF3 is very demanding in MP.

If you do go prebuilt, this is not too bad:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051UWEH6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You get the 2100 at least, but really BF3 wants a true quad. VP450 is cheap and so is a 6870/7850.

Why would there be anything wrong with copy pasting the OP build? tsktsk.

I'd see if you can find a Samsung F3 500GB instead of the WD Blue.

I was not 100% sure how to read that build guide and pulled a few things from the other columns.

plus your comment about the samsung f3 is exactly what im looking for.

thanks!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
?

I have something in my cart right now that has "UPS Guaranteed 3 Day -- $0.00" as the default delivery option...
On most of the promotional items I buy I get 4-7 egg saver. It used to be just about everything was UPS 3 day iirc.

Yoritomo

Damn I was too slow.

There is nothing that can make even an old underpowered system feel faster than an SSD. I used to have some lightweight image editting software installed just so I could easily paste a screen shot. I feared any file that was associated with photoshop. With an SSD it doesn't matter. Photoshop boots in 5 seconds.

Any application that loads large amounts of small plugins and files (Photoshop, office, visual studio) will boot exponentially faster than on a mechanical drive. Boot times are faster. Even Windows scanning a directory and generating thumbs.db is much much faster. All of this contributes to a feeling of speed.

KarmaCow

So I'm thinking of getting a new PC before the Steam sale (ideally before Diablo 3 comes out but that's not likely) so should I just go with the Enhanced build? Should I be worried about getting an ATI card over Nvidia? I've heard bad things about compatibility issues.

It's mostly going to be for gaming/Wii emulation at 1680x1050 and 1360x768, it should be more than enough to run games like Witcher 2 at high right? I'm mostly just want to be able to play some of the latest games at decent settings without headache inducing framerates.

I'm not sure if I did it correctly but
I used the PCPartPicker site to get a rough idea where to get things (I'm in Canada so that probably changes everything though). Does anything look out of wack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom