• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceIpor

Alright thanks, I'll keep it in mind if I ever need to move it.

So anyone got SweetFX working on Windows 8.1? Keep solving one error after another, now getting "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

?

It seems to be running fine for me, and I haven't touched or changed anything to make it compatible...

EDIT: Did you download the DirectX 9 redistributable and install it yet? It doesn't come with windows 8.1.

maneil99

Yeah I looked that up. Not crazy enough to take apart an expensive CPU as of yet. This will be my first every build and foray into PC gaming lol.

And won't a smaller case create some crazy heat with a GTX 780 ti inside, especially eventually SLI'in it?

No poitn SLi'in unless you buy two cards at the same time, or buy the second card within a few months

No poitn SLi'in unless you buy two cards at the same time, or buy the second card within a few months

Why is that?

And I'm glad to see the equal disdain for Windows 8 here. When I got my general use laptop 6 months ago, it came with 8, but that got purged from my HDD and replaced with 7 immediately.

Windows 7 is Microsoft's Magnum Opus.

Why is that?

And I'm glad to see the equal disdain for Windows 8 here. When I got my general use laptop 6 months ago, it came with 8, but that got purged from my HDD and replaced with 7 immediately.

Windows 7 is Microsoft's Magnum Opus.

SLI brings extra difficulties, is not supported by all games. Basically it is only worth it if you want something very powerful that you cannot get with one card. If you end up getting an extra card a long time after, there are probably better cards on the market and you are better off selling your current one and buying a better one.

That way you don't have to deal with SLI issues.

Also, these Windows 8 issues were pretty specific, plenty of people in this thread who recommend it.

molnizzle

Serial numbers won't match.

Won't matter, I doubt that the serial numbers are in their inventory system.

I've done this exact thing before, even with items that had serial numbers in the system (like Xbox One). Just stare blankly and play dumb. You're not screwing them, they still have a brand new item to sell on the floor at full price.

No big deal IMO.

Sky Chief

I will be giving Windows 8.1 a try as soon as my PSU arrives. I have used 8 before and thought it was absolute garbage but I will give 8.1 a shot. Any recommended customizations to make it a better desktop experience?

SLI brings extra difficulties, is not supported by all games. Basically it is only worth it if you want something very powerful that you cannot get with one card. If you end up getting an extra card a long time after, there are probably better cards on the market and you are better off selling your current one and buying a better one.

That way you don't have to deal with SLI issues.

I was all, "I'm out" at all games not supporting it. Besides, I have a friend who did SLI it and he said it's just overkill and unneeded. He just wanted it to show off with! lol

LilJoka

I will be giving Windows 8.1 a try as soon as my PSU arrives. I have used 8 before and thought it was absolute garbage but I will give 8.1 a shot. Any recommended customizations to make it a better desktop experience?

Start is back to get rid of metro.
Reg tweak to get rid of folders in My Computer.
Take Ownership reg file if you have data on a HDD that was previously connected to a Win 7 machine.
Uninstall all Apps.
Default Programs - Set everything to use a desktop equivalent for Picture/Music and anything else ive forgotten.
Unpin IE from taskbar lol

Parents been using a PC configured like this and they havent noticed it wasnt the normal PC.

Ashhong

Serial numbers won't match.

They dont scan the serial numbers though.

So I installed into Windows 7 again, but I am having trouble installing Asus drivers and such. The AI Suite software setup program wont even open. The VGA drivers say "does not meet minimum requirements"

Any ideas?

Stubo

Download network driver on another PC if required, install using a USB stick. Download the newest version of everything else from the manufacturer websites, graphics drivers direct from AMD/Nvidia - sorted! :D

MNC

First basic setup, took me about 10 minutes so this is bound to change but I just couldn't wait

Intel Core i5 4670K Boxed € 189,50
ASRock B85M Pro4 € 52,90
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX € 60,04
Asus GeForce GTX 770 € 281,75
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB € 69,90
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST2000DM001, 2TB € 67,95
Antec VP450P € 44,10
NZXT Switch 810 € 152,50
Samsung SH-224DB Zwart € 13,31
Logitech MK520 Wireless Combo (QWERTY) € 33,05

Totals to about 900

The NZXT Switch is more because it's gorgeous; but I'm not going to buy it.

Stubo

First basic setup, took me about 10 minutes so this is bound to change but I just couldn't wait

Intel Core i5 4670K Boxed € 189,50
ASRock B85M Pro4 € 52,90

Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX € 60,04
Asus GeForce GTX 770 € 281,75
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB € 69,90
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST2000DM001, 2TB € 67,95
Antec VP450P € 44,10
NZXT Switch 810 € 152,50
Samsung SH-224DB Zwart € 13,31
Logitech MK520 Wireless Combo (QWERTY) € 33,05

The NZXT Switch is more because it's gorgeous; but I'm not going to buy it.
You'll need a Z87 motherboard if you want to take advantage of the overclocking ability of the CPU. Maybe consider an EVGA 500B power supply if you can get a good price in your country. Otherwise parts look fine to me.

Look in the OP for a selection of cases at better price points. The R4 is my personal recommendation.

I was all, "I'm out" at all games not supporting it. Besides, I have a friend who did SLI it and he said it's just overkill and unneeded. He just wanted it to show off with! lol

Well, with 120 Hz and 4K resolutions now it doesn't have to be overkill, in some situations you don't really have an alternative.

knitoe

Download and install Classic Shell. Makes Windows 8 look and perform like Windows 7.

So I installed into Windows 7 again, but I am having trouble installing Asus drivers and such. The AI Suite software setup program wont even open. The VGA drivers say "does not meet minimum requirements"

Any ideas?

Does Asus have the drivers for each hardware, MB, sound, usb and/or etc., separately on their website? If yes, download them and all install each one by one. Then, grab the video card drivers from Nvidia, AMD or Intel.

MNC

You'll need a Z87 motherboard if you want to take advantage of the overclocking ability of the CPU. Maybe consider an EVGA 500B power supply if you can get a good price in your country. Otherwise parts look fine to me.

Look in the OP for a selection of cases at better price points. The R4 is my personal recommendation.

Hmm, alright. Any pointers on how to check if the two parts fit? Or is it just that the Asrock doesn't support overclocking?

Hmm, alright. Any pointers on how to check if the two parts fit? Or is it just that the Asrock doesn't support overclocking?

It is the chipset, it has B85 in the name which is not for overclocking, Z87 is. You should easily be able to find it on the specs of a motherboard if it is not in the name.

And pay attention to the socket, but I think you already do that.

Kenpachi

Hey everyone!
Im pretty new to the world of the PC and i was wondering if anyone could help me find parts needed to make a PC.

I want to use it to play some of the newer games coming out, capture and stream video from the PC and my consoles(with the elgato).
I would also like it to last and not overheat.

In the US and my budget is up to $1300 also no deadline.
Thanks! if i need to add more details let me know and ill edit this post.
Edit: i would also like a monitor or two.
Is the Benq RL2460HT a good monitor to buy to play my console games and stream them? http://shop.benq.us/monitors/gaming/rl2460ht.html

Stubo

Hey everyone!
Im pretty new to the world of the PC and i was wondering if anyone could help me find parts needed to make a PC.

I want to use it to play some of the newer games coming out, capture and stream video from the PC and my consoles(with the elgato).
I would also like it to last and not overheat.

In the US and my budget is up to $1300 also no deadline.
Thanks! if i need to add more details let me know and ill edit this post.
Edit: i would also like a monitor or two.
Is the Benq RL2460HT a good monitor to buy to play my console games and stream them? http://shop.benq.us/monitors/gaming/rl2460ht.html
You'll probably be looking at something like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($141.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($334.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1083.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-26 15:57 EDT-0400)

The case is personal preference, I've also left out monitors and platter hdd storage. It's a base for you anyway :)

kennah

I was wondering, how come Mini-ITX power supplies aren't suggested very much, especially on SFF builds?

Most cases don't require them. A good short modular is usually a better choice for cheaper.

However - Silverstone does have a 600W SFX Powersupply coming out soon. I'm probably going to get one (My case does require a SFX PSU)

Kenpachi

You'll probably be looking at something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($141.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($334.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1083.64
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-26 15:57 EDT-0400)

The case is personal preference, I've also left out monitors and platter hdd storage. It's a base for you anyway :)

Thanks so much, i love the case too ill definitely pick this up. :D

SHADES

So, I've been mulling over a self build i5 for a while but my budget was only £500 and was contemplating upgrading my current rig or doing the budget build when today I dropped on what I think is a bargin.

I7 3770
16Gb ram
1TB HDD
100GB SDD
HD 6870 DD
600w PSU

Managed to wait until the last second and plucked it from ebay, just got it home set it up finally downloaded DayZ and.....

Holy fucking shit!

This thing is fucking awesome, so fast, DayZ looks gorgeous and runs so smooth, wow I'm just bowled over tbh, compared to my crappy i3 R7 240 workstation I feel like I've been knocked out in the 70's and woke up modern day.

I know the GPU is a little on the old side but so far more than matches my demands so I'm one happy bunny and soon to be a PC gamer. I might invest in a new GPU in a couple of months but thus far more than pleased with my eBay gamble, and the seller was a top genuine bloke and was quite suprised it went for what it did but we both agreed that the high 1st bid (my only bid) was what put people off.

i'm looking at a budget of up to $1100 pre-tax/shipping for a gaming PC to be built in august or september.

lemme know if there's anything i can improve from this.

(motherboard price is from a Micro Center combo deal. OS is 100% definitely Win 8.1 Professional.)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($153.95 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($121.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $1042.39
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-26 17:21 EDT-0400)

LilJoka

Any ideas?

Get all drivers and software from the website. Dont use the CD its out dated.
AI suite is buggy, nothing unexpected as is all motherboard software. Install the bare minimum from Aisuite, such as turbov, fan control and sensors. You may want to use a the ai suite removal tool first. Only crap software needs hacky removal tools.

I like to update Windows first to prevent dependency failures like Visual C runtimes and .Net.

So i got my PC up and running a few weeks ago. The problem I'm having is that i have random freezes/lockups. My pc will pretty much lock up for about 1 second or so randomly. Any common causes of this/ways to troubleshoot? Running a 4670k/760. games like DotA will do this, and my mouse will also get laggy as well. I'm using a logitech MKX 5500, which is blutooth, so that could be a cause. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

MikeDown

Banned
I would think about optimising your list rather than going for a pre built that has a tacky chassis, probably a "just enough" power supply and other shortcuts.

I'll ask you, why go full ATX?
admittedly I wasn't really paying attention to that, I was basing things around reviews of a good mobo

LilJoka

admittedly I wasn't really paying attention to that, I was basing things around reviews of a good mobo

I asked because in my experience everyone goes ATX because it closes the least amount of doors. And it's exactly the same thing as I did when I built my first rig, totally because you really don't know what makes a good board.

Things that make a difference if overclocking, number of CPU power phases, 8 minimum. The rest just gets better with more expensive boards. That's mainly component quality, but has diminishing returns.

It's also nice to have lots of motherboard fan headers.
People do a similar thing with adding or replacing case fans.... It literally makes no difference unless you have an awful case.

Here's a quick mATX rig I configd for you.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3z2XL

If you don't want to SLI ever, go for ITX. Personally I would never SLI unless I've got enough money to SLI the 2 flagship cards. Otherwise much less hassle, heat, noise to stick with the single best GPU you can afford.

scojitsu

I'd be eternally grateful if someone is able to fix this problem.

Basically, my PC suffers a BSOD but only when I use certain applications. The majority of games I've installed work splendid for example:

Skyrim works 100%
World of Warcraft works 100%
Sleeping Dogs works 100%
Sonic Generations works 100%
Tomb Raider works 100%

My emulator to play PS2 games, PCSX2 works 100%
Benchmarking tools such as Heaven, Fumark and stress testing with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility all perfectly stable.

Windows 8.1 runs fine.

This is the part I'm pulling my hair out. Whenever I play Battlefield 4, Planetside 2 or run Cinebench to benchmark my GPU/CPU I get the dreaded BSOD.

My system Specs:
EVGA 780 Superclocked ACX
i5 4670k
Gigabyte G1.SNIPER Z87 Motherboard
Corsair CMY8GX3M2A1866C9 Vengeance Pro Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz CL9 XMP
XFX 850W Black Edition 80+ Gold Fully-Modular Power Supply
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

So, does anyone know why my system is able to play some games perfectly, yet a select few will not run at all?

P.S. A few things to point out.
-The BSOD says machine_check_exception.
-My system is not over clocked although I have increased Vcore voltage to 1.2 as I thought it may have been set too low.

UK gaf, trying to get a tentative build for someone in the UK. Don't know the market at all. Started throwing one together but went overbudget.

Budget: 700 pounds
For gaming. Tower only, no parts reuse.

sal0713

Neo Member
What is a good bluetooth usb adapter i can buy for my desk, i prefer one sold by amazon if anyone know any good one for a cheap price let me know.

Donrule01

Banned
Anybody have a Corsair Obsidian Series Black 450D case? I love the clean look and the magnetic dust filters on top and bottom. SSD rails behind the motherboard is also cool.

Just wondering if you have one if you enjoy it.

SHADES

UK gaf, trying to get a tentative build for someone in the UK. Don't know the market at all. Started throwing one together but went overbudget.

Budget: 700 pounds
For gaming. Tower only, no parts reuse.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3z8WO

Just a quick throw together as I'm off to bed (02:35am here) but I'm sure someone with more experience could throw a better build together.

Edit* picked the wrong ram! the 2xGB is just there or there about tho.

jimmypop

Banned
You likely wouldn't see a significant increase. Wait a few months for the refresh, then it might be worth doing?

Thanks; I think that's probably my best option. I'm really liking how much mileage I'm getting out of this circa-2008 CPU. It's a beast - hits 4.2Ghz @ ~1.3v, and with 1.4v notches just past 4.5Ghz.

Donrule01

Banned
So my screen has been blacking out once in awhile then turning back on. I am not sure if this is a monitor or PC issue?

Is it a normal LCD backlight(non LED)? If so then the ballast or the CFL tubes may be dodgy. If its and LED set it might be an issues with the port (seen mostly with HDMI connections).

Quickly put together this setup (already own the Rosewill) this afternoon after being referred to the Z87:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
  • Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit]

Primary concern is the H100i cooler being compatible with the case. Will probably SLI and add RAM down the road.

So how am I doing thus far?

Edit:pC Part picker list for better reference: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3zaeh

bro1

Banned
Anybody have a Corsair Obsidian Series Black 450D case? I love the clean look and the magnetic dust filters on top and bottom. SSD rails behind the motherboard is also cool.

Just wondering if you have one if you enjoy it.
Just bought one today. The easiest and cleanest install I've ever done. A couple of small quirks like the hdd cage and the optical bay but overall a great case.

Soon.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£227.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£79.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£95.84 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£233.22 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.09 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card (£529.99 @ Dabs)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£80.89 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£132.17 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1475.12 ($2478)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-27 05:37 BST+0100)

Okay how will I know if the clearances on all this stuff will fit in a micro case like mkenyons listed stuff? I'm already super paranoid about it in a normal case, but after looking around and not really finding one I like (I want one less than a hundred dollars, very plain looking, the gaudy ones turn me right off, but not "flimsy" and "cheap" and they seem to jump from fold-able thin metal that are just plain black straight to glass sides and sick neonz broz so if you can find me one thats normal but semi professional looking and not going to fall over by me walking near it post it here as well) I am going to try and look into those cubes as they look kind of cool. What do I have to look out for there? Are they pretty much exclusively micro atx? Do I only have to worry about the motherboard really? Or look at some stuff for the graphics card as well?

i should read the thread more often as just two posts above me there is a case being talked about that i like so i should just buy that

appaws

Banned
Quickly put together this setup (already own the Rosewill) this afternoon after being referred to the Z87:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
  • Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit]

Primary concern is the H100i cooler being compatible with the case. Will probably SLI and add RAM down the road.

So how am I doing thus far?

Edit:pC Part picker list for better reference: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3zaeh

That looks like a pretty big case, seems like an h100i would not be a problem fitting in. Specs say a 120x2 or a 140x2 fits in the top. Here is a video of a guy putting one in that very case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiSwrvmD4ko

That looks pretty roomy up there. You should look into the new h105 maybe. Better performance. thicker rad. Of course it always depends on the layout of the MB fitting these things in.

Build looks OK to me. You are spending a good chunk of loot....maybe a bigger SSD. I ran through a 120GB Samsung pretty quickly, got tired of moving things around, and just recently popped for a bigger one.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After over 2 years of running my 2600k at 4.5ghz, this weekend I finally bumped it up to 4.6ghz. Just finished 24 hrs of prime 95 and then a few rounds of BF4.
I don't plan on upgrading this year so I might as well push my current setup a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom