• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

There's no need to remove current overclocks (EVGA Precision) / remove old driver? :eek:

Definitely no need to remove old driver. All Nvidia cards use the same driver package.

Chances are the EVGA precision overclock won't even affect the new card but you can disable/uninstall it when you switch to be on the safe side if you'd like.

Anyone with Sandy (2500k/2600k) moving to the new Haswell-E chips? The 5820k is super tempting right now. And my 2600k is acting up, won't keep overclock at 4.5. Getting random lockups.

garath

Anyone with Sandy (2500k/2600k) moving to the new Haswell-E chips? The 5820k is super tempting right now. And my 2600k is acting up, won't keep overclock at 4.5. Getting random lockups.

Not me.

100% personal opinion here, especially with my budget in mind:

it's a complete waste of money. Any possible benefit I would see in gaming (which is 99% of what I do on my computer) is completely offset by the massive cost. Instead I'm focusing on upgrading the GPU, monitor and SSD. I will see a lot more personal benefit.

Bollocks

This might be a stupid question but is there any downside in using a 850 watt psu to drive a single gpu setup?

I'm thinking 5930k + 980GTX with SLI maybe down the road.
Apart from the higher price there's no downside?

Azzurri

Anyone else planning for a gtx970 sli setup? Unless I'm missing something I'de say its probably the best setup for 4k.

I think I'm gonna go this route, I usually buy the single most powerful card like I did with the 580 at the time, but 330 for 1 card that is almost as good as the one that's 200 more, and 660 for SLI is just too good too pass up.

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
Anyone else planning for a gtx970 sli setup? Unless I'm missing something I'de say its probably the best setup for 4k.

I'm debating whether I want to or not right now and trying to find more opinions on it. I don't have any experience with SLI, only with Crossfire, but Crossfire has been a pain for me (Waiting for driver support, microstutter, etc.). My monitor is 1440p (Swift) so I probably could use the extra performance.

I would say there is no point in upgrading your CPU, unless you go for a new and current motherboard, like Haswell.

How much do you want to spend anyways?

Planning on getting an SSD, new PSU, and a gtx 970 (not sure if EVGA, MSI, or Gigabyte).
Looking to spend near $800.

mkenyon

Banned
This might be a stupid question but is there any downside in using a 850 watt psu to drive a single gpu setup?
No downside. The PSU will pull what it needs.
Planning on getting an SSD, new PSU, and a gtx 970 (not sure if EVGA, MSI, or Gigabyte).
Looking to spend near $800.
$350 - 970
$200 - 500GB Samsung EVO/Crucial MX100
$100 - Whatever quality PSU happens to be on sale when you buy. If that moment is now, let me know, and I'll look something up.

$350 - 970
$200 - 500GB Samsung EVO/Crucial MX100
$100 - Whatever quality PSU happens to be on sale when you buy. If that moment is now, let me know, and I'll look something up.

Looking to buy in a week or two. So what 2 or 3 PSU would you recommend?
EDIT: I would also like a PSU that will let me upgrade in a few years or maybe go SLI with the 970.

mkenyon

Banned
Looking to buy in a week or two. So what 2 or 3 PSU would you recommend?
EDIT: I would also like a PSU that will let me upgrade in a few years or maybe go SLI with the 970.
Always buy the best single card you can. Never ever plan on a future possibility of SLI. Only SLI to achieve required performance that is otherwise unattainable with a single card.

The PSUs in the OP are all good. Seasonic, Corsair AX/RM, Coolermaster V/VSM, Rosewill HIVE.

The Llama

As others have said, no downside. Just thought I'd make a recommendation: I use a Corsair RM series PSU, and what's good about the RM series is the fan stays off (so it's completely silent) until the PSU is at like ~60% usage. So basically, it's silent unless you're gaming. I'd recommend it to you since if you get an 850 watt one, it'll be silent basically 100% of the time. Just a thought.

wilflare

I would look for 2TB hard regular hard drive at the minimum. Current gen games are hitting the 30-60 GB mark. When you combine that with your media files, your TB goes fast.

I was running a 3TB setup (1TB and 2TB respectively). Both drives got down to ~120 GB of space pretty quick and I was using one just for media files and the other for video games and apps.

My current build has a 500 GB SSD for Windows and important apps. 1TB for games. 2TB for media and I still think I'm going to need an upgrade soon since the HDDs are getting old.

If you have a SSD you won't get a lot of benefit of a hybrid drive, just go with a normal one with as much capacaity as you want.

thanks for the reply guys!

so the final drive setup would be like

Apps and Games: 1TB WD Black? so I really shouldn't bother with the SSHD?
Media: I was thinking of getting a bunch of WD Reds for NAS...

OTIX

Some of the 970s like the strix only have one displayport, I'm wondering if that's going to be enough going forward. Do we expect the CV1 to use DP? Presumably there will soon be plenty of high end monitors like the swift that only support DP.

In an SLI setup are the outputs of both cards available to use, or only one?

mkenyon

Banned
Some of the 970s like the strix only have one displayport, I'm wondering if that's going to be enough going forward. Do we expect the CV1 to use DP? Presumably there will soon be plenty of high end monitors like the swift that only support DP.

In an SLI setup are the outputs of both cards available to use, or only one?
I personally wouldn't buy it for that reason. I use a lot of DP monitors though, as my preference is towards G-Sync and 120/144Hz stuff.

You can use any of the outputs from all the cards in an SLI configuration.
May as well ask here. Just ordered the Evga 970. Will my PSU suffice?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ILWY9G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Currently: i7 4790k, 1 SSD, 1 HDD, TP-LINK Link wireless card.
Totally fine.

knitoe

I went from a 2600K@4.5GHz to 5930K@4.2GHz. Just browsing around the PC, it feels slightly more responsive. Generally, games are faster. Workloads are most definitely faster. Worth the upgrade for $1200, probably, no. I made the upgrade because was I tired of waiting and more waiting for the worthwhile performance gains.

Other then cost, no. It actually is better to use a much more power PSU. Most PSU are most efficient at ~50% load. And, since the PSU won't be under a heavy load, they are in the most quiet mode.

Xis

I have:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955
GPU - Geforce 560

Is it worth updating from the 560 to a 970 this year or am I better off building a whole new box next year?
(i.e. how much of a bottleneck is my CPU?)

If every setting is kept the same and you just lower the game resolution, you framerate will increase. The only except is if your CPU is the limiting factor and can't process any faster.

So theoretically I can Max out a game at 720p or is maxing out only for 1080p, if I can't get this deal, I'm going to stick with a 400-450 build and I don't want to spend any more money than I have too

Pedersen

I am so bad when it comes to things regarding a PC, and when I built one back in 2010, someone made a list for me and I just ordered the parts. And now when the new cards got released I think I'm ready for an upgrade. Anyway, my question is:
Will a MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB PhysX Work with this setup? And would be great if you could also recommend some RAM and an SSD. Do I need anything else?

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1050T
Thuban 45nm Technology
RAM
4,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 620MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. Crosshair IV Formula (AM3)
Graphics
BenQ XL2420T (1920x1080@120Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (XFX Pine Group)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (XFX Pine Group)
Storage
74GB INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC ATA Device (SSD)
279GB Seagate ST3300822AS ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

mkenyon

Banned
If anyone can doublecheck my thinking, that would be great -

The EVGA ACX style cooler for the 970 cards has a heatpipe configuration that would work poorly when rotated 90 degrees in a Silverstone Fortress FT02 case, right?

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=242#tab6 (go to the Q&A tab and click on the first question)
Yeah, looks like it'll be fine. The heatpipes would be most like the first picture.
I have:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955
GPU - Geforce 560

Is it worth updating from the 560 to a 970 this year or am I better off building a whole new box next year?
(i.e. how much of a bottleneck is my CPU?)
Yes, it's worth upgrading. You'll get increase performance through just about everything. Your CPU is holding you back, mostly in multiplayer games, source engine, UE3 engine, Blizzard games, MMOs, and strategy games.

garath

Yeah, looks like it'll be fine. The heatpipes would be most like the first picture.

Yes, it's worth upgrading. You'll get increase performance through just about everything. Your CPU is holding you back, mostly in multiplayer games, source engine, UE3 engine, Blizzard games, MMOs, and strategy games.

So everything except 2d platformers :p

Damn the 980 is looking sexy. A 4790k shouldn't bottleneck it right?

geforecetsates23.jpg

In theory the 980 could get up to 20-25% more performance. Not a bad jump from last year at all.

garath

So with a 144hz monitor, it's best to secure a stable 144fps correct? Or am I misunderstanding the way it is working?

I fear that no single card will have a rock solid 144fps moving forward even at 1080p with everything turned up.

garath

Keep it around 90 to infinity and you'll be golden.

Awesome. Good to hear. The 970 with my 2500k should do that no problem. I've talked my wife into a nice monitor around $250 for xmas on top of the GPU I've already budgeted for. Gaming is great :) Will be awesome to see the new monitor in CS:GO

Looking up upgrade my daughter's pc.

Its almost her birthday and she wants a new or upgraded pc so her Sims games run better. Here is her current computer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113188

I don't have a lot of money. $300 to $400 max. I'm looking to reuse the ram and hard drive and my spare nvidia gtx 660.

I could take the motherboard and put it in a normal case but its a FM1 slot so cpu upgrades seem pointless.

I'm think about this cpu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116946

Its an i3 dual core. The Tech report recommended for a budget build

This motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132083

This case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345051

and this power supply (maybe, I might have a good 500 watt in storage): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Feedback? I'm not against AMD.

Xis

Thanks much! Most of my PC time is spent on Blizzard titles, so maybe I will wait until I can upgrade my CPU as well.

xBladeM6x

How is NCIX with their Free Shipping? There's still SC 980's there, and I want to bite, but if it's going to take like a full week, I'm not sure. Lol

iavi

Always buy the best single card you can. Never ever plan on a future possibility of SLI. Only SLI to achieve required performance that is otherwise unattainable with a single card.

The PSUs in the OP are all good. Seasonic, Corsair AX/RM, Coolermaster V/VSM, Rosewill HIVE.

With the release of the 970/980, and a lot of the SLI annoyances being ironed out, the usual 'single gpu is always better' rule doesn't really stick anymore. If you're looking for power, are thinking SLI, and can spare it, it's a much better deal to plan a build around two 970s and a psu that can handle rather than one and a smallish PSU that'll need to be replaced need you ever want to SLI.

I say this as someone who OG built his rig around an amazing Seasonic 550w that's served me well, but'll fall just short of handling a second 970.

mkenyon

Banned
SLI Profiles. DX9 games. Day one releases. All sorts of minor annoyances. They still exist.

But most importantly, my point was to not PLAN for a future of SLI. If you're going to do it, do it, and do it to achieve performance that you wouldn't otherwise be able to attain with a single card.

The person was talking about further down the line. If at that point, there's a GTX 1080 for $550 with 20-40% performance over a 980, then you will be better served by selling something like a 970 and upgrading to the 1080.

iavi

SLI Profiles. DX9 games. Day one releases. All sorts of minor annoyances. They still exist.

But most importantly, my point was to not PLAN for a future of SLI. If you're going to do it, do it, and do it to achieve performance that you wouldn't otherwise be able to attain with a single card.

The person was talking about further down the line. If at that point, there's a GTX 1080 for $550 with 20-40% performance over a 980, then you will be better served by selling something like a 970 and upgrading to the 1080.

Ah I'm getting you now.

Still, I think it IS better to plan for SLI in terms of choosing the PSU, if the itch to ever do it is there at all. The extra couple dollars and headroom'll save money in the long-run.

I just ordered a new Rig, and I want to know what kind of performance I can expect from it.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k

RAM: 8 GB of DDR3-1600

Storage: 120 GB SSd
500 GB WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm HDD

Graphics Cards:AMD Radeon R9-270x 2GB

Power Supply: 500w Gold

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming

Is 1080p 60fps at medium to high settings achievable for the rig?

BIGWORM

What wattage power supplies are we looking at for these new cards? I'm gonna go 970, maybe SLI.

I'm rocking a 550W in my 4670k/GTX 680 setup.

I just ordered a new Rig, and I want to know what kind of performance I can expect from it.

Specs:

Depending on the game, but that rig should churn out 1080/60 no problem.

iavi

Specs:

For the majority of games, yeah

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As others have said, no downside. Just thought I'd make a recommendation: I use a Corsair RM series PSU, and what's good about the RM series is the fan stays off (so it's completely silent) until the PSU is at like ~60% usage. So basically, it's silent unless you're gaming. I'd recommend it to you since if you get an 850 watt one, it'll be silent basically 100% of the time. Just a thought.

I have one of those PSUs. When I get my 970 tomorrow it should be a very quiet system at idle- only the hum of the H60 pump as my case fans are quiet and slow, and my OS is on an SSD. Fingers crossed it'll be quiet enough to pass the wife test for living room TV use :)

iavi

Ok great to know. How do those new Nvida cards, specifically the 970 stack up against the 270x. Because I would like to know before I start putting the rig together.

The 270x is the ol 7870 with a few modifications. Running at $200, it's not a particularly good deal right now considering the 970 is $329 and is a SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful card.

AMD's just not a good buy right now. They're rumored to have some price shake-ups coming down the line soon, though.

Faith

Guys, I'm having problems finding the right mainboard for my new SLI setup. The problem is that I have a PCI-soundcard. I wanted to buy the Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 but:

The only PCI slot would be covered with the fans of the 2nd GPU.

Is there any alternative that would work for me for a similar price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom