• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windam

Scaley member
Temps after switching to the Phantom 410 from the 300 Illusion as well as a CM Hyper 212+ Evo from a Freezer 13: goes up to about 52 degrees under full load, versus 86 from before. (Same Arctic MX-4 thermal paste used.)

Gotdamn.

inpired_1ne

Neo Member
Any full tower case recommendations so far I'm liking the caselabs sma8, smt10 and the 900d. I like the straight lines of these cases and also big fan of white.

thespot84

So I just need to figure out how to use the WOL on a Z87 from a powered-off state?

there should be a bios setting to enable it and then a sub setting to keep your network adapter on even when the power is off. WoL is a standard so once you're up and running you should be able to control it with any peripheral that supports it.

mkenyon

Banned
Any full tower case recommendations so far I'm liking the caselabs sma8, smt10 and the 900d. I like the straight lines of these cases and also big fan of white.
Going for a full custom loop?

900D looks a lot better in pics than it does in person. Lots of cheap plastic that does well in photos.

Check out the Little Devil PC V7 and V8. FrozenCPU (or performance pc's maybe?) has had them on crazy discount for awhile.

Also the Phanteks Enthoo Primo would be my "mass manufactured" full tower of choice.
My Qnix monitor arrived about a week ago. Works perfectly, and no dead pixels. The only negative is the ips glow, but that's to be expected on a PLS/IPS monitor.
Is it one of the overclockable ones? dat 120hz

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Today's deliveries...

5eu7b.jpg

f7u7g.jpg

The M.2 SSD is absolutely miniscule even if comparing with the big HyperX DDR4. That's a 256gb XP941.

inpired_1ne

Neo Member
Going for a full custom loop?

900D looks a lot better in pics than it does in person. Lots of cheap plastic that does well in photos.

Check out the Little Devil PC V7 and V8. FrozenCPU (or performance pc's maybe?) has had them on crazy discount for awhile.

Also the Phanteks Enthoo Primo would be my "mass manufactured" full tower of choice.

Is it one of the overclockable ones? dat 120hz

Yes I want to build a full custom loop, also have a few ideas I want to try. Need the space to pull it off though.

I checked out the cases you mentioned, not liking the enthoo primo that much. Something about the little devil is off to me also. It's a nice case that allows for many different options for a build. I think the side panels are the issue, not feeling the way they open. I'm leaning more towards case labs, just like the total package with them. Thanks for the recommendations if you have anymore let me know.

mkenyon

Banned
I've done a build in an SM5, SM8 and SMH10. Love all of em. The powder quality is really rough, very industrial.

Lots of closeups in my gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/ReFKB

With some custom powder though, they go from being amazingly built to amazingly built and beautiful:

The S5 w/ pedestal is the ultimate for me, haven't bit the bullet on doing one of those yet.

I had vertical sync and triple buffering on in the control panel. Turned them off and I was getting frame rates in the hundreds during F.E.A.R.'s test, though there was some tearing. I'm really not knowledgeable about these things. Are there better implementations for vertical sync and triple buffering than Nvidia's?

Edit: I did reinstall the driver. Used a program to try and clean up everything including the integrated GPU driver. Maybe Steam's FPS counter isn't 100% accurate because the FPS tends to fluctuate around 60 FPS. Also looked into the issue the game has with Logitech stuff and did what was recommended.

inpired_1ne

Neo Member
I've done a build in an SM5, SM8 and SMH10. Love all of em. The powder quality is really rough, very industrial.

With some custom powder though, they go from being amazingly built to amazingly built and beautiful:

The S5 w/ pedestal is the ultimate for me, haven't bit the bullet on doing one of those yet.

Amazing work, I want to go all out with this build and do all the work my self from cooling to sleeving to case mods. This will be my first build so it will take me sometime but nothing I can't handle. Fist thing I will be ordering is my case to be able to plan out everything. Then cooling components so I can mock up the pumps and resevoirs. Been doing a lot of research lately trying to absorb as much info as I can.

zulfate

hi pc gaf, i am building my friend a simple gaming pc. mostly he will be playing blizzard style games. do these specs all look good? i got them from hazaros list.

GIGABYTE GV-N75TOC-2GI G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400

SilverStone Precision Series PS10B Black High-strength plastic front panel, steel body ATX Mid Tower

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x LGA 1150 Intel B85 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)v

Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

thanks in advance, i just want to make sure all these components work together.

Grinchy

Banned

Holy shit.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
God dayum, ordered my 280x yesterday and I checked its tracking ID and it's currently in a town a mere hour away :). <3 Swedish postal service, it should be here by afternoon.

Oh fuck my life. Went to check the price on 290/290x today and almost all the stores here in sweden have stopped selling them. And those that do sell it for around 1000kr more expensive than the regular price it had 2 days ago.

Why is this happening to me, i was only 18 days away from having 3000kr, and now they're all 4000kr or even more. Fuck me.

I swear this happened with the GTX 770 as well, when I was first looking at them about a month ago they were around 1500-1700, then they got bumped to 2200-3000.

Yes, I have a M310.

That might be your main issue then: Follow This Guide to fix it. Basically you gotta disable a bunch of stuff in the device manager. It sucks.

RGM79

So after tweaking with the parts a bit this is what I came up with. I already have a Case/Secondary HD/Heatsink..

Any more suggestions before I pull the trigger this weekend?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $788.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-10 17:52 EST-0500

Your budget is $800? What case and heatsink do you already have?

You chose a non-overclocking processor to go with a type of motherboard usually paired with overclocking processors. I recommend you either move up to the better overclockable i5 4690K to match the Z97 or go with a cheaper H97 motherboard to match the i5 4690.

There's cheaper and faster memory out there. Here's 8GB of G.Skill DDR3-1866 for $64.

Power supply's not bad, but again, there's slightly cheaper and better models out there. For example, here's an EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt model ($55 after $30 rebate). Overkill for your needs.. but it's $5 cheaper than the Antec 620 watt PSU and received very high ratings in reviews.

Huh, that's odd. PCPartsPicker now says the Antec power supply you chose is now $48 at Newegg after 15% promo code and $20 rebate. If you can get that, then that's the better option and will bring the below parts list to just about $800. Apparently the price shot up to $60 in the last few hours then dropped again, looking at the price tracker in that link.

Anyway, with the money saved, it was possible to bump up to the MSI R9 290X ($283). Here's what I'd recommend:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($63.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($282.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($48.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $801.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-10 23:58 EST-0500

The MSI R9 290X is nice, but if you do want to save about $43 you can go with the non-X R9 290 you originally had in the list.

hi pc gaf, i am building my friend a simple gaming pc. mostly he will be playing blizzard style games. do these specs all look good? i got them from hazaros list.

GIGABYTE GV-N75TOC-2GI G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400

SilverStone Precision Series PS10B Black High-strength plastic front panel, steel body ATX Mid Tower

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x LGA 1150 Intel B85 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)v

Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

thanks in advance, i just want to make sure all these components work together.

Where are you buying parts? In the US? What's your overall budget?

Parts look alright, but depending on where you're buying the parts, I think there are better alternative parts. I hear Biostar used to be good, but recently they haven't been great. I looked at Newegg user reviews for that Biostar motherboard and although it has a good overall rating of 4/5 stars, a good 20% of reviews stated that were dead on arrival.

zulfate

Where are you buying parts? In the US? What's your overall budget?

Parts look alright, but depending on where you're buying the parts, I think there are better alternative parts. I hear Biostar used to be good, but recently they haven't been great. I looked at Newegg user reviews for that Biostar motherboard and although it has a good overall rating of 4/5 stars, a good 20% of reviews stated that were dead on arrival.

yeah i was going to use newegg, the budget is $600.

I had vertical sync and triple buffering on in the control panel. Turned them off and I was getting frame rates in the hundreds during F.E.A.R.'s test, though there was some tearing. I'm really not knowledgeable about these things. Are there better implementations for vertical sync and triple buffering than Nvidia's?

Edit: I did reinstall the driver. Used a program to try and clean up everything including the integrated GPU driver. Maybe Steam's FPS counter isn't 100% accurate because the FPS tends to fluctuate around 60 FPS. Also looked into the issue the game has with Logitech stuff and did what was recommended.

Nvidia's vsync and triple buffering options shouldn't be giving you a problem. With any vsync option enabled, you should be getting 60fps, unless your GPU can't meet that.

You shouldn't have had to uninstall the integrated GPU's (assuming Intel) driver.

I haven't been following your post history in this thread, what Nvidia GPU did you buy?

If you're getting framerates in the hundreds at 1336x768 (or whatever), then you could increase your resolution.

RGM79

yeah i was going to use newegg, the budget is $600.

Are you willing to buy from other retailers or do you want to get everything from Newegg? Microcenter generally has the best prices for processors (i3 4160 just $100 for example) but only for in-store pickup.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $597.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-11 02:17 EST-0500

I think this is the best you can get. That ASRock motherboard has few but nearly all good user reviews on Newegg and Amazon. The G.Skill 2133MHz memory is cheaper and faster than what you had on the old list, but also is a very time limited deal, order now if you can. I changed the case and power supply to save a bit more money so I could bump you up to the R9 290. It is a much more powerful graphics card than the 750 Ti and will ensure that you will probably be good playing most AAA games on very high settings for the next year or two. I dropped the DVD drive because those aren't used very often anymore as digital distribution and USB drives have basically replaced their use, unless you need a DVD drive for a specific reason.

I'd have recommended a better motherboard like a Z97 model in case you want to upgrade to better processors later on, the H81 model will also accept newer processors, it just won't be able to overclock very well if at all.

NoRéN

Nvidia's vsync and triple buffering options shouldn't be giving you a problem. With any vsync option enabled, you should be getting 60fps, unless your GPU can't meet that.

You shouldn't have had to uninstall the integrated GPU's (assuming Intel) driver.

I haven't been following your post history in this thread, what Nvidia GPU did you buy?

If you're getting framerates in the hundreds at 1336x768 (or whatever), then you could increase your resolution.
I could be wrong but I swear they mentioned using intel's graphics.

Rivitur

Banned
Alright guys I haven't the slightest clue what the hell to buy. I'm looking to do some gaming. I don't have any parts picked out (I was hoping you guys could help with that as I don't know what goes well together)

Basically my budget range in $700-$850 and I just want the best performance possible with good graphics of course. (Be able to run the witcher 3 on high as that will probably be the benchmark for a little while.)
I'm looking to have this bad boy done by before the beginning of march.

I'm thanking you guys before hand.

Edit: changed the max to 850

I have the GV-N970G1 GTX 970. My monitor is a 720p Samsung LCD TV, 1360x768 is the native resolution.
NoRéN;151565141 said:
I could be wrong but I swear they mentioned using intel's graphics.
That was before but I just installed the new card the other day.

Started to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Getting 60 FPS with minor (5 frames or less) drops that seem to happen when things are loading. As well as it fluctuating between 59 - 61 most of the time.

NoRéN

Damn. Then in that case, I remember playing through F.E.A.R. With a 680 and getting ridiculous framerates. No stuttering at all.

jwhit28

So these motherboards coming with M.2 ports, is it even possible to use M.2 SSDs as boot drives over PCIe lanes in Windows?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Alright guys I haven't the slightest clue what the hell to buy. I'm looking to do some gaming. I don't have any parts picked out (I was hoping you guys could help with that as I don't know what goes well together)

Basically my budget range in $700-$800 and I just want the best performance possible with good graphics of course. (Be able to run the witcher 3 on high as that will probably be the benchmark for a little while.)

Great build with an on sale R9 290 minus an SSD or an HDD.
I have the GV-N970G1 GTX 970. My monitor is a 720p Samsung LCD TV, 1360x768 is the native resolution.

Started to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Getting 60 FPS with minor (5 frames or less) drops that seem to happen when things are loading. As well as it fluctuating between 59 - 61 most of the time.
See: The Logitech mouse issue the person above you posted about if you missed it.

RGM79

So these motherboards coming with M.2 ports, is it even possible to use M.2 SSDs as boot drives over PCIe lanes in Windows?

Yep. http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6372/samsung-xp941-512gb-m-2-pcie-ssd-review/index.html

Basically my budget range in $700-$800 and I just want the best performance possible with good graphics of course. (Be able to run the witcher 3 on high as that will probably be the benchmark for a little while.)

Great build with an on sale R9 290 minus an SSD or an HDD.

This is in line with what Hazaro recommended.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.48 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $801.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-11 03:51 EST-0500

Changed the NZXT Source 210 Elite to the Corsair 300R because of graphics card and hard drive bay space conflict. Went with the ASRock Z97 Pro4 to save a bit of money.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That's a stupid amount of PC for $800.
Can't comment on the MSI mobo yet, the GB one was picked for a ton of actually useable nice features at the price point.

RGM79

That's a stupid amount of PC for $800.
Can't comment on the MSI mobo yet, the GB one was picked for a ton of actually useable nice features at the price point.

The MSI was a placeholder. Some motherboards have been shifting around in price recently. I see the MSI Z97S SLI Plus as a decent motherboard about equal to the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, but decided to go with the ASRock in the end to keep it closer to $800.

Rivitur

Banned
Yep. http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6372/samsung-xp941-512gb-m-2-pcie-ssd-review/index.html

This is in line with what Hazaro recommended.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.48 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $801.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-11 03:51 EST-0500

Changed the NZXT Source 210 Elite to the Corsair 300R because of graphics card and hard drive bay space conflict. Went with the ASRock Z97 Pro4 to save a bit of money.
Thanks m8 :D

I'll wait a bit longer to see any recommendations.

Edit: just looked at my money I have about 1700 (need about 800 for school) so 850 would be the max probably.

Edit2: holy hell at the mail in rebates :eek:

RGM79

Thanks m8 :D

I'll wait a bit longer to see any recommendations.

Edit: just looked at my money I have about 1700 (need about 800 for school) so 850 would be the max probably.

Edit2: holy hell at the mail in rebates :eek:
Unfortunately, that's the way most discounts for PC parts are. If you like, I can redo the build for $800 before rebates, but I'll probably have to do some cost cutting.

I should include a disclaimer saying how much money has to be paid forward as mail in rebates for each build..

Rivitur

Banned
Unfortunately, that's the way most discounts for PC parts are. If you like, I can redo the build for $800 before rebates, but I'll probably have to do some cost cutting.

I should include a disclaimer saying how much money has to be paid forward as mail in rebates for each build..
Ah OK. Now I hear mail in rebates can be a pain in the rear and some people have said that they can come back months after you send them or never. Any of this true?

RGM79

Ah OK. Now I hear mail in rebates can be a pain in the rear and some people have said that they can come back months after you send them or never. Any of this true?

I don't know about rebates - I'm not in the US and the last couple of PC builds I've done didn't have any rebates, so I haven't had to deal with any of that myself. I imagine it varies according to what company is handling the rebates.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 290 4GB IceQ X² Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $795.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-11 06:33 EST-0500

Went with cheaper motherboard, RAM, case, graphics card and power supply to make it all work for $796 without rebates.

Grinchy

Banned
I've never had an issue getting a mail in rebate, but yes it can take a while sometimes. Getting a $15 check 2 months later is really weird, but I always go for them because I hate knowing that they prey on the people who don't take the time to fill out the forms.

The one for my GPU will supposedly be much faster than that, though. I still have to go and buy a single stamp somewhere.

Addnan

If any UK Gaf is selling of any old graphics card some time next week PM me. Nothing special, 7850, 7870, 7950, 280, 660, 660Ti, 750Ti, 760 etc. Just need something cheap for a bit.

riflen

I don't know about rebates - I'm not in the US and the last couple of PC builds I've done didn't have any rebates, so I haven't had to deal with any of that myself. I imagine it varies according to what company is handling the rebates.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 290 4GB IceQ X² Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $795.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-11 06:33 EST-0500

Went with cheaper motherboard, RAM, case, graphics card and power supply to make it all work for $796 without rebates.

Don't buy a single DDR memory module. You'll miss out on performance. You should pick up a matched pair of 4GB DIMMs.

riflen

Any specific recommendations? Keep the help coming m8s :D

Whatever DIMMs you can find that are low-profile and 1866Mhz or better. There's nothing to separate manufacturers really. Low-profile is preferred to avoid fouling CPU coolers or other components. Be aware that heatsinks on memory modules are entirely cosmetic.

Lum1n3s

How dangerous are those Corsair water coolers for CPU's? I'm interested in buying/upgrading to one but the thought of water in my computer case freaks me out.

How dangerous are those Corsair water coolers for CPU's? I'm interested in buying/upgrading to one but the thought of water in my computer case freaks me out.

They are sealed so assuming it didn't leak in the box you are good to go.

I've been using AiO watercoolers since they first came out and have never had a leak, one of the early ones pump motor went but it didn't leak.

As long as you don't mishandle it you shouldn't have any problems.

As long as those DXHR framerates are with vsync on, then you're okay. The hitches are normal for a lot of games, particularly ones with larger environments.

RGM79

Don't buy a single DDR memory module. You'll miss out on performance. You should pick up a matched pair of 4GB DIMMs.
At best you'll see a 5~10% difference in benchmarks that actually stress RAM performance, but in normal use such as game performance it won't matter much if at all.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel/Page-3

That said, going with 1x8GB was purely because it happened to be cheapest. For a few dollars more there's probably a kit of 2x4GB available.

Hey guys : )

I've recently purchased (second hand) an additional 780Ti to add to me existing 780Ti to do a SLI configuration.

I have a corsair AX860i with one SSD and one Mechanical drive. No other cards in my rig. I also have an H100i water cooler.

Will i have enough power from that PSU for both cards?

RGM79

I've recently purchased (second hand) an additional 780Ti to add to me existing 780Ti to do a SLI configuration.

I have a corsair AX860i with one SSD and one Mechanical drive. No other cards in my rig. I also have an H100i water cooler.

Yeah, that power supply is more than adequate. Guru3D's testing has them recommending 800 watts.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,4.html

riflen

Should be good to go. That PSU can deliver 71.6 Amps on its single 12v rail. More than enough. What CPU at what frequency, though?

They'll do nicely.

Lum1n3s

They are sealed so assuming it didn't leak in the box you are good to go.

I've been using AiO watercoolers since they first came out and have never had a leak, one of the early ones pump motor went but it didn't leak.

As long as you don't mishandle it you shouldn't have any problems.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Also, what would be some of the major differences between these two rams, the Corsair Vengeance and Corsair Dominator Platinum? I know it would obviously be the pricing but in terms of performance? Is the Dominator Platinum worth it or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom