• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Ok... so what CPU should I be getting? I'm just up grading my current PC from a Phenom II X4 955 and it really struggles with 1080p 60fps video. I also emulate.

For emulation of old games like PS2 or Wii then Intel's Haswell chips are top dog.

If you're going for an upgrade using the same mobo you'll be limited to what you can get, ie the FX range, but if you're going for a whole new build you should be looking to Intel.

espher

There's a few parts you can save money on, for example the Asus motherboard is overkill. The slightly less capable but much more cost effective Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK is available for a great price right now. The pricing you have for most of the items in your list seem to be outdated or just expensive. If you were to buy the parts in my list now, you would save over $300.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

[...]

Well, what is your current budget at the moment? Parts like the GTX 970 won't change price soon, but I'd recommend buying the power supply and motherboard as those are at good prices and discounts right now.

I'm comparing the two carts and seeing mine at CAD$1850 (some parts have dropped overnight, I guess) and yours at CAD$1808. It looks like you don't have sales tax factored into your build (mine was including sales tax, which I parked at 13% because I'm in NB).

Savings to be had on the board, I suppose, but I definitely want a WD drive over a Seagate (had some lemons on the Seagate front and it doesn't look like their reliability has improved). Is there a non-price related reason for the EVGA over the Gigabyte (the Gigabyte card is actually $360 w/ a $10 MIR atm, which is why I went for it over another vendor).

I had a budget that was targeting $1,500 taxes-in but was entertaining going up to $1,750, though that was before I added a display to the package. A similar build (but w/ a second HDD and an optical drive) was sitting in my cart around $1,700 for quite some time so when I saw the 'better' parts I wanted on the cheap I decided to seriously consider taking the plunge. And yeah, I will be trying to price match through one vendor. :)

Would an FX-8350 be worth the extra $25 over an FX-8320? The only difference I see is .5 more ghz.

If you are not overclocking then it might be worth it.

If you are overclocking then definitly no.

But still any money spent on AMD cpu is only short time saving as you will be forced to upgrade much earlier.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Sorry, can I get the complete system specs? Should have asked for that in the beginning. Temperatures are excellent, very low, so it's not overheating.

There's a better method for measuring in-game performance. MSI Afterburner comes with Rivatuner option for in-game statistics overlay. Follow this guide to see how to set it up, you'll have information like GPU usage and clock speed so maybe you can see if the GPU is being underutilized for some reason. I don't have a GTX 750 Ti myself, but I see reports that you should be able to max out the game and have a consistent framerate of 50+.. only one report of 30FPS and that was because of the strain of recording game video at the same time as gameplay.
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz 32 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (EVGA) 26 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 (SATA) 25 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

well the func are the recommended in the OP under your budget and Linus seems to like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQcx8A5treY, they are $60 in newegg. But I was going to buy them but at the end i decided for the Creative Aurvana Live! combined with the mic that cane with my sound card. If you can get a set of brand headphones for the same price of a gaming headset they are probably of better quality. You will have to add the mic.

Hmm alright thanks for the reply, I will look into both then and see if I can maybe try them at a store. Using a stand-alone mic should be okay too if the Aurvana are as good as they seem.

RGM79

I'm comparing the two carts and seeing mine at CAD$1850 (some parts have dropped overnight, I guess) and yours at CAD$1808. It looks like you don't have sales tax factored into your build (mine was including sales tax, which I parked at 13% because I'm in NB).

Savings to be had on the board, I suppose, but I definitely want a WD drive over a Seagate (had some lemons on the Seagate front and it doesn't look like their reliability has improved). Is there a non-price related reason for the EVGA over the Gigabyte (the Gigabyte card is actually $360 w/ a $10 MIR atm, which is why I went for it over another vendor).

I had a budget that was targeting $1,500 taxes-in but was entertaining going up to $1,750, though that was before I added a display to the package. A similar build (but w/ a second HDD and an optical drive) was sitting in my cart around $1,700 for quite some time so when I saw the 'better' parts I wanted on the cheap I decided to seriously consider taking the plunge. And yeah, I will be trying to price match through one vendor. :)
Oh, I see. No wonder the price gap was that wide. It's your call for the WD drive. I haven't had any misfortune with Seagate so they're always an option for me. That EVGA GTX 970 had a higher clock speed for what I thought was less than $10 dollars more, but if you can get the Gigabyte model for $360, go for it.

Otherwise, it seems that you have a solid plan in mind. I don't really have any issues with your choices, all of the changes I made were what I thought were price saving moves, except for the EVGA GTX 970.

Also, I forgot to mention, the Fractal Define R4 is a nice case (I personally have the older Define R3), but if you can fit it in your budget the new Define R5 is a nice improvement over the old R4.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I´m aware of that, but it seems that almost everyone at overclock.net have a 5820k better than mine (don´t know if most of them are stable for 24/7, probably not).

That´s my next step, after confirming that im really stable at 4.2, will try to tighten the timmings, but since this is a lower grade RAM im lucky if i can get 13-13-13 at 1.35v.

Currently testing uncore at 4.0 to see if the OC socket from asus is more than just a gimmick, since overclocking the cache beyond 3.83.9 is a no go on "normal" socket from what i gathered.
That's at 2T right? 1.35 is pretty low so I would see if you can squeeze out tighter timings at the same or slightly slower speed.

espher

Oh, I see. No wonder the price gap was that wide. It's your call for the WD drive. I haven't had any misfortune with Seagate so they're always an option for me. That EVGA GTX 970 had a higher clock speed for what I thought was less than $10 dollars more, but if you can get the Gigabyte model for $360, go for it.

Otherwise, it seems that you have a solid plan in mind. I don't really have any issues with your choices, all of the changes I made were what I thought were price saving moves, except for the EVGA GTX 970.

Also, I forgot to mention, the Fractal Define R4 is a nice case (I personally have the older Define R3), but if you can fit it in your budget the new Define R5 is a nice improvement over the old R4.

I'll probably scale the motherboard back and opt for the R5, then. Maybe see what else I could get out of that $100... Thanks for the advice. :)

Hey uk/euro PC GAF, I'm trying to build a PC on a budget for a mate. I've got a case/ram/powersupply left over from my own builds so I can just give him them. What would be the best CPU and graphics card available now for about €150 each? I'll sort out the motherboard once I know what processor I'm getting.

Kayant

Hey uk/euro PC GAF, I'm trying to build a PC on a budget for a mate. I've got a case/ram/powersupply left over from my own builds so I can just give him them. What would be the best CPU and graphics card available now for about €150 each? I'll sort out the motherboard once I know what processor I'm getting.

UK price wise

CPU
i5 4460 - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54460
I5 4670k - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54670k

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
IT.. it is ...... Beautiful !

20141227_13515503lyj.jpg

I bought two of those earlier this year. I absolutely love them.

kharma45

im looking to build me a gaming PC, been needing one for a while given my Steam library size and i wanna Play Titanfall. i have this build my friend made for me but i fear its out of date.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PitRiseHarry/saved/rrTnTW

im not much for visuals but i do value performance, can someone point out some improvements that can stay around the $700 price range?

For around $700 you'd be looking at this at present

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($212.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $704.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-27 09:41 EST-0500

GPU wise it's either a 760 or an R9 280. The 280 will give you 1GB VRAM more as well as a bit more grunt, but you'll lose out on the nice features Nvidia offers.

What country are you buying in?

Was going to suggest Dabs.ie in that case but their prices, at least for the i5 4690K, are bloody horrendous.

I second the 4670K, good value at £152.

Yeah, I'll grab that. I'll probably go with an R9 280 for the graphics as well. Amazon (or an amazon seller, not sure) had it lowered to £120 just before christmas which is a crazy price. So hopefully they drop it again soon enough.

Hello all I have a question. I plan on purchasing a gaming/video editing PC very soon. I was wondering would it be possible to use a Chromebook in tandem with it and stream from desktop to it? Like video editing or on my desktop at home while using my Chromebook from the office or in the basement at home?

Also if not a Chromebook what about something like the HP Stream?

Repeating my question.

Kayant

Was going to suggest Dabs.ie in that case but their prices, at least for the i5 4690K, are bloody horrendous.

I second the 4670K, good value at £152.

Yh tempted me with my build but went with the i5 4690k because of theintel cashback deal. Something you could look at also snoopeasystreet.

Just remember this -
A full and valid claim must be submitted no sooner than thirty (30) days and no later than sixty (60) days commencing in each case from the date of purchase indicated on the receipt or invoice. The date of purchase indicated on the proof of purchase is day one (1). If claims are submitted before or after this claim window they will be deemed invalid.

scurker

I've been looking into doing a partial upgrade of my computer during the past few weeks, and here's what I currently have:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 Callisto 3.3GHz (unlocked all 4 cores, OC'd to 3.7GHz)
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: Samsung Evo 840 500GB & WD Black 1TB Sata 7200

I originally built this PC over 4 years ago, and have done some minor upgrades over the years but some things are starting to show their age. I'd love to stay cheap and continue to use AMD, but it would appear their processors over the past two years lag behind Intel and I didn't see anything too impressive in their APUs.

I feel like my ram, hard drives and cooling are sufficient enough to upgrade but would definitely like a bump in the CPU/GPU department. I've looked at i3s, and while cheaper I think I'd definitely like something that would last me another 4-5 years so I feel at minimum an i5 is necessary. I'm currently torn on the GPU. I'd love to get a 970, but I don't feel like I can justify the cost. I tend to do most of my big budget gaming on PS4 so I'm not exactly looking for a graphical powerhouse. I would probably be satisfied with a decent mid-range nvidia card.

Here's what I'm currently looking at updating (minus the GPU):

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $389.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-27 10:24 EST-0500

Are there any other alternate suggestions + GPU suggestions? I'd like to stay around or under $500 if possible.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is a core i7 920 from 2008 holding me back in any meaningful way?

Just upgraded to a gtx 970 and I am unsure if I need bother even thinking of spending a few hundred more on a mobo, CPU, case, and possibly compatible ram. Outside of the vid card and my ssd drive, my pc is stuck in 2008, yet I am so unclear if a first gen i7 is that much worse than the current breed.

kharma45

I've been looking into doing a partial upgrade of my computer during the past few weeks, and here's what I currently have:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 Callisto 3.3GHz (unlocked all 4 cores, OC'd to 3.7GHz)
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: Samsung Evo 840 500GB & WD Black 1TB Sata 7200

I originally built this PC over 4 years ago, and have done some minor upgrades over the years but some things are starting to show their age. I'd love to stay cheap and continue to use AMD, but it would appear their processors over the past two years lag behind Intel and I didn't see anything too impressive in their APUs.

I feel like my ram, hard drives and cooling are sufficient enough to upgrade but would definitely like a bump in the CPU/GPU department. I've looked at i3s, and while cheaper I think I'd definitely like something that would last me another 4-5 years so I feel at minimum an i5 is necessary. I'm currently torn on the GPU. I'd love to get a 970, but I don't feel like I can justify the cost. I tend to do most of my big budget gaming on PS4 so I'm not exactly looking for a graphical powerhouse. I would probably be satisfied with a decent mid-range nvidia card.

Here's what I'm currently looking at updating (minus the GPU):

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $389.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-27 10:24 EST-0500

Are there any other alternate suggestions + GPU suggestions? I'd like to stay around or under $500 if possible.

Before the GPU I'd look at

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $389.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-27 10:57 EST-0500

You're going to struggle to get a better GPU for $110.

$150 gets you an R9 280, $160 at a GTX 760 and $190 an R9 285.

Is a core i7 920 from 2008 holding me back in any meaningful way?

Just upgraded to a gtx 970 and I am unsure if I need bother even thinking of spending a few hundred more on a mobo, CPU, case, and possibly compatible ram.

If it's not overclocked, then yes it will a bit. If you do OC it then it'll last you until Skylake. Think about upgrading then.

A Hyper 212 is around $25-30 and should get you close to 4GHz with that CPU.

scurker

Before the GPU I'd look at

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $389.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-27 10:57 EST-0500

You're going to struggle to get a better GPU for $110.

$150 gets you an R9 280, $160 at a GTX 760 and $190 an R9 285.

Uh, that's the exact cooler I already have. And Newegg currently has a 10% off corsair power supplies making the one I had listed $52 after rebate. I'm fine getting the cheaper power supply, but I wonder is there a $12 difference?

And I realize $500 is going to be difficult with those parts, so let's say $200 for a GPU what are my best options?

biteren

For around $700 you'd be looking at this at present

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $704.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-27 09:41 EST-0500

GPU wise it's either a 760 or an R9 280. The 280 will give you 1GB VRAM more as well as a bit more grunt, but you'll lose out on the nice features Nvidia offers.

you think that could run Titanfall pretty good?

kharma45

Uh, that's the exact cooler I already have. And Newegg currently has a 10% off corsair power supplies making the one I had listed $52 after rebate. I'm fine getting the cheaper power supply, but I wonder is there a $12 difference?

And I realize $500 is going to be difficult with those parts, so let's say $200 for a GPU what are my best options?

Sorry my mistake, missed out that you already had a cooler in your build.

Still wouldn't but that Corsair unit. Too many DOA CX units. I'd either get the EVGA or this Seasonic at $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If you want a really, really, really good PSU then EVGA G2 750w Gold Modular $94.99 - $25MiR - $15MasterPass Promo $54.99 plus $6.67S/H ($61.66 Shipped) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

Seems that Masterpass thing works across various Newegg products, means you can get the 280X for $185 or the 280 for $135 . So anything on Newegg you can knock $15 off.

For $200 on the GPU I'd look at the GTX 760, R9 280, R9 285 and R9 280X.

ok then, ill go with this build!!

The only thing worth maybe considering changing is the GPU. With the Masterpass promo a 280 is $135 and a 280X is $185 for instance. Or it could take the money off the 760 and bring it down to $155.

scurker

Sorry my mistake, missed out that you already had a cooler in your build.

Still wouldn't but that Corsair unit. Too many DOA CX units. I'd either get the EVGA or this Seasonic at $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If you want a really, really, really good PSU then EVGA G2 750w Gold Modular $94.99 - $25MiR - $15MasterPass Promo $54.99 plus $6.67S/H ($61.66 Shipped) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

Seems that Masterpass thing works across various Newegg products, means you can get the 280X for $185 or the 280 for $135 . So anything on Newegg you can knock $15 off.

For $200 on the GPU I'd look at the GTX 760, R9 280, R9 285 and R9 280X.

Yeah, I actually just came across the EVGA/Masterpass deal before looking at this post. That looks like a better option.

If you can tell us the power supply model and it turns out to have sufficient wattage and amperage on the 12V rails, LilJoka and Aztechnology are right, molex adaptors could work and that would be the cheapest solution. Otherwise, I can recommend some new power supplies to fit your budget. A single R9 280X will run on a PSU rated for 550-600 watts and 30-35 amps on the 12V rail. You'll need to look at better power supplies if you ever want to go with twin graphics cards or intend to reuse this power supply in the future.

EVGA 600B for $20 after rebate at NCIXUS (cheap yet decent) | review
Corsair CX750 for $72 at Amazon | review (translation and poor formatting, to keep it short it was very good and scored 8.3/10)
Seasonic SSR-650RM for $85 at Amazon (high end gold rated semi-modular) | review
XFX Core Edition Pro 850W for $108 at Amazon (high capacity but bronze rated and non-modular) | review

An OCZ Stealth Steam 2 600w psu

http://www.kitguru.net/components/p...z-stealthxstream-2-600-w-power-supply-review/

It's years old, so I got a feeling adapters may not be available for this thing. Thanks for tropes and sorry for the obscenities.

The Llama

I would like to build another AMD FM2 computer. Is there a cheaper place I can buy the parts than Newegg?

Use http://pcpartpicker.com/ to find the cheapest prices for things.

Any reason you're looking at the FM2 socket? I think it's pretty much dead, but I'm not that good with AMD CPU's.

Thanks !

Anything else i should note about ?

Currently have the monitor connected with a DVI-D cable which i assume causes certain options in the settings to be disabled .

This should work with your monitor: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/
Basically allows you to tweak the blur reduction mode.
Are you using a dual link cable? Its letting you run at 144Hz right? That's all you need.

Paznos

My 2405FPW 24" monitor just died, turned on my PC this morning and the monitor didn't turn on, I figured this was coming since it has been taking a long time to come out of standby mode for a while now.

Now I need a replacement I want something good but probably under $250, any suggestions?

Thorgal

Use http://pcpartpicker.com/ to find the cheapest prices for things.

Any reason you're looking at the FM2 socket? I think it's pretty much dead, but I'm not that good with AMD CPU's.

This should work with your monitor: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/
Basically allows you to tweak the blur reduction mode.
Are you using a dual link cable? Its letting you run at 144Hz right? That's all you need.

will look into that .

And yes i am using the Dual link cable provided with the screen and it runs at 144 hz and it feels glorious .

roddur

Bought the following yesterday

i5-4690k
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB

want to buy a ssd, target 120/128gb. budget is around $80 cad. is there anything good i can get within that budget? reading reviews of customers having failed ssds have me worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom