• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

NoRéN;146766662 said:
Thank you!

Now, since my gpu needs a 6 pin and 8 pin cable, do I need a separete extender for each(1one 6 pin and one 8 pin cable) or can I get two of these?

Two of those 8 pin extensions will work just fine. The 6 pin plug will fit in the 8 pin port.

daninthemix

Just installed my nice new Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. Migration was completely seamless and took around an hour to clone 300GB of data.

For anyone who knows, I had setup a weekly backup as I know SSDs can occasionally die without warning (previously my two mechanical HDDs were mirrored). But doesn't backup generate large writes on the SSD during the shadow copy process? Therefore for the sake of longevity I was thinking of just scheduling monthly backups instead? What do you think?

RGM79

Just installed my nice new Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. Migration was completely seamless and took around an hour to clone 300GB of data.

For anyone who knows, I had setup a weekly backup as I know SSDs can occasionally die without warning (previously my two mechanical HDDs were mirrored). But doesn't backup generate large writes on the SSD during the shadow copy process? Therefore for the sake of longevity I was thinking of just scheduling monthly backups instead? What do you think?

I'm not clear on Windows' shadow copying, but why would it write to the SSD? Can't you have it write to a different storage drive instead?

Along with the monitor question...

I have a 650W OCZ PSU with 54a on a single 12V rail, is that good enough for an 290 alongside a 2500K @ 4.5GHz?

Edit: It's the OCZ-ZT650W.

Poor photo but this is what they're like in action, the LED's are 'love 'em or loathe 'em' for most:

..and they're not really that bright BTW, I have a white bit fenix LED strip light running along the bottom of my case, in real life they're alot more subtle.

6xlb.jpg

I fall in the 'I love them' camp from looking at that :)

Thanks for the photo.

Holden

hey pcgaf

thinking about getting an ssd

i see that the OP recommends a Crucial MX100

i can find Crucial M550 for the same price

recommendation? both (256gb)

I can recommend the following. All are excellent units that are a bit cheaper than the Super Flower Leadex Gold 650 watt PSU you were looking at.

Non-modular:
Antec TruePower Classic 650 watts gold rated non-modular for £60 - This is manufactured by Seasonic, which is an excellent brand right up there with Super Flower. See below for review.
Antec TruePower Classic 750 watts gold rated non-modular for £73 - Same as above, just at 750 watts. Jonny Guru reviewed it very favorably.

Modular:
Corsair CS650M 650 watt gold rated semi-modular for £70 - A bit more expensive for semi-modular cabling, but it's a very good unit. PCPer reviewed it well, saying the only drawback was the 3 year warranty.
EVGA Supernova G2 750 watt gold rated fully modular for £83 - A little bit out of your price range, but if you want high quality gold efficiency and fully modular cabling, this is the one to get. Johnny Guru gave it one of the highest possible scores he's ever given for power supply reviews.

This is brilliant RGM79, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks once again, I'm going through this all now!

EVGA Supernova G2 750 watt gold rated fully modular for £83 - A little bit out of your price range, but if you want high quality gold efficiency and fully modular cabling, this is the one to get. Johnny Guru gave it one of the highest possible scores he's ever given for power supply reviews.

Just for the record EVGA PSU's are actually made by Superflower, so think of the EVGA as an option for people who don't want the LED's and a longer warranty, but TBH who actually needs a 10yr warranty?

Either choice will get you a top tier PSU.

Just for the record EVGA PSU's are actually made by Superflower, so think of the EVGA as an option for people who don't want the LED's and a longer warranty, but TBH who actually needs a 10yr warranty?

Yeah, I can't see 'only' a 3-year warranty as a real negative point.

But in terms of form factor, are non-modular PSUs really a compromise?

RGM79

Yeah, I can't see 'only' a 3-year warranty as a real negative point.

But in terms of form factor, are non-modular PSUs really a compromise?
A three year warranty is only bad if you intend to go a long time before replacing power supplies, or if you intend to reuse power supplies. I'm sitting on a Seasonic 650 watt model that's been going strong for 5.5 years. A good quality power supply will last that long just fine, and even longer. Asking for a 5 year warranty minimum on a higher end power supply shouldn't be asking too much. A three year warranty is pretty standard, sort of the minimum for power supplies.

As for modularity, it depends on what you personally want. Modular power supplies are generally better for cramped cases and airflow - only plug in the cables you need, the rest don't need to be there at all.

Non-modular power supplies aren't that bad. They're generally less expensive than modular counterparts, and if your case has the space, then with some cable management you can hide everything behind the motherboard tray or in an empty hard drive bay or two.

A three year warranty is only bad if you intend to go a long time before replacing power supplies, or if you intend to reuse power supplies. I'm sitting on a Seasonic 650 watt model that's been going strong for 5.5 years. A good quality power supply will last that long just fine, and even longer. Asking for a 5 year warranty minimum on a higher end power supply shouldn't be asking too much. A three year warranty is pretty standard, sort of the minimum for power supplies.

As for modularity, it depends on what you personally want. Modular power supplies are generally better for cramped cases and airflow - only plug in the cables you need, the rest don't need to be there at all.

Non-modular power supplies aren't that bad. They're generally less expensive than modular counterparts, and if your case has the space, then with some cable management you can hide everything behind the motherboard tray or in an empty hard drive bay or two.

Thanks, reassuring to hear you're rocking a 650W PSU too, as that is what I'm likely going for.

Yeah, from reading around, the small advantages of modularity is the extra space inside your case, which will lead to slightly better temperatures in turn, as well as general tidiness. Anyway I'll be deciding on what one I go for soon.

Don Julio

Will be getting one this summer but already have my parts in mind!

CPU: i7 4790K 4C/8T @4.0
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H
RAM : 1.35V / 1.5V 2x8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
Storage: 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX
PSU: CoolerMaster V750
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Heatsink: CM Hyper 212 EVO
Soundcard: Creative SB Z

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Won't be able to get my new video cards until next month and my Birthday, but Microcenter has a nice bundle deal going that I am going to grab today. Start my build at least.

i5-4690k + Gigabyte GA-Z97x Gaming 7 for $329.98

Well my Corsair HX750 has 4 years and there's zero point changing it. So if you get something like G2 750W you are looking at part with easily 7-8 years of usefull life maybe more.

blacklotus

Computer Gaf, after 8 years im upgrading my PC. Since then i started working on vídeo game retail so i have almost none know how on what to choose.

Ill have an 800€ budget and ill be getting:
Mobo
Cpu
Graphics
8gb ram (to be upgraded to 16 after a couple of months, only going for 8 now so more budget goes to other stuff)
Power supply

Ill be sticking with my keyboard and mouse, audigy2 zs a pro, monitor, case, 2 500gb hds.
Will buy an ssd couple of months later.

The computer is for gaming.
Have no brand loyalties.

What do you guys reckon?
Thanks!

Ryne

Got my Phanteks cooler today, installing this thing is daunting. It's also massive.

Installed the cooler, it was definitely new to me. It looks like the Phanteks emblem thing was broken during shipment (it's completely separate from the cooler and I can't put it back on), also the clips for the fans that attached it to the heatsink were installed the wrong way. Maybe I should return it.

Temps are currently around 30c idle

Edit: I am returning the Phantek, the cooler is broken. Too bad, it actually seemed to work. Hopefully a replacement will not be broken.

fushi

Quick question regarding Windows 8: Will I have to make some sort of online account to use certain features? I have some vague memories of that when I used the trial version.

robotrock

Banned
I have an i5-750 clocked at 2.66ghz and a GTX 680. Is it worth upgrading the CPU and motherboard or the GPU? I assumed at one point that my i5 might be bottlenecking my 680, but I have no idea how any of this works.

RGM79

Thanks, reassuring to hear you're rocking a 650W PSU too, as that is what I'm likely going for.

Yeah, from reading around, the small advantages of modularity is the extra space inside your case, which will lead to slightly better temperatures in turn, as well as general tidiness. Anyway I'll be deciding on what one I go for soon.

Well, aim for what you need. If you ever want to do crossfire or SLI, make sure to get enough wattage. I'm running two R9 270X cards in crossfire (impulse bought a second R9 270X which was super cheap) and my power supply just happened to just be barely enough to run my whole system, as I'm also running my i7 875K at 4.0GHz.

Will be getting one this summer but already have my parts in mind!

CPU: i7 4790K 4C/8T @4.0
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H
RAM : 1.35V / 1.5V 2x8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
Storage: 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX
PSU: CoolerMaster V750
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Heatsink: CM Hyper 212 EVO
Soundcard: Creative SB Z

You may want to reconsider that come summer 2015. Broadwell K which will replace the current Haswell chips will be arriving in the middle of 2015, sooner or later (probably later). If it's anything like Haswell Refresh, these new processors will be released at the same price as the old ones they're replacing with a slight performance increase, and maybe with better overclocking potential (but that remains to be seen).

In any case, your parts list looks generally OK. In the future, consider the MX200 SSDs. Do you really need a sound card? Motherboard audio has enough features for most users unless you have a set of high end speakers/headphones you want to pair the sound card with, or you're doing audio production work and need it for recording.

Other than that, I'd wait to see what parts are available at what prices, we'll be there to help you when the time comes to buy.

Won't be able to get my new video cards until next month and my Birthday, but Microcenter has a nice bundle deal going that I am going to grab today. Start my build at least.

i5-4690k + Gigabyte GA-Z97x Gaming 7 for $329.98

Looks good to me. Even if you were paying full regular price for that CPU, the motherboard would be only $110, which is a great price.

Computer Gaf, after 8 years im upgrading my PC. Since then i started working on vídeo game retail so i have almost none know how on what to choose.

Ill have an 800€ budget and ill be getting:
Mobo
Cpu
Graphics
8gb ram (to be upgraded to 16 after a couple of months, only going for 8 now so more budget goes to other stuff)
Power supply

Ill be sticking with my keyboard and mouse, audigy2 zs a pro, monitor, case, 2 500gb hds.
Will buy an ssd couple of months later.

The computer is for gaming.
Have no brand loyalties.

What do you guys reckon?
Thanks!

What country are you buying parts in, and what retailers are you looking at? PCPartPicker has some prices for Italy, Germany, and Spain.

RGM79

Hi guys, i just built my first pc: http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/NNtPhM

Everything is looking good so far, but since i'm not very experienced, what kind of tests do i need to run?
If you haven't overclocked anything, it should all be stable out of the box, so tests aren't really needed.

If you want to measure performance, there's 3DMark Fire Strike, Furmark, Unigine Heaven.

Quick question regarding Windows 8: Will I have to make some sort of online account to use certain features? I have some vague memories of that when I used the trial version.

Yeah, pretty much. If you don't need those features then an offline account is fine. Here's an article that goes more into detail.

I have an i5-750 clocked at 2.66ghz and a GTX 680. Is it worth upgrading the CPU and motherboard or the GPU? I assumed at one point that my i5 might be bottlenecking my 680, but I have no idea how any of this works.

Honestly, CPU/GPU bottlenecking depends on what games you play. If you feel that you should be getting higher framerate but the CPU is holding you back, then I'd recommend overclocking your i5 750. Are you using the small CPU cooler that was bundled with the CPU or do you have something else?

robotrock

Banned
Honestly, CPU/GPU bottlenecking depends on what games you play. If you feel that you should be getting higher framerate but the CPU is holding you back, then I'd recommend overclocking your i5 750. Are you using the small CPU cooler that was bundled with the CPU or do you have something else?

Small CPU cooler that came with it. I had it overclocked at 3.2ghz at one point but got scared about overheating. I suppose I could buy a new heatsink.

RGM79

Small CPU cooler that came with it. I had it overclocked at 3.2ghz at one point but got scared about overheating. I suppose I could buy a new heatsink.

Well, a slight overclock like that probably won't be too hot, but you won't see as many gains. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (<$30) comes well recommended and will let you overclock to about 4GHz. When overclocked that far, it should be able to compare favorably to the i5 2500K at some level, which is still a very good processor. On other other hand, a CPU upgrade means spending around $300 USD, while a GPU upgrade won't matter if your CPU is holding back the GPU.

What games are you hoping to see better performance in?

robotrock

Banned
Well, a slight overclock like that probably won't be too hot, but you won't see as many gains. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (<$30) comes well recommended and will let you overclock to about 4GHz. When overclocked that far, it should be able to compare favorably to the i5 2500K at some level, which is still a very good processor. On other other hand, a CPU upgrade means spending around $300 USD, while a GPU upgrade won't matter if your CPU is holding back the GPU.

What games are you hoping to see better performance in?

Trying to prepare for The Witcher 3. My 680 should be fine for the recommended specs (GTX 770), but yeah, mainly worried about my i5-750. Witcher 3's minimum spec is an i5-2500K at 3.3GHz.

Is there a reason you're buying in the US and having it shipped to Canada? If you can tell us how much shipping will be, we could do some cost comparisons. Here's my version of your build, money was saved with no performance drop, and you get 16GB RAM as well as a power supply that will handle SLI in the future.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($196.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($348.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Nvidia Edition: Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1363.89 USD
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 14:40 EST-0500

Here's a build priced in Canada for comparison. Roughly the same performance, just had to cut back a bit to save some money with some more cost-effective choices.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($367.95 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($157.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial M550 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($409.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($84.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1505.53 CAD
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 14:54 EST-0500

Going by the current exchange rate, $1364USD is about $1618 CAD. If you don't mind assembling it yourself (or pricematching everything through NCIX and having NCIX assemble it for you for $50 including warranty), it may be worth the savings.

That wireless adaptor should work fine, I see no reason for it not to. Patriot Viper 3 RAM is fine as well. Patriot is an alright brand by me, and Viper 3 RAM has lifetime warranty.

Just wanted to chime in since I last posted and thank you guys for your input on my build strategy. I used my friends info as well as the suggestions from my earlier post to work with a local shop on the following build. Hope it meets with mostly approval here (fingers crossed) lol.

This is the case that I've selected as I want to place it inside my fairly spacious entertainment cabinet along with my consoles.

1-1280x1024.jpg

2-1280x1024.jpg

And here's a copy of the pdf list for my purchased components. Should be able to pick this up sometime early next week.

imagejpg1_zps2831759c.jpg

Canadian prices btw. Any thoughts? Thanks again to this thread - you guys rock!

robotrock

Banned
I do indeed. Even getting to to 3.6 will be good enough. When I has a 750 mine couldn't quite do 4 so I settled for 3.8. How far you can overclock varies from chip to chip.

I'm using the standard heatsink that came with it. Getting it to 3.6 won't fry it or anything right?

Addnan

The minimum Intel might show 2500K, but there is also a Phenom II X4 940 next to it and the 2500K is so much better... and I'm pretty sure the older i5s beat it quite handily too. So don't start upgrading before the game is out.

RGM79

Just wanted to chime in since I last posted and thank you guys for your input on my build strategy. I used my friends info as well as the suggestions from my earlier post to work with a local shop on the following build. Hope it meets with mostly approval here (fingers crossed) lol.

This is the case that I've selected as I want to place it inside my fairly spacious entertainment cabinet along with my consoles.

And here's a copy of the pdf list for my purchased components. Should be able to pick this up sometime early next week.

imagejpg1_zps2831759c.jpg

Canadian prices btw. Any thoughts? Thanks again to this thread - you guys rock!

Memory Express is a nice place. Unfortunately, I think you could have saved some money had you pricematched the parts. Memory Express offers pricematching with an addition 10% of the difference discounted. I see potential savings of about $300. Also, that H97 motherboard may not allow for a very high overclock, and if you weren't interested in overclocking, there are even cheaper processors.

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($157.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($228.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.05 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Keyboard: Logitech G13 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($57.26 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1533.95 CAD
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-10 15:23 EST-0500

Windows 7/8.1 can be had from Reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 or less.

Memory Express is a nice place. Unfortunately, I think you could have saved some money had you pricematched the parts. I see potential savings of around $350. Also, that H97 motherboard may not allow for a very high overclock.

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($228.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.05 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Keyboard: Logitech G13 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($57.26 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1533.95 CAD
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-10 15:23 EST-0500

Windows 7/8.1 can be had from Reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 or less.

Yeah, I considered doing some price matching before moving ahead but my impatience usually requires a bit of a premium in these situations. As far as over clocking, I discussed this with the builder and we came to the consensus that this wasn't something that I should be too concerned about as I'm going to be running this at a maximum resolution of 1080p on my TV. If or when I decide to upgrade my display choice is when I'll look at making some adjustments to really push things.

All in all, I think it's a solid set-up - hope most experts (including yourself) would agree. I've really tried to be a smart, informed (albeit a little hasty) consumer with this little venture lol. I'll definitely use your info above to discuss some possible price adjusting when I pick it up though - thanks. Memory Express have pretty good customer service.

RGM79

Yeah, I considered doing some price matching before moving ahead but my impatience usually requires a bit of a premium in these situations. As far as over clocking, I discussed this with the builder and we came to the consensus that this wasn't something that I should be too concerned about as I'm going to be running this at a maximum resolution of 1080p on my TV. If or when I decide to upgrade my display choice is when I'll look at making some adjustments to really push things.

All in all, I think it's a solid set-up - hope most experts (including yourself) would agree. I've really tried to be a smart, informed (albeit a little hasty) consumer with this little venture lol.

Oh yeah, it's definitely a very solid PC, for gaming or multimedia. I'm just usually the guy who tries to push for as much cost savings as possible.

fushi

What's the issue of using a Microsoft account?
I just don't like being forced into such things. I can sort of accept it for Google and android since syncing my contacts makes sense, but in this case I just don't want it. Especially if the option to not have one is hidden so deceptively.

blacklotus

What country are you buying parts in, and what retailers are you looking at? PCPartPicker has some prices for Italy, Germany, and Spain.

Portugal.
But prices can be rough, my budget is flexible. (not way flexible, but flexible).
Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom