• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBryBry

NoRéN;147929444 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1839062/long-msi-motherboard-rma.html

It's Saturday now and Monday is a holiday. Tuesday is the earliest you will probably get an update.

Thank you sir.

You used the software instead of using the BIOS itself didn't you?

I followed instructions on putting the update on a USB drive. Then went into BIOS and followed instructions on flashing it with said USB. My screen said the update was successful. The computer restarted, and it never posted again. I tried troubleshooting it for hours, and nothing worked. So some guys at linustechtips.com said that I'd gone through everything and this was all I could really do. Hence, my lack of an ability to start Shadow of Mordor. :(

Thank you sir.

I followed instructions on putting the update on a USB drive. Then went into BIOS and followed instructions on flashing it with said USB. My screen said the update was successful. The computer restarted, and it never posted again. I tried troubleshooting it for hours, and nothing worked. So some guys at linustechtips.com said that I'd gone through everything and this was all I could really do. Hence, my lack of an ability to start Shadow of Mordor. :(

That's odd. I know there are problems with the software MSI includes for their motherboards to upgrade the BIOS.

RGM79

So I have a weird question. I feel like grabbing an average gaming pc but everything in my price range comes with a shitty GT720. Does anyone have a recommendation for a pre-built machine that I could just simply swap out the vid card and be good to go? I don't feel like going through the hassle of building a machine again. Basically, all I want is a desktop with an i5, minimum 8 gigs of ram, and for it to be around ~$500. Then I'd just grab a card to bring it to about $700 total. Or if anyone knows of a ~$700 prebuilt machine that doesn't come with a shit video card.. by all means.

Any suggestions or ideas? I guess the only issue would be making sure the mobo can handle the video card pci x16..and maybe the psu..

Where are you buying the parts? Last time someone asked around for a prebuilt gaming PC for $500, there were OK but non-overclockable i5 desktops at Microcenter.

Example:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/439376/Aspire_ATC-605-UR2G_Desktop_Computer - adding 4 to 8GB RAM yourself is an option and will come to around $500.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/440570/ProDesk_400_G1_Desktop_Computer - pretty much what you need for $500.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/442107/B724_Desktop_Computer - more expensive and still doesn't come with a graphics card, but is overclockable

Word of warning, many prebuilt computers come with low end power supplies that only support what the computer comes with, you'll also need to budget for a power supply upgrade and make sure the graphics cards you want to buy will fit the case.

A better solution might be to buy from NCIXUS, pick the parts you want (pricematch them if you can for a better deal), and add them to shopping cart along with this $60 assembly option and they will build it for you and include a one year warranty as well as the warranty on each individual part.

Any small CPU cooler suggestions? I want to do some mild overclocking on my i5 2500k to mitigate any bottlenecking on the 970 I'm getting, but my case is quite small (this guy: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=182) and there's only about 3 or so inches between the CPU and the psu underside.

Slim coolers will limit potential overclocking. Your case also doesn't support 120mm fan mounts for compact water coolers.. Noctua makes slim coolers like the NH-L12 and Zalman like DrForester recommend makes decent compact coolers, I hear.. CNPS8900 or something like that. Frostytech has compiled a lot of reviews over the years, and they have a list of best performing low profile CPU coolers categorized by height.

belmonkey

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much you can do. Nobody makes low profile or right angle GPU power connector adaptors, and I'm pretty sure a GTX 750 would be faster than the 5830.

Unless you can change graphics cards, you'll need to change the case.

If you don't have the money and don't want to get a different graphics card or case... a more radical, improvised solution would be to use a PCI-E riser extension cable so you don't have to slot the 5830 into the motherboard directly. But if you do go with that, then comes the question of where exactly you should put the graphics card so it's safe, and has to be close enough to connect to power supply GPU power cables.

I decided to go with what I originally wanted before ending up with a new PSU: buying a single slot GTX 750 ti that would fit even if it did need a 6-pin or two.

Tabasco

I've been thinking of buying a brand new pair of RAM sticks in hopes of fixing the issues with my PC.

With BSODs from the past several months, I've gotten these using Windows 8.1:

pfn list corrupt (5 times)
system service exception
irql not less or equal
memory management (3 times)
page fault in nonpaged area (4 times)
kernal stack inpage error
system service exception (fltmgr.sys)
kernal security check failure
system thread exception not handled (dxgmmsl.sys)

Also, there's that issue of Firefox being unstable. It will just randomly crash while I'm using it.

If anyone can do the hard work for me in finding out the culprit of the issues, then I would appreciate that. I'm saying it's the RAM as a guess.

I've been thinking of buying a brand new pair of RAM sticks in hopes of fixing the issues with my PC.

system service exception
irql not less or equal

Also, there's that issue of Firefox being unstable. It will just randomly crash while I'm using it.

If anyone can do the hard work for me in finding out the culprit of the issues, then I would appreciate that. I'm saying it's the RAM as a guess.

Try running memtest if you haven't already.

I've only used their large coolers, but one brand that impressed me was Zalman, and I know they make some slim CPU coolers. I'd look into those.

Slim coolers will limit potential overclocking. Your case also doesn't support 120mm fan mounts for compact water coolers.. Noctua makes slim coolers like the NH-L12 and Zalman like DrForester recommend makes decent compact coolers, I hear.. CNPS8900 or something like that. Frostytech has compiled a lot of reviews over the years, and they have a list of best performing low profile CPU coolers categorized by height.

Thanks!

Xiraiya

You didn't mention what you were going to use the computer for. If it's just games, then the i5 4690K will give you the same performance as the more expensive i7 4790K in terms of framerate, as they are very similar processors. The only real difference between the two is the i7's hyperthreading feature, which games don't take advantage of.

Well, given that you won't be running multiple graphics cards or anything like that, you can get away with spending less than $150 AUD on a motherboard. I recommend the following:

Asus Z97-K for $139 - Realtek LAN and ALC887 audio, 6 x SATA, 1 x M.2, 4 x USB 3.0 at rear
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 for $139 - Realtek LAN and ALC887 audio, 6 x SATA, 4 x USB 3.0 at rear
ASRock Z97 Pro4 for $145 - Intel LAN, Realtek ALC892 audio, 6 x SATA, 1 x M.2 and SATA Express, 4 x USB 3.0 at rear
MSI Z97 PC MATE for $149 - Realtek LAN and ALC887 audio, 6 x SATA, 4 x USB 3.0 at rear

All of them will do just fine, so it could come down to personal preference for one of these four brands, if you have any. I'd go for the ASRock motherboard as it has better LAN and support for future-leaning technology like M.2 and SATA Express which is nice to have the option for.

Are you sure you need a DVD drive? With everything coming via digital delivery nowadays, I haven't touched my DVD drive in over two years.

As for the case, how about the NZXT H230 for $88? It's cheaper than the NZXT Phantom 630 which is $184
I appreciate that, and yeah sadly I do need a DVD drive, I still have a bunch of stuff that I have the DVDs for and so even if it's not used very frequently, it's used for pretty damn necessary reasons, the one I have is in great condition, didn't want to throw it away.

system service exception
irql not less or equal

For starters, what are your mobo and memory brand?

Asus P8Z77-V LK and Team Elite, specifically these sticks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313086

They're not red but gray. I don't know why it shows red on there, but I pulled that up from my order history.

I had some symilar symptoms (irql not less or equal, page fault in nonpaged area) that ended up beeing mobo not liking my mem sticks even though they were suposed to be perfectly compatible (msi mobo with gskill ram), so unless someone with better knowledge gives you a proper answer, might want to follow your intuition and try some other mem sticks in there, especialy if you can get a refund on them in case it doesn't work.

Dambrosi

Banned
Hi there PCUpgrade-GAF, I'm looking towards buying this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DWTJWAU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1CGY6MZ47PAVR&coliid=I24YAS0VMRFHVN&psc=1 (a Zoostorm prebuilt with an i5-4670K@3.40GHz, 16GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, NVidia GTX760 & Windows 8) and one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KFAGCWK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1CGY6MZ47PAVR&coliid=I258UM8M6URMJ9&psc=1 (an MX-100 256GB SSD). I'm currently slumming it with a Phenom II x4 940 (stock speeds), 8GB DDR2, an on-its-last-legs C: drive and a nice MSI GTX 750 Ti Twin Frozr.

My questions: Is the machine I'm looking at a good enough upgrade for the money they're currently asking? And can anyone here vouch for Zoostorm? They're a relatively local firm to me (based in Warrington, UK), and they seem well reviewed for their other items, but this particular one has no reviews, which makes me leery. Whaddaya say, GAF? Bear in mind I'm in the UK here, and PC shit is usually expensive here. Thanks in advance.

RGM79

Hi there PCUpgrade-GAF, I'm looking towards buying this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DWTJWAU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1CGY6MZ47PAVR&coliid=I24YAS0VMRFHVN&psc=1 (a Zoostorm prebuilt with an i5-4670K@3.40GHz, 16GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, NVidia GTX760 & Windows 8) and one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KFAGCWK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1CGY6MZ47PAVR&coliid=I258UM8M6URMJ9&psc=1 (an MX-100 256GB SSD). I'm currently slumming it with a Phenom II x4 940 (stock speeds), 8GB DDR2, an on-its-last-legs C: drive and a nice MSI GTX 750 Ti Twin Frozr.

My questions: Is the machine I'm looking at a good enough upgrade for the money they're currently asking? And can anyone here vouch for Zoostorm? They're a relatively local firm to me (based in Warrington, UK), and they seem well reviewed for their other items, but this particular one has no reviews, which makes me leery. Whaddaya say, GAF? Bear in mind I'm in the UK here, and PC shit is usually expensive here. Thanks in advance.

I think the graphics card and power supply are a bit low end, but the price of the system as a whole is actually quite good when taking into account how much each individual part costs. I can't put together a comparable parts list for less than £800 without making some questionable choices to save money.

I don't see any real benefit for Samsung in this - they are withdrawing from PC market not doubling down on it.
If they want gpus they can just license it from AMD and not spend billions on whole company.

Olli128

I built my pc recently with help from you some people in this thread :) However I've run into a problem - my R9 270 card doesn't support three monitors - well two monitors and my tv (2X DVI 1 HDMI) without using an active displayport adapter. It looks like this item is quite expensive for what it is and no without problems so I'm thinking it would be better just to upgrade the graphics card as I got mine on sale and can get most of the money back. So..

What graphics card under £200 would support 2X DVI and 1X HDMI without adapters?

Also needs to be under 26CM or I'll have to take out my 2.5inch bays and get an adapter for my ssd to fit into the 3.5, possible if necessary but hopefully not needed.

Nzyme32

I built my pc recently with help from you some people in this thread :) However I've run into a problem - my R9 270 card doesn't support three monitors - well two monitors and my tv (2X DVI 1 HDMI) without using an active displayport adapter. It looks like this item is quite expensive for what it is and no without problems so I'm thinking it would be better just to upgrade the graphics card as I got mine on sale and can get most of the money back. So..

What graphics card under £200 would support 2X DVI and 1X HDMI without adapters?

Also needs to be under 26CM or I'll have to take out my 2.5inch bays and get an adapter for my ssd to fit into the 3.5, possible if necessary but hopefully not needed.

R9 285 is your best bet

Saphire - Display Outputs: 2x DVI + 1x HDMI + 1x DisplayPort = £187.55

XFX - Connectivity: 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x DVI-D, 1 x DVI-I, 1 x HDMI = £189.59

Hey guys so I got Dxtory, its a really good piece of software however that framerate font is huge. I make it more opaque to lessen how much it covers but is there a way to make it smaller? I tried looking in appdata settings, tried looking for a font folder, but I can't seem to find anything to make the font smaller.

Olli128

R9 285 is your best bet

Saphire - Display Outputs: 2x DVI + 1x HDMI + 1x DisplayPort = £187.55

XFX - Connectivity: 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x DVI-D, 1 x DVI-I, 1 x HDMI = £189.59

Thanks but on the product page it says "To support 3 displays, one of the monitors has to support DisplayPort" which would mean I'd have the same problem and need to buy the adapter for my TV, I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to deal with an adapter.

Iacobellis

Hey guys so I got Dxtory, its a really good piece of software however that framerate font is huge. I make it more opaque to lessen how much it covers but is there a way to make it smaller? I tried looking in appdata settings, tried looking for a font folder, but I can't seem to find anything to make the font smaller.

Use Riva Tuner instead.

ravien56

Hello all,

This is the current pc I bought just a month ago.
http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=7313802

This is the video card in it
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

It has a i5-4590 in it.

Its pretty good for gaming under medium settings, but anything higher and it starts to stutter. I had a few questions about purchasing a potential video card for this machine.

I was looking into purchasing a video card in this range.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=061675

How much of a upgrade would a video card shown above be for my current pc? Currently, if I run anything at 1080p over medium, it stutters and even on 720p, I can't go very high in the settings.

Is it worth purchasing a video card in this range or not?

If so, How do I determine if I need a separate power supply to power this card? I believe it will fit in my rig also but I'm not 100%.

cyen

Hello all,

This is the current pc I bought just a month ago.
http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=7313802

This is the video card in it
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

It has a i5-4590 in it.

Its pretty good for gaming under medium settings, but anything higher and it starts to stutter. I had a few questions about purchasing a potential video card for this machine.

I was looking into purchasing a video card in this range.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=061675

How much of a upgrade would a video card shown above be for my current pc? Currently, if I run anything at 1080p over medium, it stutters and even on 720p, I can't go very high in the settings.

Is it worth purchasing a video card in this range or not?

If so, How do I determine if I need a separate power supply to power this card? I believe it will fit in my rig also but I'm not 100%.

It looks that pc have a 300w power supply, so you better of buying a 750ti (cheaper than a 760 but with less performance of course) , it will consume alot less than a 760 since it´s maxwell, and will still be a huge upgrade on your current GT 635.

ravien56

It looks that pc have a 300w power supply, so you better of buying a 750ti, it will consume alot less than a 760 since it´s maxwell, and will still be a huge upgrade on your current GT 635.

Thank you for the reply. I did just a quick google search on that card, and does the brand matter for video cards? Looks like Asus, EVGA and MSI all make this card.

cyen

Thank you for the reply. I did just a quick google search on that card, and does the brand matter for video cards? Looks like Asus, EVGA and MSI all make this card.

They are very similar, for me it´s just a matter of preference, i dont have a 750ti myself so i cant help, but as long as it´s not 100% passive you are good to go since it´s a very low power and cool gpu.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, I'm canceling my "new 3DS XL" preorder in favor of getting a new GPU. As suggested by others, I'm going to get a 970. Anyone care to link the one they suggest? Looking at PC Parts Picker, there's a bunch to choose form. I have no idea which to go with...

Dambrosi

Banned
I currently have an MSI 750 ti Twin Frozr, and I'd highly recommend it. It doesn't need any external power supply other than the PCi Express slot, and even with two fans whizzing about, it's so quiet. Not a bad performer either, it certainly kicks the shit out of my previous 550 ti at almost half the power drain!

Piers

I currently have an MSI 750 ti Twin Frozr, and I'd highly recommend it. It doesn't need any external power supply other than the PCi Express slot, and even with two fans whizzing about, it's so quiet. Not a bad performer either, it certainly kicks the shit out of my previous 550 ti at almost half the power drain!

External power supplies (aside from the dimensions) seem to catch a lot of people off, me included. Apparently the MSI GTX 970 can fit in my case (and be supported altogether?) but I sent the tower into Novatech for the servicing since, although trying, I'm too nervous to try and get it in myself.

Aside from needing a new PSU, will be expecting a call from them detailing the bevy of other issues they've encountered trying to install it.

Im trying to build a new PC that will last me a few years. Here is what i came up with. (Please keep in mind im really bad at it.)

What do you guys think? Useable?

Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97 G1.Sniper LGA1150
CPU: INTEL Core i5 4460 4x 3.2 GHz 6MB
Ram: 2x - 8GB DDR3-1600 Kingston
Cooler: Intel Original-Kühler LGA 1155/50
CD: LG 22x+/- RW schwarz SATA
Hardrives 1.0TB Toshiba DT01ACA100 SATAIII
120GB Kingston V300 SATA III
Graphics: 4096MB Gainward GTX 970 Phantom 28nm

Coolermaster 690 III Midi Tower
be quiet! Sys-Power 700W 80Plus

Pricepoint is a a little bit short of 1200 €

Dambrosi

Banned
I think the graphics card and power supply are a bit low end, but the price of the system as a whole is actually quite good when taking into account how much each individual part costs. I can't put together a comparable parts list for less than £800 without making some questionable choices to save money.
Thanks for the reply, mate. How about this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-DESKTOP-PC-Processor-Pre-Installed/dp/B00NSYP1O0/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1421595958&sr=1-2&keywords=i5+4690k+gtx+970

It's an i5 4690K 3.5Ghz, GTX 970 4GB, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3, 1TB HDD, PCI WiFi built in, & 24x DVDRW in a Corsair SPEC-03 Case, and comes with Windows 8. I'm still gonna get the SSD I was gonna get with the other model, so it's still £150-odd more, or I could get the same but with Win7 for £20 less. Tell me, is this model worth the extra money, and how much better is it? I don't doubt that I'll need the extra VRAM later on this year when the true next-gen ports start coming out, but I could always just upgrade later, right? What say you, O venerable NeoGAF sages?

Edit: Hah, there's one with the exact same specs available from the same seller in a different case for £50 less: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-DESKTOP-PC-Processor-Pre-Installed/dp/B00NSYV554/ref=sr_1_17?m=A17AS5ETPMZ9A1&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1421598301&sr=1-17&keywords=i5+4690k+gtx+970. I'll have to call ADMI tomorrow to ask what the mobo and PSU are, and how much RAM these babies can handle. That'll help me make an informed decision.

ISOM

Im trying to build a new PC that will last me a few years. Here is what i came up with. (Please keep in mind im really bad at it.)

What do you guys think? Useable?

Go for the 4690k. It should be only a little more expensive but you can also overclock it. I have mine running at 4.4ghz.

ACE 1991

Hi guys,

Is it worth it to get an r9 290 over a gtx 970? It seems like they are the same performance wise but one is about $80 cheaper.

Dambrosi

Banned
Hi guys,

Is it worth it to get an r9 290 over a gtx 970? It seems like they are the same performance wise but one is about $80 cheaper.
I guess it depends on whether AMD's drivers are any good this time around or not.

The main reason I went Team Green after years of Radeon cards was the driver situation. I don't honestly know if AMD's drivers have improved any, though, so if anyone else wants to butt in...?

abracadaver

I need a new mouse pad but I have no idea which one

I used a ratpad back in the day but they are not available in europe anymore. Also there are now glass and aluminium pads. are they any good?

I loved the ratpad (with my mx512) because it was so smooth there was no resistance at all when moving the mouse. I want to have that again. Right now I'm using a cloth pad but I hate how stiff it is to move the mouse. any recommendations?

Hi guys,

I guess it depends on whether AMD's drivers are any good this time around or not.

The main reason I went Team Green after years of Radeon cards was the driver situation. I don't honestly know if AMD's drivers have improved any, though, so if anyone else wants to butt in...?

Yeah, the new Omega Drivers are out now. They aren't bad, and they added downsampling for the 285/290/290X/295X2.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-catalyst-14-12-driver-the-omega-driver,1.html

Dambrosi

Banned

I used a ratpad back in the day but they are not available in europe anymore. Also there are now glass and aluminium pads. are they any good?

I loved the ratpad (with my mx512) because it was so smooth there was no resistance at all when moving the mouse. I want to have that again. Right now I'm using a cloth pad but I hate how stiff it is to move the mouse. any recommendations?
I just use a sheet of white copier paper, mate, don't ask me :p

So I've ran into a problem, GAF. My motherboard doesn't support the necessary voltage/pins but I don't want to spent out of the ass for one. I just need something that'll take this a Thermaltake - SMART Series 650W Bronze Power Supply (because that's what they had in stock).

Now, how do I find the right wattage and connectors? What's a good, cheap motherboard? And lastly, how hard is it to install in general if I have everything else?

kaskade

Thinking about going for another monitor and dual monitoring it. Will there be any real hit in performance while having another monitor attached?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

My brother randomly bought me this for Christmas 2 years ago:

SteelSeries

I didn't ask for it, didn't want it, but now I can't live without it. It's buttery smooth.

E: Also, if I buy a GTX 970 and keep my 770, can I use the 770 as a dedicated PhysX card? Is that a thing?

Hey everyone I won a Dell gift card at work so I will be getting a new computer from there. Please don't jump down my throat and tell me to build my own. Yes I know it's generally better and cheaper, but again I have a Dell gift card (large amount) that I will be using on a computer. I haven't done much PC gaming lately so please help me decide what's best :)

First, I have a 34" wide screen monitor that I will be gaming on in 1440p. There are a few systems from Dell I am considering. First, an XPS 8700 and putting a GTX 980 in it. My other options would be to get an X51 and putting a GTX 980 in it, or going with an Alienware Area-51 with the GTX 980 model.

How well would the XPS 8700 stack up against an X51 with a 980 or an Area-51 with a 980?

Thanks!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

SteelSeries

I didn't ask for it, didn't want it, but now I can't live without it. It's buttery smooth.

E: Also, if I buy a GTX 970 and keep my 770, can I use the 770 as a dedicated PhysX card? Is that a thing?

from what I hear, dedicated PhysX cards are kinda useless these days

RGM79

Im trying to build a new PC that will last me a few years. Here is what i came up with. (Please keep in mind im really bad at it.) What do you guys think? Useable?

What country are you buying in, exactly? Any specific retailers you are looking at? You should be able to save a lot of money. There should be cheaper motherboards you can get, I also recommend a bump up to the 4690K which can overclock for better long term performance with a decent CPU cooler, and faster RAM should be available for only a few euros more.

Thanks for the reply, mate. How about this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-DESKTOP-PC-Processor-Pre-Installed/dp/B00NSYP1O0/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1421595958&sr=1-2&keywords=i5+4690k+gtx+970

It's an i5 4690K 3.5Ghz, GTX 970 4GB, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3, 1TB HDD, PCI WiFi built in, & 24x DVDRW in a Corsair SPEC-03 Case, and comes with Windows 8. I'm still gonna get the SSD I was gonna get with the other model, so it's still £150-odd more, or I could get the same but with Win7 for £20 less. Tell me, is this model worth the extra money, and how much better is it? I don't doubt that I'll need the extra VRAM later on this year when the true next-gen ports start coming out, but I could always just upgrade later, right? What say you, O venerable NeoGAF sages?

Edit: Hah, there's one with the exact same specs available from the same seller in a different case for £50 less: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-DESKTOP-PC-Processor-Pre-Installed/dp/B00NSYV554/ref=sr_1_17?m=A17AS5ETPMZ9A1&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1421598301&sr=1-17&keywords=i5+4690k+gtx+970. I'll have to call ADMI tomorrow to ask what the mobo and PSU are, and how much RAM these babies can handle. That'll help me make an informed decision.
Both look great for the price, actually. The only thing stopping me from recommending them totally is that they don't have any reviews and in the case of the second one in a more compact case, the product description says both i5 4690K and i5 4430, might be a error they made in the description but I'd ask to check what processor the white PC comes with.

The GTX 760 from the last PC is already a older graphics card on the way out. The GTX 970 graphics cards in these two new PCs are very recent and will last you at least the next few years gaming on AAA titles at 1080p at high settings.

So I've ran into a problem, GAF. My motherboard doesn't support the necessary voltage/pins but I don't want to spent out of the ass for one. I just need something that'll take this a Thermaltake - SMART Series 650W Bronze Power Supply (because that's what they had in stock).

Now, how do I find the right wattage and connectors? What's a good, cheap motherboard? And lastly, how hard is it to install in general if I have everything else?

Any motherboard made in the last 6 years or so should be compatible with any standard ATX power supply. What parts do you have exactly?

If your motherboard is so old that your new power supply is incompatible, you will also need a new processor to go with a new motherboard.

Yudoken

SteelSeries

I would rather sell it.
The disadvantages are way higher than the advantages.

Hey everyone I won a Dell gift card at work so I will be getting a new computer from there. Please don't jump down my throat and tell me to build my own. Yes I know it's generally better and cheaper, but again I have a Dell gift card (large amount) that I will be using on a computer. I haven't done much PC gaming lately so please help me decide what's best :)

First, I have a 34" wide screen monitor that I will be gaming on in 1440p. There are a few systems from Dell I am considering. First, an XPS 8700 and putting a GTX 980 in it. My other options would be to get an X51 and putting a GTX 980 in it, or going with an Alienware Area-51 with the GTX 980 model.

How well would the XPS 8700 stack up against an X51 with a 980 or an Area-51 with a 980?

Thanks!

Also i'm lo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom