• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need a surround sound system in my bathroom

Listening to music on my phone sucks on its speaker. I need sound to hug my ass when I'm on the crapper. I want to listen to I just had sex with high fidelity audio.

Right now i got this

Garage: sonos player
Living room: sony htz9f
Bedroom: lg soundbar and subwoofer.

I need a bathroom solution for my luther vandross never too much

Elginer

I got a GE light which has a built in Bluetooth speaker that does the trick. I can listen to smooth jazz as I wash my ass.

I got a GE light which has a built in Bluetooth speaker that does the trick. I can listen to smooth jazz as I wash my ass.
Does ge have decent quality audio? Is it muffled in the slightest? Does it have slight crackling? Is the bass actual bass or is it subdued?

Last edited:

Elginer

Does gevhave decent qualoty audio? Is it muffled in the slightest? Does it have slight crackling? Is the bass actual bass or isnit subdued?
It’s decent, don’t go expecting an amazing audio experience but it’s surprisingly good. Decent bass and clear.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
What sonos player do you have in your garage?

Next time I buy a phone, speaker quality will be a priority tbh

Last edited:
I like the idea but for me it would be more for shower singing time, nobody do a better rick astley impression while washing his balls than me.
Do you wash your taint and go "you know the rules and so do I. A washed asshole is what I'm thinking of. I wouldn't do this for any other guy. And you can tell what I'm thinking. Gonna scrub it oh so good."

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention I have a musical kitchen utensil holder that also doubles as a bluetooth speaker. If I'm honest, I probably have at least two grand in audio equipment in my house. I'm listening to this on a system that costs 1k in the store

I'm not gonna lie. This turns into a banger with the sound system. The bass vibrating my feet with the voices booming from the soundbar and my friend coming over and staring at me while I do the conductor with my novelty diamond tip cane.

Is that to drown out the sound of horror coming from your intestines?

I hope you know that your phone would be covered in fecal particles if you're using it while on the toilet.

T8SC

Judging by the poor taste in your other rooms, are you sure you're not ok listening to the phone speaker in the bathroom? Maybe one of those little Anker boxes off Amazon will suit you, seems to be about the right quality.

Judging by the poor taste in your other rooms, are you sure you're not ok listening to the phone speaker in the bathroom? Maybe one of those little Anker boxes off Amazon will suit you, seems to be about the right quality.
What audio equipment are you blasting oh master of the sound? Are you pushing bowers and wilkins? Mcintosh? Sennheiser? What are you bumping?

Last edited:

Drake

brah, just get a bluetooth speaker. Some of them are actually really good quality and you can still control the music from your phone. It'll also mask the sound of your massive shits.

luxsol

What audio equipment are you blasting oh master of the sound? Are you pushing bowers and wilkins? Mcintosh? Sennheiser? What are you bumping?
I think he's saying that since you don't have any full range speakers, that any audio trinket will do.

I know a lot of people don't have room for tower or even bookshelf speakers, but pretty much any set that's $200+ will sound better than anything posted in this thread. A lot of bookshelf speakers can actually produce lower bass than that dedicated subwoofer found on your Sony system.
And can get louder without distortion too.

I personally got into buying full range speakers when i bought my first flat panel TV after hearing it's tiny speakers. I looked into various sound systems and found how expensive soundbars sounded about as good as the built in speakers in my monster 36" CRT. I didn't want to spend so much money on those overpriced all-in-one systems and just went around to piecemealing together a 5.1 set, ending up with 3 sets of tower speakers for every room because why not.

I think he's saying that since you don't have any full range speakers, that any audio trinket will do.

I know a lot of people don't have room for tower or even bookshelf speakers, but pretty much any set that's $200+ will sound better than anything posted in this thread. A lot of bookshelf speakers can actually produce lower bass than that dedicated subwoofer found on your Sony system.
And can get louder without distortion too.

I personally got into buying full range speakers when i bought my first flat panel TV after hearing it's tiny speakers. I looked into various sound systems and found how expensive soundbars sounded about as good as the built in speakers in my monster 36" CRT. I didn't want to spend so much money on those overpriced all-in-one systems and just went around to piecemealing together a 5.1 set, ending up with 3 sets of tower speakers for every room because why not.
I don't have the room to do a full 7.1 setup with wires strewn all across. I have a set of vintage polk audio speakers in the garage with a subwoofer and a 7. 1 sony receiver. I just can't justify wiring everything in a small house. And the sony soundbar also has a seconary set of wireless speakers making it five speakers and a subwoofer for 5.1 dolby atmos which is still pretty good.

The sonos is pure convenience though.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
haha i love this idea. i have started playing karaoke on my phone while im in the shower so i can sing along. but it's not loud enough. been thinking of investing in a bathroom speaker...

luxsol

I don't have the room to do a full 7.1 setup with wires strewn all across. I have a set of vintage polk audio speakers in the garage with a subwoofer and a 7. 1 sony receiver. I just can't justify wiring everything in a small house. And the sony soundbar also has a seconary set of wireless speakers making it five speakers and a subwoofer for 5.1 dolby atmos which is still pretty good.

The sonos is pure convenience though.
Yeah, doing the wiring to hide everything can suck shit, but for your garage or bedroom you can just go for just stereo or 3.1. Switch your sonos to your bathroom and you're done. Get yourself a good amplifier or receiver and everything will be close together up front, meaning the wiring can be easily hidden.

Since i piecemealed together my 5.1 set, i actually started with just the center channel and used a cheapo boombox whose speakers seperate from the system for L and R, and it was so much better sounding than any soundbar. So just having a quality center channel upped the quality hugely.
Right now my bedroom only has a set of towers for stereo sound, plus a subwoofer. I have a set of bipolar surround speakers that i haven't gotten around to wiring them back up after remodeling, because my receiver does a good job at faking surround thanks to the quality of my speakers. I usually forget that it's missing a center channel because of the excellent stereo imaging.

Most of my speakers are Klipsch, but i have a few sets of Definitive Technology speakers too. They all feature bass radiators (Except for the surrounds) and could actually work in a bathroom setting since they're sealed.

Yeah, doing the wiring to hide everything can suck shit, but for your garage or bedroom you can just go for just stereo or 3.1. Switch your sonos to your bathroom and you're done. Get yourself a good amplifier or receiver and everything will be close together up front, meaning the wiring can be easily hidden.

Since i piecemealed together my 5.1 set, i actually started with just the center channel and used a cheapo boombox whose speakers seperate from the system for L and R, and it was so much better sounding than any soundbar. So just having a quality center channel upped the quality hugely.
Right now my bedroom only has a set of towers for stereo sound, plus a subwoofer. I have a set of bipolar surround speakers that i haven't gotten around to wiring them back up after remodeling, because my receiver does a good job at faking surround thanks to the quality of my speakers. I usually forget that it's missing a center channel because of the excellent stereo imaging.

Most of my speakers are Klipsch, but i have a few sets of Definitive Technology speakers too. They all feature bass radiators (Except for the surrounds) and could actually work in a bathroom setting since they're sealed.
The sonos is an old unit and that's hard wired to ethernet. I use a range extender in the garage. I can't use a range extender in the bathroom so I'd end up buying a new sonos unit.

The bedroom is a 2.1 stereo soundbar so that's okay. The living room is the one with the 5.1 surround soundbar. I wanted to do mounted speakers but the bookshelf size don't fit without heavy modification. It doesn't help that the living room is smaller than the bedroom which is why my wired speakers are in the garage along with my receiver. The garage has three bookshelf polk speakers and five small sony speakers. I have some other speakers and a subwoofer but I'm already hitting the higher limits of my electricity draw as the garage has the washer, dryer and deep freezer along with a tv and other stuff. I would like to add more juice to it at some point.

How much area are you willing to give up in the shitter? You can setup a good 2.1 sound system I'd imagine, unless you wanna go balls to the wall.

luxsol

I have some other speakers and a subwoofer but I'm already hitting the higher limits of my electricity draw as the garage has the washer, dryer and deep freezer along with a tv and other stuff. I would like to add more juice to it at some point.
hahahahha shit! you just reminded me that i have my tube dac and amp turned on doing nothing but wasting electricity.
I actually had to get shit re-routed and have a new circuit put in for my computer room, because it would brown out the room when i played music.

Anyway, you really should get back into full range speakers if you really want quality sound and feeling it in your chest.
Somehow, i still have my full range of hearing. i used to hear up to 22khz, but im old now.

teezzy

Banned
Polk audio r1 bookshelf speakers from the 90s. Not the expensive ones but decent.

Sweet!! Polk is sorta known for being like the opposite of Bose. Definitely the most bang for your buck speaker brand there is.

I use R10s as surrounds and a Polk CS1 center. I love em. Polk and Yamaha *got a yamaha sub and 5.1 avr*.

When I was younger, and a douchey vinyl guy, I spent a lot of time on AudioKarma and other audiophile goblin dens.

While the scene really is mostly bullshit or, older guys upset their wives wont let em hoard speakers, it seemed to me that apart from a few snobby nerds, Polks were super coveted and lived up to their marketing.

vuwc6ic7wlwx.png

oachbtwvnqv6.jpg

My mains are the second from the right. I dont have the cool stands so I use milk crates lol

People say that with Bose, you're mostly paying for the name but you could usually get better speakers for the price. Polk is the opposite. Food for thought.

Theres some real Polk enthusiasts as a result.

Sweet!! Polk is sorta known for being like the opposite of Bose. Definitely the most bang for your buck speaker brand there is.

I use R10s as surrounds and a Polk CS1 center. I love em. Polk and Yamaha *got a yamaha sub and 5.1 avr*.

When I was younger, and a douchey vinyl guy, I spent a lot of time on AudioKarma and other audiophile goblin dens.

While the scene really is mostly bullshit or, older guys upset their wives wont let em hoard speakers, it seemed to me that apart from a few snobby nerds, Polks were super coveted and lived up to their marketing.

vuwc6ic7wlwx.png

oachbtwvnqv6.jpg

My mains are the second from the right. I dont have the cool stands so I use milk crates lol

People say that with Bose, you're mostly paying for the name but you could usually get better speakers for the price. Polk is the opposite. Food for thought.

Theres some real Polk enthusiasts as a result.
Bose is the scrub lords prayer of thinking they have a name but are over paying for sound that is easily surpassed by companies like sony or sennheiser for far less money. Their noise cancelling is good though but their sound doesn't feel vibrant? Like it's got decent bass but doesn't replicate lows or high pitches that well.

teezzy

Banned
Bose is the scrub lords prayer of thinking they have a name but are over paying for sound that is easily surpassed by companies like sony or sennheiser for far less money. Their noise cancelling is good though but their sound doesn't feel vibrant? Like it's got decent bass but doesn't replicate lows or high pitches that well.

I honestly dont know too much about em apart from the fact I've every person who has ever bragged to me about owning Bose has also been a bit of a dimwit.

Theyre definitely not an enthusiast brand, but people like to think of themas such. The same people who like Bose are the same ones who brag about soundbars.

Likethey dont sound awful, but they're overpriced for what you get. Like Beats headphones.

My rule of thumb is Polk/Yamaha for home theater, Sony for headphones, and Technics for turntables (I miss mine)

I also own some KRK Rokit 5s now for my PC and a Google Home Max in my front room. They all sound very nice to me, but I couldn't really describe the sound flavors or whatever lol

teezzy

Banned
Also people like to say

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

Which stook in my head

I'm sure theres solid Bose gear out there, but its funny

Last edited:
I honestly dont know too much about em apart from the fact I've every person who has ever bragged to me about owning Bose has also been a bit of a dimwit.

Theyre definitely not an enthusiast brand, but people like to think of themas such. The same people who like Bose are the same ones who brag about soundbars.

Likethey dont sound awful, but they're overpriced for what you get. Like Beats headphones.

My rule of thumb is Polk/Yamaha for home theater, Sony for headphones, and Technics for turntables (I miss mine)

I also own some KRK Rokit 5s now for my PC and a Google Home Max in my front room. They all sound very nice to me, but I couldn't really describe the sound flavors or whatever lol
I've had these headphones

Bose qc2
Bose qc3
Bose qc25
Bose qc35 ii
Sennheiser px150
Sennheiser px200
Audio technica at50h
Sony xm2s
Sony xm3s
Bowers and Wilkins don't remember the model

Overall my xm3s are my favorite they're a good all rounder. Far better sound than any bose but the noise canceling isn't quite as good but still close enough. Far more comfortable though.

teezzy

Banned
The Pleasure The Pleasure

Yeah one of my old bosses and i were super tight before he went on one too many n-word filled rants for comfort

Anywho he was fairly wealthy because his mother was a millionaire and babied him, and he was also a sound guy/audio engineer as a side gig. He had the craziest gear dude. Very elitist brands

Dude straight up had a living room theater set up that looked like something you'd see in a VFW hall or a bar where bands would play 😅 guy was nuts.

However, pretty much everything he showed me was either not as enjoyable as what I already owned, or to the point where there wasnt enough discernable difference for whatever extra $1,000 he dropped on it.

Audio gear is absolutely a thing where theres diminishing returns and people pretending they can hear a difference. That or I'm deaf.

But yeah, Sont headphones are dope, and always super comfy.

I hear their speakers arent as good? Idk why that would be

Top Bottom