• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to replace my current Android phone. Suggestions?

Rickyiez

Sony hardware is great but their software is lacking no? I read somewhere their software image processing struggles, and obviously it's not feasible to have pro-mode all the time.

Also Xperia 1 IV which is the only one worth buying is as expensive as IPhone 13 pro which is way over budget

Last edited:

Bwesh

I'm planning to get this when it comes out. I ride my bike a lot and it usually rains where I'm from so water and shock resistant ones are good for me.

https://www.doogee.cc/promotion/s61series/
4qBuP71.png

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I have been using this since 2018 and think that the only logical and real upgrade would be the IPhone 13.

Let see the cons on current gen phone series

Samsung S22 - average battery life, slow updates , Plus and Ultra version too big
Oneplus 10 - trash ColorOS, average camera, ugly camera module
Pixel 6 - average battery life, ugly chin on the base model
Xiaomi 12 - getting expensive for a budget brand, longevity is still a doubt, trash OS
Huawei P50 - no Google no thanks

IPhone 13 is the only one that has both top of the class Camera and Battery life. It's also the one with the more secure OS, an important factor where apps have been rampantly leaking information nowadays.

IThe S22 has a better screen (including brightness and refresh rate) than the iPhone 13. It also has a camera that is equal to, and in some way is superior to, the iPhone 13. Stating that the iPhone camera is the best may be your opinion, but that is definitely not a fact.

While the iOS is more secure, it also comprises far less of the market share (meaning the people making viruses and malware wouldn't be targeting it as heavily since they would be putting their time into targeting the OS with the greatest market share). In addition, iOS is closed-source and Android is open-source. And finally, while Android users have a higher chance of getting a virus or malware, let's not pretend that viruses and malware is absolutely rampant. That same excuse is given for PC vs Mac, and it almost always comes down to users not being smart about what they're putting on their device. You can't fix stupid.

Rickyiez

IThe S22 has a better screen (including brightness and refresh rate) than the iPhone 13. It also has a camera that is equal to, and in some way is superior to, the iPhone 13. Stating that the iPhone camera is the best may be your opinion, but that is definitely not a fact.

While the iOS is more secure, it also comprises far less of the market share (meaning the people making viruses and malware wouldn't be targeting it as heavily since they would be putting their time into targeting the OS with the greatest market share). In addition, iOS is closed-source and Android is open-source. And finally, while Android users have a higher chance of getting a virus or malware, let's not pretend that viruses and malware is absolutely rampant. That same excuse is given for PC vs Mac, and it almost always comes down to users not being smart about what they're putting on their device. You can't fix stupid.
Both S22 and iPhone 13 are in the top of the class tier of camera, I never said otherwise about the S22. But it's a fact that that iPhone 13 video quality is still superior, especially in low light. Also, it's a fact that the 13 has better battery life, both of these aren't subjective.

Look I want to get the S22 too as a long time Galaxy user. I've had S7 Edge, Note 8 and S10+ before this, but Iphone 13 is the definite upgrade here instead of S22. Not to mention my country has only Exynos version and I hate the battery life.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Both S22 and iPhone 13 are in the top of the class tier of camera, I never said otherwise about the S22. But it's a fact that that iPhone 13 video quality is still superior, especially in low light. Also, it's a fact that the 13 has better battery life, both of these aren't subjective.

Look I want to get the S22 too as a long time Galaxy user. I've had S7 Edge, Note 8 and S10+ before this, but Iphone 13 is the definite upgrade here instead of S22. Not to mention my country has only Exynos version and I hate the battery life.

I'm not saying iPhone doesn't have its strengths, but it also has no place in this conversation and the way you worded your post was that the iPhone was indisputably the top phone for certain criteria. The camera win doesn't go to iPhone 13 in most scenarios. Pretty much only low-light video. Here's a YouTube video showing both phones side-by-side:

Definitely the iPhone is better at low-light video, but in almost every other aspect the S22 is better. Especially with the 5x zoom, and with ultra-wide shots.

There is no question on battery life, but that wasn't something in your initial post as well.

The big thing here is that you're saying the iPhone 13 is the definite upgrade, but you're talking about changing an entire ecosystem. You can't just go to an iPhone and keep everything you had on android. Not only do you have to learn a new OS, but you need to re-purchase every app you had on Android (if there is even an iPhone app as not all Android apps are on iPhone). The only way you should be jumping ecosystems is if you plan on never going back. One phone being slightly better in some regards is not a definite reason to switch ecosystems.

Tams

Any model in mind? Never had sony smartphones.
They condensed their line-up quite a while ago.

So for mid range there's the 10. Lower-high end the 5. High-end the 1. The flagship is the PRO.

The base features are roughly the same, though the 10 doesn't have a hardware shutter/camera button, and no dual front-facing speakers.

The only annoying issue is you can't swap the navigation keys without rooting. I'd blame Google for that though.

Last edited:

Tams

Sony hardware is great but their software is lacking no? I read somewhere their software image processing struggles, and obviously it's not feasible to have pro-mode all the time.

Also Xperia 1 IV which is the only one worth buying is as expensive as IPhone 13 pro which is way over budget

It's gotten better, but yes, for years their image processing wasn't great.

Other than that, their ROM is almost stock Android. Any problems largely lie with Google.

The 5 series probably isn't worth it, but the 10 series is. Sure, it's no powerhouse, but it is good.

Rickyiez

Well how about waiting for the review of Nothing Phone 1 ?

Design is not for everyone but it should be affordable with good spec if anything

Nothing%20Phone%201%20in%20Hand.jpg

Nvm , it won't be sold in the US

Last edited:

Goalus

What about a Surface Duo?
It's outside your price range, but you get two displays. I have one and love it.

Last edited:
It's gotten better, but yes, for years their image processing wasn't great.

Other than that, their ROM is almost stock Android. Any problems largely lie with Google.

The 5 series probably isn't worth it, but the 10 series is. Sure, it's no powerhouse, but it is good.

I have a 5II and really enjoy it. Fantastic phone, just expensive as you noted.

And just to agree with you, it's basically stock Android. So, if you like that, this will work. I enjoy the camera a lot.

Erdrick

I've had a Sony Xperia 1ii for almost 2 years and it's a freaking tank. I literally had it fall out of my suit jacket this past winter into the snow and gravel and I stepped on it, screen first, full-on not knowing it was there until after and hell, not a scratch on it. If this one suddenly dies or is lost, I'd go for the Xperia 1iv (After selling a kidney.)

Given that budget is a concern, however, I'd try the Xperia 10iii or iv whenever it hits. Less of a dent to the finances but you still get a very solid phone.

Or go for whatever Pixel is on sale. Solid little things that are no nonsense.

Tams

You might want to consider the Asus Zenphone 9 that just leaked.

It looks pretty good and Asus have been somewhat better at keeping their devices up to date. No wording on price yet.

Top Bottom