• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I never saw so much interest in SSD since PS5 reveal !

Neo_game

Ever since they showed the Spiderman demo. People got interested but it more than just that load times. Sure we will have have high res games this time but Pro and X already did that, we will have prettier gfx but it is nothing compared to upgrade from a HDD to game made for SSD. SSD is the real next gen experience.

Goliathy

Banned
Ever since they showed the Spiderman demo. People got interested but it more than just that load times. Sure we will have have high res games this time but Pro and X already did that, we will have prettier gfx but it is nothing compared to upgrade from a HDD to game made for SSD. SSD is the real next gen experience.

No, it’s because of the much better CPU and GPU.
Much more power.

What advantage does an SSD provide for non-Open world games except reduced loading times?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Boot your PC in 5 seconds. It’s insane. I think users who neglected SSD didn’t see it until most all new PCs came packaged with one. Once you see the difference you’ll never want to go back. I think exposure and that user experience wasn’t on everyone’s priority list.

It’s going to be insane how snappy everything is going to be.

Neo_game

No, it’s because of the much better CPU and GPU.
Much more power.

What advantage does an SSD provide for non-Open world games except reduced loading times?

We already have great gfx, we already have game hitting 60fps. SSD is something we have not seen before. It removes the bottleneck of previous consoles by how quickly data can be transferred to the ram

This game is just a glimpse why SSD matters.

It is no wonder why next gen games cannot be playable from HDD. I think if some how they even allow it. The game will run so bad that it will be unplayable. Honestly, this is the best next gen feature

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Stadia:

coolest-homemade-sonic-the-hedgehog-costume-17982.jpg

Still better than movie's reveal trailer ;)

Xbox One had the power of the cloud at launch. PS5 now has the power of the SSD at launch.

Yup, Power of the Cell, Power of the Cloud, now Power of the SSD, you can smell from miles away whenever a company tries to move the attention away from bad design/lack of power.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Still better than movie's reveal trailer ;)

Yup, Power of the Cell, Power of the Cloud, now Power of the SSD, you can smell from miles away whenever a company tries to move the attention away from bad design/lack of power.

Beside being less powerful, what is objectively bad about it?
The funny thing is that out of the two past examples you quoted we saw actual evidence of one and only far fetched hype of the other, so if we have to predict what Sony making the new SSD one of the cornerstones of PS4 would mean... mmh, you did not choose the best examples IMHO ;).

I thought with CELL, Sony really thought they had the power advantage and developers would comply with the high learning to get the most out of the console and from the chatter back then maybe quite a few devs were surprised of the bottlenecks in RSX people also had to learn how to work around.

Ar¢tos

I think increased interest in SSD (tech pov, not console comparison) is great for everyone and will only make SSD tech advance faster.
I can see some of Sony customizations for the ps5 ssd being adapted for future versions of pc's ssd, and that is good for everyone.

bitbydeath

How can you not be excited for it?
Fortnite for example has at least three different loading screens and takes around 10mins to boot up and get into a game.

If this gets reduced to just time to get into a server and go then that is next-gen.

MORJDK

Banned
SSDs aren't new true, but SSDs without bottlenecks quite sure are.

Look at that pc pcie nvme drives being no faster than sata ssds in practically all titles. Yet those nvme drives should be 10x times faster than the sata ssd. That is due to bottlenecks, which ps5 does not have. That is why ps5's drive is likely at least 10 times faster than the fastest pc ssd in practice. Without the ps5's custom i/o, it is unlikely pc's will match ps5's ssd in practice even if they manage to exceed the ssd's specs, due to bottlenecks.

We could see ps5 ports to pc get downgrades.

Is this sarcasm?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
SSDs aren't new true, but SSDs without bottlenecks quite sure are.

Look at that pc pcie nvme drives being no faster than sata ssds in practically all titles. Yet those nvme drives should be 10x times faster than the sata ssd. That is due to bottlenecks, which ps5 does not have. That is why ps5's drive is likely at least 10 times faster than the fastest pc ssd in practice. Without the ps5's custom i/o, it is unlikely pc's will match ps5's ssd in practice even if they manage to exceed the ssd's specs, due to bottlenecks.

We could see ps5 ports to pc get downgrades.

bgc6In4.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

The split RAM configuration in the XBox Series X is absolutely no problem, and because of the faster 10GB RAM which will be used only for games, the XBox Series X still has the advantage there too ;)
The 10 of faster speed won't be as much as what the P5 has available.

dano1

A Sheep
The SSD is the only thing the Sony fans have to hang on to.

But yeah, they have gone WAY over the top with all the delusional threads proclaiming devs are going to now develop around the PS5 SSD (because XsX doesn't have one??) and it is now more important than the GPU & CPU in game develoment

Actually Sony fans have much better games on there underpowered system😎

SirTerry-T

I'll probably get the new XSX, all my fears about storage speeds, etc have been allayed now that the third party peripheral guys are on board.
ZVTjysh.jpg

Last edited:
More flops or faster SSD?

I think the choice is obvious.

Take the faster SSD any day of the week!

SSD is not ''the power of the cloud'' scam.
We already know what more Tflops mean, on the other hand, we don't know what faster SSD means. Maybe nothing. Time will tell.

BTW, what stage are we on now? Denial, or anger?
ignorance.

Last edited:

BrentonB

All of these comparisons are useless, though. These are three different systems with very different implementations. PS5 has been designed from the ground up with efficiency as its focus. The Series X has been designed with an eye for the highest level of graphical fidelity. And the PC is tailored to and customized by each individual user.

We can't compare the performance of the PS5 to a PC because they are not built the same way. Nor can we compare it to the Series X because they are not built the same way. Of course each person will gravitate to the platform that emphasizes their own priorities (engineering elegance, power, or customization), but that's no indicator that one is better than the other. Rather it's just an appreciation for the ethos behind the machine.

That being said, PS5 High School football rules!

adamosmaki

If Cerny had unveiled a 13tf machine we all know the narrative on the forum would be completely different. The goalposts have shifted.

thats fine, whatever

The PS5 is going be a very cool console and I’m excited to unbox it Day One. I wish it was a little more powerful but I’ll live.

Pretending like the XsX SSD is slow is just silly though. It’s still ultra-fast storage. They both are a huge generational leap in storage bandwidth
fanboys They always gotta find something to fight. Last gen was gpu wars,before it was cpu wars, now is ssd wars. I dont get it honestly if console fanboys were that interested in hardware they should have build a pc

lingpanda

What happened with power of the cloud? I don’t remember Its effect on launch games (or any games at all)
There wasn't. That's the point. However the power of the cloud will actually come to fruition with Microsoft Flight Simulator. The use of Microsoft Bing and Azure has the potential to revolutionize open world gaming.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I never saw this much interest in teraflops since xsx reveal :p

And you must have been living under a rock re: SSDs mate :p

Wonder which forums you were looking at back then, because at the start of this generation Tera flops were everything, right until the reveal of the One X.

Wonder which forums you were looking at back then, because at the start of this generation Tera flops were everything, right until the reveal of the One X.
You're differentiating between the start of this generation and the first console announced?

I can't do that because i give very few fucks about such nuances~ and consequently didn't track them.. certainly only started seeing threads about it with noticeable regularity after
the One X

Last edited:

sendit

Agreed. The One X definitely delivered. Here is 6 Teraflops of gaming beauty:

Top Bottom