• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I preached against homosexuality, but I was wrong"

Status
Not open for further replies.
mclaren777 said:
I'm just letting you know what the Bible says. Perversion is perversion no matter what form it takes.
"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination. Also you shall not have intercourse with any animal to be defiled with it, nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it; it is a perversion." -- Leviticus 18:22-23

The Bible says a lot of things. Like how to build a temple of gold in the desert.

Holy pogo-sticks did that put me to sleep.

Dude Abides

Banned
mclaren777 said:
I'm just letting you know what the Bible says. Perversion is perversion no matter what form it takes.

"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination. Also you shall not have intercourse with any animal to be defiled with it, nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it; it is a perversion." -- Leviticus 18:22-23

What are your views on wool/linen blends?

itxaka

Defeatist
Count Dookkake said:
Does anyone really "lie with a male as one lies with a female"?

I mean, one has a vagina, the other does not.

You can't "lie" the same way with them.

Stupid god.

"I took a back-door approach to the subject."

jaxword

mclaren777 said:

So you think homosexuality is sick and wrong.

mclaren777 said:

Faith based nonsense.

Copernicus said:
Seriously, my buddie's 20 year old sister was still under the belief that god made white people and black people came from monkeys exclusively.

So what? Someone out there also believes in a flat earth. That doesn't make every Christian a complete moron.

krypt0nian said:
Faith based nonsense.
WHY WONT YOU SEE THE LIGHT KRYPTONIAN!!??!! WHHY?!???

NvzDd.gif

Zenith

Banned
mclaren777 said:

Yeah, you're just being a stickler for accurate biblical interpretation. Certainly nothing "deeper" behind it...

mclaren777 said:
I'm opposed to the practice of homosexuality in the same way I'm opposed to the practice of fornication, adultery, bestiality, etc.

For me it goes much deeper than mere definitions of marriage.

krypt0nian said:
Faith based nonsense.

So in a discussion about the relationship between religion and homosexuality, you expected him to quote something out of Cosmos or A Brief History of Time? Calling it "faith-based nonsense" is not a trump card like you wish it was.

Kusagari

BigNastyCurve said:
So in a discussion about the relationship between religion and homosexuality, you expected him to quote something out of Cosmos or A Brief History of Time?

There is a 0% chance he follows everything the bible says. So, it's hypocritical to quote it literally.

kehs

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
So what? Someone out there also believes in a flat earth. That doesn't make every Christian a complete moron.

I don't believe I implied anything of that nature, I was just pointing out one christian's idiocy.

Kusagari said:
There is a 0% chance he follows everything the bible says. So, it's hypocritical to quote it literally.

Fair enough, but that's different than saying "faith based nonsense".

edit: Genre is a big deal when interpreting scripture, for what it's worth. A lot of people on both sides of the argument fail to acknowledge its importance.

edit 2: Beat you Kaijima! :) Although in fairness you're referring more to cultural contexts than textural.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
mclaren777 said:

Actually, and this is more of a general comment in the thread...

... the subject of "how to be a bible authority" seems to me, to be a little more complex than reading the bible out of context as we see it today. Anyone can just quote the bible and say "clearly it says this".

However, IMHO being an actual bible scholar and a serious authority also involves being aware of and versed in how the bible was meant to be taken by its audience in its native culture. Being aware of the cultural lens it was seen through; understanding the ancient world as best we can, with what we know of it.

It seems most people who say they're christians never even stop to consider the bible as a document out of time and place; which, admittedly, is easy to do since the bible tends to be sold to them initially as the "eternal" word of god - something that wouldn't have a care about its time or place.

BigNastyCurve said:
So in a discussion about the relationship between religion and homosexuality, you expected him to quote something out of Cosmos or A Brief History of Time? Calling it "faith-based nonsense" is not a trump card like you wish it was.

Especially in a faith based argument against homosexuality. He drops idiotic quotes like they actually mean anything.

I can do that too and I demonstrated it with my very telling quote from A Game of Thrones which has as much to do with reality as his shit on a cracker.

Here it is for serious interpretation and to use it against people's equality and basic human dignity:

Ser Waymar Royce was the youngest son of an ancient house with too many heirs. He was a handsome youth of eighteen, grey-eyed and graceful and slender as a knife. Mounted on his huge black destrier, the knight towered above Will and Gared on their smaller garrons. He wore black leather boots, black woolen pants, black moleskin gloves, and a fine supple coat of gleaming black ringmail over layers of black wool and boiled leather. Ser Waymar had been a Sworn Brother of the Night’s Watch for less than half a year, but no one could say he had not prepared for his vocation. At least insofar as his wardrobe was concerned.
His cloak was his crowning glory; sable, thick and black and soft as sin. “Bet he killed them all himself, he did,” Gared told the barracks over wine, “twisted their little heads off, our mighty warrior.” They had all shared the laugh.

I highlighted as part to show you where to look. As if there's a special part of the shit that should be smelled with greater care.

mclaren777

jaxword said:
So you think homosexuality is sick and wrong.
I think it's sinful.

And as Zenith pointed out, I'm opposed to it in the same way I'm opposed to the practice of fornication, adultery, bestiality, friends with benefits, etc.

mclaren777 said:

Yes, but what about Mathew 6:17, hmmm...?

Gaborn

mclaren777 said:
I think it's sinful.

And as Zenith pointed out, I'm opposed to it in the same way I'm opposed to the practice of fornication, adultery, bestiality, friends with benefits, etc.

Yes, but do you go into all threads about people celebrating the fact they have (premarital) sex and condemn them for doing it?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
mclaren777 said:

Keep going. What other passages in Leviticus do you strictly adhere to? All of them, I hope. Otherwise that's just hypocrisy.

Koodo

Banned
mclaren would know about sins since he's lusting over a car.

Seems his affiliation is with the Church and not God Himself.

mclaren777

Gaborn said:
Yes, but do you go into all threads about people celebrating the fact they have (premarital) sex and condemn them for doing it?
No, but I originally entered this thread to comment on the questionable practices of this pastor.

Had Zenith and jaxword not brought up the homosexuality issue, I would have left it alone.

Gaborn

mclaren777 said:
No, but I originally entered this thread to comment on the questionable practices of this pastor.

Had Zenith and jaxword not brought up the homosexuality issue, I would have left it alone.

I just think it's weird. You always pop into gay threads, just about every time. But you never bother people bragging about their sexual exploits. I'm not blaming you mind you, you're just reflecting the church's own attitudes about their hierarchical importance of sins.

kehs

Banned
Gaborn said:
I just think it's weird. You always pop into gay threads, just about every time. But you never bother people bragging about their sexual exploits. I'm not blaming you mind you, you're just reflecting the church's own attitudes about their hierarchical importance of sins.

Are sins supposed to be equal?

Simplet

Zenith said:
Hey, I know you. You're the kid who compared being homesexual to bestiality.

Why can't you compare homosexuality and bestiality? They are very comparable things (I did not say similar)

Kalnos

Banned
Copernicus said:
Are sins supposed to be equal?

To non-Catholics they usually are, as far as I'm aware.

Catholics dub "venial" and "mortal" sins, unless they have changed it. The former being forgivable, and the latter being unforgivable(?).

Simplet said:
They are both different forms of human sexuality?
But then heterosexuality is just as much comparable to bestiality as homosexuality is. So unless you're deliberately trying to cause a fuss, why mention it in the first place.

Simplet

Souldriver said:
But then heterosexuality is just as much comparable to bestiality as homosexuality is. So unless you're deliberately trying to cause a fuss, why mention it in the first place.

Well yeah pretty much, they are all very comparable, you could even add necrophilia and pedophilia to that list.

Why not mention it? If you have an interesting point to make that requires some king of comparison between homosexuality and bestiality, I see no reason not to make it.

Sibylus

Banned
Simplet said:
They are both different forms of human sexuality?
Define these differences.

Homosexual and heterosexual relations both involve two (or more) consenting human adults. Bestiality involves animals that aren't human, and consent is inscrutable or lacking mutuality in the first place.

Culturally, you may have something approaching a point, but cultural judgments are not necessarily scientific ones. In this case, the prevailing cultural attitudes couldn't have got it more wrong.

Zeal

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
As much as I like the news stories you post Gaborn, I can't help but notice and be troubled by the pattern of what you choose to post. With an estimated 50% of your stories involving homosexuality, it's clear you have your own agenda.

this.

jaxword

mclaren777 said:
I think it's sinful.

So you think homosexuality is NOT sick and wrong.

jaxword

mclaren777 said:

I did not "bring up" homosexuality. You did, last page, with a Bible quote about who men lie with.

You just made a blatant and dishonest attempt to try and deceive people and avoid responsibility for what you say.

It is now clear you are willing to lie to promote your bigotry.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hey guys, what's...

...oh. It's the bestiality guy trying to argue gay rights with Krypt0 and Gaborn. Okay. Well, enjoy what will inevitably happen, bud.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
jaxword said:
I did not "bring up" anything. You did, last page, with a Bible quote about who men lie with.

You just made a blatant and dishonest attempt by you to try and deceive people and shift responsibility for what you say.

It is now clear you are willing to lie to promote your bigotry.

Isn't lying a sin? Dude is going to hell. Burn him!
But of course we know that he is just nitpicking parts of the bible to push his own agenda just like how Gaborn has they gay agenda to push
lulz

Zeal

Banned
Gaborn said:
Go here, start reading and scrolling. While it's true that a number of my threads are gay related it's probably closer to 20% at most.

i'm really not singling you out. as a matter of fact, i enjoy reading a great deal of your stories and some topics really are news worthy. but as you yourself admit, a large majority of your news related items always incorporate homosexuality in some way. it is not fair to say you're supporting an agenda here?

it's just something that's immediately noticeable.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zeal said:
i'm really not singling you out. as a matter of fact, i enjoy reading a great deal of your stories and some topics really are news worthy. but as you yourself admit, a large majority of your news related items always incorporate homosexuality in some way. it is not fair to say you're supporting an agenda here?

What agenda would that be, exactly?

Zeal

Banned
WanderingWind said:
What agenda would that be, exactly?

don't really know, that's why i was agreeing with what another poster pointed out. i guess he's making it apparent that he's an avid supporter of gay rights (which is cool and all), or maybe he just wants neogaf to have a better understanding and acceptance of gay rights in general. but what i'm saying is actually impartial here, whereas i just think he lays on his support a bit thick at times. every topic related to the story is always painted in a positive light and typically from a very liberal point of view.

i just don't think the topics allow for much discussion or debate.

I love how righteous and moral people like Mclaren are, 'you will suffer unimaginable agony for eternity because you were born with a different sexual orientation'...

Gaborn

Zeal said:

Majority? No. Not even close. Between 10-20%. A sizable number, but not a majority. And the only agenda I have is posting stories that are interesting. Being gay, not surprisingly, stories related to gay issues happen to be one of several interests I have.

Edit: If anything I'm more insulted I'm being characterized as a LIBERAL.

Zeal said:

Since when is posting a lot of gay stories an 'agenda'? Why does this not apply to other stories that are not gay related?

Zeal said:
don't really know, that's why i was agreeing with what another poster pointed out. i guess he's making it apparent that he's an avid supporter of gay rights (which is cool and all), or maybe he just wants neogaf to have a better understanding and acceptance of gay rights in general. but what i'm saying is actually impartial here, whereas i just think he lays on his support a bit thick at times. every topic related to the story is always painted in a positive light and typically from a very liberal point of view.

i just don't think the topics allow for much discussion or debate.

It is such a burden to have to read all these topics that promote equality for all, I was even going to post some stuff about women's rights and anti-racist material, but I wouldn't want it to bother those who aren't being discriminated against...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom