• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really like Yoko Kanno as a composer/performer. Recommend me songs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S.

Banned
Hi all. I'm a huge fan of Yoko Kanno and definitely am inspired by her in my own (novice) compositions. That and her music is just so incredibly composed, evokes lots of feelings to the listener, and doesn't just stay in one genre.

I'm familiar with her works with Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Brain Powerd, Darker Than Black, and Wolf's Rain.

I've heard a little of her music from Macross Frontier, Escaflowne, and Kids on the Slope. I'm interested in hearing what you guys consider great pieces from her.

Thanks, and sorry if this is not a fun topic or worthwhile one!

Phil S.

Banned
I enjoy her work too, be aware though that sometimes she ''borrows'' a little too much from others...

Yeah, I saw a video comparing themes, and it was eye-opening, really. Still, her ability is incredible, which I'm sure is easy to agree on. :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I enjoy her work too, be aware though that sometimes she ''borrows'' a little too much from others...

Proof? I've heard others make these erroneous claims but no one has ever backed it up with any circumstantial evidence.

Korigama

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Replica (from Solid State Society)
-Take a Little Hand (also from Solid State Society)
-From the Roof Top (see above; takes a little while to really get started)
-Cyberbird
-Torukia
-Stamina Rose
-Dew
-Velveteen
-Good By My Master

Macross Frontier
-Lion
-Infinity #7
-Ao no Ether
-Diamond Crevasse
-Northern Cross
-Seikan Hikou
-Aimo

Macross Plus
-Information High
-Pulse
-Idol Talk
-After, in the dark

Cowboy Bebop
-Gotta Knock a Little Harder (from Knockin' On Heaven's Door)
-Green Bird
-Rain (Mai Yamane version)
-Flying Teapot
-Call Me Call Me
-See You Space Cowboy
-Blue

RahXephon
-Hemisphere (the only track she composed for the series, IIRC)

Those are some I'd recommend, anyway.
Proof? I've heard others make these erroneous claims but no one has ever backed it up with any circumstantial evidence.
I'm not familiar with any other examples, but for as much as I love her work, Cyberbird is very similar to Battersea by Hooverphonic.

Phil S.

Banned
These are some good recommendations. They've gotten me to look into getting some albums (i.e. CD's) that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Anyone have any more songs?

EDIT: Forgive my rudeness. Thanks to all who have posted so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom