• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think a deli/sandwich shop I go to is stealing recipes off a Youtube cooking guy's channel

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This isn't a super serious thread, much like anything a goofball like me posts, but I found it pretty funny actually, so wanted to share it.

A deli/sandwich shop opened up near me and I've been going there for about a year. They have some unique items on the menu, and it's all homemade, a mom and pop place family run, and it's all pretty good. Anyway, a few months ago, I stumbled upon a Youtube channel called Sam the Cooking Guy. He's pretty awesome, just cooks shit in his back patio or inside his home and tells you how to make the stuff he makes. I noticed that the deli I go to has items on their menu alike items he posts. in his videos. Unique stuff, not "burger and fries" or "hot dogs."

So not too long ago the deli was offering general tsos chicken as one of their daily specials, among other things. Got it and it was pretty good, didn't think anything of it. About a week later, I checked in on Sam The Cooking Guy's channel and he recently put up a video on how to make general tsos chicken. Didn't think anything of it, just laughed it off as a coincidence.

So, yesterday Sam put out a video on how to make cheeseburger sliders(White Castle style). Then today I went into the deli, first time I've been in a while, and what was on their menu as a new item? Cheeseburger sliders. I asked if it was new and they said today is the first day they ever had it on the menu. Sam the Cooking Guy put peppers and onions on his. I asked the deli if anything was on the sliders or if it was just a beef patty and cheese. They said it had peppers and onions on it.

Not sure I have a large enough case to accuse this wonderful establishment of recipe theft, and I'm not gonna name their business because they're all super nice, and frankly I like the food, but found it pretty funny, and today to be too much of a coincidence.

Gonna be monitoring this going forward. Honestly, if they are stealing his shit, it's a good fucking idea. That guy Sam makes delicious looking shit, and it's hard to prove recipe theft unless they put a mole in the kitchen or something.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
That’s fun, but recipes have no legal protection – in the US, anyway. Though you can’t plagiarize the exact wording, the ingredients and process are completely up for grabs.

Your deli may not be the most original, but there’s no “recipe theft” to prove.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

The guy put the stuff on YT for people to make, these people are doing that. Nothing wrong with that.

Get them to add this:

It looks nice.

Cato

Banned
It sounds like a pretty awesome place. The constantly research other new dishes and rotate their menu.
Wish that place was near where I live so I could go there often.

So what if they pick recepies from youtube? It is basically the same as picking them from a cook-book.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It sounds like a pretty awesome place. The constantly research other new dishes and rotate their menu.
Wish that place was near where I live so I could go there often.

So what if they pick recepies from youtube? It is basically the same as picking them from a cook-book.

I'm glad they do, just found it kinda funny and totally random. I'm a regular customer.

Sam's creations aren't awfully unique. I hate his giant hockey puck of a cooking surface.

The Evo! Never saw one like that before.

Last edited:

nikolino840

If the guy make cooking tutorials could happen if someone make It .. theres tons of cooking books in bookstores even from famous Chefs
The curious fact Is that you discovered where he find recipes :)

WaterAstro

L5Xh1KJ.jpg

Orpheum

That's actually cool of them in my opinion! Keeps the menu fresh and if the food tastes accordingly i don't see an issue

Introduce them to Cooking with Kay or, even better, Cooking with Hoarders.

The culinary delights that will come forth will double their business.

If the food is good, eat it.

It's like buying a store brand bag of Flakes O' Frost. Taste just as good as the brand they ripped off.

Fbh

I don't see the issue with this.
It's cool that they take the time to search online for new recipes to upgrade and diversify their menu, and if the food is good I honestly don't give a crap where they get the recipe from.

Before the internet I'm pretty sure tons of mom and pop food places took recipes from cooking books, I don't see how this is very different

daveonezero

Banned
I think recipes are a good example of why IP laws don't work and shouldn't exist. Its more than just a recipe that makes a successful monetized food creator. Either a restaurant, videos or cook books.

And thanks for the new cooking youtube channel. I'm pretty addicted to those .

Anyone else up on Binging with Babish?

Last edited:

LMJ

As others in here have stated, you cant steal a recipe from YouTube in a legal sense, it's a public video forum that nearly all can access...you put a recipe on there so people can follow it

If anything its awesome that this deli updates their menu on such a consistent basis, my advice is try to find other recipes you enjoy on YT and reccomend them...

Oh, and daveonezero daveonezero yes, Babbish is awesome lol

Last edited:

God Enel

Isn’t that like the best thing that could happen to you? I see a lot of awesome recipes on Pinterest. Be it cakes low carb meals cookies shakes and I always think they must be delicious. Sadly I don’t have the equipment to make them. So I would love to have a place that make them to taste all this amazing food.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yeah, it was more or less me finding it funny and humorous than being upset that they stole recipes. I just think it's funny and completely random(if it's even true) it could be a huge coincidence, but if it's true getting recipes from Sam the cooking guy is funny to me. They're nice people and make the stuff well. They also have original stuff on the menu too.

Next time I stop in I'm thinking about asking them, they kinda know me at this point, I go often.

ph33rknot

Banned
Yeah, it was more or less me finding it funny and humorous than being upset that they stole recipes. I just think it's funny and completely random(if it's even true) it could be a huge coincidence, but if it's true getting recipes from Sam the cooking guy is funny to me. They're nice people and make the stuff well. They also have original stuff on the menu too.

Next time I stop in I'm thinking about asking them, they kinda know me at this point, I go often.
what if he got it from them?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
what if he got it from them?
Then I will have a laugh about it, order something to go, and continue about my day.

I found it very Larry David Curb Your Enthusiasm-ish. Like the episode when Larry thinks the hotel is using pepperidge farm cookies in the hotel lobby and he went in to investigate. I think very Larry David-ly through most of my life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom