• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Batman: Arkham Knight's character designs are kinda... ugly

dcx4610

I liked them a lot. It's a unique blend of comic/cartoon and reality. They look realistic while still retaining comic aesthetics. I particularly thought the Joker looked cool and actually scary in Arkham Knight when he would pop out of nowhere.

snap

Banned
One more WB Montreal comparison to Rocksteady, from the cancelled Suicide Squad game,

WgUy001.png

what's with the not-quite-boob-window

dlauv

I thought Bane looked like he did in Arkham Asylum because Joker was doing tests on him and screwed him up. It was supposed to be horrendously grotesque. You were supposed to feel sympathetic.

komarkaze

I don't mind most of the character designs despite the griminess. But what really bothers me is when he characters show their teeth. It's okay in cutscenes but their teeth in fight scenes make them all look like meth addicts. Particular offenders include Harley and Catwoman when pausing them in photo mode mid battle.

meerak

Good reminder for me to actually play AK one day.

The art style was the major thing I disliked about the Arkham series. Pretty, but not my style.

Alienous

You must be joking

latest

AK has the same exact design, except now she doesn't look like shit as a person.

I can see where the person you're replying to is coming from.

It isn't really the same design - particularly from the neck up. Ivy in Arkham Asylum / City had a more 'augmented beauty'. 'Fake' looking, but not in a way that isn't uncommon amongst supermodels. Whereas Knight Ivy has more of a 'actress beauty' thing going on.

I prefer the Asylum / City look, imo. It's certainly more 'alien', which feels appropriate for a human who inherits plant qualities. But the Knight look is equally valid, as oftentimes she's far closer to being a human 'goddess' of plants.

I didn't mind the designs too much in Knight. I liked them for the most part. Asylum had some real funky ones, though. Did not like Harley or Gordon at all in the first game. Scarecrow always looked good IMO. It's been so long since I played Origins I have to give that another go, was it ever ported to current gen consoles?

Batman suits are great especially in Arkham Knight. Characters are so bulky and unnatural. I had this feeling that most of UE3 characters had such bulky designs: Batman games, Gears Of War games and more. i don't know why.

Generational leap, and at least Ivy and Harley looked like, well, a plant person, and a harlequin themed villain, rather than a random redhead and a random whitefaced blonde.

Of course if your definition of "better designs" is "higher polycount and more beautiful females", then sure.

jediyoshi

Generational leap, and at least Ivy and Harley looked like, well, a plant person, and a harlequin themed villain, rather than a random redhead and a random whitefaced blonde.

Of course if your definition of "better designs" is "higher polycount and more beautiful females", then sure.

That's a lot from me posting images of the thing that's being discussed.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Ivy's skin is still green in AK it's just not oversaturated green, besides looking a lot more like a person and having a different hair style it's the same design. And Harley's color design in Arkham Knight has just as many Harley motifs as the other two.

And that's not really down to a generational leap, they could've had Harley and Ivy look like blow up dolls again, I mean, that'd look terrible, but they could've done it. No one would mistake Arkham Knight Harley with a "random whitefaced blonde."

It does my heart good when I see love for Origins. It's underappreciated in my opinion.

On topic I like how AK Poison Ivy looks far more than the previous ones. Harley Quinn too.

The model they use in Knight looks best, imo. He doesn't have that exaggerated trollface smile the Origins Joker has.

They did a great job with the proto-Joker outfit though.

I don't know about exaggerated. That smile was a big part of his appeal, they nailed it.

Honestly, Arkham Origins' Joker is the best Joker. I actually found him menacing more than in Asylum and certainly City (but again, he was sick so it is not really much of a comparison)

But the thing that Origins truly did amazingly well, is the first encounter between an inexperienced, arrogant Batman and a nihilistic Joker and how in just a few encounters, the Joker found purpose in Batman in a very twisted, concerning way.

But again, his smile is spot-on

Banned
I don't know about exaggerated. That smile was a big part of his appeal, they nailed it.

Honestly, Arkham Origins' Joker is the best Joker. I actually found him menacing more than in Asylum and certainly City (but again, he was sick so it is not really much of a comparison)

But the thing that Origins truly did amazingly well, is the first encounter between an inexperienced, arrogant Batman and a nihilistic Joker and how in just a few encounters, the Joker found purpose in Batman in a very twisted, concerning way.

But again, his smile is spot-on

That whole first Batman/Joker encounter and the subsequent conversation with Dr. Quinzel is freakin gold. Everyone finds their purpose in life.

KORNdoggy

Tbh i like all the designs bar batman himself. I get that there is a certain bulkiness and stylisation to everyone, but proportionally batman annoyed me, shoulders like canon balls and a really stiff, awkward stance. He just didn't look acrobatic and nimble at all. Be like arnie at his peak playing batman, it just looks dumb as fuck.

Banned
Tbh i like all the designs bar batman himself. I get that there is a certain bulkiness and stylisation to everyone, but proportionally batman annoyed me, shoulders like canon balls and a really stiff, awkward stance. He just didn't look acrobatic and nimble at all. Be like arnie at his peak playing batman, it just looks dumb as fuck.

I noticed this in Origins the most. In the opening scene where he's walking away from the camera towards the Batwing, he's built like a brick shithouse. It wouldn't take long to look at the bazillionaire who is also built like a brick shithouse and start to wonder. Of course, that's why I always liked Keaton in the role.

Spyderist

Banned
yeah, bruce wayne in this series was bulked up to all hell. It is understandable that they wanted to make the silhouette of Batman big and distinctive, and really couldnt just show off a lighter bruce wayne for those scenes though.

For the most part, I thought the girls in Batman Arkham Knight looked pretty good, except barbara.

Chao

Western AAA developers are bad at art and stylization.
They try to imitate reality way too hard without the resources or the know how and many fail miserably. Some succeed, but they're rare.

One exception is Naughty Dog, because even though they're tech wizards, they stylize their characters to not make them look like plastic dolls, but human beings.

Looking through the Arkham Knight character showcase right now and I have to say that, despite not liking the majority of the designs, Rocksteady really do a fantastic job with the tech and detailing. Seeing the stitching on a belt, drops of blood on Azrael's white hood and the dangling pieces of thread on Scarecrow's mask really just puts into perspective how much love and skill goes into these games. Just a shame that a few of the alternate batsuits look off because of Batman's wonky proportions.

I do hope WB Montreal are given enough time and resources to pull off something on this level with their upcoming Batman game. I really liked their art direction in Arkham Origins and the main characters in that game had some nice details but other characters, while designed better, did look a little rushed compared to Arkham City.
The model they use in Knight looks best, imo. He doesn't have that exaggerated trollface smile the Origins Joker has.

They did a great job with the proto-Joker outfit though.
Joker with a huge smile is best Joker.

I remember when they couldn't fit The Penguin into Asylum's gritty atmosphere, now he appears in every game because Nolan North can do a funny cockney accent.

Penguin wasn't in Asylum because he's not insane, so he goes to Blackgate when Batman catches him.

It was Christopher Nolan who said he couldn't fit Penguin into the tone of his series.

Nokterian

I love Origins, people really need to play it a shame that all abilities are locked behind a xp bar but overal the game took me by surprise.

Tyaren

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I actually really like the Joker look for Origins.

Jocelyn Zeller in general does very aesthetic character modelling. All the characters look good and even the ones that are supposed to look ugly, look aesthetically ugly, if that makes sense. ;)

jocelyn-jocz-zeller-harleyquinn-dlc-fullbody-unreal.jpg

jocelyn-jocz-zeller-catwoman90s-dlc-fullbody-unreal.jpg

Jocz_BAO_Joker02_1600.jpg

Jocz_BAO_Bane02_1600.jpg

Top Bottom