• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I play way too many video games because even ChatGPT is struggling to find suggestions for me that I haven't played already

Wildebeest

Follow-up questions. After the first pass, tell it you have played all of them, ask for more like one of them, ask it for less obvious suggestions with really specific features.

Drizzlehell

Banned
What do you mean with "even"? You are asking the AI to guess something. It can't be better or worse than any human in guessing. An AI doesn't have better or worse luck.
You'd be surprised how good it is at guessing sometimes.

I once fed it with a vague description of a scene in an obscure sci-fi book and it correctly identified what it was.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Any person would have the same chances.
Not sure how it changes what I said but ok.

Follow-up questions. After the first pass, tell it you have played all of them, ask for more like one of them, ask it for less obvious suggestions with really specific features.
Alright, I actually went with your idea and provided it with more specifics and introduced some more variables (eg. I told it that it can include MMOs). Here's what I got this time:

The Technomancer
Everspace
Star Wars: The Old Republic
The Surge

Save for Technomancer, those are actually some suggestions that I can use. I vaguely remember playing them for a short while before setting them aside for something else but I never actually finished any of these. Also, I just found that Everspace devs made a sequel and it's actually a story driven RPG/looting game, unlike the first one which was a roguelike. Not only that, it's only days away from coming out of Early Access.

I think I found my choice, then.

I also found this thing in the meantime, which also seems to tick off most of the boxes that I wanted.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well, in the topic title you write "even chatGPT is struggling" which make it look like you initially thought it would have better chances.

Or maybe i'm reading it wrong.
I've been playing with it for the past few weeks for a project that I'm working on, and so far it's been really spot on whenever I asked it to find something for me. Even being able to fish out really obscure things that I wasn't able to find myself through Google searches before. It can do so much more than just google things for you which is why I said that "even it was struggling" because I gave it rather challenging parameters that were bordering on "I'm bored, amuse me".

I'm basically testing the limits of what it can do in a way.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
That would work, for sure!

He also said he’d played “ all the games” :) Thought id expand his repertoire.
Would you believe me if I told you that the only game from that list that I don't recognize is Mega lo Mania?

Yes, I'm old enough to remember the days of C64 and Amiga, lol.

Havoc2049

Retro
Starflight
Starflight 2
Star Control
Star Control 2
Sundog: Frozen Legacy
Star Command
Phantasy Star 1-4
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed
Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter
Yager
Advent Rising

Contemporary
Elite Dangerous
Eve Online
Destiny 2
Dark Star One Broken Alliance

Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader

Imtjnotu

I gave it the following challenge:

"Is there an open world sci-fi game with a strong narrative and characters, similar in style to Assassin's Creed 2 but with guns?"

And it gave me the following options:
Mass Effect
Horizon Zero Dawn
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Prey
The Outer Worlds
Elex

And then it just started going in circles with those six options. All of which I already played, along with any sequels to those games.

The only sequel that I haven't played yet is Elex II but the first game wasn't really my cup of tea and after playing a bit of Elex's II trial, I figured it's just more of the same so I'm not really interested.

On one hand it's pretty baller that I have enough free time to game so much, but on the other it sucks that there's barely anything left out there to surprise me, and I'm doomed to replay the same games until something new comes around later this year, hopefully good enough to grab my attention.
grade A cringe

Thanati

Would you believe me if I told you that the only game from that list that I don't recognize is Mega lo Mania?

Yes, I'm old enough to remember the days of C64 and Amiga, lol.
Oh man, check it out. It’s by Sensible Software (Sensible soccer people) and is crazy fun.

Also, for PC, check out, Homeworld (if you already haven’t).

Top Bottom