• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I tried to cook from raw ingrediants... again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
e881b6395c74300bfb5b1bc19de106e5.jpg

I'm sure, maybe at least one of you, remember my Salmon and Chips fail.

Now, long story short, I didn't learn my lesson. I decided to make someone completely off recipe and instead try to use any knowledge gained from watching four of the latest seasons of Hell's Kitchen to come up with:

Aspara-Chicken with Lemon Butter

248198_921339364621006_4319531758716095899_n.jpg

12376693_921339394621003_5466417622706641449_n.jpg

This is the first time cooking since the Salmon and Chips fail. So I'm pretty happy it turned out better than I thought.

Recipe:

1. Prepare Chicken Breast by massaging Basil (and then) salt on it, then leave it sitting on the chopping board.

2. Prepare (A LOT) of butter on a smaller pan, and on the side (separate for now) fresh thyme. I used about 2 table spoons of the stuff. You don't need to separate the sticks from the leaves (?) so much, just don't overdo it on the sticks (it needs to dissolve).

3. Prepare half a Lemon, and separately, grate its zest (like one tablespoon full) for later.

(from here, it's just an order of events, most would just make sense if you know how to cook anything)

4. Prepare the Lemon Butter, squeezing the lemon into the melted butter and wait until you have that PERFECT balance. At the same time the Chicken can be seared a little and on low-heat waiting for the Lemon Butter to be ready.

5. When the balance between lemon and butter is good (like you can lick it and not feel sick) put all of the fresh thyme in and after a few seconds, pour about half of what you have prepared into the pan with the chicken.

6.i Cook the chicken beautifully with a little bit of olive oil (I got so fucking lucky, I remembered from Hell's Kitchen to check and how to put it back in the pan). Put the zest on top at the end of cooking the chicken, this is keep the theme of the meal the same even if the lemon butter is finished and all you have is just chicken on the plate.

! DO NOT SERVE PINK CHICKEN!!

6.ii Just before the chicken is done, asparagus slices go into the original Lemon Butter pan and cook through.

7. Transfer the chicken to a kitchen towel to remove the dripping lemon butter/olive oil from the BOTTOM only. Put on the plate, then put the asparagus on and the rest of the original lemon butter on the plate (but not over the chicken).

8. Finally put the baby spinach on top and bread straight from the oven on the plate (not too much) and serve it with some Rose (Cava Brut is good, but any Rose with bubbles will be fine really) with some bread on the side.

--

As it turns out, watching Inside Out! actually does inspire sexy time.

Maybe you should avoid movies for children if you want sexy time?

Which BTW was an amazing movie. We totally cried though...

--

But bragging about how awesome your cooking just was a million times over and over, does not. Stay humble, that's what I need to learn.

%EC%B9%98%ED%82%A8%EB%B3%B4%EB%AF%B8.gif

XD

The Wall

Banned
Looks delicious, and you even got a tasty looking table wine to go with it. :9

The title made me worry for a second that you were on a raw food diet and were trying to prepare raw chicken for consumption.....

Izuna

Banned
Grimløck;190059065 said:
that single spinach leaf is a nice touch.

Hell's Kitchen is where I learnt all my skills, I recommend it.

(there is a whole packet of spinach in the fridge, no clue what to do with it.)

ALSO! I forgot to mention. Asparagus is almost impossible for find in Tokyo, like WTF? We had to go to three different supermarkets.

Izuna

Banned
Did you turn her inside out?

In Japan, they call it Inside Head.

(first to quote me with a picture of sadness drawn in paint gets a download code for the move that came with my BluRay)

Looks fine, i bet it smelled wonderful and congrats on the successful meal. Keep it up, you'll get better with practice :)

OH YES. Actually, my partner didn't know why I was preparing the zest. She was like, o_O? When I did I made her smell the zest and that's where the hype came from.

entremet

Great job, OP.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes.

That's how you learn. You develop judgment and poise by making those mistakes and learning from them.

The Wall

Banned

Cook it down with some butter, garlic, salt, pepper, zucchini, lemon, olives, parsley (etc) and serve on some whole wheat pasta with olive oil and parmesan. Make a cream-based sauce if you're ambitious.

Or, cook it down with some cut up sausages, onions, garlic, tomato paste, peppers, seasoning, etc.

Cook it with other strong, sometimes bitter greens like dandelion, kale, beets, etc, and season with a bit of vinegar, lots of garlic, butter, some salt & pepper.

Greddleok

Those plates are gross man. What is with people and brightly patterned plates? Nothing puts me off my food more, than a crazy pattern that distracts from the food and makes the whole thing look messy. You had a stylish meal otherwise! There's a good reason top tier restaurants use white plates.

Other than that, good job.

Izuna

Banned
Cook it down with some butter, garlic, salt, pepper, zucchini, lemon, olives, parsley (etc) and serve on some whole wheat pasta with olive oil and parmesan. Make a cream-based sauce if you're ambitious.

Or, cook it down with some cut up sausages, onions, garlic, tomato paste, peppers, seasoning, etc.

Cook it with other strong, sometimes bitter greens like dandelion, kale, beets, etc, and season with a bit of vinegar, lots of garlic, butter, some salt & pepper.

Saved.

Thanks a bunch. (might be a challenge...)

Those plates are gross man. What is with people and brightly patterned plates? Nothing puts me off my food more, than a crazy pattern that distracts from the food and makes the whole thing look messy. You had a stylish meal otherwise! There's a good reason top tier restaurants use white plates.

Other than that, good job.

Not my fault 😐

It's kawaii because the owner likes kawaii shit. Sadly it hides the lemon butter that we dipped the bread into. We literally ran out of a whole baguette with that stuff.

The Wall

Banned
Saved.

Thanks a bunch. (might be a challenge...)

Everything has a simplier variation that usually can be made with ingredients on hand unless you don't keep much stocked at once. I tend to cook without a recipe but can explain better if it helps at all. O.O

I also like getting a pre-made pizza crust, putting down some hummus as "sauce", then cooking some spinach down with butter and putting it on as the second layer before topping it with red onions, thin sliced peppers, mushrooms, etc- variation on vegetarian pizza.

The Wall

Banned
I agree. I just think even as a joke "turning someone inside out" is an unkind way to talk about women. Agree to disagree, I guess.

The only time I have ever heard the phrase "turned inside out" used was very, very literal so when it's used to refer to doing something to a woman I just kind of.... back away, even if it's not meant literally.

Izuna

Banned
The only time I have ever heard the phrase "turned inside out" used was very, very literal so when it's used to refer to doing something to a woman I just kind of.... back away, even if it's not meant literally.

Turning her inside out, in context of the film, could just be that I got her to be comfortable expressing her emotions, which led to a special moment in which she was able to share a romantic time without the many fears that people can have with sex.

So...

sirap

Easiest way to cook delicious chicken (besides deep frying, yuck)

1) Chop garlic and onions and throw them in a non-stick pan with a little bit of olive oil and at low heat.

2) While you wait for the onions to caramelize, start preparing your chicken. Season it with salt, pepper and whatever herbs/rub you want.

3) When the onions start turning dark, crank up the heat and place the chicken in your pan and let it cook the skin & outer areas. Give each side of the chicken about 1 minute.

4) When both sides are brown, turn the heat to low-medium and put a lid on your pan. Let the chicken cook for 10 minutes. This will dissolve the flavors from the garlic, onion and release the chicken's natural oil, making a tasty gravy.

5) After 10 minutes, lift the lid up and flip the chicken. Turn off the heat and close the lid again. Leave it for another 10 minutes and let it cook itself from it's own steam.

6) That's it. I was blown away at how easy this was. The only hard part was cutting onions (damn tears). Besides that, all I had to do was wait for 20 minutes :p

MilkyJoe

ALSO! I forgot to mention. Asparagus is almost impossible for find in Tokyo, like WTF? We had to go to three different supermarkets.

put a glug of that wine into the pan you cooked the chicken in, then chuck in some of the spinach and mix it into the wine and reduce.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Looks like a decent meal, I'd have gone with a couple of asparagus sticks too but that's just me.

Though I have to say if you are so inexperienced with cooking, start simple and move on up.

Burger

Dude those plates. Nobody gives a shit about your chicken because those plates are bugging them the fuck out. What are you talking about plate owner. You need to own that shit and get some plates you can eat off.

I just noticed you have weird flatware too. Sort that shit out.

Izuna

Banned
Dude those plates. Nobody gives a shit about your chicken because those plates are bugging them the fuck out. What are you talking about plate owner. You need to own that shit and get some plates you can eat off.

I just noticed you have weird flatware too. Sort that shit out.

I was implying that I'm not in my home.

Burger

I was implying that I'm not in my home.

Usually other people cook for you if you visit their home.

Your chicken looked okay though, some minor criticisms:

-Cook chicken in a well oiled HOT pan, never on a low heat.
-Bread should be in a basket on the table for sharing, never on the plate.
-You need more sides with your dish. Try some cherry tomatoes cut in half with some olive oil, garlic and salt, put in a little tin foil bed and roast at about 140C for 30 mins. A single stick of asparagus ain't gonna meet your 5 a day.
-You could have made your chicken into an escalope, would have looked and tasted nicer. Put between 2 sheets of cling film and bash with rolling pin until it's about 5-6mm thick.

Izuna

Banned
Usually other people cook for you if you visit their home.

Your chicken looked okay though, some minor criticisms:

-Cook chicken in a well oiled HOT pan, never on a low heat.
-Bread should be in a basket on the table for sharing, never on the plate.
-You need more sides with your dish. Try some cherry tomatoes cut in half with some olive oil, garlic and salt, put in a little tin foil bed and roast at about 140C for 30 mins. A single stick of asparagus ain't gonna meet your 5 a day.
-You could have made your chicken into an escalope, would have looked and tasted nicer. Put between 2 sheets of cling film and bash with rolling pin until it's about 5-6mm thick.

We're partners and I'm like, living here for the holidays.

Anyways

1. I heated the oil up actually, but the lemon-butter wasn't done so I waited. This is an error because the lemon butter actually can stay in for a while, I should have done it first.

2&3. Really good advice. Though I don't know if cherry tomatoes would have fit the flavour. I really wanted more Asparagus while eating, so yeah. I think there is a seed I had somewhere that would go well too.

I'm am not a chef at all but cooking for a girl is super awesome. She makes mean tofu burgers (my honest to god fav, 50% beef).

The Wall

Banned
Turning her inside out, in context of the film, could just be that I got her to be comfortable expressing her emotions, which led to a special moment in which she was able to share a romantic time without the many fears that people can have with sex.

So...

Sorry, it reminds me of something that happened to an animal that got in around some machinery and piping where it shouldn't have. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom