• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want a Lost Odyssey PC port

I remember reading about that, but pretty sure this feature was added after the game's release, right? I'm sure it wasn't a thing when I was playing.

Yes, sadly it was not implemented back then. But at least if we get the game on Xbox One BC it should have significantly shorter load times.

Anteater

yeah each area has a level limit where you start getting crap exp, I kind of like that since it stops you from overleveling when trying to grind for skills/or doing whatever, and other party members can catch up in level fast.

blue dragon is better with encounters though, you can grind for skill points without entering battle and you can see enemies on screen

I had a good time with both Mistwalker games, although I find both games' story to be weak

Banned
As long as it comes with a fast mode for battles. 2x-3x should be enough. Loading would be improved on SSD's too. I'm down.

LiK

Yep, one of my other gripes with the game - an RPG where you can't grind to get ahead of the curve. Over-levelled? Fuck-all exp for you then.

Haha, ok good. Glad I wasn't misremembering. Yea, fighting the early bosses without a full party was pretty punishing without the ability to grind.

Dineren

Banned
While I'd love this on PC, I'll take it wherever I can get it so I hope at the very least they eventually make it compatible with the Xbox one BC.

While I'd love this on PC, I'll take it wherever I can get it so I hope at the very least they eventually make it compatible with the Xbox one BC.

The thing is, that for me, PERSONALLY and considering that I would buy a xbone down the line, I prefer immensely to have a virtual library that I just download from.

For at least another 10 years I'll have to move frenquently (each two years maybe, academic work sucks) and having to deal with consoles AND discs is just too much. I think that next time I have to move I'll just take my PS3 back home for good and I sold my Bloodborne disc to buy the digital GOTY edition... so yeah, having it in my steam library would be 10x better!

Basically, this game was the one unplayed regret I had about selling my 360 a few years ago. Everything else I either played or can be obtained elsewhere. So I hope it's one day ported or at least BC.

Dineren

Banned
The thing is, that for me, PERSONALLY and considering that I would buy a xbone down the line, I prefer immensely to have a virtual library that I just download from.

For at least another 10 years I'll have to move frenquently (each two years maybe, academic work sucks) and having to deal with consoles AND discs is just too much. I think that next time I have to move I'll just take my PS3 back home for good and I sold my Bloodborne disc to buy the digital GOTY edition... so yeah, having it in my steam library would be 10x better!

Oh I definitely agree. Part of the reason I prefer the PC by far over everything else is the fact that my entire library is always available. It's pretty amazing being able to play games that are 30 years old on the same device I'm playing a brand new release without having to buy it again. I always buy multi-platform games on PC if possible.

That said, I don't think it is ever going to happen and the only way I'll replay it is if it is available on a console I have hooked up.

But it would be a digital title on Xbox One.

e90Mark

My favorite JRPG on the 360. I would definitely buy a PC port if it was ever announced. Don't think I'd play it again as a BC title on the xbo.

Garlador

Put it on PC.

Put it on Xbox One.

Put it on PS4. Put it on Wii U. Put it on Vita. Put it on 3DS. Put it on a T-81 calculator. I don't care if Microsoft published it.

The world needs more of this game, wherever they can put it.

Put it on PC.

Put it on Xbox One.

Put it on PS4. Put it on Wii U. Put it on Vita. Put it on 3DS. Put it on a T-81 calculator. I don't care if Microsoft published it.

The world needs more of this game, wherever they can put it.

Yeah, I think it didn't quite reach its audience on the 360 despite the die hard fanbase. It's not remembered or revered by as nearly as many people as it should be.

LiK

Yeah, I think it didn't quite reach its audience on the 360 despite the die hard fanbase. It's not remembered or revered by as nearly as many people as it should be.

It was on 360 and Sony fanboys were shitting on it hard. Those were the days.

Garlador

It was on 360 and Sony fanboys were shitting on it hard. Those were the days.

I only owned an Xbox 360 at the time, loved the game to pieces, but I openly admit that it was on the "wrong system".

It a brilliant game by the creators of Final Fantasy made to appeal directly to the Japanese audience.... and they just plain ignored it. It was on the Xbox 360 and, well, Japan just wasn't interested in that system, no matter what games came out on it (see also: Blue Dragon, Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, etc.)

If LO had come out on PS3, it definitely would have found a much stronger, larger audience. Granted, with Microsoft publishing it, that never was going to happen, but the game definitely deserved better.

Vhalyar

Don't think I could bear to replay the game. The battle system just deflates any and all enthusiasm I have; it's such a boring one.

That leaves the main story and one offs, but someone already linked the youtube compilation.

Subaru

I would totally buy a Lost Odyssey remaster. Better framerate and fastest loading times would make a big difference in this game.

It is wonderful, my favorite jrpg from the last gen.

Oh, and that transition from the opening to gameplay is magnificent. I think it was my last "wow" playing videogames.

JD_Lars

This could have been a much better game but the pacing and the characters (for the most part) are pretty terrible.

Game: "Looks like you're tired of fighting all these enemies with high magic defense with only Kaim in the party as an attacker. We're sorry. But guess what? We've got a new character for you!"

You: "Yes! Finally! Another attacker?! Or-or-or maybe a speedy character who's good with items?! As long as they have good physical defense then I don't ca-..."

Game: "SURPRISE! It's another mage! Aren't you lucky?!?"

You: "....god dammit...."

Man that game was pretty and had fun combat, but it was such a grind and the villains were so lame I ended up giving up on the game. What a waste.

anaron

why the hell this and blue dragon aren't on steam is infuriating. :(

it's so sad that while it was wonderful that MS funded these games, the platform totally deflated it for Japan.

duckroll

why the hell this and blue dragon aren't on steam is infuriating. :(

Why stop there? Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden Black aren't on Steam either? Halo 3? Gears of War 2? Why not just list the entire first party 360 catalog?????????? Lol.

Shifty1897

Vanquish PC is just a matter of time.

65874759.jpg

JD_Lars

Why stop there? Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden Black aren't on Steam either? Halo 3? Gears of War 2? Why not just list the entire first party 360 catalog?????????? Lol.

Actually I'd take any Panzer Dragoon on any console/PC.

I can't find a decent copy of Orta for a reasonable price and I can't afford to buy a Saturn and the other titles.

Vice

I can't find a decent copy of Orta for a reasonable price and I can't afford to buy a Saturn and the other titles.

Which country are you located in? Orta is available used, with case and manual, for below $20 on Amazon.

Now that the 360 is more than a decade old and has become basically irrelevant in the software marketplace, it may be actually feasible to bring some of their old, 1st-party 360 exclusives to the new-gen and recoup some extra profit.

Fable Anniversary sold 270K according to SteamSpy, for example. That's nearly $10 million in revenue (before Steam's cut):

http://steamspy.com/app/288470

I don't know much about the 360 hardware-wise, but isn't it similar to a PC? Because if they can do a cheap port without requiring a significant amount of effort, some of the lower-selling titles like Lost Odyssey might be viable in terms of ROI.

duckroll

So would I! I'm just pointing out that BD and LO are hardly unique in terms of Xbox and 360 games which should be preserved in some form but well, it sucks but I don't think MS cares.

Lol, agreed with first party but both Panzer Dragoon and the Ninja Gaiden games actually qualify as they're third party IP's and way past their console generation for exclusivity. We can hope at least SEGA with their PC ports initiative that someday a PD collection (including Saga) and KoeiTec won't invest in porting their back catalogue but has a hit ir miss chance at future titles. I'll include MGS4 as well. A legacy collection for PC/Xbox/NX (a return of Metal Gear on Nintendo platforms) would be wonderful (but Konami...) for the consumers to get the full experience and not isolated ones like TPP+GZ, Rising and HD collection.

Ichabod

Banned
Absolutely loved the game. The soundtrack is masterful and the battle theme is one of my favorite rpg battle themes of all time. The novelist-written story vignettes were excellent and, at times, heart wrenching; this is coming from someone who has a low tolerance for frivolous text in games. I got to the final dungeon but had to stop playing and then lent the game to a cousin who never returned it. Needless to say, I'd love the chance to revisit it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Now that the 360 is more than a decade old and has become basically irrelevant in the software marketplace, it may be actually feasible to bring some of their old, 1st-party 360 exclusives to the new-gen and recoup some extra profit.

I don't think their ability to profit off a port was ever in doubt. Actually I think pretty much any port of pretty much any game to pretty much any system that's an ongoing concern is going to be revenue-positive. I think the bigger issue is ROI: $10,000,000 isn't a lot of money when it means tying up staff and producers. Microsoft downsized their 1st party producer stable significantly at the beginning of the gen (transitioning away from assigning MGS producers to every indie game to ID@XBOX accounts for much of this reduction). It's notable that Microsoft has been among publishers that have done the least PC porting and haven't done any late ports of catalogue titles.

Hell, Fable 3 (which I think sold upper 6-figures or lower 7 on PC) ran out of keys and Microsoft couldn't even allocate a programmer to remove GFWL and put the game back on sale.

I also think with MS, the divided loyalty internally between actually supporting their software and using their software in a vain effort to push dead-end storefronts like the Windows 10 App Store is still a problem. We saw it with Windows 7, where they published quality first-party game apps and deliberately didn't release them on iOS or Android where they would actually sell. Later on they partially changed their tune, but with the release of Windows 10 and Windows Phone 10 devices they seem back on the bandwagon that they should be willing to sacrifice their software to push their platforms. I think that's a bad trade personally but it seems to be where they'd be.

I think the question of whether or not they will continue releasing any software on Steam is a more manageable one than whether they'll greenlight new software specifically to take advantage of the Steam long tail.

Belmonte

From time to time I think of buying a 360 to play it. Would be really happy to see a PC port! Day one for me.

Is there any technical issue with the game impeding the port? Seems to me that JRPGs sells well enough on PC since we have so many ports on the last years. Even Dragon Quest is on PC! C'mon Sakaguchi San! 360s are expensive in my country yet!

Jagz

Our only hope is Xenia atm. Shame the game never came to PS3, it likely would have been playable through RPCS3.

Top Bottom