• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want all of you guys to buy "Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise"

Barsinister

Banned
I asked the Gamestop employee what game he was enjoying at the moment and he said, "Fist of the North Star". He described it a bit, saying it was an adventure/fighting game. I bought it on his suggestion and started to play. It is the single greatest thing I have ever played. I had no knowledge of where this crazy world came from when I started it. I didn't know what that "You are already dead" meme was....I could kick myself.

I loved Kung-Fu movies growing up. Watched them every Sunday. For whatever reason, I always thought Japanese cartoons were for perverts. I had no interest in them. When a buddy of mine had to rush home because he "Had to watch Robotech", we made fun of him for years after. I take that back a little. I saw "Ninja Scroll" and loved it.

Fist of the North Star is a mix of kung-fu and "Mad Max". Ken, the main character, can kill a man with a single touch. And not just kill them, make them explode. Like in "Punisher: War Zone" where the Punisher punches a guy's face off. It is the most hilarious and over the top thing I have seen in a while. I liked playing the game so much, I found the cartoon on Amazon Prime and watched that too!

The way Ken takes no responsibility for killing everyone because he warns them first....The way he is so serious. I love it!! This is my new favorite thing. I have been telling everyone who will listen about it. If you love over the top violence and silliness, please do yourself the favor and buy this game!!!

For those of you who watched the cartoon, does he ever find his girlfriend?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Already did and LOOOOOOVED it. Its best game based on anime/Manga I ever played.
For those of you who watched the cartoon, does he ever find his girlfriend?
He does but Yuria dies from illness later on but she and Ken lived peaceful life in her last moments.:messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
I don't know whether to feel happy for you that your eyes are now open or feel sad that you missed out on one the grandfathers of anime all this time.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Got bored with it by Chapter 4. Way too many cut scenes and even more dialogue scenes and the combat wasn't engaging.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Im gonna get the chance, even i was to buy the ps3 versions of the games.

But i will go for the PS4.

I watch the ova 80´s and i like it at lot!

Danjin44

Does Ken say "You Are already dead" in the game? If not, no buy.
He does in one of his finishing moves.
Got bored with it by Chapter 4. Way too many cut scenes and even more dialogue scenes and the combat wasn't engaging.
The game starts slow but to me gets really good one it get going and once you unlock more moves the combat becomes super fun.

Barsinister

Banned
I don't know whether to feel happy for you that your eyes are now open or feel sad that you missed out on one the grandfathers of anime all this time.

I was the perfect age for this when it was new. It's weird to have nostalgia for a thing that I didn't even see at the time.

Stuart360

I watched a playthrough of this, and i thought it was pretty awful. The dialogue is just bad. Did quite like the manga when i saw it years ago though.

Game is great fun if you have the warm fuzzies for the source material. As a game on it's own merits, I thought it was average at best. I've never played a Yakuza game, but a lot of people say this is just Yakuza with a an Fist of the North Star skin.
I bought it on sale and enjoyed it, but not enough to make me want to play a Yakuza game.

Halo0629

Bought it a while back since I'm a fan of yakuza type gameplay, I'll buy it again if it gets ported to steam.

Barsinister

Banned
I watched a playthrough of this, and i thought it was pretty awful. The dialogue is just bad. Did quite like the manga when i saw it years ago though.

It is bad, but it's the best kind of bad. In this game you play as a character who can make his enemies explode with his fists! My buddy told me today that his favorite game growing up was the NES version. I had no idea it was even a thing.

Game is great fun if you have the warm fuzzies for the source material. As a game on it's own merits, I thought it was average at best. I've never played a Yakuza game, but a lot of people say this is just Yakuza with a an Fist of the North Star skin.
I bought it on sale and enjoyed it, but not enough to make me want to play a Yakuza game.

I had no knowledge of the source material and I love it! I am at the part where the city just went dark for the first time and it lights up. I got to be a bartender in a bar, "You are already drunk". It's great! Oh! And going to the old baseball field!! This is what gaming is to me and it's perfect!!

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Of the ps3 version what game is better

fist_of_the_north_star__2009_-1715095.jpg

or

imagen-i8133-pge.jpg

Danjin44

The Ken's Rage games have much smoother controls and flows better than the stiff horribly camera'd Push Square fests in Lost Paradise.
I personally never was in to DW combat system I'm much more in to Yakuza combat system in Lost Paradise. Also only you stoped in chapter 4, you barely experience full combat system in this game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Haha. Will be starting this later tonight.

Enjay

Banned
I personally never was in to DW combat system I'm much more in to Yakuza combat system in Lost Paradise. Also only you stoped in chapter 4, you barely experience full combat system in this game.
Oh okay, so at best be prepared to have the game suck for the first half of it then.

blackjon24

or

imagen-i8133-pge.jpg

Kens rage is the better game. Don’t be fooled by the faster paced combat of ken rage 2. So much of the depth from the original is gone and makes character a lot less fun to play. The leveling system is less interesting and some specials are missing in the sequel. I definitely recommend the first game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hokuto No Ken was the reason I bought a Japanese PS2. The game needed some patches if you're skilled enough to break it. But overall it's an amazing fighting game. I also have the PS1 Hokuto No Ken. Which has some awesome dubbing for a PS1 game.

The latter I just skipped. I had my fare share of the franchise. I'm glad to see more fans. Please skip the North American film adaptation.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Were these ever brought to America? I am intrigued.

Yes, but i dont like the cover art of America

81gdhkGHevL._AC_SX215_.jpg

You know, this games the number of print is limited, i prefer the European Edition.

Kens rage is the better game. Don’t be fooled by the faster paced combat of ken rage 2. So much of the depth from the original is gone and makes character a lot less fun to play. The leveling system is less interesting and some specials are missing in the sequel. I definitely recommend the first game.

Thank you such much, i think the same, dont know why but i like the first one.

Danjin44

I love to see Yakuza team do JoJo game next, that would be glorious.

Last edited:

Barsinister

Banned
Maybe I should have watched a YouTube video first........

Aw, I like Dynasty Warriors games good enough. I liked the Zelda one so much I bought it twice. I think the theme helps alot with those types of games.

Oh, my goodness! It's perfect. With the rock and roll and everything!!

Last edited:

Petrae

or

imagen-i8133-pge.jpg

Ken’s Rage 2 is the better game, with a bit more content than the first. Both are VERY Musou-driven, though, so if you don’t like that kind of combat... stay away. Personally, I enjoyed both and keep hoping that they get the backwards compatibility treatment from MS.

Lost Paradise releasing in a year that saw two major Western entries in the Ryu ga Gotoku series has caused it to fall into my backlog. I'll eventually get around to seriously playing it, though.

QgVYAM5.gif

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Played the demo and i loved it but i have way too many games to play right now.It's definitely on my plans to buy it at some point though.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I started watching the original anime last year. It is incredible.

Feel like it is hugely influential, you can feel it in everything from Streets of Rage to Godhand

blackjon24

I'm a little to burned out by yakuza type games to really put the time into this one for the time being but definitely something I will do eventually.

One thing that turns me off the game is kenshiro being the only playable character? My favourite part of the series is the many great characters with awesome distinct fighting styles and that was well represented in ken's rage. Hopefully a sequel will address this.

YES! I played it with JP voice.
Will have to jump in on this then.

I’ve actually been rewatching Fist recently as it had been a long time since I had seen it, and I forgot how amazing it was.

I’m a huge fan of the Yakuza games as well so this seems right up my alley.

If it hits $20 again I’m in.

Ken’s Rage 2 is the better game, with a bit more content than the first. Both are VERY Musou-driven, though, so if you don’t like that kind of combat... stay away. Personally, I enjoyed both and keep hoping that they get the backwards compatibility treatment from MS.
Ken's Rage is one of my favorite Musou games (though it barely qualifies as Musou). Ken's Rage 2 is an embarrassment to the franchise and one of the few Musou games I outright hate (Berserk is the other, and largely for the same reasons). KR2 is more cutscene than game and the game is mostly just a series of arena fights in small rooms. It's terrible.

Kazza

I another one of those people waiting on a steam version.

It seemed to get pretty positive reviews (the below two in particular were very enthusiastic). I wonder how it sold?

Danjin44

I wonder how it sold?
Just like Valkyria Chronicles 4, another great game that mostly got ignored.
giphy.gif

To think broken ass game like Fallout 76 sells more than these two fantastic games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom