• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to play Silent Hill 2. Should I just get Silent Hill HD Collection?

Preamble. There are a few people in the video game industry that I admire and respect, even if I sometime disagree with their opinions, that love games that I've never played. Hearing several Japanese developers rave about Out of This World (or Another World) a few years ago got me to buy it for the iPad and eventually the SNES. I slogged through 30 hours of Chrono Cross because of a tweet by Leigh Alexander, and if you don't know, she recently wrote a short story that you can buy that is inspired by Silent Hill 2. So, I figured now is the time for me to journey into one of my least favorite genres, survival horror, and conquer this game once and for all.

On to the actual point of this thread...

I know the HD Collection is poor, but how poor is it? To play Silent Hill 2 in its original way, I'm going to have to buy a used copy, buy some sort of VGA box that will let me connect a PS2 to a monitor and probably make the image very fuzzy, dig out the PS2 and all the cables, and play it that way. Or, I can just get the HD Collection. There's a cost and, more importantly, convenience charge to playing the original on my PS2. It seems to make much more sense to just buy the HD Collection and suffer through a poor framerate or whatever problems still exist after what I assume was an initial patch or two.

Is the problem with the HD Collection just that it is a subpar remastering, or is it plagued with bugs and crashes and things that will really ruin the game? And, how does the game hold up overall?

Stike

The "remaster" is terribly immersion-breaking. Avoid at all cost. Seriously, look to play it on PS2!

And this is THE ONE GAME where immersion and atmosphere are very important, trust me!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished it again a few weeks ago, both 2 & 3. They look better then when I had them on PS2. I didn't use the new voices at all. There were some slow downs in frame rates, but they weren't that noticeable off the
streets in SH2

I didn't bother checking out the dialogue they added, but I'd for sure get the HD collection if you wanted to replay both games.

Cudder

Every post in this thread will tell you no, but for a first timer, you're not going to notice any of the changes anyway. They fixed most things with SH2, SH3 is way worse.

Play with Original voices for your first time. Enjoy the story.

cerulily

Is the PC version of 2 and 3 better than the hd releases?

New voices are a crime, i cannot believe they changed the acting in

Gnilres

Haha, just googled it and according to the Destructoid review:

"Frankly, a disgustingly terrible job has been done with this package. Silent Hill 2 is especially bad, as the visual "upgrade" actually looks worse than its PlayStation 2 counterpart. The game's contrast has been altered to make everything unnecessarily darker, while its claustrophobic fog effects have been removed almost entirely. Not only does this diminish the atmosphere, it exposes a number of graphical errors that the effect existed to hide."

nononononono. Its got new voice acting and everything, you need to play the original, its leagues better. Think of it as Twin Snakes vs MGS1. Yeah Twin Snakes looks better but MGS1 is a much better game.

Plus you have no need to play Silent Hill 3.

Also don't listen to this guy. Silent Hill 3 is the shit.

Do you have a pc or original xbox? Both those versions are vastly superior to the hd remaster. It's shockingly bad.

Audioboxer

The PS3 version with the patch really isn't that bad. I completed it and still enjoyed it. You can use the old voices.

You know how everyone says Silent Hill 2 is really atmospheric and makes incredible use of the hardware to create a haunting world?

What if it didn't do any of that and instead were garbage

Because that is the grim reality SH HD Collection offers you a glimpse into

Compbros

If you're trying to get it on 360 then don't even bother.

Edit:
avoid the HD remaster for silent hill games. If you have a ps2 please get them for that platform. The 360 and ps3 remaster is sooo bad for those games man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2uPjw1eWCQ

PS3 got the final patch that made it muuuuuch better, the 360 never got the patch.

Another patch was announced by Konami on April 25th, 2012. It was released for the PlayStation 3 on July 11th, 2012. It fixed a number of problems such as the frame rate and lip sync which were greatly improved. Missing sounds and music had also been fixed along with the fog density issues. Other minor visual/audio problems were also improved.

The Xbox 360 patch was canceled on August 8th, 2012, due to "technical issues and resources" which made any attempts at resolving the problems ineffective.

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_HD_Collection#Technical_issues

Get the PC version of the original SH2... Yes it exists and it can be run at HD resolution with a controller , without the abysmal resigned sound and the terrible new voice acting...

ciddative

I will just add that if you can, the best option is PCSX2, it can be fairly demanding but if you have a fairly recent pc, it looks and runs STUNNINGLY

Zukuu

Banned
MwAvM.jpg

Am I better off playing the PS2 disc in a PC through an emulator? What is the success rate of playing PS2 games on the emulator these days anyway? Is PS2 game playback pretty stable?

Here's the hierarchy with the best experience at the top and the worst at the bottom:

PC version w/ mods

PS2 "Greatest Hits" version (has the content added to other versions that wasn't in the original)

PS2 original version

XBox version

Falling down eleven flights of stairs face-first

PS3 HD collection version

360 HD collection version

That scene is tedious either way. There's nothing real great
except getting an achievement for getting there in under 80 or 90 seconds?

All you do is row your boat towards a light off in the distance

It builds suspense you yutz
or it would if the water didn't look like a weird UFO death ray like it does in the HD version.

I don't know why you'd even want to play Silent Hill in HD. The fuzziness and slight static of the low resolution especially on a CRT just works so well with Silent Hill. It looks so much worse when its all sharp in HD.

Zukuu

Banned
Am I better off playing the PS2 disc in a PC through an emulator? What is the success rate of playing PS2 games on the emulator these days anyway? Is PS2 game playback pretty stable?
Make an image out of the PS2 Disc and play it via emulator. Success rate around 99.9% and it looks stunning downsampled.

I just watched the Two Best Friends Play of SH2 the other day. I forgot how utterly brilliant this game is. Please, don't do yourself a huge disservice by experiencing it the first time via the HD collection.

Fitts

SH2 "HD" is inarguably the worst way to experience the game whether one considers this version acceptable or not. SH3 "HD" is absolutely broken due to the fact that the original voices aren't included and the redub completely changes the tone of the game.

The games are completely ruined. They're buggy, run poorly, have sections completely ruined due to visual bugs and incorrect sound effects playing, the new voices are terrible and there's no option for the old ones in SH3, large portions of effects are missing. They're a complete god damn travesty. If you really care enough to play them this far after release then jump through whatever hoops you need to.

EDIT: Not to mention some new design decisions that actively ruin old scenes, like SH2s revelatory moment having most of the video just cut off by nonsensical borders.

Has anyone played the original Xbox version? I never see anyone mention it.

Edit.. except the person above me.

YO. It had a few technical quibbles but nothing huge and certainly nothing on the level of the HD collection abomination. Playing it on a 360 adds more problems though, emulation there is wonky.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Here's the hierarchy with the best experience at the top and the worst at the bottom:

PC version w/ mods

PS2 "Greatest Hits" version (has the content added to other versions that wasn't in the original)

PS2 original version

XBox version

Falling down eleven flights of stairs face-first

PS3 HD collection version

360 HD collection version

It builds suspense you yutz
or it would if the water didn't look like a weird UFO death ray like it does in the HD version.

I must be referring to the way you
row

Think of it as Twin Snakes vs MGS1. Yeah Twin Snakes looks better but MGS1 is a much better game.

You know how everyone says Silent Hill 2 is really atmospheric and makes incredible use of the hardware to create a haunting world?

What if it didn't do any of that and instead were garbage

Wow, that bad, huh? Maybe I should just bite the pricey and convoluted bullet and get the original version.

Also, I might play Silent Hill 3, so that being a bad port or not doesn't really sway me away from the HD Collection. I'm strictly inquiring about Silent Hill 2 and its quality in the HD Collection.

Fitts

The games are completely ruined. They're buggy, run poorly, have sections completely ruined due to visual bugs and incorrect sound effects playing, the new voices are terrible and there's no option for the old ones in SH3, large portions of effects are missing. They're a complete god damn travesty. If you really care enough to play them this far after release then jump through whatever hoops you need to.

EDIT: Not to mention some new design decisions that actively ruin old scenes, like SH2s revelatory moment having most of the video just cut off by nonsensical borders.

Holy shit I forgot about that! I take it back, SH2 HD is broken!

Wow, that bad, huh? Maybe I should just bite the pricey and convoluted bullet and get the original version.

Also, I might play Silent Hill 3, so that being a bad port or not doesn't really sway me away from the HD Collection.

Silent Hill 3 is the more ruined of the two. No option for the old voices and most of the visual effects are missing or nearly gone.

Alfredo

Sure, go head and play the HD collection if you don't have any other way to play it.

It might not be the most optimal way to play the game, but if you've got no other choice and want to play the game, okay.

Also, I think it would be very interesting to hear about someone's first time with SH2 through the HD Collection. I ONLY hear about people who have already played the original, and people just parrot back over and over how bad the new version is, but I want to know how someone going in clean would think of it.

Like, I played through Silent Hill 3 for the first time with the HD Collection on the 360, and besides a really crappy audio bug when playing New Game Plus with the infinite ammo SMG, I thought it was fine.

The PS3 version is supposedly better than the 360 version, because the 360 one didn't receive as many patches.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Also, I might play Silent Hill 3, so that being a bad port or not doesn't really sway me away from the HD Collection. I'm strictly inquiring about Silent Hill 2 and its quality in the HD Collection.

I didn't notice a lot of these complaints. I played the originals with an RF switch, so the graphics could look however they like. I didn't expect them to be completely redone.

Quikies83

They really are great on PC with some tinkering.. There is a step by step guide on GAF to run these on modern operating systems.

Edit: I recently re played through both of these. Xpadder is also helpful.

The PS3 version is supposedly better than the 360 version, because the 360 one didn't receive as many patches.

Thanks for reminding me. For what it is worth, I will be playing Silent Hill 2 on the PS3 if I go for the HD Collection route. I will not be playing it on the 360 OR THE PC.

Sure, go head and play the HD collection if you don't have any other way to play it.

It might not be the most optimal way to play the game, but if you've got no other choice and want to play the game, okay.

Also, I think it would be very interesting to hear about someone's first time with SH2 through the HD Collection. I ONLY hear about people who have already played the original, and people just parrot back over and over how bad it is, but I want to know how someone going in clean would think of it.

Like, I played through Silent Hill 3 for the first time with the HD Collection on the 360, and besides a really crappy audio bug when playing New Game Plus with the infinite ammo SMG, I thought it was fine.

That's just the thing. These two games are total pinnacles of their genre and are a combination of a huge amount of elements, with the audio-visual presentation and cohesive look and sound being a huge part of it. Them being "fine" isn't good enough. It's like saying that you saw Shawshank Redemption on a 18 inch CRT with a blown out left speaker and THAT was fine, right?

peronmls

Why? SH3 is just as good. 3 is worst in the collection than 2 is. You'd be a fool to buy the collection. SH3 has way better visuals than 2 and is way better looking than most PS3 game and is missing graphical effects in the HD collection. Anyone on hear will say that. SH3 is the PS2 hardware at it's limits and is the pinnacle of that gen. Don't be stubborn and just get the originals.
SH2=PS2 or PC (mods required)
SH3=PC

Like, I played through Silent Hill 3 for the first time with the HD Collection on the 360, and...I thought it was fine.

Children think McDonald's hamburgers are fine because they've never tasted a ribeye. What I'm trying to say is I actually feel sorry for you for experiencing SH3 first via the HD Collection.

Fitts

SH2 is the more popular of the two, but you really should play SH3. Many herald it as the best Silent Hill game and, if you're looking for horror/a sense of dread, it may be the scariest of the series in my opinion -- certainly more so than 2. However, I wouldn't play 3 if you haven't played 1 yet. You can really play 2 at any point as it's an outlier.

Personally, I don't have a favorite Silent Hill game. It could be any of 1-3 depending on what day you ask me. Just do yourself a favor and play them all. (and maybe 4)

Top Bottom