• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was pretty excited for Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Then I saw gameplay vids and...ugh

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The character facial animations and combat looked pretty terrible. The quests looked extremely bland. It looked like a shoddy version of an Elder Scrolls game. Is anyone excited for this? I'm still thinking about buying it and giving it a chance since I love open world games, but I hope there is more to it than I saw in the gameplay demos.

What are your feelings on this game?

Last edited:

Fbh

I really like the idea of having a medieval RPG that for a change isn't medieval fantasy. I think in general I'd like to see more games with historical settings that don't add fantasy or supernatural elements to the world (here's hoping ghost of tsushima doesn't add supernatural stuff).

But yeah, the gameplay videos I've seen (not that I've seen a lot) don't look too exciting. Combat looks really janky, quests don't seem like anything special and I've yet to see someone with the potential of being a memorable character.

Last edited:

e0n

The main thing that stands out to me is the game's focus on realistic mechanics like a limited inventory, no quest markers, and other parts that that affect immersion. That doesn't necessarily make the game more fun, though, and the other features the game touts aren't really new compared to existing open-world rpgs. That said, I don't really expect this game to be a huge hit when it comes out in a month from now due to those other points you mentioned.

sublimit

Banned
I was initially quite excited about it. The concept of experiencing a very faithful depiction of medieval times and being part of historically accurate events all sounded very appealing to me. I was also disappointed a bit by the facial animations but i think i will get used to them. It's the combat i'm not so sure about.I get that they are aiming for a very realistic approach but that can easily become tedious,boring and/or frustrating if it isn't well balanced.

But i'm still excited for this game and i have a feeling that if i stick with it it will grow on me and it will become a very unique experience. I'm really looking forward to immerse myself in its atmospheric setting and taste a tiny bit of what it was to live back then. The only reason i will not buy it on day 1 is because i want first to hear how it will run on a normal PS4. I will probably wait until it's sufficiently patched before i pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I backed it on Kickstarter, but dropped off following the video updates because there were so many of them. I’ve basically been on a blackout for about a year.

I’m still looking forward to it. I think the writing/story will be strong considering Daniel Vávra (the guy who wrote & directed Mafia & Mafia II) is at the helm.

My only problem is I’m about 40 hours into Xenoblade 2 and nowhere near finishing it, so this’ll have to go on the backlog if it comes out next month.

I’m in the mood for a realistic medieval open world game.

I know exactly how you feel. At one point, this was my most anticipated game. I've loved everything Daniel Vavra has been involved in.

However, the gameplay, specifically the combat system, looks dull, counterintuitive and unnatural. It's a shame because they're put so much effort into it, but I feel it just doesn't work from a first person perspective.

I'm used to Euro-jank so the facial animation doesn't bother me as much. The art design leaves a lot to be desired though. It's painfully bland. It makes Oblivion look unique and original.

I keep forgetting about the game and my interest is at its lowest. The fact that they keep pushing back the release date doesn't help.

120v

it's made by a smaller team so probably best to reign in your expectations a little. all things considered i'm fairly impressed with what they pulled off so far.

some recent videos kind of dampened my hype a bit but this is still my most anticipated game of 2018 so far. i just hope it runs well at launch

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I know exactly how you feel. At one point, this was my most anticipated game. I've loved everything Daniel Vavra has been involved in.

However, the gameplay, specifically the combat system, looks dull, counterintuitive and unnatural. It's a shame because they're put so much effort into it, but I feel it just doesn't work from a first person perspective.

I'm used to Euro-jank so the facial animation doesn't bother me as much. The art design leaves a lot to be desired though. It's painfully bland. It makes Oblivion look unique and original.

I keep forgetting about the game and my interest is at its lowest. The fact that they keep pushing back the release date doesn't help.
Fair enough. Are you aware that they are going for as historically accurate a setting as possible though? Bland it may be, but I assume there’s not much to work with trawling through history books to find what slavic medieval times looked like. The clothes, the dwellings etc. sometimes real life isn’t exciting.

Raptomex

I really like the idea of having a medieval RPG that for a change isn't medieval fantasy. I think in general I'd like to see more games with historical settings that don't add fantasy or supernatural elements to the world (here's hoping ghost of tsushima doesn't add supernatural stuff).
I'd like to see this as well. It sounds like you may enjoy the Mount & Blade games, if you don't already.

Dargor

Honestly, I find the combat a little overdesigned, but I still think it will be fun.

To me, the thing that made me lose a bit of interest in the game is just a nitpick, in fact, that in other games really wouldn't even be a problem since I'm not really a fan of such mechanics, but it seems that in this game there will be no crafting/smithing, but when the main character is supposedly a good blacksmith and all, it really came as a surprise, but I'll still buy it.

Fair enough. Are you aware that they are going for as historically accurate a setting as possible though? Bland it may be, but I assume there’s not much to work with trawling through history books to find what slavic medieval times looked like. The clothes, the dwellings etc. sometimes real life isn’t exciting.

You're right. I suppose I'm being overly critical.

Also, I had no idea that the game is coming out in a month. I'm glad to hear it. Wonder how many unnecessary updates they can squeeze in before then lol.

Kadayi

Banned
I backed it on Kickstarter so I'm already committed. Mechanistically it reminds me somewhat of Mount & Blade, which tbh isn't a great game in the looks stakes, but is fantastic in terms of the gameplay, and I'm kind of expecting KKD to be along those lines (though a lot better looking). It's not going to match the Witcher 3 when it comes to narrative and animations, but I expect it to be something different and I'm prepared to give it a go.

Last edited:

Bl@de

It‘s an independent kickstarter project. Of course there are going to be drawbacks. I also expect a lot of bugs and improving performance after release. Still my most anticipated game of 2018 but I‘m going to wait for impressions and some patches.

JaxBriggs

I'm looking forward to it but I'm worried about the combat. It reminds me a lot of Skyrim's melee combat which I thought was the weakest part of the game.

RavageX

I like the fact that its set that the world doesnt revolve around your character.

I like that they are going for realism. Things I don't care for/concerned about would be it's in first person.

I don't particularly care for that point of view, I like to see my character/armor....but I can live with it.

Combat is the main thing, it just doesn't look smooth.

CEJames

Are you able to use a bow or is it only melee?

Edit: Saw another video showing the use of a bow.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'd like to see this as well. It sounds like you may enjoy the Mount & Blade games, if you don't already.

Yeah I've actually wanted to try one of those out for a while now. Last year was a bit crazy with lots of releases I was looking forward to, but if this year has some slow months I'll check it out.

I guess what I want is a bit special since I love the idea of a more realistic setting but I don't really like realism in terms of gameplay. I kinda dislike games that are too realistic either in their combat or in their overall game mechanics (like being overly realistic with stamina, or how many items you can carry and stuff like that). I don't mind if the main character is unrealistically skilled and I actually think it's cool if there are some over the top setpiece moments, but I don't think that every game with knights and castles also needs magic and dragons or every game with a Samurai needs demons, jutsus and demonic weapons or every game with vikings needs to have them fighting trolls and ice monsters.

Tenshin

Really suprised they took the for honor combat mechanics, hoping the ai will be challenging but not cheap.

Donny K.

Neo Member

Its also a different matter how it feels and plays, at least for me. Recently, i tried quite a few games that i was "meh" about when checking footage or writing about it. I saw dozens of hours of gameplay about survival games, never was interested, and when i tried one, i totally felt in love with the genre.

Sometimes it feels like we are starting to play the "metagame" of reading and opinionating about games more then actually playing them. So i totally get where you are coming from with being superhyped and then falling off before even having played a game.

philm87

Really suprised they took the for honor combat mechanics, hoping the ai will be challenging but not cheap.

I don't think For Honor necessarily got in there first. This is a lot more detailed I think. Both expanded on the likes of Mount and Blade and Chivalry anyhow.

Facial animations did disappoint me to begin with, but then got used to seeing them. Much better than the likes of Deus Ex anyhow, just not up there with some of the best AAA games.

This is definitely one I'm not going to preorder without seeing some reviews and reactions, but still fairly excited for it. Good be a good gap filler before Mount and Blade 2.

Dunki

I don't think For Honor necessarily got in there first. This is a lot more detailed I think. Both expanded on the likes of Mount and Blade and Chivalry anyhow.

Facial animations did disappoint me to begin with, but then got used to seeing them. Much better than the likes of Deus Ex anyhow, just not up there with some of the best AAA games.

This is definitely one I'm not going to preorder without seeing some reviews and reactions, but still fairly excited for it. Good be a good gap filler before Mount and Blade 2.
After all the silence about games like a Hat in Time it will be interesting to see who will actually cover the game in any "OMG there are no poc characters in it" way)

Peroroncino

To me combat actually looks amazing, this is probably the first game where I'm really looking forward to FPP melee combat since Condemned, sure it looks a bit janky but the ideas there are simply so refreshing that I cannot pass it up.

Mahadev

I agree on the facial animations point but combat looks very very good imo. We'll see in practice soon I guess.

Top Bottom