• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Was Wrong About Breath of the Wild

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
With all of the latest media for Tears of the Kingdom, especially the final trailer, I started mulling over my dislike for BoTW.

I’ve bought the game twice, and tried I think now 6 times to get into it. The best I did was beat the first giga chad beast and get to the second one before dropping it.

There’s numerous reasons you’ve all probably heard here in the past so I’ll spare you. Generally my play sessions span around 15-25 minutes at most before putting it down.

Well with the hype for the sequel I wanted to give it a final whirl but this time via cemu. To experience the game in 4K, 60 fps locked, and tons of visual upgrades to boot.

The verdict? I can’t put it down now. The barrier of the crap controls is gone. The barrier of 720P blurry turd, gone. The barely 30FPS junk gameplay barrier ? Gone. Non stop pop in ? Gone.

I feel like for the first time I can just focus on the game for what it is and get lost in it without being pulled out repeatedly due to the issues above. Yes I still am not a big fan of the underground mini puzzle temples, or the lack of sweeping music as I travel the world, but I’m finally seeing the magic. I could see the flock of birds over head on a cloudy day as I approach a new horse stealthy instead of wrestling the game. I can appreciate tossing a bomb into a group of enemies with explosive barrels nearby and it causing a field grass fire. I rode a rock that had momentum across a River off a hill and glided to my destination faster.

It goes without saying, but this game desperately deserves a better Nintendo console to be on to lock the fps to 60 and 1440p at least for the next one they put out.

If anyone else is getting caught in the ToTK hype but dismissed BoTW, I highly recommend trying it on cemu. Took me 5 minutes to get it going.

SeraphJan

720P, 30FPS, pop-ins, none of these bothered me, I've experienced worse

However, while I could see the appeal of the game for many, but for me I just can't enjoy a game that does not respect my time. After finishing the game, while it had its addictive moment, but most of my time was wasted doing meaningless stuff in an empty world, a fun sandboxy physic simulator, a good toy, but I prefer more impactful and condensed experience.

The one thing that stands out in this game for me is that it at least offer player the option to sequence break and go straight for the final boss (not a lot of open world game offers sequence break).

Unless ToTK goes back to the traditional Zelda route (which seems extremely unlikely), I'm not sure I would buy the hype

Last edited:

iHaunter

With all of the latest media for Tears of the Kingdom, especially the final trailer, I started mulling over my dislike for BoTW.

I’ve bought the game twice, and tried I think now 6 times to get into it. The best I did was beat the first giga chad beast and get to the second one before dropping it.

There’s numerous reasons you’ve all probably heard here in the past so I’ll spare you. Generally my play sessions span around 15-25 minutes at most before putting it down.

Well with the hype for the sequel I wanted to give it a final whirl but this time via cemu. To experience the game in 4K, 60 fps locked, and tons of visual upgrades to boot.

The verdict? I can’t put it down now. The barrier of the crap controls is gone. The barrier of 720P blurry turd, gone. The barely 30FPS junk gameplay barrier ? Gone. Non stop pop in ? Gone.

I feel like for the first time I can just focus on the game for what it is and get lost in it without being pulled out repeatedly due to the issues above. Yes I still am not a big fan of the underground mini puzzle temples, or the lack of sweeping music as I travel the world, but I’m finally seeing the magic. I could see the flock of birds over head on a cloudy day as I approach a new horse stealthy instead of wrestling the game. I can appreciate tossing a bomb into a group of enemies with explosive barrels nearby and it causing a field grass fire. I rode a rock that had momentum across a River off a hill and glided to my destination faster.

It goes without saying, but this game desperately deserves a better Nintendo console to be on to lock the fps to 60 and 1440p at least for the next one they put out.

If anyone else is getting caught in the ToTK hype but dismissed BoTW, I highly recommend trying it on cemu. Took me 5 minutes to get it going.
I have about 80 hours into it. I do like the game, but it's a bit overrated. There's very few creature types, just re-skins. Only 4 dungeons that are very short, not a huge fan of the smaller dungeons (Forget what they're called). I'd give the game a 7/10 as a solid first attempt. It was hard to get over the very barren world with terrible graphics. The fact that sometimes I dropped below 15 FPS is really sad. The switch is over-priced for the mediocre specs it has, even on launch. Nintendo made an enormous mistake release that piece of crap with the specs they did. For $300 it was a high price anyway.

I sold my Switch a couple of years ago and may just use my GFs for BOTW2. I'll see how it is first. Outside of playing Smash once in a while with my buddies, never really used it outside of Pokémon SS and BOTW.

Thabass

I'm currently replaying it before the sequel comes out. This will be my third time through of it. Still one of the best games ever made and still the best Zelda game. All three of my playthroughs have been very different and rewarding.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, I've said in other threads that opinion of BoTW has changed for the better. I still haven't finished it, but I've come to appreciate it a lot more than I did the first time.

Chupanibre

I've had it since release and still haven't finished it yet. I keep trying every few months, but I can't stick with it.

It's just so tedious to me... and I completed Wind Waker 100% about 20 times.

Maybe one day I'll get through it.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Broken weapons broke it
I kind of like the broken weapons. It makes the loot worthwhile. When I play games like Oblivion or Fallout they are such huge games and I'm always super OP halfway through and loot is meaningless. I will already have great magic weapons or super powerful guns and I have no interest in collecting new loot. With BotW looting is still fun especially when you get a magical or super powerful weapon.

What drives me crazy is the damn rain, it seems like it's ALWAYS raining especially whenever I want to climb a really tall, steep cliff.

cireza

I kind of like the broken weapons. It makes the loot worthwhile.
I kind of disagree with this. Loot is quite pointless as soon as you have picked up a few good weapons. Which you can do immediately at the start of the game by visiting the castle, by the way.

It is the same as in other games, in my opinion. I completed BotW and in the end, I was simply skipping every enemy, I had nothing to gain from defeating them.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I respect the game so much but it’s just not enjoyable for me.

Disbelief No GIF by Krepling

With due respect

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It was the first open world in ages where i was inclined to explore. Same with death stranding a d elden ring

How do you like your bananas btw

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned

"A graphics whore sees the light but only if its resolution and framerate are high enough" - The Thread
Excited Blues Brothers GIF

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
A graphics whore sees the light but only if its resolution and framerate are high enough.
Excited Blues Brothers GIF

One of my top 5 games ever is Celeste lol. Pop in, 720p, and sub 30fps isn’t being a graphics whore, it’s not dick sucking a company worth millions to do a bare minimum job on one of their biggest IPs.

Paulistano

BOTW for me is just Far Cry customized with Nintendo IP and some japanese shenanigans.

Zelda was a disappointment with Skyward Sword and beyond, I just don't see it returning to the old formula for me it's dead.

SeraphJan

BOTW for me is just Far Cry customized with Nintendo IP and some japanese shenanigans.

Zelda was a disappointment with Skyward Sword and beyond, I just don't see it returning to the old formula for me it's dead.
Link between world is pretty good though, classic style Zelda

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
One of my top 5 games ever is Celeste lol. Pop in, 720p, and sub 30fps isn’t being a graphics whore, it’s not dick sucking a company worth millions to do a bare minimum job on one of their biggest IPs.
So they did less than the bare minimum on purpose to insult us? It had nothing to do with the limitations of the hardware?

Nintendo
Schitts Creek Please GIF by CBC
and compensation for the 100+ hours I wasted on your subpar garbage...(please ignore that I enjoyed those hours and pretend I'm a masochist)

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Calling people graphic whore is like saying "My preference for aesthetic of exploration is superior than your preference for aesthetic of sensation", which is very disrespectful IMO. Its also very dismissive to all the talented 3D artist and animator, these people put hard work into a media too, not just the game mechanic designer.

Last edited:

Madjaba

Played most of the Zelda titles but BOTW was a real slog to me, the open world formula didn't click and I found the battle system really lacking.

I'm looking at TOTK with a curious yet cautious eye as it looks like more of the same for now.

SeraphJan

Played most of the Zelda titles but BOTW was a real slog to me, the open world formula didn't click and I found the battle system really lacking.

I'm looking at TOTK with a curious yet cautious eye as it looks like more of the same for now.
The game actually encourage player to avoid combat altogether, there is nearly nothing to gain from combat other than breaking your weapon which leads to more meaningless grinding, a terrible mechanic copied pasted from Dead Rising (it worked in DR because its a zombie survival game) just to inflate total playtime

Last edited:

Madjaba

The game actually encourage player to avoid combat altogether, there nearly nothing to gain from combat other than breaking your weapon which leads to more meaningless grinding, a terrible mechanic copied pasted from Dead Rising (it worked in DR because its a zombie survival game)
You can also add that to half-counter the breaking system, you can pull the Master Sword... IF you get 13 full hearts in total before that.

The slog was getting slogger at this moment...

Last edited:

bobone

My friend played the game the same way on his PC, and did a hack to disable the weapon durability.
He loved the game.

I wish Nintendo would have learned for the sequel. But it appears they just added Minecraft elements to appeal to all the zoomers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom