• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I went to a 7-year old's CoD themed b-day party

OP played Mortal Kombat when he was 7 but has a problem with 7 year olds playing CoD
AU7Amsc.gif

kyser73

i had a toy box full of toy guns and grenades as a kid. They also used to even let us have them real chinese throwing stars. We used to throw them at a wooden wall. Parents all ok with it, no one ever got hurt by it. We had BB guns at that age that we were able to shoot. It was a great time.

Yeah, we used to build our own bow & arrows using tree branches, string & sharpened plant splints, had access to catapults etc. I owned a crossbow between 12-18 too :)

BigEmil

When I was a kid, we had Contra on the NES. Times change, but what kids like don't.
That's different those times pixelated pixel art shooting things. But today's COD not only looks realistic but also glorifies war etc not as mild as Contra back in the day

I hate this over protection mindset for kids. Teach them right from wrong, fantasy from reality and they will grow up to be healthy minded individuals.

Marker007

When I was a child I watched Rambo, Death Wish, The Terminator and I played games like Mortal Kombat and later Duke Nukem and Silent Hill. I think kids today are just as smart as we were as children and aren't going to grow up to be psychopaths just because they played a violent game.

Ehh parents usually know their kids best so whatever. All I know is that I'm not letting my kids play GTA or Call of Duty..... only because I don't enjoy them. I'm gonna completely brain wash my kids into enjoying games I like. Will save me money. :p

I played GTA as a kid and I turned out fine!

Wish I didn't though. I only played it because I was pressured and bullied by other kids for not playing "men's" game. Shit sucked. It happened with horror movies too and that was traumatizing.

Needless to say I don't think it's appropriate at all.

ultrazilla

I can tell you from the Xbox 360 days it seemed like the lobbies were full of players clearly below their teen years. I mean, I can't even estimate how many games I had to back out of because of the sheer amount of little kids playing(and saying totally inappropriate stuff and generally being well-little kids). My wife would sometimes watch me play and could sometimes hear the chat/lobby and she'd be like "ugh, where are the parents at? they seem pretty young to be playing"!

That all being said and this is coming from a parent of two teen boys, it's a parenting(some would argue lack-there of) issue and you just have to assume that they have educated the kid(s) as best they can in terms of the violent content.

Personally, we didn't allow our boys to play until they were around 10. We also made it crystal clear that when you get shot in real life by a gun, you generally don't get a "respawn" button-you get DEAD. So we were very clear about the games being SIMULATED VIOLENCE and to never, ever play with or touch real guns should they see them. Of course, now that they're older, they've "grown into" young adults who realize responsibility and real world vs video game violence.

So it all boils down to this-it's a parenting issue and if they feel little 7 year old Jimmy is o.k to be playing Call of Duty, just make sure you kill the little bastard next time online.

I see no problem with it. I think I played the first Halo game around that age. I also loved the Indiana Jones movies, which were pretty dark and violent.

Also, to the people saying that the CoD games are realistic... have you ever played one of the games? The most recent one took place in space, and the one before that was set in the future, and was basically science fiction. This is coming from someone who only recently played the first Modern Warfare and doesn't care for the series at all (these are basic things I know without having ever played those games). The Call of Duty games are basically the modern version of the 80s action movie. The action in the games is so completely over the top (again, the most recent entry had space battles) and so far removed from reality these days that its hard to take seriously. I remember seeing a promo at one of the E3 conferences a couple years ago for MW2 which, IIRC, had the main character outrunning an avalanche in a snowmobile.

I see no problem with it. I think I played the first Halo game around that age. I also loved the Indiana Jones movies, which were pretty dark and violent.

Also, to the people saying that the CoD games are realistic... have you ever played one of the games? The most recent one took place in space, and the one before that was set in the future, and was basically science fiction. This is coming from someone who only recently played the first Modern Warfare and doesn't care for the series at all (these are basic things I know without having ever played those games). The Call of Duty games are basically the modern version of the 80s action movie. The action in the games is so completely over the top (again, the most recent entry had space battles) and so far removed from reality these days that its hard to take seriously. I remember seeing a promo at one of the E3 conferences a couple years ago for MW2 which, IIRC, had the main character outrunning an avalanche in a snowmobile.

I think the problem is a COD themed birthday is just a military themed birthday. COD is not a unique identity.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
When I was a child I watched Rambo, Death Wish, The Terminator and I played games like Mortal Kombat and later Duke Nukem and Silent Hill. I think kids today are just as smart as we were as children and aren't going to grow up to be psychopaths just because they played a violent game.

You know, I am in the same boat as this and I would probably agree with this...

...and then we have toxic gaming culture, doxxing, abuse of people not of the status quo in gaming, Charlottesville and 2017 America.

Now I don't know what the fuck to think anymore. =(

But I see your statement and remember than I used to think that to myself. But now? i'm not so sure.

prag16

Banned
I hate this over protection mindset for kids. Teach them right from wrong, fantasy from reality and they will grow up to be healthy minded individuals.
Yep, it's that simple. Easy as pie. I'm sure all the kids you have raised have turned into well-adjusted adults, right?

One thing that does make raising kids easier. Not fucking letting 7 year olds completely obsess over a game that focuses on putting bullets through extremely realistic looking heads, thousands of times.

JoeLT

While I sort of agree, I was playing Halo when it came out yet I was only 6. Along with Mortal Kombat, to be honest it's a hard one. Leave it up to the parents.

LOLCats

Banned
You - like a majority of GAF people - are overthinking this

No way bro. Anything call of duty is not appropriate for a 7 year old.

You know, id be interested in knowing opinion statistics on if COD is appropriate for children from parents that are pro gun.

Disclaimer: I am pro gun and not a parent. I feel CoD is not for children 14 and under.

Nah. That's not bad at all.
Back then when I was 7 I got to watch hyper violent action and horror movies.

As long as they know it's all movie magic and understand the difference then it's really not that bad.

joecanada

I agree that most kids turn out fine even though they may sneak or be allowed to do violent things....

However there's a shit ton of little assholes out there on the internet too so itd be nice to know what their parents were or weren't doing.

I'll tell you what I wouldn't do is let my 7 year old play cod online with all those assholes without supervision. Most 6 year olds don't need a long explanation of why you don't call people n**** or f** or a ton of other shit but the kids at that birthday party certainly do because they probably hear it daily.

As someone who grew up with "mature" games as a kid as well as movies (im on that late 80s, early 90s cusp) its defitiely a whole different beast these days.

My first violent game was of course mortal kombat and other nonsense over the top fighters. My first real mature game was likely Resident Evil 2 around 8 or 9 years old and I loved it. The just shoot everything not to mention online interactions are not my cup of tea and I don't think id be ok with my kid eventually playing them at such a young age.

Similarly In general I don't think id be ok with a kid that young playing modern + mature/violent games. They really are just a big step up in a lot of ways now.

I got bloody ninjas and murdered zombie cake when I was 8.
sweet sweet guts, syrup blood and all.

It was the best birthday cake ever.

A cod cake is a bit "disney" in comparison.

Ninjas and zombies I can get behind. Those are cool fantasies you can sell to kid, despite the violence. A cake shaped like a pistol is like the least creative thing I can think of.

Ninjas and zombies I can get behind. Those are cool fantasies you can sell to kid, despite the violence. A cake shaped like a pistol is like the least creative thing I can think of.

A gun on a cake to me would have been lame. (no idea what my 7yrl self would have thought)
But back then we had guns that toy stores can't carry any more.
You know, the ones that looked real with only the tip being orange.

I think back then having a gun on a cake would have been meh unless it was one of those tiny machine guns that looked cool.

scoobs

Definitely too much for a 7 year old to see, pretty terrible parenting but sadly not even a little bit surprising.

Acerac

Banned
I watched Aliens when I was 7.

These COD games are really neutered now. Is there even blood in them anymore?

There are millions of people teaching racist and homophobic language in the game, I guess some people are ok with 7 year olds being constantly exposed to that sort of thing. It'll certainly help up their insult game on the schoolyard, which may help their standing with their peers.

Top Bottom