• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish my Xbox One could actually run Just Cause 3

soco

Nope. Its horrible. Your standards also seem to be horrible.

This game is has horrible performance. Dont excuse it!!!!!!!

Never change.

Stop f'n rewarding game companies with launch purchases without reasonable reviews. We've been doing frame rate analyses and comparisons for over 10 years now, and if this is a problem for people they should be waiting and just avoiding games entirely. Whining on GAF does little when you've already pumped your money into the game.

Ape

Banned
I think it's kinda cool how you can essentially do a slow mo walk towards the camera with an explosion behind you. Very action movie-ish.

Freezing

Slowdown, yes. Single digit frame rate? Not even close.

It just looks like dramatic slow-mo to me which I'm fine with (even if not intentional) , not jerky game breaking frame dropping.

I haven't played the game though so it might not feel how it looks...
That looked close to single digit actually.

And slow-mo is only good when the framerate is high enough. That way you get to see a better range of movement rather than seeing lapses in movement.

What you are experiencing is called slowdown. It is not the same as a bad framerate.
that's... just wrong? maybe you need to reword.

kodecraft

I'm sorry you're running into these issues OP but recent broken AAA releases on console just confirm that I made the right choice by going PC this gen. I disagree with games being just as broken last gen, we're 2 years into this console cycle. This shit is inexcusable. That's what certification should be for.

PC games are broken too, and you miss out on exclusives, so going PC this gen isn't the be all end all of gaming decisions.

jwtsonga

man the current state of pc/console games is so bad, its all about making money IMO.

I am contemplating actually quitting this crappy gaming industry completely. Even phone games are more reliable/run better these days lol (cant believe i just said that)

Shenmue

Banned
Woah JC3 plays that poorly?

Are we sure that's not like a slowdown effect to emphasize the cool explosions and stuff?

Sorry to hear that. The game looks awesome in the commercial that's running in the UK at the moment.

Vote with your wallet, people. Don't buy this shit.

Sorry to hear that. The game looks awesome in the commercial that's running in the UK at the moment.

Vote with your wallet, people. Don't buy this shit.

This should always be the way, but as was said previously, folks who care about the framerate/performance are (apparently) in the minority. People want it NOW.

virtualS

I'd argue that if the game was built for console first, you wouldn't be experiencing severe frame rate issues. As a PC gamer, I wouldn't mind this at all. Efficient GPU and CPU usage benefits everyone except publishers eager to take cash from Nvidia or devs in need of poorly optimised for console middleware.

FX-GMC

There's always that one dude who is totally oblivious. "Its fine"

More gold, still playing the game that drops frames when you switch weapon. Also hitting 0 FPS when changing zone.

This never happened on my Xbox One. Maybe the dropped frame here and there when switching a weapon. Have it on an external so that may help.

Fallout 4 is nowhere near as bad as the videos in the OP.

vypek

Im pretty disappointed with the PS4 version, OP. I have had quite a few technical issues and have problems with certain aspects of the game design as well. If I buy another Just Cause in the future...I'm going to be wary of which studio it is from

cireza

Horrible framerates are now a feature? Like Bullet-Time or something?
WTF ? Did I ever say this was a good thing ? Did you read OP ?

It is simply slowdown which by definition means that you are not losing frames. What's the problem about being specific ?

BKG

Banned
I feel like Avalanche could have hit a solid 30 if they had made the map smaller. Easily one of the biggest maps ever and it's not really necessary, I would've been content with a map half that size but a solid 30 fps. Game is fun and it's impressive what they did with destruction and scale, but definitely overshadowed by the technical issues

FX-GMC

WTF ? Did I ever say this was a good thing ? It is simply slowdown which by definition means that you are not losing frames. What's the problem about being specific ?

Slowdown is caused by a bad framerate. Bad Framerate in this case is < 30fps. Get it?

I feel like Avalanche could have hit a solid 30 if they had made the map smaller. Easily one of the biggest maps ever and it's not really necessary, I would've been content with a map half that size but a solid 30 fps. Game is fun and it's impressive what they did with destruction and scale, but definitely overshadowed by the technical issues

I think the map size is fine. Its the CPUs in the consoles that's the issue.
Game runs completely fine until the physics system kicks in.

cireza

Slowdown is caused by a bad framerate. Bad Framerate in this case is < 30fps. Get it?
If I remember well, OP talks about framedrops. In his case (after watching the videos), it is obvious that no frames were dropped. This is what I call slowdown.

99% of the time, when people talk about a bad framerate, they mean that frames are missing. Not enough frames. Frame drops.

Here it does not seem like it is the case. All intended frames look like they are displayed, but slowly.

MauroNL

If I remember well, OP talks about framedrops. In his case (after watching the videos), it is obvious that no frames were dropped. This is what I call slowdown.

99% of the time, when people talk about a bad framerate, they mean that frames are missing. Not enough frames. Frame drops.

Here it does not seem like it is the case. All intended frames look like they are displayed, but slowly.
Frame rates/slowdowns, fact is its hard playing it in this condition.

That's what I'm seeing too. Slowdown, not massive frame drops. Slowdown is annoying but only the latter can be really game breaking in my opinion.

Ideally in this day and age we shouldn't be seeing either but slowdown wouldn't put me off a game like dropped frames would.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I feel bad for all the people playing on XBONE/PS4... they really should be making the games run SOLID.

I remember seeing Farcry 4 playing on my friends PS4, struggling at like 25FPS and what looked like MEDIUM graphics. Then going home and booting it up on my 980GTX on ULTRA @ 120 FPS. It's literally a whole different experience.

Considering your computer likely cost three to four times what the Playstation 4 sells for (judging by the $549 cost of the GTX980) it better damn well be a whole different experience.

I feel bad for all the people playing on XBONE/PS4... they really should be making the games run SOLID.

I remember seeing Farcry 4 playing on my friends PS4, struggling at like 25FPS and what looked like MEDIUM graphics. Then going home and booting it up on my 980GTX on ULTRA @ 120 FPS. It's literally a whole different experience.

I hate that as a PC gamer I have to read trash like this trying to shit on consoles. So damn insecure.

Far Cry 4 on PS4 was not nearly that bad, consistent 30 all throughout basically.

And yea it damn well better be a better experience on your $500 GPU.

Foolish.

Bullshit detector going off charts.

Gren

I'm not sure what the technical explanation is, but SFV manifests its drops in framerate as apparent slowdown.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

You could always spread around some of that PCMasterrace 1% money and help all us underpriveleged console gamers afford some of that sweet goodness.

What with all the rampant automation on the rise these days, isn't it about time for a guaranteed minimum standard of framerate?

MMaRsu

Banned
Never change.

Stop f'n rewarding game companies with launch purchases without reasonable reviews. We've been doing frame rate analyses and comparisons for over 10 years now, and if this is a problem for people they should be waiting and just avoiding games entirely. Whining on GAF does little when you've already pumped your money into the game.

Whining?

Lol. I thought this was a discussion board.

The charm of buying a video game day one sight unseen without having seen much gameplay is still something that can be a very rewarding experience.

JC2 on 360 ran great.

Excuse me for having some faith in some developers, who in turn just step on it and it makes me less interested in buying their games at all.

Maybe it doesnt change anything, but as long as reviewers dont actually inform customers ahead of time, I can "whine" as you very annoyingly put it as much as I want BECAUSE Ive poured money into the product.

T.E.D

Banned
The current gen consoles are incredibly underpowered.

It was outdated tech in 2013, imagine what it is now. I get it, really I do. I understand that they're a product of their economic environment. Who had $600 to spend on a PS4 in 2013 like they had on a PS3 during the boom years? Very few. I can't see this gen last as long as the last. No way in hell.

It's not just consoles. The game is very poorly optimized. The game drops from 60 to sub 30 when explosions occur. It's a mess even on PC.

Reallink

The current gen consoles are incredibly underpowered.

It was outdated tech in 2013, imagine what it is now. I get it, really I do. I understand that they're a product of their economic environment. Who had $600 to spend on a PS4 in 2013 like they had on a PS3 during the boom years? Very few. I can't see this gen last as long as the last. No way in hell.

Has nothing to do with what people were willing spend, has everything to do with what the companies were willing to spend. Xbox 360 Core was $299 at launch in 2005 and was very cutting edge for the time.

T.E.D

Banned
PC games are broken too, and you miss out on exclusives, so going PC this gen isn't the be all end all of gaming decisions.

In fairness, you miss out on exclusives if you don't own a PC too.

There are some broken games on PC, yes, but that tends to be a case of the problem being on the developers end and not the limitations of the actual hardware.

shandy706

In the case of fixed hardware, I put this on the developer.

Drop your settings and res until it locks 30 or maintains 90%+ devs.

E92 M3

I've been playing it a lot and having a blast. Yeah, there are some technical problems but who cares? I almost didn't buy this game because of all the complaining on GAF.

DayEnder

You are literally the only person I've see say that this game runs well on XB1 or PS4. You must not be very bothered by heavy slowdown and erratic loading times.

Have you tried renaming it from JustCause3.pptx to JustCause3.exe or JustCause3.xbe? Might help solve some of the performance problems.
/s

Mahonay

Banned
I've been playing it a lot and having a blast. Yeah, there are some technical problems but who cares? I almost didn't buy this game because of all the complaining on GAF.
It's 100 percent ok to enjoy a game despite it having technical issues.

It's another thing to say it runs just fine when that's false.

fred

MS/Sony need to look out for their consumers and have games that run that poorly fail cert.

They used to last generation tbf. But if they did that this generation there'd a good deal
more high profile games released with either a huge delay or maybe even not at all.

DocSeuss

Sure they are but they can usually be brute forced through to a playable state.

Um, a 1-ton truck with a lawnmower engine won't go anywhere, but a 1-ton truck with a turbocharged v-8 will.

That's not brute-forcing, that's the appropriate application of force.

What we've got here is games that are too advanced for the consoles they're on. The consoles are underpowered. The PC isn't "brute-forcing" and there's nothing wrong with the fact that it requires more power to properly run a game the consoles can't.

mrndkra

Absolute bull shit come on. That game is 30 over 99% of the time. Never mind that a single 980 will not run that game at those levels. What's the point of even coming on here and lying and thinking no one's going to notice?

Top Bottom