• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Sony would make a PSP JUST for playing games.

There are acouple of PSP games I want, but I don't want to spend $250 for lots of extra features I'll never use. I would gladly pay $150 or so for a bare-bones version that just played games, and I really wish Sony would.

I wish Boeing would make an airplane JUST for me. After all, I'd be the only person on the airplane so it would cost less.

Speevy

Banned
Or at least make a PSP player. Heck, Nintendo should do the same for the DS. I'm a console gamer. Not gonna happen in either case, though.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wish Boeing would make an airplane JUST for me. After all, I'd be the only person on the airplane so it would cost less.

The fares would be much higher...thats a terrible analogy.

The End

Speevy said:
Or at least make a PSP player. Heck, Nintendo should do the same for the DS. I'm a console gamer. Not gonna happen in either case, though.

A home UMD player is in the pipeline, but odds are, it won't play PSP games.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I was thinking about this... But from a different angle.

I wish the PSP had dual analog sticks.

The current design just doesn't accomodate the control of 3D games well. At least 1st and 3rd person games, where camera adjustment is integral to the overall experience.

A re-design needs two analog sticks. Problem w/ that is it'll render the OG design useless.

link2.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of that $250 is from the screen. For the price to go down they'd have to use a different screen, not change the "extra features".

Xiaoki

The current PSP is made to only play games. All the extra features add nothing to the cost of the system.

You know, I think the advent of 2 analog sticks on controllers made developers just plain lazy.
I remember developers would actually have to put a good deal of time into programming a smart camera that would follow your charcter on it's own and not be troublesome.
After Dual Shock developers gave up trying to make a good auto camera and basically said "you have control of the camera now, so bad camera angles and such are you're problem now loser".
Developers have now forgotten those days and how to program a good camera system that they can't implement one in PSP games.

Kolgar

Funny - I was just on lunch break, playing a game of Ridge Racer, when our IS guy happened by. He seemed curious about PSP, so I gave him a run-down, showing him my movies, music, photos, and telling him how it surfs the net, etc.

He's amazed. PSP sale +1. :)

StRaNgE

Banned
Teddman said:
I wish Somebody would make some games JUST for playing on the PSP.

I badly want a psp just becAUSE. I JUST DON;T WANT ANY OF THE GAMES.

WELL NOT SO, DEATH JR SPARKED MY INTEREST BUT I HEAR IT BLEW CHUCKS SO I AM BACK TO SQAURE ONE. :(

garrickk

Actually, this thread got me thinking.

I wish Sony would sell a $400-500 version of the PSP that had the security turned off (as a permanent feature) and allowed open use of the device (homebrew, etc.).

I'd buy it. They make the majority off their money "up front" and allow me to use my hardware to run any software I want.

Mihail

Banned
I don't understand the reactions in this thread.

I think that would actually be a good idea. They'd probably get me to buy one if they did that, and many other people as well, I imagine.

So, if they take out the code to play MP3s, show images and movies, it'd be $100 cheaper? That's some damn overpaid programmers!

Btw, brought my PSP to my car pool. Showed them Wipeout, Mercury and the media functions. PSP sales +3.

Synbios459 said:
There are acouple of PSP games I want, but I don't want to spend $250 for lots of extra features I'll never use. I would gladly pay $150 or so for a bare-bones version that just played games, and I really wish Sony would.

Virtua Tennis, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Ys for me

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Mihail said:
I don't understand the reactions in this thread.

I think that would actually be a good idea. They'd probably get me to buy one if they did that, and many other people as well, I imagine.

Here let me help you.... you know how playing DVD's and CD's are a byproduct of the tech already built in to the PS2?

Yeah it's like that.

No I'm glad Sony made the PSP the way they did, and more or less glad the DS is where its at too.

Having different types of hardware philosophy is a good thing for the industry. Imagine if the car industry only had one type of car for everyone at one set price.

The people who get too caught up on this thing are still stuck in sixth grade with the "oh you have console X ... I have console Y ... console X sucks!"

Portable gaming hasn't been this exciting since the very early days of the Game Boy when everything was fresh and new and playing Tetris and Super Mario Land on the go was really amazing.

Mihail

Banned
Link316 said:
movie & MP3 playback are extras, removing them wouldn't make the PSP cheaper
DarienA said:
Here let me help you.... you know how playing DVD's and CD's are a byproduct of the tech already built in to the PS2?

Yeah it's like that.
That's not how hardware works. When it only has one function, the hardware and its firmware can be optimized for that purpose. It becomes more reliable, more efficient, and often times cheaper.

Downhome

I don't understand the reactions either. A "core/raw" version of a PSP, that costs less than the current version, would be a pretty good idea in my book. I know many people who would gladly dish out for one, since they have no use for the extra features included. I have a PSP, so this isn't just me saying this for me.

Until more games come out for the PSP though, I don't see why anyone would want one that just plays games. :D

Yeah it's like that.

(I don't know much about this technology, so correct me if I'm wrong.)

The PS2 games are on DVD and CD though, so it wasn't that much of a stretch to have the PS2 play normal DVDs and CDs I don't think. Those were features that were already there, that just needed to be fleshed out a bit to make it work well.

For the PSP, all of the extra stuff like web browsing, mp3 player, pictures, etc... were added specifically for making the PSP system "more" than just a gaming machine. The UMD movies would go more along with what you are saying about the PS2, since the games play on UMD discs just as the movies do.

DarienA

Mihail said:
That's not how hardware works. When it only has one function, the hardware and its firmware can be optimized for that purpose. It becomes more reliable, more efficient, and often times cheaper.

We've had this optimization argument before... I'm not redoing it.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I don't understand the reactions either. A "core/raw" version of a PSP, that costs less than the current version, would be a pretty good idea in my book. I know many people who would gladly dish out for one, since they have no use for the extra features included. I have a PSP, so this isn't just me saying this for me.

I don't own a PSP yet but it's been asked a few times: what are they going to remove that would make it less expensive?

It's like saying you want a PSOne that doesn't play audio CDs or a PS2 that doesn't play DVD movies. Taking out playback options doesn't change what hardware is already in the system.

Nick

This thread is pretty gay, but my perfect PSP redux would have:

-Two analog sticks (that don't suck)
-ACTUAL PS2 QUALITY GRAPHICS
-No ghosting on the screen
-Making the video playback not suck penis
-Web browsing that doesn't suck
-Built in HDD (let's say 4 gigs)

Too bad the little system that could sucks. :(

I wish Sony would make a TV for just watch DVDs and playing videogames. I never watch TV anymore. And make it cost half as much.

^^^ For Mihial

Oni Jazar

dot-Nick said:
This thread is pretty gay, but my perfect PSP redux would have:

-Two analog sticks (that don't suck)
-ACTUAL PS2 QUALITY GRAPHICS
-No ghosting on the screen
-Making the video playback not suck penis
-Web browsing that doesn't suck
-Built in HDD (let's say 4 gigs)

Too bad the little system that could sucks. :(

I'm sure a $700, 1 hour battery life laptop sized portable would've sold like hotcakes.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
How many people are going to buy non-portable UMD players when those versions are usually missing the bonus content? I could see rewritable UMD recorders but playback-only for the home seems really pointless.

Deg

Banned
Synbios459 said:

You are dumb. The extra features are free. PSP in inherently powerful enough to do much than just games.

mrkgoo

Well, in a way, a cheaper games -only psp exists now!

Well, rather, if you wanted it for playing mp3's and your own movie files, you need to get a memory stick duo - at least 512, but probably 1GB-2GB. This is the extra cost. So a games only PSP is at least $100 cheaper. :O

Nick

Oni Jazar said:
I'm sure a $700, 1 hour battery life laptop sized portable would've sold like hotcakes.
Have you ever seen video playback on a PSP? It's one big blur, converted at the highest setting.

Either that, or I'm doing it wrong (pro tip: I'm not).

DarienA

dot-Nick said:
Have you ever seen video playback on a PSP? It's one big blur, converted at the highest setting.

Wait what type of video are you talking about?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
dot-Nick said:

You might have a busted PSP, I can play videos on mine without it being a big blur.

Nick

DarienA said:
Wait what type of video are you talking about?
More specifically, I am trying to get my episodes of Queer as Folk to look as sharp as they do on my laptop. When they are converted (at the HIGHEST possible bit rate) and converted to my PSP, I notice so much damn ghosting that it's distracting.

Yes, I've seen Spiderman 2 on my PSP, and it looked pretty good. Why can't I just have something *remotely* as good as that converted from my computer?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mihail said:
Gaming isn't really "one function" though, esp. when we're talking about reproducing contemporary gaming capabilities - 3d visuals, 2d visuals, multichannel sound, fmv, online, etc. You produce hardware that's optimized for gaming functions like these, you've also produced hardware that's more than good enough tackle the component parts separately.

garrickk said:
Actually, this thread got me thinking.

I wish Sony would sell a $400-500 version of the PSP that had the security turned off (as a permanent feature) and allowed open use of the device (homebrew, etc.).

I'd buy it. They make the majority off their money "up front" and allow me to use my hardware to run any software I want.
Interesting idea but I'm hoping there's a solution through a near future firmware update for all PSPs - allow homebrew PSP software to be run legitimately off a memory stick by publically providing an encryption key that's separate from whatever they use for officially licensed software. This publically available encryption key may not allow software stamped with to access all low level memory/kernel functions, but it would still give homebrew coders a legitimate means to create software for the PSP.

Top Bottom