• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Sony would make a PSP JUST for playing games.

Danj

dot-Nick said:
More specifically, I am trying to get my episodes of Queer as Folk to look as sharp as they do on my laptop. When they are converted (at the HIGHEST possible bit rate) and converted to my PSP, I notice so much damn ghosting that it's distracting.

Yes, I've seen Spiderman 2 on my PSP, and it looked pretty good. Why can't I just have something *remotely* as good as that converted from my computer?

Did you upgrade your PSP to version 2.00 so you can take advantage of H.264 format? If not, I suggest trying it, since you can get better quality at the same file size (also, it's the format that UMD movies like Spiderman 2 are encoded in).

Pimpwerx

Mihail said:
I don't understand the reactions in this thread.

I think that would actually be a good idea. They'd probably get me to buy one if they did that, and many other people as well, I imagine.
You are wrong wrong wrongiddy wrong.

The hardware performance of the PSP means that it can do a great deal of additional things FREE OF CHARGE. It's like a PC can do video editing, word processing and other things, not b/c it's finetuned to any particular thing. But the hardware performance allows you to write a wide range of software that performs well. The same applies to the PSP. AFAIK, only the H.264 decoding constitutes additional hardware. That's really not a huge deal, though. A portable device with a big screen is just a no-brainer for multimedia apps. If Sony didn't make them standard, people would eat them alive, b/c everyone knows it should be possible to get those things free from the machine. It's just too powerful not to. The days of 486s and 386s that required additional hardware for multimedia apps are long gone. Winamp (for instance) doesn't cause a 40% CPU hit anymore. Consoles and handhelds (well, PSP-class and greater) are just close-platform PCs with hardware tailored more to multimedia processing than general purpose use. PEACE.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
dot-Nick said:
Yes, I've seen Spiderman 2 on my PSP, and it looked pretty good. Why can't I just have something *remotely* as good as that converted from my computer?

Strange I was able to watch Godzilla Final Wars and Seoul Raiders a bit back no problem...

Pimpwerx

CVXFREAK said:
What would happen if the screen size were reduced ala GB micro? (same pixels, small area)
Pixel density inflates cost more than actual size IMO. Denser displays are generally more expensive. The PSP screen is nice enough as is. Making it smaller would also suck. I think it's a good size how it is. That screen is really fucking nice. PEACE.

Nick

Danj said:
Did you upgrade your PSP to version 2.00 so you can take advantage of H.264 format? If not, I suggest trying it, since you can get better quality at the same file size (also, it's the format that UMD movies like Spiderman 2 are encoded in).
Yes. I am not into homebrew, and I am currently running 2.6. *bleh*

I want an easy way to do this. :(

seanoff

we had this discussion with the PS2. Why don't u make a thread that the 360 should ship sans ethernet, streaming media, flash dashboard, and not play movies, surely it would be cheaper.

All these EXTRA features really cost bugger all and their value to many users outweighs their cost by some margin.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
More specifically, I am trying to get my episodes of Queer as Folk to look as sharp as they do on my laptop. When they are converted (at the HIGHEST possible bit rate) and converted to my PSP, I notice so much damn ghosting that it's distracting.

Blur is a result of the PSPs low screen response time.

That said, has Sony started sneaking in improved screens? The blur in games and video is my only gripe w/ the piece of kit.

soundwave05 said:
No I'm glad Sony made the PSP the way they did, and more or less glad the DS is where its at too.

Having different types of hardware philosophy is a good thing for the industry. Imagine if the car industry only had one type of car for everyone at one set price.

The people who get too caught up on this thing are still stuck in sixth grade with the "oh you have console X ... I have console Y ... console X sucks!"

Portable gaming hasn't been this exciting since the very early days of the Game Boy when everything was fresh and new and playing Tetris and Super Mario Land on the go was really amazing.

Well said.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I wish the PSP was cheaper.

Oh, wait! Or that I had more money. Forget the first one, I wish I had more money.

Top Bottom