• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I would love to catch up on all those Nintendo games but I can't get over their dumbass business decisions

Drizzlehell

Banned
Usually, it starts simple: I browse around the internet and get reminded of Nintendo's existence, and then I start thinking about all those tight games that I could play. Metroid, Super Mario, Zelda...

Then I start to look around the web to see how much would it set me back to get all those games. Hardware isn't that big of a deal these days and the barrier of entry is reasonable, but I'm cautious about the games themselves because I vaguely recall that there's always some artificially created shortage problem when it comes to software. And sure enough, very quickly I'm reminded of what usually keeps me away from that platform. Keep in mind, the number of their exclusives that I'm genuinely interested in is very narrow, so every time they make even one of them difficult to acquire, it devalues the hardware for me BIG time.

For example, Super Mario 3D collection - would be one of the biggest reasons for me to get that console because I never got to play any of the 3D Mario games and I'd love to catch up on those. That is, if it wasn't arbitrarily removed from e-shop one day, and physical copies became rarer and rarer over time, giving scalpers an opportunity to resell them at ridiculous prices. Of course, I have to consider that this is a likely fate for all first-party exclusives, almost as if Nintendo is thriving on FOMO and artificial hype. I can't just be patient and wait for them to go on sale or something (not that I've ever seen any digital game discounted on the e-shop but whatever). I gotta play by their rules and buy that shit ASAP if I don't wanna miss out!

At that point, I usually get annoyed enough that I just close the tab and stop thinking about it. This sucks, because I know that there are some fantastic games out there to be discovered, but the amount of hoops that Nintendo expects their customer base to jump through requires a level of brand devotion that I just don't have in me. I don't give a shit about any of the brands of consoles that I own. All I care about is convenience and ease of access to the games, and Nintendo completely falls flat on its face in that area.

The fact that we'd sooner see the Sun explode before Nintendo would put any of their games on other platforms such as PC speaks for itself. I would gladly pay for that convenience, and I refuse to believe that I'm alone in this. But they just don't care.

Chastten

Banned
Amount of hoops? I can literally visit any website and order whatever I need and have it in my home before tonight? Sounds more like you're looking for excuses and the only one you could come up with is pretty lame and completely irrelevant.

There's literally only 2 or 3 games you can't buy right now. One of them is a compilation of 3 old ass games (and if you haven't played them in the past 27 years, then you really have no reason to want to play 'em now, you're just make excuses and honestly, you're terrible at it) and another was a neet but completely forgettable battle royale free game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
How would putting their games on any platform outside their own besides the odd mobile game benefit them?
They would sell more games to a wider audience that's normally not accessible to them. People wouldn't suddenly stop buying their consoles just because their games are available on another platform.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Amount of hoops? I can literally visit any website and order whatever I need and have it in my home before tonight? Sounds more like you're looking for excuses and the only one you could come up with is pretty lame and completely irrelevant.

There's literally only 2 or 3 games you can't buy right now. One of them is a compilation of 3 old ass games (and if you haven't played them in the past 27 years, then you really have no reason to want to play 'em now, you're just make excuses and honestly, you're terrible at it) and another was a neet but completely forgettable battle royale free game.
Well, it sounds like the past 27 years have passed without you knowing the touch of a woman but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying to change that, buddy.

Gojiira

Eh perhaps a bit hyperbolic but you’re not wrong on artificial shortages OP, Nintendo are notorious for releasing things in small quantities. But yeah if theres that much barrier for you then you are better off without.

Reactions: Gp1

Chastten

Banned
Well, it sounds like the past 27 years have passed without you knowing the touch of a woman but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying to change that, buddy.

Apparently trying is not your strong point. I can give you some phone numbers if you're really desperate though

No, but seriously, you're cherrypicking the one game that Nintendo made available for only a limited time to try and make a (terrible) point. Here's news for you: EVERY game that Nintendo has launched on Switch since March 2017 (except Mario 35 and 3D All Stars) is easily and readily available at both the eShop and retail.

RagnarokIV

For example, Super Mario 3D collection - would be one of the biggest reasons for me to get that console because I never got to play any of the 3D Mario games and I'd love to catch up on those. That is, if it wasn't arbitrarily removed from e-shop one day,

I thought it was just the physical release that was artificially limited (pathetic), but I just looked into and their official site says

IMPORTANT NOTICE​

Super Mario 3D All-Stars was released for a limited time on Nintendo eShop to commemorate the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. Owners who purchased the digital version of the game before April 1st, 2021 can still play its entire contents, and can also redownload it from Nintendo eShop if the software has been archived or deleted.
LMAO!

What the heck is the point of this? The games no longer exist in any form, so piracy wins again.

Glad I got the box version from Amazon.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Apparently trying is not your strong point. I can give you some phone numbers if you're really desperate though

No, but seriously, you're cherrypicking the one game that Nintendo made available for only a limited time to try and make a (terrible) point. Here's news for you: EVERY game that Nintendo has launched on Switch since March 2017 (except Mario 35 and 3D All Stars) is easily and readily available at both the eShop and retail.
Playing Mario wasn't as much of a priority for me as getting laid when I was in my 20s.

Also, can you guarantee that they won't do the same with any of their other games, though? Don't answer, that's a rhetorical question. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Metroid Prime will meet the same fate, considering that it's another remaster of a GC game.

And it's not cherry-picking if it's literally one of like 5 games in total that I would want to play on that platform. As I said in the OP - every game that becomes hard to get tremendously devalues the platform for me.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Playing Mario wasn't as much of a priority for me as getting laid when I was in my 20s.

Also, can you guarantee that they won't do the same with any of their other games, though? Don't answer, that's a rhetorical question. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Metroid Prime will meet the same fate, considering that it's another remaster of a GC game.

And it's not cherry-picking if it's literally one of like 5 games in total that I would want to play on that platform. As I said in the OP - every game that becomes hard to get tremendously devalues the platform for me.

If one of only five games you wanna play on a platform is a compilation of a few decade old games than you shouldn't be buying said platform. You're better off spending that money on getting laid.

Also, if you're only interested in 5 games than buy them and that's that? What does it matter to you if those 5 games are not available anymore 10 years from now? Again, you're just making excuses for the sake of making excuses.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Meanwhile at Nintendo HQ:

PlaintiveBoilingFulmar-size_restricted.gif

Everyone agrees the Mario 3D All-Stars situation is dumb, but where's the rest of your argument? You can just go and buy all the other Zelda, Mario and Metroid games. Absolutely no restriction on any of those games. Sure, sales are kinda rare but they still happen occasionally. Nothing that weird or exciting to see as far as business decisions go.

Nintendo isn't preventing you from placing those games. You are.

Dr. Suchong

The lack of a "Players choice/Platinum" - esque range of first party software is what grinds my gears with Nintendo.
Older titles, (many from the Wii U) shouldn't be still selling for upwards of £50.
Yes, yes, I know we as consumers are to blame because we keep buying regardless, but still, it's rough being a Ninty fan if your cash flow situation isn't exactly rosy.

Unless you're a shareholder, their business decisions are of no concern to you. If you want to play their games, buy the console and play them. That's been the case since the days of Atari and Intellivision.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You can buy the Japanese Super Mario 3D Collection for $50-$55 on eBay. It is in English. It is less than MSRP of the original release. But by all means, whine instead of just, you know, buying and playing the damn games.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
emulation can tackle your problem but you will need a copy of the game
Is Switch emulation even viable on current-gen PC hardware? I know that the console if far weaker than PS5 or Xbox but it's still probably more hardware intensive than, say, GameCube emulation.

Last edited:
I’d like to buy more first party stuff, but the prices don’t ever go down.

The best is like buying cards in Costco ($100 for $90) then doing the vouchers + using gold coins. But it still feels expensive. Some of these games are 5-6 years old, they should be $20-$30. I’m currently waiting for some sort of confirmation on backwards compatibility before I spend more. The only ones I’ll buy now are Wonder & RPG.

Boss Mog

I used to like Nintendo stuff but I lost interest when they started focusing on gimmicks which thankfully stopped after the Wii U bombed. But even though I find the Switch cool, it feels like such a cheaply made product which they vastly overcharge for, I can't get behind that. I payed less than the price of a Switch in 2021 for my phone which is 3 times more powerful than the Switch with way better features to boot. Nintendo games almost never go on sale too, so you pretty much always have to pay 50 a pop even for games that released many years ago. And the last thing is that Nintendo still relies on constantly releasing the same 7-8 games without really innovating much.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
So let me get this straight: the console that you don't want to keep with barely any games you want to acquire having growing resell value is a disadvantage in your eyes?

Complains about companies being dumb while using unreasonable irrational arguments and behavior. Sometimes, you guys make just to easy to be taken advantage of.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yes it's very viable. PS3 emulation too
Yeah, I dabbled in PS3 emulation a couple of years ago, though it wasn't all sunshine and bunnies, depending on the game. Emulation is tricky because even if something runs fine then very often you have to deal with graphical or audio bugs, or even straight up crashing, and if that happens then I'd rather just not play it at all.

If it's too much of a pain in the ass then I'd rather wait for an opportunity to get the console with the games relatively cheap, like I did with Series S and backwards compatibility instead of trying to emulate Gears of War 2-3 on my PC. The difference is that on Xbox I also have like 60-80 other games that I can play, aside from those that I wanted the most, and they're all available digitally and often go on sale lol.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
So let me get this straight: the console that you don't want to keep with barely any games you want to acquire having growing resell value is a disadvantage in your eyes?

Complains about companies being dumb while using unreasonable irrational arguments and behavior. Sometimes, you guys make just to easy to be taken advantage of.
I'm sorry, could you translate that to English?

Woopah

The simple solution is just buy a Switch and subscribe to NSO, then you get access to a lot of the old games in those franchises.

I agree that the 3D Mario Colleciton tactic is dumb, but that's not what they do for almost any other games.,

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I think I have an extra copy of Mario 3D All Stars if you want it for a non-scalper price.

Seider

I wont buy a switch. Its too old and its better to wait for Switch 2. I expect games like Zelda Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom will run at 60 fps on Switch 2.

1) wait for sales on first-party games. 33% or more off first-party game prices periodically through the year

2) half of your argument is spent complaining about the Mario 3D collection and they were like, super up front about that being a limited time thing. It’s lame but they sold so many copies that game can easily be found all over the place. And also it’s the first time they’ve done a limited time release for a major title since the Wii. So it’s not like it’s typical of them.

3) if you want to save money, do the game voucher deal. If you buy TotK and another game it’s like $30 off the total price. Sony and Xbox don’t have similar deals and it’s kinda cool.

Plenty of ways to get their games slowly over time and spend as little as possible.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you pay Best Buy $50 for a year of their subscription thing, you get unlimited "buy 2, get 1 free" on all Switch games (including pre-orders). If there are more than a few first party games you want to dive into, that's probably the best deal you'll get on them. Or, wait until Black Friday - especially this year when Switch 2 will be right around the corner and a lot of this stuff will probably be on closeout.

Bigbelly

Banned
I mean, I’d understand your concern more if you actually brought up crap they do like their terrible party system and online chat.

Tams

Grow up.

A big boy like you can easily get whatever Nintendo game he wants.

And you provided the one and only example of Nintendo using FOMO with an entire game.

dorkimoe

So weird to me that people think Nintendo should make their games on other consoles but dont think Sony should make god of war for xbox. Like the whole point of having these big games everyone wants to play is so that you buy their hardware

Top Bottom