• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I would love to catch up on all those Nintendo games but I can't get over their dumbass business decisions

Celine

I would love to play game XXX but I can't be arsed to pay $60 for what I love.

Eh perhaps a bit hyperbolic but you’re not wrong on artificial shortages OP, Nintendo are notorious for releasing things in small quantities.
Here a bunch of games that suffered through artificial shortages due to meanie Nintendo:
WTmBGwf.jpg

(in million of units)

Even with Super Mario 3D All-Stars the crux was never on the quantity available but on the time of availability. Super Mario 3D All-Stars' physical print run was in the several million of units which is huge for what was essentially a collection of classics available for just six months.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

How would putting their games on any platform outside their own besides the odd mobile game benefit them? It would not and to expect that is folly, they don't have any other business and will not risk their long-term prospects just because a consumer wants that.

It's insane to think Nintendo releasing games on PC won't be an instant best seller. It would be a very smart move to at least release older games like Sony has started doing.

Releasing BotW for example on PC is a guaranteed 5-10+ million downloads. Easily.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
OP, You should write Nintendo a stern letter.

It's insane to think Nintendo releasing games on PC won't be an instant best seller. It would be a very smart move to at least release older games like Sony has started doing.

Releasing BotW for example on PC is a guaranteed 5-10+ million downloads. Easily.

That would mean that other games could also come to PC, and if that's the case, you'll have 5-10m+ people who won't be buying a Switch. Nintendo prefers selling you their hardware so you buy more of their software.

I love the fact that the games I buy don't decrease in value in a month. I remember buying Switcher 3 for 60, a week later it was 40, and this was in the games first month of release.

Chastten

Banned
Im not a Nintendo guy but wanted to get a cheap used 3ds for the 3D but holy fuck it's not that cheap.
Honestly, that's one of the reasons I like collecting Nintendo stuff. Doesn't matter if we're talking old cartridge based stuff, or more modern consoles, there's always a large aftermarket for it.

Just last year I offloaded my GBA collection and I got close to €100 per game on average. Admittedly, I had lots of somewhat rare games and the Pokémon games go for insane prices no matter what, but still. The Final Fantasy games, Castlevania games, Klonoa, most jRPG's, most of Nintendo's own games, they all go for far more that what I paid for them. For whatever reason, games on Nintendo systems, but also the hardware itself, retain their value much better than their competitors.

Meanwhile, my Xbox 360 collection is worth pennies, and my PS4 isn't doing much better.

CGNoire

I thought it was just the physical release that was artificially limited (pathetic), but I just looked into and their official site says

LMAO!

What the heck is the point of this? The games no longer exist in any form, so piracy wins again.

Glad I got the box version from Amazon.
Thats the thing Nintendo clearly acts like they want people to pirate there games.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
How is the series s more convenient, you have Microsoft bending you over a barrel locked into their store.
Lost Odyssey costs £20, a game that came out 16 years ago that I can find on eBay for £5.
I can't even play physical games I already own for 360.
The console was cheaper and the games themselves are about 10 bucks a pop on average. Also, there hasn't been a day since I bought the system when at least one of those games wouldn't be on sale so it's incredibly easy to hunt them down for next to nothing.

It’s… literally an expensive, completely optional hobby. Much like going to the movies, or building a model airplane. You are entitled to nothing other than air.
Every hobby is optional. But unlike model making, gaming has a much lower barrier of entry. It isn't as big of a luxury as you think.

Comparison to movies is also pretty bizarre, considering that a regular theatre ticket for an adult person is like 8 bucks.

Nydius

I'm sure this has already been said a few times in this topic but it's late and I'm not reading through all three pages right now but: You made this longwinded argument and then used a single game as the foundation of it? They haven't done that "limited time" scarcity on any game since then, and they didn't really do it before then either.

Every game you claim you want to play other than the single one you listed is readily available to purchase and if you really wanted to play them they'd more than justify the purchase of the hardware. This is just one long "I wish Nintendo would stop making hardware and put games on my preferred plastic box" shitpost using Mario 3D All Stars as your "logic". :rolleyes:

Edit:
it feels like Nintendo expects me to run an obstacle course.

Okay, at risk of another temp ban, I'm just going to say this:

You think you have to "run an obstacle course" because Nintendo wants you to buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games?

If you're not purposely trolling, you're a fucking idiot that needs to find another hobby. Gaming clearly isn't for you.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Okay, at risk of another temp ban, I'm just going to say this:

You think you have to "run an obstacle course" because Nintendo wants you to buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games?

If you're not purposely trolling, you're a fucking idiot that needs to find another hobby. Gaming clearly isn't for you.
You know that the other parts of that sentence that you conveniently edited out of your quote adds an important context to that statement, right? Maybe you should consider going back to grammar school and re-learning reading comprehension before you start going around calling people "fucking idiots."

Gojiira

I would love to play game XXX but I can't be arsed to pay $60 for what I love.

Here a bunch of games that suffered through artificial shortages due to meanie Nintendo:
WTmBGwf.jpg

(in million of units)

Even with Super Mario 3D All-Stars the crux was never on the quantity available but on the time of availability. Super Mario 3D All-Stars' physical print run was in the several million of units which is huge for what was essentially a collection of classics available for just six months.
I buy games at launch so maybe you should have directed your response to the OP who actually complained. I only agreed that yes Nintendo are well known for having smaller print runs of not only games but consoles, releasing them bit by bit, and as the case with Mario All Stars, rampant scalping…Perhaps you dont remember the threads either of people complaining they couldnt get Mario All Stars at launch? And how resellers were charging jokingly high for copies? Thats probably the most recent example.
Either way, they have that reputation whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

Celine

I buy games at launch so maybe you should have directed your response to the OP who actually complained.
The first line is directed to the threadstarter.

I've put together the quotation to your post in the same post to not clutter the thread.

I only agreed that yes Nintendo are well known for having smaller print runs of not only games but consoles, releasing them bit by bit, and as the case with Mario All Stars, rampant scalping…Perhaps you dont remember the threads either of people complaining they couldnt get Mario All Stars at launch? And how resellers were charging jokingly high for copies? Thats probably the most recent example.
Either way, they have that reputation whether you like it or not.
As could be seen from the sell-in figure for Mario 3D All-Stars, the game had a big physical print.
I do remember people accusing Nintendo of utilizing a scarcity tactic at the hardware side with stuff like Wii and NES Classic when in reality what was happening was that those products were met with record breaking demand that outstripped past industry trends, from which the forecasts were based upon.

Last edited:
I really wish people around here would stop peddling this bullshit around.

Sorry to break it to you, but gaming isn't this elite VIP club where only special snowflakes like you who can afford it are allowed inside. It's a medium of entertainment that covers a very wide spectrum of audiences from various social backgrounds and it's affordable to pretty much anyone who isn't struggling with literal poverty.

Also, don't make me laugh about this "Nintendo good at value" crap. They push the same BS as anyone else, good AND bad.

It absolutely is an expensive hobby. Even for all of us living in a spoiled first world country with the luxury of using an online gaming forum discussing videogames. They’re not cheap. It’s not a VIP club, but it is absolutely an expensive hobby. Not sure what else would convince you other than… consider the cost of consoles, internet access, accessories, a television, a subscription, and then consider how much games themselves cost.

I think the truest thing you can state about videogames is literally that they are an expensive hobby. In order for games to be as feature-filled and rich as they are, the cost to make them is extremely high, thus requiring the price of the games being high.

Although economically speaking, games have never been cheaper. N64 games were routinely $50-60. That’s the equivalent of $109 in 2023. And games were teeny tiny and made within 12-18 months back then.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
It absolutely is an expensive hobby. Even for all of us living in a spoiled first world country with the luxury of using an online gaming forum discussing videogames. They’re not cheap. It’s not a VIP club, but it is absolutely an expensive hobby. Not sure what else would convince you other than… consider the cost of consoles, internet access, accessories, a television, a subscription, and then consider how much games themselves cost.

I think the truest thing you can state about videogames is literally that they are an expensive hobby. In order for games to be as feature-filled and rich as they are, the cost to make them is extremely high, thus requiring the price of the games being high.

Although economically speaking, games have never been cheaper. N64 games were routinely $50-60. That’s the equivalent of $109 in 2023. And games were teeny tiny and made within 12-18 months back then.
I got 3 words for you: second hand market.

It's very easy to get a second hand PS4 or Series S at a price that's reasonably affordable these days, and the same goes for putting together a mid-range PC out of used components. Video games themselves constantly go on sale and it doesn't even take that long for many new ones to get discounted mere months after the release. But then you also have second hand key marketplaces where you can get many games for pennies, and if you're into physical collections then you have retail chains that resell second hand games (in the US I think that's still GameStop but here in Europe you have retailers like CeX).

Bro, if gaming was this affordable when I was a kid, then rest assured, I wouldn't have to spend half my childhood gaming on a rickety old PC that was powered by coal and best intentions. And speaking of, even back in those days, I was still somehow able to find a way to play video games, even though I grew up on the poverty line.

So what I'm saying is that you shouldn't mistake life-long passions with casual experiences. Sure, people like us devote enough of our time and energy to this hobby that we are willing to pimp out entire gaming rooms for ourselves, but an average gamer will usually go with just one platform at best, and that's totally affordable for most people. I mean, it's probably the biggest entertainment industry today, so you think that all this growth was possible only thanks to nerds like us?

Top Bottom