• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ian Bremmer: Trump, Putin held second informal meeting at G-20

giphy.gif

I don't think there is anything wrong with him meeting with another foreign leader as president. Are you supposed to disclouse every presidential meeting with foreign leaders?

When confused as to the significance of a headline, I highly recommend reading the body of the article. Quite often, you will find the context that eludes you.

Trump's interactions with Putin are the subject of particularly intense scrutiny in the U.S., because of the ongoing special counsel and congressional investigations into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

That Trump was not joined in the conversation by his own translator is a breach of national security protocol, Bremmer noted, though one that the president likely would not know about."

You missed the part where like 8 of this top campaign people said there was never ANY meetings with ANY Russains (including one under oath), and then it turns out they all had meetings that should have been disclosed and weren't.

Yes, and I also left out the fact that he fired the FBI Director "because of the Russia thing" and then met with Russian officials in the Oval Office the next day and leaked to them sensitive intelligence.

But yeah, this is all a big hoax.

Compare Putin's Russia to Republican America and you will understand why they are natural allies.

Progressive America and Britain will need the help of Germany, France, Canada, Netherlands, Scandinavia, etc. to beat them. We are in this together.

KingV

I don't think there is anything wrong with him meeting with another foreign leader as president. Are you supposed to disclouse every presidential meeting with foreign leaders?

Yes. Official records act most likely covers it.

cameron

WaPo:Trump and Putin had a previously undisclosed hour-long meeting at the Group of 20 summit in Germany
The second meeting, unreported at the time, took place at a dinner for G20 leaders, a senior administration official said. Halfway through the meal, President Trump left his seat to occupy an empty chair next to Russian President Vladimir Putin. Trump was alone, and Putin was attended only by his official interpreter.
The only version of the conversation provided to White House aides was that given by Trump himself, the official said. Reporters traveling with the White House were not informed, and there was no formal readout of the chat.

The administration official spoke on condition of anonymity to confirm the session, first reported Monday by Ian Bremmer, president of the New York-based Eurasia Group, in a newsletter to group clients. Bremmer said in a telephone interview that he was told by two participants who witnessed it at the dinner, which was attended only by leaders attending the summit and some of their spouses.

Leaders who reported the meeting to him, Bremmer said, were “bemused, non-plussed , befuddled” by the animated conversation, held in full view — but not listening distance — of others present.

Putin’s aide provided the only Russian-English interpretation, the official said, because Trump’s designated dinner companion for the evening was Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, and the president has brought only a Japanese-English interpreter.

WedgeX

Banned
That Trump was not joined in the conversation by his own translator is a breach of national security protocol, Bremmer noted, though one that the president likely would not know about.

He's the fucking President. Not knowing ceased to be an excuse s long fucking time ago.

Cuburt

The President is new at this. Cut him some slack.

Also, last week from NYT: Excerpts From Trump’s Conversation With Journalists on Air Force One

It's kinda funny as his initial answer "what meeting?" could imply that there was more than one meeting and the reporter needs to be more specific, but it's probably more likely that Donald is just a dumbass and struggles to understand the simplest of questions.
It could also be reflexively playing dumb when he wanted to hide an undisclosed meeting.

That Trump was not joined in the conversation by his own translator is a breach of national security protocol, Bremmer noted, though one that the president likely would not know about.

Every time I think we've hit peak stupidity, every damn time. There is no summit on Mount Stupidity... it just goes up and up.

If there wasn't anything wrong with it, why would the White House go to great lengths to keep the meeting a secret?

Trump being alone brings more risks than just him blabbing; they could tamper with any electronics on his person or plant devices on his possessions. That stuff is very hard to spot for a single person without tradecraft training.

I hope at least the Secret Service had eyes on him.

So if they didn’t have Kompromat on him before...

They have a private meeting and they have the only records of what was said. Trump handed them a blank fucking check.

I do not even know what to say anymore...I am starting to think the excuse of gross incompetence or separate but converging interests is irresponsible at this point. I do not understand how anybody can think this is acceptable and not be interested in ensuring the integrity of our executive branch. What is it going to take to motivate Congressional action? We are living in a cartoon.

So if they didn’t have Kompromat on him before...

They have a private meeting and they have the only records of what was said. Trump handed them a blank fucking check.

Well, the German BND security service has been pretty good keeping the tabs on Russians moving in their backyard, so we can at least hope they have a clear picture what went down in the room.

SKINNER!

Banned
Remember, Bill got impeached for getting his dick sucked in the white house and lying about it.

Trump - on the other hand - is lying out of his teeth and clearly in cahoots with the Russians...and yet...he's still president.

#onlyinAmerica.

Remember, Bill got impeached for getting his dick sucked in the white house and lying about it.

Trump - on the other hand - is lying out of his teeth and clearly in cahoots with the Russians...and yet...he's still president.

#onlyinAmerica.

Republicans. The same people ready to impeach Hillary the second she became president over emails.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I do not even know what to say anymore...I am starting to think the excuse of gross incompetence or separate but converging interests is irresponsible at this point. I do not understand how anybody can think this is acceptable and not be interested in ensuring the integrity of our executive branch. What is it going to take to motivate Congressional action? We are living in a cartoon.

Yeah, or what happens when Trump convinces Russia to prod North Korea into firing a nuke (and denying all liability), so Trump can have a war?

When Trump launches a nuke: "he thought it was the diet coke button, cut him some slack"

Nekofrog

Banned
I'll bet Trump is so stupid that even Putin can't stand to be in a one on one conversation with him, and he's his master.

#onlyinAmerica.

Republicans don't know the meaning of double standards/ hypocrisy

jstripes

Banned
I'm 100% convinced Putin is fluent in English, or at least if he's not comfortable speaking perfectly clearly (so he relies on a translator), understands it without issue.

It's all political posturing.

At the NATO summit, French President Macron held a press conference in fluent English with British Prime Minister May, but held his press conference with Trump in French, using a translator.

Basically, it's a subtle way of showing contempt for Trump.

Top Bottom