• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection listing on Walmart.com

brunoa76

Branduil said:
If they can get SotC running in HD at 60fps, that will be really nice.

Even with my SD TV, I would buy it for the 60fps. The low framerate of the original game did hurt my experience.

Massa

ShockingAlberto said:
Framerate drops aren't art, no matter how much Insomniac tries to convince you otherwise.

It's funny you should say that because I've heard people describing the frame drops in SOTC as adding to the experience (in a serious way, not like this thread).

The Insomniac engineer you're alluding to is just better informed than you on the subject: people that think it's cool to cause frame rate drops really do exist. It's kind of irrelevant to Insomniac's games though, that either ran at a stable 30fps or between 30-60fps, never reaching the atrocious levels that SOTC and other games do.

ScOULaris

The potentially confirmed existence of an upcoming Team Ico Collection is good news. The April 2011 date mentioned in that listing is not. I am SO sick of waiting for everything related to Team Ico. Last Guardian included. Granted, I am very much looking forward to it, but I have been waiting for so fucking long now that it just pisses me off.

ScOULaris

Because Sony was originally putting out press making us believe that, AT THE LATEST, The Last Guardian would be ready by 2010. Hell, after the trailer at E3 2009, we never thought that we would have to wait another two years for it.

It's not like I don't want Ueda and his team to take their time making a great game, but hoping with each new trade show that they will at least show SOMETHING to update their fans, only to be given nothing whatsoever is what has continued to bother me.

But I don't sit around throughout the day getting upset about it. It only gets to me when rumors start circling that we are going to be getting a release date or new trailer at this-or-that event, but then we are left empty handed.

Novella said:
This makes me uncomfortable.

Let's just go ahead and get some guy to repaint the "Mona Lisa" and hang it in the museum.

More like:
Full-Metal-Jacket-Deluxe-Edition-Blu-ray-B000UJ48UO-L.jpg

Gravijah

ScOULaris said:
Because Sony was originally putting out press making us believe that, AT THE LATEST, The Last Guardian would be ready by 2010. Hell, after the trailer at E3 2009, we never thought that we would have to wait another two years for it.

It's not like I don't want Ueda and his team to take their time making a great game, but hoping with each new trade show that they will at least show SOMETHING to update their fans, only to be given nothing whatsoever is what has continued to bother me.

But I don't sit around throughout the day getting upset about it. It only gets to me when rumors start circling that we are going to be getting a release date or new trailer at this-or-that event, but then we are left empty handed.
Try being a Gran Turismo fan!

Chrysalis said:
I get that, and that eases the hurt a bit. Still, I wonder whether any of these HD collections would have been made if the PS3 still offered full BC. Methinks not.

Yes, I think they would still be made.

I think if all ps3's had the EE/GS in them, then you would see a PS2 Classics section on PSN just like PSOne Classics. They would just be straight .iso dumps like the PS1 titles. Then you would see some PS2 HD conversions sold at retail alongside.

Holtz

Novella said:

Let's just go ahead and get some guy to repaint the "Mona Lisa" and hang it in the museum.
2s76rtt.jpg

Anyway, day one for me. Never played Ico, and SOTC is of my favorite games ever.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hopefully the cat is out of the bag next week

Anyone have those 2 pics from last week showing Ico in widescreen/HD? The ones from Ueda's gig.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What the hell? Why do people not want to see this happen? Oh my God, they're changing the game, they'll ruin it, noooooooooooo

Grow the fuck up. The collection will look better and allow more people to experience these games. I've never played either and I will play both when the collection comes out. Sony killed BC (perhaps the only good argument here) and there's no way I'm gonna buy a PS2 just to play a couple years-old games.

Empty

i know so many people who won't play these games because they are like £30 each here in the UK, and a few poor souls who never owned a PS2 and don't have backwards compatibility. hope they do this so some will stop borrowing my copies, and others will get to play it for the first time.

RustyO

I'm in. Would love HD Ico & SotC and will happily grab this, even owning both already.

Hope that the cover art actually looks good and not like that atrocious GoW one...

The negativity reminds me of my wife's initial reaction to the blu-ray release of Sleeping Beauty. She has nostalgia for the grainy vhs version and didn't like the crispness of the blu-ray. That is until we watched the special features and they mention that the BR release is as close to the original cells as the movie has ever been. She realized the beauty in it.

So yeah. This rerelease will be what SOTC should have been in those bullshots. What the game would have been without being limited to the PS2.

For those hoping for a jump in fps.... what would you do if the game stayed the way it was because it was the way it was intended to be and not a sacrifice to get the game to "work"? Just curious.

This is the equivalent of re-releasing a VHS movie on DVD (or literally in this case, from DVD to Bluray)

Nothing wrong with that at all (so long as they leave the gameplay identical to the original like they did with GOW Collection)

I'm not comfortable with the idea of shoehorning Trophies into the game though. For GOW it's fine since it suits the game but it would feel very out of place in these two games (still I suppose that once you get them, you don't have to think about them again)

MoonsaultSlayer said:
For those hoping for a jump in fps.... what would you do if the game stayed the way it was because it was the way it was intended to be and not a sacrifice to get the game to "work"? Just curious.
It was never locked to a low framerate.
It was 30fps, or was it 60fps in places. It should run better, unless they increase the resolution/LOD/effects to a point where it doesn't....

Nuclear Muffin said:
I'm not comfortable with the idea of shoehorning Trophies into the game though. For GOW it's fine since it suits the game but it would feel very out of place in these two games (still I suppose that once you get them, you don't have to think about them again)

The main game doesn't need them, they could put them in the time trials, have ones for collecting all fruit and lizards or something, the things that were already there for completionists.
Ico is a bit more limited for that kind of thing.

watership

It's going to be very interesting if these are up-rezed or modified in anyway. I convinced myself that the framerate and ghosting on Shadow of the Colossus were the reason i liked it so much.

zweifuss

Nuclear Muffin said:
This is the equivalent of re-releasing a VHS movie on DVD (or literally in this case, from DVD to Bluray)

Nothing wrong with that at all (so long as they leave the gameplay identical to the original like they did with GOW Collection)

FYI, ICO (NTSC version) was actually released on a CD, not a DVD. Also, the game looks nice and crisp on the psx2 emulator, so I wouldn't mind it remastered for HD. SOTC also looks fantastic on the emulator.

As for trophies, I'd be ok with them but what I'd really like to see is leaderboards for the time trials against the Colossi at the end of the game. You know how you can do time trials, this would be cool to implement online, and I'm sure not that difficult for the team to do.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
watership said:
It's going to be very interesting if these are up-rezed or modified in anyway. I convinced myself that the framerate and ghosting on Shadow of the Colossus were the reason i liked it so much.
You liked it because the framerate was terrible?

vodka-bull said:
I've never heard of slowdown issues with God of War and besides the trophies there's nothing they did which was worth a damn (ie 40 bucks) if the PS3 would still be backwardscompatible. And of course, they wouldn't release these HD collections if B/C would still exists.
I have a bc PS3 with GOW 2 and GOW collection. I'll gladly play the GOW collection over the PS2 version. The enhancements in the collection are huge.

I'm all for updating old games like this into HD collection packages at a cheap price.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The God of War PS2 games didn't slow down as much as they tore to shit. Now they don't tear at all on PS3. It's a big benefit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
watership said:
'Ghosting' in the game was its motion blur effect. Why wouldn't they keep that.

Ridley327

DidntKnowJack said:
I can't believe there are people actually questioning if a release like this is a good or bad thing. :lol
Was there anyone disappointed when Perfect Dark XBLA ran at 60 fps? I really don't see how SotC running at a steady clip would be any different from that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Awesome news, although its not really news, and the April 1st date is lol.

Im sure its coming though, it would do well im sure and it makes a nice collection with the 3rd game probably coming late next year.

Ridley327

The problem is the game slowed down a hell of a lot more times outside of those situations; the final colossus is an exercise in frustration since the game gives up on running at more than single-digit frames. The game was severely held back by the hardware.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Call me crazy, but sometimes when a collosus would perform an attack or fall, I tought the slow downs gave them a more cinematic effect or something. =\
Bad framerate != slowdowns.

They fall down slowly despite the crappy framerate.

Novella

Banned
Emerson said:
What the hell? Why do people not want to see this happen? Oh my God, they're changing the game, they'll ruin it, noooooooooooo

Grow the fuck up. The collection will look better and allow more people to experience these games. I've never played either and I will play both when the collection comes out. Sony killed BC (perhaps the only good argument here) and there's no way I'm gonna buy a PS2 just to play a couple years-old games.
I don't mean to be rude, but SOTC's framerate isn't an accident. Was Schindler's List black and white by accident?

Metalmurphy said:
Bad framerate != slowdowns.

They fall down slowly despite the crappy framerate.

Okay, then maybe not when they fall down. I haven't played the game in over a year so I don't remember much.

Maybe when they attack and the hero is being knocked around with debris flying everywhere while the framerate drops?

jett

D-Member
ICO should be an easy enough port.
If they can get SotC running at 60fps I'll be impressed, I also wonder how will they handle the fake HDR trickery SotC used on the PS2, if they can replicate it as-is.

Haunted

Novella said:

additional comment of mockery

Novella said:
I don't mean to be rude, but SOTC's framerate isn't an accident. Was Schindler's List black and white by accident?
Took you a bit long to come up with one, but that's an acceptable save.

Top Bottom