• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idea Factory: The Devil of RPG Makers?

desmax

And that's kind of a conversation stopper (and yes, I also know that this is a quote). Its like trying to discuss the aesthetics and being met with "cute things are cute", there's no conversation to be had around "what makes it fun?" "it just is"

I can understand that. So let me say more stuff.

Fun can be subjective, but I can understand people not enjoying their games. They tend to stack too many mechanics that doesn't really improve the games, just makes it complicated (Doesn't help that they do very lackluster tutorials).

Of course, I did enjoy some of the titles I've played from them (Neptunia mk2, Victory and Agarest 2), but eventually I just got tired of them. Tried re;birth 1 on Steam and I just got tired of it after a while (but maybe it's the re-used assets from the other games). Maybe I'll give them a shot some other time.

Tohsaka

The best part is having to actually experience each and every attack animation, thousands upon thousands of times. Such depth!

Well, you do have the option of skipping the attack animations to speed up the combat if you want, at least. I do that myself after a while, usually.

Toxi

Banned
They're more like the Ctrl+Alt+Del of RPG makers.

Copy+paste assets, unfunny jokes, little originality, cringe-worthy or creepy at times, the butt of countless jokes on the internet, but ultimately harmless.

Jazz573

They're more like the Ctrl+Alt+Del of RPG makers.

Copy+paste assets, unfunny jokes, little originality, cringe-worthy at times, the butt of countless jokes on the internet, but ultimately harmless.

Have you even played any of their newer games, like the Neptunia Rebirth games?

Toxi

Banned
Have you even played any of their newer games, like the Neptunia Rebirth games?
No, my impression from them comes from Neptunia and Mk 2 and watching someone else play one of their newer games. So maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about and they've done some real improvement.

I also haven't read Ctrl+Alt+Del in the last half decade.

I did derive some enjoyment from the more VN aspects, and Neptunia U as a whole (the latter not having a low framerate helped quite a bit)

oh okay, so that wasn't a naked tween in a bathtub. it was parody.

She is an adult and ruler of an entire nation ,hell even her little sister is 18 years old.

So, you acuse her as an underage for having a young look? Stop being so ignorant because there are plenty of real Life girls that looks very young.

You only think they make good games.

Actually lots of people here had a lot of fun with their games and they exist for that reason so a game that gave fun its a good game, speak for yourself and blame your taste.

Those games are not for everyone and they doesn't have to, stop pretending that they are "trash " before playing them, stop having a narrow view and try to be a little more empathic. And this comes from a very catholic person.

Toxi

Banned
She is an adult and ruler of an entire nation ,hell even her little sister is 18 years old.

So, you acuse her as an underage for having a young look? Stop being so ignorant because there are plenty of real Life girls that looks very young.
She's actually a 1000 year old dragon.

Durante

neptuniarebirth1_2015d9o86.jpg

neptuniarebirth1_2015nnoup.jpg

neptuniarebirth1_20156ipox.jpg

The best part is having to actually experience each and every attack animation, thousands upon thousands of times. Such depth!
You can skip those in all the Re;Birth games. Such convenience!

Parfait

We're talking about IF games, and more often than not, they cross the line. It's only matter of time before they get a blanket ban here.
They crossed the cute line, they're too cute to live.

I mean lets check out some stunning examples below!
(don't open with mum in the room)
http://i.imgur.com/KAFa6B5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6EUSBBg.jpg

Yes, we are indeed talking about Neptunia.

???

Scratchin my head here. What's wrong with these again?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I have nothing against excessive fanservice, moe, etc. And turn-based Japanese RPGs are my favorite kinds of games. But the few IF games I've played I wasn't into...

...the ones I've played featured a ton of grinding, small and uninteresting environments, awkward and convoluted systems. I do like my RPGs to have a bit more budget and more gameplay polish, though that's a lot to ask for this day and age with the market being what it is... to each their own though I guess. I don't think of them as "The Devil of RPG Makers" or anything. That level of vitriol is saved for Capcom and BOF6 :p

zelas

I had my suspicions about them, and Compile Heart, but I was desperate for a jrpg in the early days of the PS3. I ended up renting Cross Edge. I sent it back to gamefly the next day. Easily one of the worst gaming related mistakes I've ever made.

Arthea

I had my suspicions about them, and Compile Heart, but I was desperate for a jrpg in the early days of the PS3. I ended up renting Cross Edge. I sent it back to gamefly the next day. Easily one of the worst gaming related mistakes I've ever made.

well... here it goes, as I said, nobody even gets to the good part and only because game is super cheap, but it is a good game nevertheless.

Top Bottom