• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

kenta

Has no PEINS
This makes me sad. I feel like I've started to fall out of love with this podcast and this explains one of the reasons why. The things Chris describes in that post are the reasons why I would look forward to listening each week -- it wasn't just the same people every week, it felt like an ensemble and everyone clicked with each other. But given that I have a really hard time listening to Nick, knowing that he'll be on the cast every week is a big turnoff. With a rotating cast it was refreshing and exciting, but I currently have a backlog of like 8 Thumbs episodes because I would almost always rather listen to something else instead of listen to Nick

I also disagree with the idea that 4 people makes the podcast overwhelming or whatever -- it feels like 4-person-minimum podcasts have been the norm ever since video game podcasts have existed, going back to the Hotspot and 1UP days. What a bewildering decision

All that said, I just recently listened to the episode where they talked in-depth about Jurassic Park and Star Wars and enjoyed it a lot, so hearing that they're going to more openly discuss things other than games is cool. So in conclusion I dunno whatever

Boem

This makes me sad. I feel like I've started to fall out of love with this podcast and this explains one of the reasons why. The things Chris describes in that post are the reasons why I would look forward to listening each week -- it wasn't just the same people every week, it felt like an ensemble and everyone clicked with each other. But given that I have a really hard time listening to Nick, knowing that he'll be on the cast every week is a big turnoff. With a rotating cast it was refreshing and exciting, but I currently have a backlog of like 8 Thumbs episodes because I would almost always rather listen to something else instead of listen to Nick

I also disagree with the idea that 4 people makes the podcast overwhelming or whatever -- it feels like 4-person-minimum podcasts have been the norm ever since video game podcasts have existed, going back to the Hotspot and 1UP days. What a bewildering decision

All that said, I just recently listened to the episode where they talked in-depth about Jurassic Park and Star Wars and enjoyed it a lot, so hearing that they're going to more openly discuss things other than games is cool. So in conclusion I dunno whatever

:(((((

I love Nick. Especially his childhood stories, but really just any time he starts up a story. He's great!

fucknicklovenick

gabbo

Really hasn't it always been about games but also just random stuff?

It was always centered around games and the theyd go off on crazy tangents before bring it full circle.
To think, Bird noises/Big Bird/Puiffins, shitty wizard, and Far Cry 2 all started with game discussions

Shaneus

It was always centered around games and the theyd go off on crazy tangents before bring it full circle.
To think, Bird noises/Big Bird/Puiffins, shitty wizard, and Far Cry 2 all started with game discussions
Yeah. It's a bit of a shame that crazy discussions will no longer stem from random game discussions, because that's where I think a lot of the best stuff came from.

I think the rabbit hole discussions are best left organic, rather than kind of encouraging them by opening the topics up more.

And you don't have to play games all the time to talk about them, either. Hell, I barely play a few hours a week but still like to talk about games and the industry.

TTG

Not enough income to justify doing prep to grow enough income is a problem. I originally stopped listening because you were talking almost exclusively about games I would never play(cell phone, niche indie stuff, DOTA) and some of the chemistry issues you mentioned in a link above. Then my interest in videogames waned and that was that. So, I'm looking forward to a broader subject matter and a return of the original cast.

If I might make a suggestion, try streaming something besides Dark Souls and that theme park game. I have such fond memories for the Far Cry and Kerbel streams, Crusader Kings too. Get together and do RE7 or something.

Best of luck, resubscribed, did you see there's now a Boston Dynamics robot on wheels? etc. etc.

PS: Shout out to the Idle Book Club.

@MUWANdo

Banned
And you don't have to play games all the time to talk about them, either. Hell, I barely play a few hours a week but still like to talk about games and the industry.

I gave up on this podcast because I got sick of listening to people strain to talk about games they haven't played or games they feel compelled to discuss even though they clearly aren't interested in or informed about them, so I'm glad they recognise it's an issue and I hope they figure something out that works for everyone.

thenexus6

I think three is a good number for the podcast.. my favourites are

CAG Cast - three
Thumbs - three
8-4 - varies, but sometimes when they have like 5 or 6 people + it gets a little hectic.

Sloane

Banned
I gave up on this podcast because I got sick of listening to people strain to talk about games they haven't played or games they feel compelled to discuss even though they clearly aren't interested in or informed about them, so I'm glad they recognise it's an issue and I hope they figure something out that works for everyone.
Yeah, that was an issue for me too a few years ago but I felt like they had kinda "fixed" it in 2016 -- I didn't mind hearing about Hitman or Planet Coaster or whatever for the dozens time and actually found it on some level more interesting than the former format. Maybe making the video game Thumbs cast a monthly thing would have eased the pressure but I'm also curious about where they're heading with the new cast, so whatever.

I doubt I'll keep subscribing. I really enjoy their deeper thoughts on games (especially Chris), but the non-gaming talk usually devolves into them constantly talking over each other or repeatedly going off on random tangents. Robot News was about the only non-gaming talk I consistently enjoyed.

The only constant is change though, and I understand why they want to change things up so I don't hold anything against them. Gotta do you!

Man, I didn't realize that the "wow we finally have a console and this game but oh man, a memory card (!) what is that, oh well we'll leave the console on for days" was a common experience. I always had felt silly thinking back to that moment (coincidentally it was also with Spyro for me, which I have incredibly fond memories of) - the struggles to eek out every moment of gameplay I could get away with under the constant threat of when will the Playstation blow up or be "accidentally" turned off by someone.

And now I'm deeply saddened thinking of the amazing, lighthearted, imaginative PS1 platformer/adventure lineup (Spyro, Crash, etc.) and how nobody has managed to replicate that style of game since.

Haines

Banned
I think idle thumbs will come back.

I could be wrong. Im willing to be wrong.

Thry seem so strong and almost best in class when talking games.

When they start doing robot news or other stuff it can get...well..i tune out pretty quick usually.

Ill certsinly try the new podcast but i have a feeling this is just going to end up a small curve in a lomg road.

Can anyone remember in which episode of the Crusader Kings streams
Ragnar died
?

Judging by the Youtube descriptions its E7, but I can't find it.

I'm aware that the spoiler tag is a little silly, but I'd strongly recommend that anyone reading this watches the series, and it'd be a shame for that to be known. Even if one of the podcast titles reveals it :p

I've known what the Idle Thumbs guys looks like for a while now, but as I look at this clip it strikes me how similar Chris looks to Jeff Goldblum. It's something with his current hairstyle. It's probably just me.

Fun fact: Jeff Goldblum has described my appearance as containing "a fountain of hair."

radaxian

Effectively yes, although we've been having fun doing Thumbs episodes that are reader mail only so we'll probably keep doing those on a less regular basis. Subscribe to both casts!

All good. Are you still cutting together an episode 300 'spectacular'? I think in Ep 299 you mentioned something about Jake pulling some old clips for it.

All good. Are you still cutting together an episode 300 'spectacular'? I think in Ep 299 you mentioned something about Jake pulling some old clips for it.

He's still working on it as far as I know! It's dumb but should be fun for longtime fans. Hopefully he gets done in time.

Anno

I'd actually find it really hilarious if you kept this going forever. Episode 299 and 3/4, so on and so forth.

I like this idea. Can you just keep splitting the ratio until/unless you feel like getting back to a "proper" episode 300 with new music and all that?

I like this idea. Can you just keep splitting the ratio until/unless you feel like getting back to a "proper" episode 300 with new music and all that?

It'll have new music!

(I actually did the new music before we decided on spinning off a new podcast, and then I ended up tweaking the music a bit for the new show. They're still very similar, but Idle Thumbs 300 will have its own theme.)

Boem

Probably I good moment to thank you guys for everything. I have been a listener on and off over the years (since around the beginning I think!), only taking some breaks when life distracted me from podcasts. Jeez, I started listening to you guys before I started university, and that's years ago now! I've grown into a man with a job and chest hair and everything.

I discovered you guys through Mixnmojo and their related websites - I mostly remember Jake hanging out there, I don't know how involved the others were. I remember Spaff from those days as well, although I don't remember if he was a part of the Lucas network. Followed early website Idle Thumbs, Jake's adventures in early Telltale (where he met the lovely Sean), all that stuff. I'm the kind of guy who's still in this specific corner of the internet because I liked Monkey Island when I was 9. Weird.

Anyway, I know you guys aren't completely quitting, but it does feel a bit like an end to an era. Honestly I'm happy about you guys doing a more general podcast because I haven't really been playing games for years, so this feels more up my alley. In recent years I was always the happiest when something like Robot News™ or Nick's Childhood™ came up.

Anyway I talk too much. Point is, it's weird how you guys have been a nerdy part of my life for years at this point. Thanks for that. I've laughed a lot. Keep going and I'll see you on the new show.

I like this. The teaser was pretty great.

Just fwiw, I think if this is gonna be a regular video thing as well I would prefer a single camera rather than cutting to different angles. Less work for you guys and it's easier to watch.

IMO of course.

Boem

Just fwiw, I think if this is gonna be a regular video thing as well I would prefer a single camera rather than cutting to different angles. Less work for you guys and it's easier to watch.

IMO of course.

Just put a single camera on Jake's face. That's where all the action is anyway.

Jake

IMO of course.

The camera cuts are all controlled by the computer! Once the episode gets going, it just does its thing. I'm going to keep messing with the setup though, and always listening for feedback, to try and make it feel better to watch. It is my Hobby.

Idle Thumbs was the first podcast I ever listened to - I was on my first ever international business trip in Paris, 7 months, through Winter, on my own with no friends around. I read a couple of references to the cast here on GAF and decided to give it a go as I needed something to fill the hours when I wasn't working.

Long story short, being able to listen to you guys made my evenings there not feel so lonesome. I have some great memories of walking through snowy Parisian streets chuckling at the amazing skits, music and conversation. Thanks Thumbs! Will certainly be following the new venture.

ACE 1991

I enjoyed the teaser, and will definitely be tuning in to the new pod! Question to the Thumbs Crew, although I'm sure it's been answered: can listeners still expect semi-regular games discussion (in whatever form) weaved in to other topics on the podcast?

Boem

Those are easy but also gross.

I like em gross.

I'm minutes away from going on an extended vacation, so I just realized I won't be able to listen to the final podcast until more than a month from now. Countdown to tears extended. Idle Thumbs will never die for me.

I enjoyed the teaser, and will definitely be tuning in to the new pod! Question to the Thumbs Crew, although I'm sure it's been answered: can listeners still expect semi-regular games discussion (in whatever form) weaved in to other topics on the podcast?

I'd recommend subscribing to both Important If True and Idle Thumbs still. Our plan for Important If True is not really to be a "what have you been watching/playing/reading/whatever" podcast. That stuff might come up but it won't be the focus. I think you're more likely to hear game talk on Idle Thumbs, even if episodes don't come out every week.

Top Bottom