• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

Jintor

I'm still going through Telegraph Avenue, but around page 160 or so I turned the page and suddenly
the viewpoint character was Barack Obama

That threw me for a curve.

Shaneus

Man this was classic Ironman.
I loved when they said it all in unison. Once they started clarifying that "classic Ironman" was in terms of him eating all the food and drinking the tequila... culminating in that chorus, I fucking guffawed.

Nah, I'm not one of those. I skim read when I'm not at work, so guess I just missed it.
Fair enough, I tend to go through these with a fine-toothed comb so apologies if I seem like some anally-retentive nutjob... much ;)

Rahk

Started play Dishonored yesterday.

I liked the part where I knocked out a friendly man by throwing two bottles at him and disbanded the loyalist conspiracy.

Jintor

Motherfucking Telegraph Avenue.
A chapter that's just one stupidly long run-on sentence? I don't care how artsy you are, that shit's just hard to read.

commissar

A chapter that's just one stupidly long run-on sentence? I don't care how artsy you are, that shit's just hard to read.
Hahaha what. I found Iain Banks' The Algrebraist insufferable enough with its
paragraph long sentences.
I'd probably just skip a book if I came across what you described.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha what. I found Iain Banks' The Algrebraist insufferable enough with its paragraph long sentences. I'd probably just skip a book if I came across what you described.

long before that section, the writing is insufferable

Jintor

I hope the next book isn't quite so expensive :(

It was fucking god damn $30 in stores here! I could've bought two books off bookdepository for that! Although I guess it was also $18 on bookdepository. I guess my point is that they should announce the list and let me stockpile books in advance so the shipping time doesn't punch me in the dick.

That Kotick story had me rolling. Seems like the Thumbs can't get anywhere near a plane without crazy shit happening but not really.

flowsnake

Hahaha what. I found Iain Banks' The Algrebraist insufferable enough with its
paragraph long sentences.
I'd probably just skip a book if I came across what you described.

I don't remember that. Maybe he does that in all of his books, and I like them so I'm used to it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

It was fucking god damn $30 in stores here! I could've bought two books off bookdepository for that! Although I guess it was also $18 on bookdepository. I guess my point is that they should announce the list and let me stockpile books in advance so the shipping time doesn't punch me in the dick.

maybe this is sacrilege, but it was $10 on the iTunes bookstore or Amazon, if that's your thing.

I do all my reading on tablet, nowadays. Unfortunately, I can't find Evidence of Things Unseen in any digital format. Digital availability might be something the Thumbs want to consider in the future, but obviously it's understandable if it isn't really a concern.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You live in australia though don't you?

Everything is goddamn overpriced here.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Well I think this postcard pretty much sums up idle thumbs.

AxiW0.jpg

fallout

The Idle Thumbs Book Club is steadily teaching me that I am probably not smart enough for book readin'. It's been a fun challenge, but I think I'll probably bow out of the next few and switch back to lighter reading.

LCfiner

Damn. making me all jealous. My card has the "crew nearly passed out from boredom and wrists cramping in pain" perfunctory signatures.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Additional unique content was one of the rewards for higher-tier backers.

#gettinpaid

:(

I'm sorry to keep airing this publicly, but I've Kickstarter messaged, sent a message to the Idle Thumbs question email, posted here and sent an email to the support address and got no response.

I paid $210 but only got the $50 reward tier. Am I out of luck or is there something you guys can do? Cheers.

To Jake, Sean and Chris: even those small streams are enjoyable. Please keep doing them.

Also, I don't know how busy Steve Gaynor is right now, but the way he talks about playing games would make it very interesting to watch him play something during a stream. Maybe you can work something out when he is in the area again.

Something like Jagged Alliance 2 or something :)

Thanks again for doing the Tennnes stream. Interested in the discussion on it.

Also, EDGE (I call it Edge) magazine has a nice 2-page preview on Quadrilateral Cowboy, the new game by Blendo Games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So after finishing Cat's Cradle, I started reading Telegraph Avenue again, from the first Gwyn chapter, and I'm back on board to finish it, I think. Reading such a short, compartmentalized, snappy book before reading something as verbose as TA really helped cleanse the palette.

Jake

To Jake, Sean and Chris: even those small streams are enjoyable. Please keep doing them.

Also, I don't know how busy Steve Gaynor is right now, but the way he talks about playing games would make it very interesting to watch him play something during a stream. Maybe you can work something out when he is in the area again.
We've talked about maybe just going for a Minerva's Den stream, but yeah getting Steve on a stream would be sweet.

Top Bottom