• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Did the shirts ship in the same parcel as the prints? I seem to have not gotten mine.
If you upped your pledge but didn't up your reward tier, you might be in trouble. I'm waiting to hear back from Sean via the Kickstarter page.

Glad everyone is liking their rewards -- we're working with a fulfillment house to get stuff out and we've been regularly hiccup free except for a couple things I'm hearing about in here so if for some reason you didn't get your shirt (or other rewards) email us at support@idlethumbs.net and we'll get it figured out asap.

Aaron

The Thumbs shirt is the first shirt I've gotten from a kickstarter / website support drive that I can actually wear in public. Helps there's nothing on the back, and it's a soothing blue instead of a harsh black.

Shaneus

I'm across the ditch and my stuff rocked up yesterday, I can't imagine you'll be waiting much longer.
It could well be today. I've been ordering shitloads of stuff recently and I have two packages to collect from the post office (aka Mum and Dad) when I get home. One I'm pretty sure is Forza Horizon. It's with renewed hope that the other is the Idle Thumbs gear :)

Hopefully the posties didn't have a field day with it first :/

In light of getting the physical rewards, I finally decided to play Thirty Flights of Loving...I love it!
I got so fucking attached to the characters, even though I'm still so confused...getting drunk with Anita(?) was beautiful though.

Edit: Dev commentary is pretty great, interesting to see how many things were happy accidents.
Playing through it again, I love how the use of sound--he nailed that. Every area that was supposed to feel populated actually felt busy because of the sound (particularly the party). The music cues were perfect too.

kch

I regret not increasing my pledge to get the print. It looks so damn good!
Sad day :-( The t-shirt is really nice though.

Shaneus

No package yet... but soon, hopefully! Guessing that just like the game, the packages are received in order from least awesome to most awesome recipient (yes, including those where it was only shipped domestically).

Corto

YES! My shirt and my card arrived today. Thanks a bunch Idle Thumbs.

And I got an Allard on my card!

C6BD756A-81B4-4D73-B959-4354398C9EE3-412-0000008116D38A5D.jpg

12ED84B3-1A73-4C2F-BC7F-9B10CEDC7BB3-412-000000811117C03E.jpg

Sober

T-Shirt showed up the other day, looks like the thumbs had a blast just writing the postcards whenever. Looks like a lot of them are unique or different for the most part. Here's mine:

cTHvh.jpg

Now I feel compelled to buy BL2 and also play DayZ. Everything else I have checked off there.

Jake

T-Shirt showed up the other day, looks like the thumbs had a blast just writing the postcards whenever. Looks like a lot of them are unique or different for the most part. Here's mine:

cTHvh.jpg

Now I feel compelled to buy BL2 and also play DayZ. Everything else I have checked off there.

I take notes when we record (so I can remember games discussed and possible episode titles), and for most of the post-Kickstarter episodes I took the notes on a postcard which we all signed when recording was done.

ozhenson

Got my postcard and T-Shirt today, it really is a wicked comfortable shirt. Colour me impressed.

Although, there is one mystery word on my postcard(Id post a picture but am predisposed at the moment). I assume Chris wrote his middle name, but it looks like it says Sioux Fan. Anybody think they can shed light on this mystery?

FStop7

Banned

cTHvh.jpg

"Fortress" looked like "Fathers" to me at first.

Team Fathers 2 is a game I would probably buy!

Corto

My idle swag arrived! Pics after I finish making breakfast.

Get your priorities straight man! First the pics.

And I didn't knew that the Book Club was already in the second episode! Some catching up is in order. I still need to read Cloud Atlas before listening to that podcast.

Shaneus

I take notes when we record (so I can remember games discussed and possible episode titles), and for most of the post-Kickstarter episodes I took the notes on a postcard which we all signed when recording was done.
That's... actually pretty fucking awesome. Saves paper, time and people get something unique that they can associate with an actual episode.

jdl

Banned
So has the Scoops doppleganger issue been formally confronted? I'm feeling very unresolved on the entire thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm skipping ahead to Telegraph Avenue. I'll return to Cloud Atlas later.

I can't stand Telegraph Avenue. I got about fifty pages into it and couldn't bring myself to read anymore. It felt very self indulgent to me. Like the author was challenging himself to end every paragraph with a witticism. It got to the point where I found it almost unreadable.

I then started reading Cat's Cradle for the first time. It made it all better.

Mar

Which one was yours? I don't remember hearing your name.

I can't remember the exact wording of the question, but it was related to nudity and sexuality in video games, and if they saw it as ever improving to the point of being accepted and taken maturely just as it is in film and other media.

Jintor

These guys are probably the only guys I'll endure a discussion of Lords' Management for because it was pretty goddamn amusing.

This week's break was fantastic. Everyone riffing off one another into an increasingly stupid but monumentally hilarious anecdote.

Fredescu

I can't stand Telegraph Avenue. I got about fifty pages into it and couldn't bring myself to read anymore. It felt very self indulgent to me. Like the author was challenging himself to end every paragraph with a witticism. It got to the point where I found it almost unreadable.
I'm struggling with it too. It feels like every chapter and paragraph is a series of nested parentheses that takes a long time to get to the point. I haven't given up completely yet though.

I can't remember the exact wording of the question, but it was related to nudity and sexuality in video games, and if they saw it as ever improving to the point of being accepted and taken maturely just as it is in film and other media.
Ah yes, that was a good one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotta start goin to the idle forums.

Jintor

I kind of wish they would just publish a list of books for the months ahead because buying books is like 3x as expensive if I reliably expect to obtain them within the month for the book club

Alternatively I might just buy them from bookdepository and come back to the bookcasts when necessary.

Rufus

I'm always surprised by how developers and press miss the strangest things, like Jake not knowing that the people at the bar in Dishonored were allies.
I play games like I'm writing the strategy guide. Only now do I realize that I may be in the minority in that. Hm.

Jintor

Well, he mentioned that he turned off all the UI elements, so that probably had a large part to do with it. Assassins' Creed for instance is incredibly hard to read without UI elements (in terms of knowing where to go at least)

Aaron

I knew the people are the bar were allies simply how games are designed and paced. You get the first big set piece (the escape), and then your home base with your homies. Because Jake makes games that have a different set of rules, I can understand him not thinking that way.

Rufus

I suppose he could have been analyzing something else. That doesn't erase his previous experiences with games though.

Well, he mentioned that he turned off all the UI elements, so that probably had a large part to do with it. Assassins' Creed for instance is incredibly hard to read without UI elements (in terms of knowing where to go at least)
I guess he checked out during Samule's dialogue, too. I don't mean to beleaguer this point, so don't you start another dance with me, Jintor. (I'm watching you.)

Just something that struck me like a crumpled up piece of paper to the back of my head.

Jake

I guess he checked out during Samule's dialogue, too. I don't mean to beleaguer this point, so don't you start another dance with me, Jintor. (I'm watching you.)

I was super distracted at that moment because it was the first environment I could really screw around in, so I kind of did tune out during that dialog, and then immediately jumped on and off of every surface, hid behind stuff, jumped into the water, walked around behind all buildings and back alleys I could, etc, and then went into the bar and probably forgot I was even supposed to be there by that point, so I was freaked out to see two guys there.

Rufus

It great. Get to it, chop chop.

I was super distracted at that moment because it was the first environment I could really screw around in, so I kind of did tune out during that dialog, and then immediately jumped on and off of every surface, hid behind stuff, jumped into the water, walked around behind all buildings and back alleys I could, etc, and then went into the bar and probably forgot I was even supposed to be there by that point, so I was freaked out to see two guys there.
That paints a very bumbling spy kind of picture in my mind.

When you climb around the outside of the bar, there's an open window a maid looks out of. She has a unique reaction to you suddenly appearing in front of the window ("You must be Corvo..." or something), but I suppose you hid from her, too. :D

sohois

Hey Idle Thumbs, do you have trouble with fractions?

If yes, you should probably play Frog Fractions!

It makes learning* fun**

*frog fractions may not feature learning

**frog fractions is not responsible for fun

Seriously though you should play this and then talk about it.

Corto

Vonnegut makes everything better. ;)

castlegar

Is Cat's Cradle an upcoming book for the 'cast?

Shaneus

No package for me today. I don't think. Unless they sent it via FedEx, in which case... it came for me today, but I couldn't sign for it :(

For those who chucked in $200, would the package be small enough to, say, fit inside a meterbox?

Or could anyone provide a photo/measurements?

xenist

That green pullover sweater the guys were going on about is an actual part of a military uniform. I don't know if the US Army has them but we had them in Greece and I'm almost certain they have them in the UK too. It's actually part of the semi-formal winter uniform usually worn by officers indoors. I still kept wearing mine after I left the army. They're very nice.

Random fact of the day.

Top Bottom