• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: IEM Season VIII: Cologne – StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

SamuraiX-

The Intel Extreme Masters is ESL's flagship competition sponsored by Intel. IEM is an extensive tournament spanning many months and individual competitions across the globe culminating in an annual World Championship.

iz3mq7QfigefU.jpg

The StarCraft II online qualifiers for IEM Cologne took place in two stages: the first stage was an open sign up and the second stage seeded players based on their previous results. There were three qualifiers in total that awarded tournament spots to four players from Europe, two players from North and South America and two players from Asia and Oceania. The eight qualified players received a fully paid trip to Cologne. Regional qualifiers ensure that there is a diverse spectrum of talent from all over the globe.

The main event will take place over three stages. The first stage will spotlight the local StarCraft II talent with two brackets of eight participants each competing for four spots in the second stage. The top four players of the first stage will join the eight players from the online qualifiers as well as four other wildcard players. These 16 players will then play in a group stage, battling fiercely to advance to the 8-man playoffs.

Format

• Stage 1
    - Two double-elimination brackets consisting of eight players each.
    - Top 2 players from each bracket advance to Stage 2.
  • Stage 2
    - Four groups consisting of four players each (4 Stage 1 winners, 8 qualified players and 4 wildcard invites) compete in a dual tournament format.
    - Top 2 players from each group advance to Stage 3.
  • Stage 3
    - Single-elimination bracket consisting of eight players.
    - Quarterfinals and Semifinals are Best of 5.
    - Grand Final is Best of 7.
Prize Pool

$25,000 and 4,000 WCS Points will be distributed among players as follows:

• ibyiYRrSeC6v05.png
    1st Place - $10,000 + 750 WCS Points
  • i0VwyHqeVdrEQ.png
    2nd Place - $4,000 + 500 WCS Points
  • ibulctIZcnpWXu.png
    3rd/4th Place - $2,000 + 375 WCS Points
  • 5th - 8th Place - $1,000 + 250 WCS Points
  • 9th - 12th Place - $400 + 125 WCS Points
  • 13th - 16th Place - $350 + 125 WCS Points
Casters and Hosts

i3aksPgk6oYkb.jpg

Participants

iS0zHQESrxqh6.png

ibtok8ScKNiWSk.jpg

Note: The player in Group A is the HerO of Team Liquid, not the herO of CJ Entus.

ibninno6XxcHB.png

Results

Schedule

Streams

Majine

Banned
DerZuhälter;100604756 said:
Mhh Cologne you say. I might actually go there in person. If I'd find someone interested enough :\

I can come to Germany, but only if I can sleep at your place.

SamuraiX-

HasuObs playing pretty well. Probably my favorite European Protoss. He actually prefers playing a safe macro game over abusing bull shit all-ins.

SamuraiX-

Round of 16 Groups:

EAJNVcA.jpg

Fucking Patience. Hope he gets curb stomped by jjakji and qxc.

Happy to see HyuN sneak in there over Leenock. Too bad for viOLet and Grubby. Korea too stronk.

Group A stacked as fuck.

I'll be rooting for ForGG, Polt and INnoVation since jjakji already qualified for Katowice. Also for Jaedong because he's fucking Jaedong. Would love to see Rain go far as well. :3

survivor

Banned
ForGG played really bad in game 1. Sure he didn't know that Hero had a hidden third base, but he delayed his Ghosts for so long that he just got destroyed by storms. Game 2 however was just lol

Can't wait for jjakji to reck Dear again.

survivor

Banned
Just noticed there is only one Zerg left and it's Jaedong. So I really want him to at least make it to the finals to guarantee a spot at Katowice. As for the other player, either Innovation or Rain.

Aaron

Were the Rain games good? Just saw that he swept everyone 4-0
Late on this, but saw most of his games, and thought they were good. His pvp series against Hero especially was surprisingly good.

Blizzard, limit photon overcharge to one nexus at a time. Make protoss actually chose something for once.

survivor

Banned
Late on this, but saw most of his games, and thought they were good. His pvp series against Hero especially was surprisingly good.

Blizzard, limit photon overcharge to one nexus at a time. Make protoss actually chose something for once.
Thanks, looks like I gotta check them out later today.

Also jjakji just got protossed hard.

SamuraiX-

Choke on all of the cocks, Patience.

I'm gonna flip tables if Dear advances over jjakji.

Is the quarterfinals seriously gonna be a bunch of Protoss scum plus Jaedong? Hurry the fuck with the balance update, DK.

Aaron

Sure, if the protoss completely forgets about thermal lance.

Dear is playing like ass and still winning.

Been out all day so I've been catching only some games. QXC played so well but toss...

Anyways wtf Dear lol. Playing terrible but power of Toss is keeping him up.

survivor

Banned
Really don't know what is up with Dear. His games in 2014 so far don't look like from someone who won a GSL and WCS season finals 5 months ago.

Finished watching Rain's games and he on the other hand looks extremely solid.

SamuraiX-

Really don't know what is up with Dear. His games in 2014 so far don't look like from someone who won a GSL and WCS season finals 5 months ago.

All you have to do is look at what race he plays and then everything makes sense. He's probably also tired of winning so he most likely hasn't been practicing at all since BlizzCon. Although he did make the finals of ASUS ROG Winter...

Finished watching Rain's games and he on the other hand looks extremely solid.

Rain is the motherfucking truth. When he's practiced he's nearly unstoppable. It's such a damn shame he wastes his talents by playing Protoss.

Aaron

Polt just annihilated Stardust 2-0 with multi-pronged, marauder heavy attacks. He's going to get terran nerfed. He looked unstoppable.

Man SC2 threads can be painful to read at the moment. Hey i think we get it, protoss is doing pretty well right now and terran is struggling. I'm pretty sure i didn't see nearly this much complaining in WoL when the reverse happened.

Top Bottom