• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: IEM VIII World Championship – SC2 ($100,000 Winner-Takes-All), LoL & Hearthstone!

kasane

Nah taeja lost all the motivation to play

w/e

ßthePenguin;104373126 said:
Couldn't watch game 2, what happened?

taeja floated to gold on habitation station

all his proxies were spotted and he gg'd

Edit 2: wow photon overcharge is so long its absurd

Edit 3: Yay i guess

Zen

Banned
Taeja won that by accident, maybe it will motivate him to try in the next game.

EDIT: Stardust ggs before the attack, at least give the crowd the satisfaction.

Zen

Banned
Man, I haven't followed professional SC2 for a year or two, but what I've seen from this tourney so far has been rough.

This is really unexpected to be honest. It is a complete anomaly to what you usually see in proleague/WCS/GSL.

Maybe it being a winner take all tournament means that a lot of players who do not believe they will win are not in the mood to waste their time?

zargle

Now that I think about it, having read the interview with Taeja on TL from yesterday or two days ago, his actions/mindset so far makes perfect sense. That interview was super odd.

Aggression with no real follow-up plan behind it, Platnium-League forcefields from Cheesedust. All around bad game. Really disappointing day till now.

zargle

Sorry, can you link it?

I'll just post, its not that long. They interviewed all/most of the contestants this last week or so.

You're one of the two invited players at IEM Katowice alongside sOs. How do you feel about getting invited?
I've never competed in an IEM before, so I'm glad I'm getting such a nice chance.

You're the king of $10,000 tournaments. Now you have a chance to make $100,000. Does that change the way you approach this tournament?
No, it doesn't change it. I just want to take first place because that's the only placement that has prize money.

There's a lot of talk around that format. What do you think about it personally?
I think second place will suffer a big blow.

So you want a better distribution?
Yes.

Some people are worried about your form or your mentality these days. What do you think?
I don't think I'm playing as well as I was before. Still, I'm trying to work hard.

What are your chances of winning then?

1 hour later

Are you alive?

20 minutes later

I think it's possible as long as I don't meet a Protoss in the early rounds.

Other players are doing pretty good in TvP due to the mine changes. It's still hard for you then?
TvP does happen to be easier than TvZ. However, because the common opinion is that TvP is hard, it ends up feeling hard to me as well. I think it will be okay to face a Protoss player.

San says you're one of the championship candidates for this tournament. Your thoughts?
The reason San says he can't win is because he actually does think he can win.

So who do you think are the top candidates to win? San?
And Life.

And you?
I don't know, I get nervous when I play these days.

So humble! Other players like PartinG and Life seem to get arrogant when they win. What do you think about that kind of attitude?

90 minutes later

It's good that they can be confident.

Good as in you're envious?
Yes

Ugh, GG. Let's just wrap. Anything you want to say to end?
I'll practice hard and try to win as many tournaments as I can in 2014.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/445902-jjakji-and-taeja-interviews-road-to-iem-katowice

zargle

whats weird about the interview? seems normal to me

I didnt think it was overly weird, just that he expressed a bit of nervousness/uncertainty about his skill and his chances to win, which I think was reflected in those first couple of games.

kasane

I didnt think it was overly weird, just that he expressed a bit of nervousness/uncertainty about his skill and his chances to win, which I think was reflected in those first couple of games.

well yeah its winner takes all of the 100k

ill be nervous too

i guess

Yeah. TaeJa should be really ashamed of himself. StarDust is a lower tier player. No shame in that. He's not toplevel material but he tries, often especially against opponents who he is certainly worse against with cheeses.

But Taeja showing these shannigans, I don't know. Maybe something is just off for him right now, private issues or whatever. Doesn't really look focussed nor enjoying himself.

Najaf

Wait... So he was saying that they could hear the commentators in the booths? So when they proclaimed he was proxying at the start, it was basically over? It did not seem like there was a reaction in game to the gasps when the scout found it; like he knew it was there. Over $100,000 I'd be pissed too to have it be due to a poor setup.

What am I missing, or is everyone mad that he simply did not continue?

Syf

Banned
What am I missing, or is everyone mad that he simply did not continue?
I think that's about it. Yeah if his proxy was discovered because of the lack of soundproofing that's reason to be frustrated. But he was the only foreign player in this tournament so quite a few of the fans probably came to cheer for him, so for him to quit after just one game disappointed a lot of people. As for it possibly being his final SC2 appearance, he previously stated that he'd be taking an indefinite break from the game after this tournament.

Also, TvZ. <3<3

calder

I got irrationally pumped that the CC just beat the creep there.

EDIT: apparently a giant pack of banes beats a line of retreating SCV's.

Top Bottom