• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If a Konami IP fire sale were to happen, who would you want to get each IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad.T

Banned
Konami isn't dead yet. They still have Silent Hills in the works without Kojima, as well as some mobile spin-offs of other IP's and PES. This is just a "What If" scenario.

Now, with that disclaimer out of the way, I can begin.

Hudson Soft's IP's go to Nintendo. I know, I know, not a good start to be crying out "NINTENDO SHOULD BUY THE WORLD", but hear me out. Hudson and Nintendo are essentially bros (In the non-biological sense). They were the first 3rd party to develop for the Famicom, Nintendo consoles had the lion's share of their non-PC Engine titles, they developed quite a few Mario spinoffs (Including Mario Party 1-8 and smaller puzzle games) and even have a big pile of staff members working for them through ND Cube. It's safe to say that the two have a shared history together.
So what could the big N gather from this acquisition? A more traditional fighting game series in Bloody Roar. More series to use for platformers (Bonk, Adventure Island), Party games in the likes of Bomberman and Momotaro Dentetsu. A SHUMP series all their own with Star Soldier/Other Hudson Soft SHUMPS. And a host of other series to use for retro remakes, Smash Bros fighters and VC stopgaps. It seems like a win-win scenario to me, but it probably isn't that simple. But you know, armchair analysts and such.

Castlevania goes to Sony. LOS has pulled quite a bit from SotC and GoW, why not go full circle? Plus any 2D games can be given to one of the smaller studios. (If they want to produce any 2D games, that is.)

Metal Gear is tricky. If it was given to Platinum, we'd have the opportunity for more Rising, but the prospects of the main series would look grim. Vice Versa for if it was given to someone who is great at the style of the Solid series, but couldn't handle the high-octane rules of nature of the Rising series. For now, I'll just say Sony.

Contra's never really gotten a definitive 3D entry, but since there was talks that the canceled reboot would be more Gears Of War-like, maybe MS?

Frogger's dead, so just give it to whoever. Same goes for one-note arcade titles like Pooyan and Ye-Ar-Kung-Fu.

Silent Hill needs to go to someone who understands psychological horror, but also to someone who can make it successful again. Maybe Bethesda? I heard a lot of good things about The Evil Within.

All of the SHUMPS (Gradius, Salamander, Twinbee, Parodius, XEXEX, Otomedius, etc...) should go to Cave. The dev needs some recognizable series under their belt so that more people can check out their earlier works. Essentially, build them up as a respected brand name for SHUMPS in the eyes of the general game player. (Instead of just being a god to a hardcore niche)

Not sure on the sports titles like Track and Field/Rumble Roses or dating sims like Tokimeki Memorial/LovePlus. Yu-Gi-Oh seems like it could be done by anyone but Konami, so have at it, I guess.

Goemon goes to Nintendo, but only because most of the series' staff lives on at Goodfeel, which IIRC is fully owned by Nintendo.

If the Rock Band reboot goes well, Harmonix should look into getting the Bennami line up. ____mania, DDR, Pop'N'Music and Rock Band under one roof? Yes, please.

Suidoken seems like it could work with either Sony or Atlus, but I'm skeptical of it even being looked at in a IP sale. Same goes with Policenauts. Silent Scope and Zone of The Enders also seem like titles that would just be lost in the shuffle.

Licensed titles go back to their current holder. X-Men to Disney Interactive, Simpsons to EA, TMNT to Activision, Asterix to... whoever owns him now?

As for any other ones I'm missing? Make it a free-for-all for any dev (Including indie devs) to purchase and go nuts. Rakuga Kids gets bought by Lab Zero, Rocket Knight by Yacht Club games, Doctor Laurtec by Ubisoft, Dewy's Adventure by TellTale, just go crazy.

cafemomo

Metal Gear is tricky. If it was given to Platinum, we'd have the opportunity for more Rising, but the prospects of the main series would look grim. Vice Versa for if it was given to someone who is great at the style of the Solid series, but couldn't handle the high-octane rules of nature of the Rising series. For now, I'll just say Sony.

It's not Metal Gear without Kojima.

I'd rather have it dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom