• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If a Smash port gets announced for Switch it can finally fix the one thing I hate

This is pretty much how I feel at this point. IMO Smash 4 is done, Sakurai has moved on.

I get the feeling that he might not be working on Smash 5 at the moment, either. Since Melee, he's always made some original projects between each Smash game, such as Air Ride, Meteos, and Kid Icarus Uprising. The dude worked on SSB4 from like 2012-2016. I'd think he'd want to take a break from Smash and do something else before coming back.

I personally hope this is the case, as Sakurai's frankly too interesting a game designer to be locked into SSB in perpetuity (and I adored Meteos), but I wonder if an enhanced/complete port that builds directly on SSB4 would be made more likely by Sakurai withdrawing involvement for now, especially as Iwata is no longer around as the primary point of contact bringing him in. This was the backup plan for a Sakurai-less Smash in the past.

But it's definitely true that the window in which a port would have been a good idea is rapidly passing as by. As with Pokémon, demand will shift to the expectation of a full sequel by the time we hit 2018, especially now that the Switch does not look in need of urgent help. I'll miss the SSB4 roster, that's all, as I think we can expect a lot of cuts, and I was personally holding off on the DLC despite being interested in case we received a complete edition.

2017 is an unusually busy year for Nintendo online multiplayer to establish a base for the online service, but 2018 is conspicuously missing a big gun on the online front to retain the membership past the first year (unless that aspect is pushed very hard by Pokémon). SSB is clearly the biggest known multiplayer series left, and therefore a very good guess for what will fill that slot, but if it's set to be a full SSB5 I just don't see it coming that soon. Both the Wii and Wii U received it after the platform's second holiday.

Dr. Worm

Banned
huge041.jpg

trixx

I don't understand why and what they should add or do for smash 5. Smash 4 is fine, add all the dlc, stages and costumes on one cartridge. Why is a new game needed?

A new game at this point would be redundant, you'll get a smash 4 port. So Super Smash Bros Deluxe or whatever.

godeveau

Super Smash Bros. 4.5 Turbo Ultra Code [Hyper] Cross DX Sharp Alter Alpha Plus : Gold RMX Evolution Championship Extend.

I don't understand why and what they should add or do for smash 5. Smash 4 is fine, add all the dlc, stages and costumes on one cartridge. Why is a new game needed?

A new game at this point would be redundant, you'll get a smash 4 port. So Super Smash Bros Deluxe or whatever.

I'm sure they'll find something to justify a new game.

Thores

Yes, but people want to feel like they haven't missed anything by skipping the Wii U more.
I bought both the Wii U and 3DS versions, and I STILL would like a Switch port.

Buying all of the DLC for the current versions right now costs more than the game itself. If I wait to buy a Switch version with all the content for $60, I'm actually saving money.

Branduil

Thought this thread would be a gripe about the game itself, like how the main Smash mode is always set to 2 minute time matches whenever you turn on the game.

It can support eight controllers, with each Joy-Con counting as a separate controller even if used in tandem.

I would guess that Smash would be playable using a single Joy-Con, at least to the same extent it's playable with a single Wii Remote.

Single joy-con would be far more playable than the Wiimote, considering it has a real analog stick, 4 face buttons, and 2 shoulder buttons.

Branduil

I think Switch Smash will be based on the engine of Smash 4, but there's a lot of stuff that's happened since that game was released. Splatoon, ARMS, Mario Odyssey, BotW, etc. So at the very least I think new characters and stages, as well as redesigns of some mainstays are called for.

Smash Bros. Deluxe would just confuse buyers of a future games. Especially as it indicates a deluxe version of the N64 game.

It'll be Super Smash Bros. for Switch.

Sakurai like that descriptor.

Though at this point I think a new entry based on 4 is likely and will just be called Smash Bros. Switch.

Neoxon

Wasn't Melee actually titled Deluxe in Japan? Doubt they'd use it again.
That's why I think it'll just be Smash for Switch if we get a port (which I'm starting to have second thoughts about with each passing day).

Also, I thought you were SneakersSO for a moment with that avatar.

If it has more content than a normal upgrade like a remaster or MK8 Deluxe, maybe they'll just call it Super Smash Brothers 4? It is technically the fourth entry in the series. I wouldn't mind a half step that does more than Mario Kart 8D but isn't a full new game.

It'll probably just be Super Smash Brothers for Switch, though tbh it'd be funny if they just had Wii U and 3DS on the cover but they were crossed out with Switch pasted over.

Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch makes the most sense, but on the other hand, there's no need for it this time because there isn't going to be two versions.

Do they? It's a 3 year old game. Time for a new one.

But yeah the titles for Wii U were pretty dumb. :p

Wishful thinking, what fighting series gets a new installment after 3 years? It's usually a 6/7 year gap.

I don't think it's going to be a direct port, since it isn't coming out this holiday. But I do think it's going to be heavily based on the Wii U version.

Thought this thread would be a gripe about the game itself, like how the main Smash mode is always set to 2 minute time matches whenever you turn on the game.

It can support eight controllers, with each Joy-Con counting as a separate controller even if used in tandem.

I would guess that Smash would be playable using a single Joy-Con, at least to the same extent it's playable with a single Wii Remote.

And for 8 joy-con players I don't see why they couldn't have local multi ala Mario Kart which can do 2-players per console local together. We tend to think of Switch multi the same way we do home consoles, but Switch just like 3DS Smash has more ways to connect multiplayer.

Smash with 8 players across two consoles would be pretty reasonable as an option (4 on each)

Just for the record, the hitstun modifer has been more or less the same as it's been since Melee.

It's just that Brawl and Smash 4 introduced a bunch of changes to the games' mechanics and general character balance that make it harder to pull off intricate combos. Brawl gave you the ability to airdodge straight out of hitstun and tumble. Smash 4 removed the former but retained the latter, which is why combos are more abundant than in Brawl but not as much as in Melee.

There's also the fact that the frame data of the cast is slower across the board, and their attacks also produce much more knockback, which again makes it harder to do proper follow ups.

I don't think it will be Super Smash Bros for Switch, since that implies an entirely new entry. It will definitely be Super Smash Bros for Wii U Deluxe

L Thammy

Smash Bros: Super Fuck OP Turbo Edition

Nah, you're right OP, the title feels too industrial. But I don't think it'll change.

I don't think it will be Super Smash Bros for Switch, since that implies an entirely new entry. It will definitely be Super Smash Bros for Wii U Deluxe

But it wouldn't be "for Wii U", that's just all sorts of confusing and implies that it would be a port only of the Wii U content which hopefully wouldn't be the case. For Switch doesn't imply a new entry at all, it runs by the same naming convention of the last game. A new entry will have an entirely new name like we saw from SSB -> Melee -> Brawl -> "for" -> [next entry]

4 Wii U came months after 4 3DS and nobody was under the impression that U was a new entry.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Why not just continue with the previous naming convention before SSB4 borked it all up?

- Super Smash Bros. Rumble
- Super Smash Bros. Skirmish
- Super Smash Bros. Tussle
- Super Smash Bros. Quarrel
- Super Smash Bros. Chaos
- Super Smash Bros. Massacre
- Super Smash Bros. Scuffle

Any of these would be better than some dumb, boring number. Your welcome Sakurai/Nintendo/gaf.

BooJoh

Super Smash Bros. for Switch
or
Super Smash Bros. for Switch DX

Super Smash Bros. for Rooftop Parties

or if it's a new entry...

NEW Super Smash Bros.

:p

Top Bottom