• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If all we do in Resident Evil 4 is shoot and kill, then why the praise?

sphinx

the piano man
Every single, every single set piece fight is unique in design and what you need to do. It's one of the most tightly designed and polished games I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

I gotta say... once I arrived in the Island, a bit of boredom because of mindlesssly shooting things began to set in. it was all cover/shoot.

I see your point, that every time you crossed a checkpoint, there was a "twist" to the shooting and killing but in the later part of the game it began to drag a bit.

My perfect RE4 would be half the Island with a short leading-up to the fight with saddler.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yes, sorry. "Survival horror" is not and never will be an actual genre of games, as it is a far too vague label that does not say anything useful about the mechanics of the game nor the content built around the mechanics beyond "it's scary and you have to survive!" -- the scary portion being far too subjective, and the survive portion being true for nearly every game ever made.

RE0-3 are third person shooters with fixed camera angles and objective controls.

I gotta say... once I arrived in the Island, a bit of boredom because of mindlesssly shooting things began to set in. it was all cover/shoot.

I see your point, that every time you crossed a checkpoint, there was a "twist" to the shooting and killing but in the later part of the game it began to drag a bit.

My perfect RE4 would be half the Island with a short leading-up to the fight with saddler.
->
If you are shooting things (and nothing else) to kill them, you are playing the game wrong.

Replicant

Overrated game IMO. The downfall of RE series from my perspective. Gone are the dark hallways. Instead we have Napoleon midget and giant trolls as enemies. UGH.

"Gun's not just about shootin'. It's about reloadin'. You'll know what I'm talkin' about!"

In other words, it's not just about the action.

Yasae

Banned
Yes, sorry. "Survival horror" is not and never will be an actual genre of games, as it is a far too vague label that does not say anything useful about the mechanics of the game nor the content built around the mechanics beyond "it's scary and you have to survive!" -- the scary portion being far too subjective, and the survive portion being true for nearly every game ever made.

RE0-3 are third person shooters with fixed camera angles and objective controls.
Even if this were true - and it's not - you simply can't make the argument that the gameplay has pretty much stayed the same from the old PSX REs compared to RE4. Night is not day.

Nemesis_

I think it's overrated but I still think it's very good. The pacing is just perfect and is something many games these days tend to get very wrong.

Raziel

RE4 was much more palatable last gen when the over-the-shoulder TPS was actually a new and one of a kind thing.

It's always been a really repetitive shooter where you kill 10,000 ganados/illumandos/commandos. And that either made it feel overlong, or it just was -- one of the two. Also, it's controls age worse seemingly every day.

Overrated game IMO. The downfall of RE series from my perspective. Gone are the dark hallways. Instead we have Napoleon midget and giant trolls as enemies. UGH.

As opposed to the dude who crossdressed as his sister and the dude whose plan involved getting stabbed through the torso as an integral part of it?

If you ever took RE villains seriously that's not RE's fault.

lexi

Banned
I'm replaying this game as we speak on Dolphin with a 360 controller. This will be maybe my 10th play-through, and I am still in love with it. Hyperbole doesn't even begin to approach just how well this game comes together. RE4 is underrated if anything, It belongs in some non-existent hall-of-fame on how to absolutely perfectly fucking nail the whole gaming experience.

The Atmosphere is perfect, it's like an amazing B-movie in tone, dialogue, characters -- but with a masterfully executed game underneath.

This game ran a clinic on how to make games, who the developer themselves failed miserably emulating with RE5. I have doubts RE4 will ever be matched, let alone eclipsed.

I was actually considering making a thread about it, to espouse my sheer and unadultered pure fireworks-going-off-in-the-sky joy and love for this game, but I suppose this post will have to do.

sphinx

the piano man
As opposed to the dude who crossdressed as his sister and the dude whose plan involved getting stabbed through the torso as an integral part of it?

that was actually pretty awesome and the most daring thing capcom has done with any RE character.

I did like salazar, but the main boss from the village just before the entrance to the castle, can't even remember his name, that one had no personality whatsoever.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Even if this were true - and it's not - you simply can't make the argument that the gameplay has pretty much stayed the same from the old PSX REs compared to RE4. Night is not day.
I did not make that argument. I am contesting your use of "shooter" as some pejorative stand-in for actual criticism and comparison, in addition to pointing out how what you say makes no sense anyways considering they are all shooters.

News Bot

Banned

Alfred was awesome, horrible voice aside.

Risette

A Good Citizen
RE4 was much more palatable last gen when the over-the-shoulder TPS was actually a new and one of a kind thing.

It's always been a really repetitive shooter where you kill 10,000 ganados/illumandos/commandos. And that either made it feel overlong, or it just was -- one of the two. Also, it's controls age worse seemingly every day.
It's only been a really repetitive shooter because you played it that way. It's one of those games that gives as much as you put into it, I guess.

Also, lol at controls (or games in general) "aging." They were either always good or always bad. Pick one.

Shimesaba

I don't know why it's so praised either. It was a decent game but went on for far too long given how little there was to do.
Really? I haven't played terribly many TPS's, but every one I have has felt less intricate than RE4, which I'd say is fairly linear but doesn't feel like it.. What do you have in mind?

It's an example of pitch-perfect game design. Everything about it is finely tuned to be interesting, unique, and enjoyable.

goldenpp72

This topic could go for any game.. All you do in mario is jump, all you do in halo is shoot, and all you do in gran turismo is drive.

sphinx

the piano man
It's only been a really repetitive shooter because you played it that way. It's one of those games that gives as much as you put into it, I guess.

Also, lol at controls (or games in general) "aging." They were either always good or always bad. Pick one.

you imply that Mikami & Co. expected from us to do something else with the game besides shooting and I don't think that's the case, unless we are talking about knife-only playthroughs and optional stuff.

I think they made this one perfect shooting mechanic and proceeded to get creative with the enviroments and hoped for the best and it worked.

BlueWord

Resident Evil 4 was a consistently excellent game across the board, with each individual encounter and situation bringing something memorable, if not outright novel, to the table.

It's a great game, regardless of whether or not it was mostly just "shooting and killing". The main game is so well-designed, and the post-game features so extensive. I really wish I could experience the game fresh all over again.

Because it isn't just that; it's exploring, and some light puzzling. The environments are fantastic, the levels are creepy. The boss characters are genuinely scary, something that would cease to be in later instalments.

resident-evil-5-20090306024903331.jpg

"You twose are just in tyme for the fireworks show!"

Raziel

well then i guess it wouldnt make much sense to go with anything other than 'always bad.'

Anth0ny

all you do in mario is jump on shit

all you do in zelda is beat dungeons

RE4 is the best game of last gen because of its flawless controls, brilliant pacing, cheesy (awesome) story, great puzzles, awesome boss battles, atmosphere, music... the list goes on and on. It deserves all the praise it gets, and more.

Risette

A Good Citizen
you imply that Mikami & Co. expected from us to do something else with the game besides shooting and I don't think that's the case, unless we are talking about knife-only playthroughs and optional stuff.

I think they made this one perfect shooting mechanic and proceeded to get creative with the enviroments and hoped for the best and it worked.
uhhhhhh

For example, you know those detailed hit reaction animations that happen after shooting? Those aren't there for nothing. It's telling you what context-sensitive melee action you can follow up with.

There is a lot to RE4's combat. Guns are the main tool, yes, but not the only.
well then i guess it wouldnt make much sense to go with anything other than 'always bad.'
Now tell us why.

uhhhhhh

For example, you know those detailed hit reaction animations that happen after shooting? Those aren't there for nothing. It's telling you what context-sensitive melee action you can follow up with.

There is a lot to RE4's combat. Guns are the main tool, yes, but not the only.

"Shoot->Stagger->Melee" might be the most satisfying gameplay loop ever. Never gets old.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It's such a perfect game. My god, just reading this thread makes me want to replay this fucking god damn masterpiece of a game and I've done it about 8 times now. Never a dull moment, IMO.

plainr_

To my memory, RE4 revolutionized the 3rd person shooter and figured out how to make them not suck by offsetting the player character to the side of the screen.

So RE4 was the game that made over-the-shoulder view the ideal perspective for modern TPS games? Well, fuck RE4 then.

FyreWulff

Pacing, variety of locations (which is impressive considering it all takes place in Spain).

There's always a bit of a slow part to let you relax, then OHFUCKOHSHITOHFUCK, then a mystery/puzzly part, then OHFUCKSHITFUCKFUCKFUCK, then a relaxing break that never overstays it's welcome. I cannot think of a part of the game where I thought "this sucks, I want to leave".

Also, I credit the fact that there was Nintendo oversight on the project and it really felt like Shinji Mikami made a game that he really loved for once instead of going through the motions and repeating what he did before. It's a shame they've just stayed in RE4 mode since then.

Also interesting to think that a GameCube game started the whole dudebro 3rd person genre. It was just done so well. Unfortunately in the future, people might view it as meh if the style gets run into the ground, but that's the way it goes (look at how bullet time was run into the ground after The Matrix)

Because shooting isn't the only thing you do in the game, believe it or not. And it's not the only thing the game excels at (though the shooting mechanics work extremely well within the game's confines).

->
Finally someone who sees things the way I do. Survival Horror will always be subjective. RE4 had scarier moments to me than the entirety of RE2, for example.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Consistently well designed encounters throughout a lengthy adventure with a lot of environmental and combat diversity, and it has a ton of content even after you complete the main game.

boom baby! this right here and add to that a deep atmosphere and we have one the best games ever created.

Even if you are doing the same task over and over again the game felt fresh from beginning to end and it feels good threw replays.

Replicant

Err, what's wrong with that? Unless you're homophobic, it's perfectly acceptable within the realm of horror scenarios that the original RE proposed (people not being who they portrayed in public). I wasn't, however, prepared for a return to the middle-earth with giant trolls and all of the circus-level shenanigans of RE4.

Uh, there's TONS of treasure collecting, and finding the right components to get the most valuble rarities to sell to the merchant. I spent a long time combing the areas for treasures.

lexi

Banned
Err, what's wrong with that? Unless you're homophobic, it's perfectly acceptable within the realm of horror scenarios that the original RE proposed (people not being who they portrayed in public). I wasn't, however, prepared for a return to the middle-earth with giant trolls and all of the circus-level shenanigans of RE4.

They may aswell not have even bothered calling this a RE game, and that's one of the games best attributes. Resident Evil sucked when it was Alone in the Dark in 1992, and it sucks today even more.

It's one thing to cross-dress, it's another thing entirely to cross-dress as your
"dead"
sister and adopt her persona.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I have a serious question to the RE4 haters.

Did you find any serious faults with the game besides it not being " a real" resident evil ?

'The original RE' was campy schlock, as are all other REs after it. That's part of the charm. Yes, Alfred is not out of place in the wider menagerie of RE villains. They are all ridiculous assclowns. That is the entire point.

Did you find any serious faults with the game besides it not being " a real" resident evil ?

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's almost too good.

Also worth mentioning is the economy. The player's cashflow and pacing of new stuff unlocking in the store are tuned to be ridiculously addicting.

apana

Resident Evil 4 Wii was an incredible game. I've decided never to play anymore Resident Evil games so that those are my only memories of the franchise.

Yasae

Banned
I did not make that argument. I am contesting your use of "shooter" as some pejorative stand-in for actual criticism and comparison, in addition to pointing out how what you say makes no sense anyways considering they are all shooters.
What you're doing is arguing genre semantics for no real reason. They've got guns and therefore they're shooters. Right, but that's not what actually matters.

Now the vast differences in gameplay? Another story.

Jawmuncher

Do you have any serious faults with the game besides it not being " a real" resident evil ?

Don't get me wrong I love RE4, but i'm still a little sour towards it becuase it always seems to get a free pass in that regard.
RE5 sucks its not a resident evil game.
RE5 sucks you can't move and shoot.
ETC
You know all these complaints about RE5 when RE4 had the exact same things, but no one brings it up. Just seems really unfair.

If you care about that I would suggest agitating to get RE6s whole camera system put back the way it was meant to be!

:0)

That really does need to happen.

Don't get me wrong I love RE4, but i'm still a little sour towards it becuase it always seems to get a free pass in that regard.

RE5 sucks its not a resident evil game.
RE5 sucks you can't move and shoot.
ETC

You know all these complaints about RE5 when RE4 had the exact same things, but no one brings it up. Just seems really unfair.

It gets a free pass? Those are common complaints I've read about regarding RE4. It just happens to be a much better game than RE5, though, so of course more people praise it.

ErikB

Banned
That really does need to happen.

That is the way the game was meant to be though. Which is apparently important to you.

--

Not that I hate it, but it did bring out the hoarding tendency in me, and I finished the game with a mountain of healing items and ammo that I was still conserving at the end of the game.

Top Bottom